PDA

View Full Version : Spread offense

orange machine
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Im sick of watching the spread offense. Every team that Celina has played except Ferris has run the spread. It seems like there is not as much punishing hits.

GreenMonster
10-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Im sick of watching the spread offense. Every team that Celina has played except Ferris has run the spread. It seems like there is not as much punishing hits.

I agree 110%. I hate the spread. What really sucks about it is that it almost forces you to change your own offense to a spread attack just so that your varsity defense gets a decent look Mon-Weds in practice. Otherwise, if you are a Wishbone team per se, Your JV defense will see bone all week in practice and then have to go try to cover spread on Thursday. Furthermore, that same JV team will be forced to run the spread as scout team all week, but they will do a terrible job of it because they too are a bone team. If you want to be able to cover it, then you have to put some form of it into your own package just so that it is not completely foreign to your kids and they have a better chance to succeed against it.

GrTigers6
10-12-2009, 10:18 PM
That works the other way too. When we had to stop Llano last year we struggled do to being used to covering the spread. I.E China Spring, Graham, Breckenridge etc.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Some teams run the spread to throw some for the run. Which kind have ya'll played more.

3 out of 6 of our opponents have run the Wing T.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I would love to see the wing t, power i something other than this spread junk. To me its boreing watching the spread. A little spread mixed in with a power running game just to keep teams honest is one thing, but spread all the time is stupid in my opinion.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
We run the Spread mostly but will get in our Pro I sometimes. Last Friday we ran 48 plays in the rain and I would say 10 were spread. The other 38 were Pro I and Power I. We ran for 302 yards.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
To me football is supposed to be smash mouth line up and hit each other not spread everybody out so one runningback can run up the middle 10 or 15 times a game then your throw the ball the rest. I dont even care to watch college football anymore because everybody runs the spread and its boreing.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the Wing T offense cause we could never stop it enough when I was in school. Aransas Pass use to run it and it drove us crazy.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Like i said anything to me is better than the spread. It will be a matter of time before coaches go back to the running style.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Like i said anything to me is better than the spread. It will be a matter of time before coaches go back to the running style.

The "spread" is nothing more than creating space for your backs and WRs creating mismatches and forcing the D to spread out with you and not just slam 8 in the box..PLENTY of teams us it for almost exclusive running game, and they do it well.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 11:14 PM
All the new coaches and some of the old want to run the Spread because it is quote new. The Wild Cat formation bothers me more because unless he can throw you become one demenional.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The "spread" is nothing more than creating space for your backs and WRs creating mismatches and forcing the D to spread out with you and not just slam 8 in the box..PLENTY of teams us it for almost exclusive running game, and they do it well.

I agree, but its just so boreing. Teams that have a good middle linebacker can stop the runningback in the spread.

Spread It Out
10-12-2009, 11:16 PM
To me it's equally as boring when you have 8 guys in the box and run the ball play, after play, after play for 3 yards a time.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I agree, but its just so boreing. Teams that have a good middle linebacker can stop the runningback in the spread.

see to me seeing two teams have all 8-11 in or around the box is boring.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
To me it's equally as boring when you have 8 guys in the box and run the ball play, after play, after play for 3 yards a time.

If I saw 8 in the box I would throw some to open up the D for the run.

d0tc0m
10-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree with you OM. I hate watching a spread offense, not just at the HS level, but at the College level as well. Sure you put up a lot of points, but I'm an old school traditionalist, who likes those smash-mouth teams that line up to run it down your throat, and mix in some PA. And that gives those mean suckers on defense a chance to just line up and come running downhill at you with the worst of intentions. Thats why I dislike the NFL nowadays, apart from the Cowboys, it's turned into too much of a cupcake league. They'd be better playing two hand touch.

dawg4life
10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
idk. Everyone is saying its about hitting someone, but i like to think of football as a game of intelligence. The spread offense offers that into football. I grew up with the wing-T and I have nothing against it, but its an execution offense, not an intelligent one.

