PDA

View Full Version : Crazy finish from Michigan HS football

Maroon87
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001233

Third
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
That's nuts, what a way to win or lose a game.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
They're idiots for not downing the ball after it was blocked just in case.

kaorder1999
10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
great job to that coach on the near sideline pointing and telling the kid to run! thats heads up!

wimbo_pro
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
It's a bad call. Go look...his knee was down when he pick up the ball.

grahampaw
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
The reason his knee was down was because he was the holder.He has the right to get up and keep the ball in play.

Emerson1
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Where is our resident ref for a ruling on the pink team having 20 extra coaches and players running down field with the ball carrier?

I have a bigger problem with the coach being out at the numbers and players coming onto the field then I do the missed knee being down.

zebrablue2
10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
that is pretty crazy! the one wing official thought it was over, he was rumbling-bumbling off the field-LOL. what a finish...

TexMike
10-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Where to start....
1 - Coaches claim an official blew a whistle. I do not hear it but if they did, play was over. Down would be repeated due to the inadvertent whistle.

2 - The exemption that lets the holder have a knee down evaporates when there is no longer a player in position to make a kick or who had just simulated a kick. In this play, the kicker actually kicked so not sure the exemption still exists.

3 - Coaches on the field did not appear to interfere so the penalty would have been handled as a dead ball foul. Since game was over, there would be no penalty enforcement. If refs ruled the coaches did interfere, then you could enforce as a live ball foul.

4 - Only 1 of the officials reacted as if he thought play was over. The other 4 seemed to be "playing on".

5 - How could this happen? I believe the NFHS rules make the ball dead when an extra point kick try gets blocked. I suspect that confused the players.

wimbo_pro
10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by grahampaw
The reason his knee was down was because he was the holder.He has the right to get up and keep the ball in play.

In my view...not true...since the ball had been kicked. Once kicked, his exception doesnt exist, especially since the ball bounced off an opposing player and then onto the ground. He was down. Bad call.

TexMike
10-14-2009, 05:39 AM
There is no way this video shows definitively whether the knee was down when ball was picked up. You cannot even slow it down enough and still get a clear enough picture to make that call based on this video.

jockcity33
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
where are you guys finding the video?

poisoned10
10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
where are you guys finding the video?

In the link provided. It's right in the middle of the page when it pops up.

Move The Chains
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
There is no way this video shows definitively whether the knee was down when ball was picked up. You cannot even slow it down enough and still get a clear enough picture to make that call based on this video. Dude. Are you blind? The video is good quality. If you make it full size, and then watch the replay of it... you can CLEARLY see that his knee was down when he picked the ball up.

hookandladder
10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Dude. Are you blind? The video is good quality. If you make it full size, and then watch the replay of it... you can CLEARLY see that his knee was down when he picked the ball up.

I agree, his knee was down when he picked up the ball. Bad call.

pirate4state
10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Dude. Are you blind? The video is good quality. If you make it full size, and then watch the replay of it... you can CLEARLY see that his knee was down when he picked the ball up.

I agree. That's a terrible way to lose the game. It's impossible to hear a whistle, but apparently the kicking team's coaches knew there wasn't one and alertly instructed their players.

And does anyone else think it's funny that MTC asked an official if he was blind? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sweetwater Red
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

And does anyone else think it's funny that MTC asked an official if he was blind? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Right? I would bet that isn't the first time he has been asked that.

Johnny 5
10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
That's just as bad as the RH vs Giddings call last year :doh: lol

As far as them walking towards the players . . .

It looks like they were watching the ball, to see what would happen.

All the refs were playing the live ball.

jockcity33
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
In the link provided. It's right in the middle of the page when it pops up.

I must be blind because I can not find it.

kaorder1999
10-14-2009, 02:37 PM
simple fact is this could all have been avoided if the team who blocked it did what they were supposed to and downed the ball once it was blocked instead of sitting there and letting the holder hold the ball and stand up. We coach that. Apparantly they dont

Emerson1
10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
What Kaorder said. Watching it live without zooming in right on the knee you can't tell if it's down when he picks up the ball or not.

The team is just mad they lost.

Ranger Mom
10-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
I must be blind because I can not find it.

It looks like the video has been removed now.

I didn't have a link....it just came up on a youtube screen.