PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on Burnet vs. Wharton game

LogieJoeBean001
11-26-2002, 10:36 AM
I would like to congratulate the Burnet Bulldogs on an outstanding game. You guys definitely came to play ball. I was there and was impressed with all aspects of your game. I was, however, on the losing side. I can honestly say that Wharton just didn't play to their full potential. Also, I know that most of the guys had never been in a playoff situation such as this and were extremely nervous, and it showed. The Wharton quarterback left a lot to be desired and definitely is no scrambler by any stretch of the imagination. There were missed blocks all afternoon, bad field position and a boat load of mental errors; miscues and turnovers. I was wondering why Wharton kept on trying pass plays when it was obvious that they were not working. Of course, it appeared that Burnet also totally shut out Wharton's running game but it did appear that running might have worked a little better. Now, on a different note, I believe in being a gracious winner, as well as a gracious loser and was disturbed by comments made by some young men from the Burnet side. They definitely need a lesson or two on how to be gracious winners. The comments they were making, however may have been warranted, were totally off-color and unneccesary. This really caused me to lose respect for Burnet. I realize that these were just kids and they were probably caught up in the excitement of the game. I'll get off my soapbox now! Good luck to both teams this week playing in San Marcos. I know it'll be an outstanding game. Wish I could be there. By the way, I have to say, "Go all the way again this year Lufkin Panthers, defending 5a Division II State Champs!!!!"

BIG19
11-26-2002, 12:18 PM
LogieJoeBean001:
Now, on a different note, I believe in being a gracious winner, as well as a gracious loser and was disturbed by comments made by some young men from the Burnet side. They definitely need a lesson or two on how to be gracious winners. The comments they were making, however may have been warranted, were totally off-color and unneccesary. This really caused me to lose respect for Burnet. I realize that these were just kids and they were probably caught up in the excitement of the game. I'll get off my soapbox now! Good luck to both teams this week playing in San Marcos. I know it'll be an outstanding game. Wish I could be there. By the way, I have to say, "Go all the way again this year Lufkin Panthers, defending 5a Division II State Champs!!!!"LogieJoeBean001, please do not lump all of Burnet into one big conclusion. As a whole, Burnet is very gracious. Just because the acts/comments of a few were wrong, does not mean that all of Burnet feels that way. From an adult standpoint, the game was just that, a game. A game that sometimes has way to much importance put on it, but a game none the less. I am sorry you left the central Texas area with a bad taste in your mouth - not from the game but from comments made by some immature people. Would like to extend a hand and ask that you come back and see what Burnet and the surrounding areas have to offer. I think you will see that we are indeed a gracious bunch. Just remember, everywhere you go, in life, you are going to run into some that want to just ruin everything. Try to just let those go and concentrate on the good. Have a great Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season!

LogieJoeBean001
11-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Big19,

You are absolutely right. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to revisit the area next year when Wharton makes the playoffs again! Thanks for your comments. May you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday.

DAWGfan
11-26-2002, 03:11 PM
I for one was there and wathced Burnet play their hearts out. Boys will be Boys and nothing you say can affect that. But I have to defend Burnet boys a little. With all the comments that were made by the Wharton fans and players before the game, it was time that Burnet came back and said something. Now I do want to say how shocked I was when I sall Whartons Trainer run out on the feild when Jorden got hurt. That was something else. Thats was VERY classy!!!

whtfbplaya
11-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Ok let me get this straight. I dont know what you are talking about when you say that wharton was talking before the game. And second you think that if one team does or says something that it is good for the other team to do it to.

BIG19
11-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Once again, a young impressionable person talking. Let it go and don't pay it the attention that they are looking for. Things were said and I would bet things were heard that never should have been said/heard. It is over and done with. Let the big person deal with it. Both teams have had a great run and unluckily one had to come to an end. Best of luck to Burnet as they continue and best of luck next year to Wharton (not trying to slight the accomplishments of the Wharton program). As for DAWGfan, be just that a fan and support your team with all you can, don't make them and the people of your community look bad. Remember SPIRIT, PRIDE, and HONOR? That is what this is all about.

LogieJoeBean001
11-26-2002, 04:22 PM
DAWGfan,

I would like to extend my apologies for any rude behavior on the part of any Wharton fans. I'm not even going to attempt to make any excuses for such behavior because there are none. Thank you for the compliment about the Wharton trainer. I'm proud to say that I know her personally and she is just as remarkable a person off the field as on. Thanks again!

Old Dog
11-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Please, would one of the posters from Wharton convey to your trainer a thanks for his coming to the aid of an injured Burnet player (Shipley). As already stated, it was a classy and fine thing to do. That is how the whole thing should be remembered. It was a wonderful display of teaching by example.