But when you spread the ball out, you have more options and the game can be more than hit the guy across the line. I think the run and shoot offense is a great example of this. It puts less importance on ability and more importance on knowing the game of football.

marler1972
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I like the spread much better than anything else. I wish we would run a little bit of the spread. It opens the game up even for a good running game.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM

Thats just it if you run some spread its fine. For instance Celina is a run 1st team, but they do line up in the spread probably 10 times a game to keep teams honest or if the spread is working and the running is not then they will use the spread. It just gets old seeing the same thing over and over. QB in the gun with one back sometimes two with recievers everywhere and run the same 3 play over and over.

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Also with the Spread the center has to be able to snap. We have had trouble with that.

WTF-82
10-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I would love to see the wing t, power i something other than this spread junk. To me its boreing watching the spread. A little spread mixed in with a power running game just to keep teams honest is one thing, but spread all the time is stupid in my opinion.

I totally agree 100% with you. Some teams try to run this spread and have no clue what they are doing.
I love the way we do it in Monahans balance similar to how Celina does it.

marler1972
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Thats just it if you run some spread its fine. For instance Celina is a run 1st team, but they do line up in the spread probably 10 times a game to keep teams honest or if the spread is working and the running is not then they will use the spread. It just gets old seeing the same thing over and over. QB in the gun with one back sometimes two with recievers everywhere and run the same 3 play over and over.

So you think Dangerfields spread is boring?

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I think the spread has its place in football, but not every single down line up in the gun. Last week against Sanger they did a good job in the 1st half with the spread. In the second half Celina adjusted and started killing the qb. If you have a good defense that can adjust then the spread is pretty worthless from what i have seen.

jlwttu
I love to watch teams that can run the spread well. But when it is run poorly (think Nebraska under Callahan) it is painful to watch.

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by ***-82
Some teams try to run this spread and have no clue what they are doing.

that is not the offense itself's fault but the OC and HC..There are teams that try to run the Slot T, the Wing T, the Pro I and so on that have no clue what they are doing.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
QB in the gun with one back sometimes two with recievers everywhere and run the same 3 play over and over.

Except for the QB in the gun, the same 3 plays over and over sounds ALOT like some power running teams lol

marler1972
10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I think the spread has its place in football, but not every single down line up in the gun. Last week against Sanger they did a good job in the 1st half with the spread. In the second half Celina adjusted and started killing the qb. If you have a good defense that can adjust then the spread is pretty worthless from what i have seen.

That was due to the fact there oline is weak. If i am not mistaken i think they had more passing yrds in the second half. I was wrong on them throwing for more yrds in the second half. I still like the spread better :)

orange machine
10-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
So you think Dangerfields spread is boring?

I dont care if its SLC if you run it none stop and thats all you do yes. DF is good, but they have speed that most teams dont have. If they did not have all the speed they would not be near as good. Besides im not a coach, but i can call DF offense. KOKO up the middle, Boyd up the middle. Throw the ball 25 yeards down the field to the wide out that is like 10ft tall. do the same thing, but run it to the other side and throw to the other side.

Yoe_09
10-12-2009, 11:41 PM

totally agree, I really dont like running the ball time after time again....that is boring. I would much rather run the spread and have some excitement.

Emerson1
10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Running the ball is only boring if the teams suck at it. I imagine watching LH when they were good was pretty cool.

marler1972
10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Running the ball is only boring if the teams suck at it. I imagine watching LH when they were good was pretty cool.

Is coach Ferrell at north forney?

Yoe_09
10-12-2009, 11:55 PM

We played them during that time. It was alright to watch, but still kind of boring.

Spread It Out
10-13-2009, 12:00 AM

Same goes for watching spread offenses. Teams that can execute it to it's full potential are really fun to watch. Someone used the example Daingerfield, to me it'd be fun to watch a team that spreads it out and can throw the ball all over the field. Isn't Gilmer primarily spread? Never seen them play but their QB has gawdy stats and just wondering as to what they run.

