Tim Bogar
Bob Melvin
Randy Ready
Manny Acta
Brad Mills
Al Pedrique
Pete Mackanin

Hope its not Phil Garner

Why would hire someone you fired a few years ago?

Gobbler Fan
10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Can we get new players too ?:p

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Lol. Phil Garner? Seriously? :doh:

crzyjournalist03
10-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I think that Brad Mills might be a good choice.

carter08
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
ned yost.

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
Who do yall favor for Astros new manager

Here are top 10 that will be interviewed

Phil Garner
Dave Clark
Ned Yost
Tim Bogar
Bob Melvin
Randy Ready
Manny Acta
Brad Mills
Al Pedrique
Pete Mackanin

Hope its not Phil Garner

Why would hire someone you fired a few years ago?

Steinbrenner fired Billy Martin about 3 times and kept hiring him back..

:D :rolleyes:

zebrablue2
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
i say bring back scrap-iron, he will fit the team, and beside's, he did lead them to the only world series they have ever been in.

SWMustang
10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Tim Bogar

Gobbla2001
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not anti-Phil Garner, like the guy, thought he was a great manager and did about as well as expected with the Astro talent in his final days, but this about sums it up for the suits running that show... "Yah, we fired you two years ago because we didn't think you were a good manager, but let's hire you again, why the hell not?"...

Maroon87
10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
If Richard Justice wrote in the Chronicle that the Astros should hire Kermit the Frog as manager, then Drayton would hire Kermit the Frog.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
If Richard Justice wrote in the Chronicle that the Astros should hire Kermit the Frog as manager, then Drayton would hire Kermit the Frog.

Drayton makes about as much sense as a VCR repair man...

dawg4life
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
i know its not in the cards, but id like ol' Larry Derker to come back

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Tim Bogar

Why?
What's your thinking on it?

Astrosdawg07
10-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Why?
What's your thinking on it?

One he has a great MINOR League record, I know its not the majors but you have to start somewhere. Also has was admired by his teammates for his baseball smarts and knowledge of the game.

Astrosdawg07
10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I'm not anti-Phil Garner, like the guy, thought he was a great manager and did about as well as expected with the Astro talent in his final days, but this about sums it up for the suits running that show... "Yah, we fired you two years ago because we didn't think you were a good manager, but let's hire you again, why the hell not?"...

Drayton likes to fire managers then realize what the actual problem is. A depleted farm system that until this past years draft and even '07 was only getting worse. After Garner was fired if you didn't notice Coop didn't do much better.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Drayton likes to fire managers then realize what the actual problem is. A depleted farm system that until this past years draft and even '07 was only getting worse. After Garner was fired if you didn't notice Coop didn't do much better.

I don't think there's a serious Astros fan out there that believes managing has been the problem... Just think how bad this year would have been if Wandy hadn't shown up...

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I don't think there's a serious Astros fan out there that believes managing has been the problem... Just think how bad this year would have been if Wandy hadn't shown up...
:thinking:

It woulda been a :doh: :doh: instead of just a :doh: !!!

Maroon87
10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Does it ever strike anyone as funny how fast the Marlins rebuild? They'll be last for a year and then before you know it they're contending. I always find myself wondering "why can't the Astros do that?"

Maroon87
10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Astros coach Cruz not retained
Popular first base coach: 'All the coaches were let go'
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:07PM

Franchise icon Jose Cruz, one of the most popular coaches in Astros history, was shocked when Tal Smith and Ed Wade told him his services as a major league coach will no longer be needed with the club.

“I couldn’t say anything,” said Cruz, who played with the Astros from 1975 through 1987. “I couldn’t speak. I was a bit shocked. I don’t know how to explain it. I was a bit in shock. It’s not something you’d expect. I thanked them for 13 years. It’s been a long time.

“I thanked Ed Wade and Tal Smith and we hugged each other. I have to decide soon. I’m still thinking what I will do. They changed my position. They just told me they were going to change my position. My head wasn’t thinking at that point. I didn’t know what to say. I just said everything was fine. Nothing. I don’t know how to explain it. I couldn’t speak much because the words didn’t come out.”

Cruz, 62, said he was offered a role similar to the community outreach jobs held by Larry Dierker and Jimmy Wynn.

“I’ll be working like Larry Dierker and Jimmy Wynn,” said Cruz, who hasn’t considered whether he’ll accept the reassignment. “It was sad because I felt real good as a coach. That’s part of the front office’s decision. They’re making changes, and it’s bad luck that I had to be part of this coaching staff. It wasn’t just me. All the coaches were let go.”

Wade informed Cecil Cooper’s coaching staff that they were free to look for employment elsewhere when Cooper was fired on Sept. 21. Only third base coach Dave Clark, who was promoted to interim manager, was guaranteed a shot at the manager’s position.

Cruz, a native of Puerto Rico, has made his home in Houston since he joined the club. He raised his family here, sending two sons to star at Rice and a daughter to Texas A&M and eventually through law school.

His No. 25 has been retired since Oct. 3, 1992. Cruz just finished his 13th season as the first base coach of the Astros, serving Dierker, Jimy Williams, Phil Garner and Cooper.

Astrosdawg07
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Does it ever strike anyone as funny how fast the Marlins rebuild? They'll be last for a year and then before you know it they're contending. I always find myself wondering "why can't the Astros do that?"

Drayton won't settle for anything less than trying to put a competitive team on the field, even if that means hurting the future. He'll keep signing the Carlos Lee's just to stay some what competitive.

SHSBulldog00
10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I can't believe the Astros got rid of Jose Cruz. He is one of the best Astros ever.

carter08
10-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Drayton won't settle for anything less than trying to put a competitive team on the field, even if that means hurting the future. He'll keep signing the Carlos Lee's just to stay some what competitive.

exactly, and most teams have this mentality. the marlins are one of the only ones who constantly have these epic firesales and are able to rebuild and be contenders. you have to completely give up on a few seasons to succeed like that, drayton will never do it.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by carter08
exactly, and most teams have this mentality. the marlins are one of the only ones who constantly have these epic firesales and are able to rebuild and be contenders. you have to completely give up on a few seasons to succeed like that, drayton will never do it. But look at the Marlins home attendance.

GetRDoneStangs
10-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I can't believe the Astros got rid of Jose Cruz. He is one of the best Astros ever.

Yea, he was a darn good player...very "stuck up" for his time. I tried to get an autograph one time (I was really close and he just looked and acted like I wasn't there) I guess it goes with being a star.

My favorite Astro of all time is.....

Ceasar Cedano !!!!

He was a good one as well!!

SHSBulldog00
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I remember Cedeno he was really undervalued.

Maroon87
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I remember Cedeno he was really undervalued.

Remember Cedeno breaking his ankle in the '80 NLCS vs. the Philles? That wasn't pretty...:eek: