PDA

View Full Version : 20 years since Cowboys got a bargain, one year since they got fleeced

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Twenty years ago today, one of the biggest trades in NFL history went down.

The Minnesota Vikings, an underachieving team that was believed to be only a solid tailback away from contending for a Super Bowl appearance, sent a truckload of players and picks to the Cowboys for Herschel Walker.

As Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News explains, folks in Dallas initially didn't like the trade. But coach Jimmy Johnson cared less about the collection of second-tier players and more about the draft picks.

"We just traded Herschel for two ones, three twos and two threes," Johnson said, per Cowlishaw. "You figure out if that's a good trade." (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/101309dnspocowlishaw.323f737.html)

And though the deal helped deliver for the Cowboys three Super Bowl trophies as the Vikings still are waiting (33 years and counting) for a chance to improve their record in title games to 1-4, Cowlishaw points out that the Cowboys didn't celebrate the anniversary of the trade.

That might be due to the fact, as Cowlishaw reasons, that October 14 is the one-year anniversary of the fleecing of the Cowboys by the lowly Lions.

Last year, Dallas sent a first-round pick, a third-round pick, and a sixth-round pick to Detroit for receiver Roy Williams and a seventh-round pick.

In ten games last year, Williams caught 19 passes for 198 yards and one touchdown. In four more games this year, Williams has 11 reception for 214 yards and a score.

In 14 total games, that's a total of 30 catches for 412 yards and two touchdowns.

So, yeah, 19 years after the 'Boys did the hosing, the Cowboys got hosed. But we've got a feeling that the Lions won't have three Lombardi Trophies to show for it in 20 years.

Source (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/12/20-years-since-cowboys-got-a-bargain-one-year-since-they-got-fleeced)

Twirling Time
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Don't forget the Joey Galloway disaster in 2000. They gave up 2 first round picks for him and he blew out his knee in the Pickle Juice game.

Sweetwater Red
10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Where is TxBroadcaster when you need him? He is the one that
enlightened me to the fact that of those draft picks,
Darren Woodsen was the only one that contributed to
those Super Bowl wins and he was right.

Nice of Cowlishaw to bash Detroit for finally doing something right btw. :rolleyes:

Maroon87
10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Don't forget the Joey Galloway disaster in 2000. They gave up 2 first round picks for him and he blew out his knee in the Pickle Juice game.

with the score 34-14 in the 4th quarter...:doh:

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Nice of Cowlishaw to bash Detroit for finally doing something right btw. :rolleyes:

LOL i need to find all that info

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
The Trade

Minnesota Vikings Received
RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received
LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade)

95mustang
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

What about Emmitt Smith. Was he not in this bunch of trading.

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
The Trade

Minnesota Vikings Received
RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received
LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade)

Whatever it was we were discussing at the time it was not that Woodson was the only one, I cant even remember what the actual discussion was.

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
The Cowboys absolutely pillaged the Vikes in this trade...can't you see?

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
The Cowboys absolutely pillaged the Vikes in this trade...can't you see?

Going off the top of my noggin..I think it was Woodson was the only player that was a direct draft pick from the trade that was a true stud and played in all three SBs

Emmit Smith was a trade of a pick with another Cowboy pick and so on

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Alvin Harper was no sloutch...he was opposite Michael Irvin and was used extensively.

This trade also allowed the Cowboys to draft Emmitt. How can you not see this?

ASUFrisbeeStud
10-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I think that Roy will be an impact player, they may have given up too much for him but I think time will tell he will be a great player.

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Alvin Harper was no sloutch...he was opposite Michael Irvin and was used extensively.

This trade also allowed the Cowboys to draft Emmitt. How can you not see this?

LOL again..IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY the topic was picks directly from Minnesota that Dallas used to pick players. Emmit Smith was picked with a draft pick traded to another team, that is not a direct pick

Alvin was great..but he also only played from 1991-94 with Dallas( and a return in 99)

and again I dont even remember for sure what the topic was about