Emerson1
10-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
Is coach Ferrell at north forney?
I dunno

GrTigers6
10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Thats just it if you run some spread its fine. For instance Celina is a run 1st team, but they do line up in the spread probably 10 times a game to keep teams honest or if the spread is working and the running is not then they will use the spread. It just gets old seeing the same thing over and over. QB in the gun with one back sometimes two with recievers everywhere and run the same 3 play over and over. We run the spread most of the time but do go under center some. and I guarantee you we have more than 3 plays. Some games we run more than pass and some its the opposite just depends on the opposing team. If you think the spread is boring than either your scared of it or you dont understand it. When we play teams such as Graham, China Spring, Decatur, They are far from boring. Someone can score on any play.

Tiger Turtle
10-13-2009, 07:03 AM
There is nothing more excruciating than watching two bad spread offenses that throw incomplete passes on every down. Clock stops after every play and the game takes forever without much actually getting accomplished. At least if you are a bad running team that suffers though a lot of three and out possessions, the clock runs and the game is over quicker.

waterboy
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM
The spread, if ran properly, can produce a TON of points. You do have to have the right personnel in the right places, and some schools don't have that, which makes it much less effective. Gilmer runs the spread, and it has produced points to the tune of an average of 56 points per game through six games thus far. I think that speaks volumes for how effective it can be.

LH_Tuff
10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
There is nothing more excruciating than watching two bad spread offenses that throw incomplete passes on every down. Clock stops after every play and the game takes forever without much actually getting accomplished. At least if you are a bad running team that suffers though a lot of three and out possessions, the clock runs and the game is over quicker.

LH's slot-t put up 76 last week and the game was over around 9:30. ;)

Bullaholic
10-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, if nobody else is going to defend the spread from you "3-yards and a cloud of dust" die-hards, then I guess I will. I grew up watching the run-oriented offenses and saw a lot of great teams run their way to a lot of championships.

In 92' when the Danny Henson era started, I saw an 0-10 doormat running team go 13-2 with the spread and 3-deep in the playoffs the next season. I have never seen more exciting football than I have seen the Bulls play over the last 17 seasons, and they will have to drag me kicking and screaming to see them go back to a run-oriented offense. Ask some of the Sweetwater folks who have seen us play Monahans in the 05' and 08' playoffs in Sweetwater if the spread offense run by the Bulls is exciting to watch. I'll answer the question before it is asked, "How many state titles does Bridgeport have?" and the answer is --none, yet, but I have every confidence that things will come together enough one season for the Bulls to get their first title. One more thing---not every kid who plays is a 'head-butter' and probably would not be able to do much in a run-oriented offense, but in the spread, such kids have a chance to contribute greatly. In past years, I think Coach Henson has been able to do more with less talent than most coaches.

Third
10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
What absolutely kills me is when I see a spread team that will not go under center in short yardage situations. What's the point of having first and goal at the one or 3rd and 1 if you're going to line up 5 or 7 yards off the ball?

Bullaholic
10-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Third
What absolutely kills me is when I see a spread team that will not go under center in short yardage situations. What's the point of having first and goal at the one or 3rd and 1 if you're going to line up 5 or 7 yards off the ball?

The Bulls use what amounts to a Wildcat 'heavy' set in such situations and it has been highly effective a high % of the time it has been used in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 09:43 AM
State Championship teams since 2006:

2006:
Liberty Eyleu D1
Liberty Hill D2

2007:
Liberty Hill D1
Celina D2

2008:
Prosper D1
Carthage D2

Hmmm...dont all of these teams primarily run the ball??? :thinking:

I dont hate the spread, but most 3a teams dont have the talent that it takes to win championships running it. I love watching teams pound the ball down the field. Coming from Liberty Hill, I was told that 3 things can happen when you pass the ball, and only 1 of those is good.

WOS1
10-13-2009, 09:58 AM
To me football is supposed to be smash mouth line up and hit each other not spread everybody out so one runningback can run up the middle 10 or 15 times a game then your throw the ball the rest. I dont even care to watch college football anymore because everybody runs the spread and its boreing.

There is nothing more boring than a power running team that is being shut down. The whole reason the spread came into existence is because there are very few teams that can line it up and run right at you. In the early 90's there were so many teams trying to run the power game that defenses got to where they were good at shutting them down because they played them every week.

Football runs in cycles, because of what we saw in the early 90's is the reason the Spread is so prevalent today. You don't have to have superior size or superior athletes to be successful with it. You are starting to see a slight shift back to the more "power" type of offenses and I expect this trend to continue for a while.

The wing T has hung around because it is not just about power, it can be, but it is more about misdirection and trickery if run correctly.

westtxfballfan
10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
The wing T has hung around because it is not just about power, it can be, but it is more about misdirection and trickery if run correctly. [/B]

I agree that the Wing-T is also about misdirection along with power football. I like watching good spread teams go at it, but I do take pride in the fact that my alma mater - Monahans - is one of those few teams that can line up and run it down most teams' throat. "You know what's coming. Let's see you stop it." They can do it, however, because they also throw in a lot of misdirection, counters, and can throw it if necesary as well (at least this year.)

Rustler
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
:) :) I enjoy both. If a team executes well it is great to watch whether spread or power run. I view it as a chess match between Offensive Cord and Deffensive Cord. Watching Graham against Snyder last week I think the Snyder Deffensive Cord. did a great job with scheme and holding down the Offense of Graham. A good high school game is a good game.:) :) Snyder vs Graham was well worth the price for my ticket. Hats off to Snyder Coaches! :clap: :clap:

trojan37
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Third

West did that against Glen Rose. 1st and goal from the 1 and line up in the damn spread...........pissed me off. Then on 2nd and goal, they line up with a 3 man backfield and pass the ball again!:confused: I know I'm not a coach, but I absolutely don't understand stuff like this.

Bull_Guy
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dawg4life
idk. Everyone is saying its about hitting someone, but i like to think of football as a game of intelligence. The spread offense offers that into football. I grew up with the wing-T and I have nothing against it, but its an execution offense, not an intelligent one.

But when you spread the ball out, you have more options and the game can be more than hit the guy across the line. I think the run and shoot offense is a great example of this. It puts less importance on ability and more importance on knowing the game of football.

I agree that the spread is better than the wing-t (sooooooo....... boring........ zzzzzzzzz........) But I personally think it puts more emphasis on ability because of the strains it puts on both recievers and quarterback to know whats going on in the defense and be able to run a clean route and then be able to catch a ball with people running full speed at you trying to obliterate you. Also there is a heck of a lot more plays and variations of plays to remember.

Smash mouth football seems to me like its all a pattern and even the youngest of kids are able to run some form of it, maybe not as smooth, but it can be done. Qb-spin around in a cirlce and hand it to one of the 4 guys running by you, or keep it then get 2 inches off the ground and run forward. (I do know its more finesse than that... but as a basic representation...)

The spread allows for many more variables and keeps the defense guessing, and like you said, it takes a knowledge of the game to know what to call on both sides of the ball.

LE Dad
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
The Spread is, without a doubt, the best offense ever invented. I hope to see even more teams running this offense next year. It is totally unstoppable.

:evillol: :evillol:

WildTexan972
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Some teams run the spread to throw some for the run. Which kind have ya'll played more.

3 out of 6 of our opponents have run the Wing T.

wing t is dull dull dull

spread makes an offense have to cover more weapons across a wider field....whining about it is silly....all thru life football will go thru cycles and this is the current cycle - if Georgia Tech wins a national title the all run offense will start to come back some...

it is great coaching to take an undermanned team to the spread and give your kids a chance to compete....and it is folly to complain about that coach doing his job....

dawg4life
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

all thru life football will go thru cycles and this is the current cycle - if Georgia Tech wins a national title the all run offense will start to come back some...

Couldnt say it better. I dont think there is a "best" offense. If there was a "best" offense everyone would run it. The same goes for Defense. But the wildcat is a great example of this. That was a famous Offense a while back and in the 80's and 90's it kinda died out. I know its early but it seems that its making a comeback as well. Im sure that in 20 years there will be a lot more teams with a big option attack like Navy and GT.

RattlerDude
10-13-2009, 01:48 PM

You guys need to see that football is evolving. The spread requires players with skill. The wing t is pretty much the team with the bigger players is going to win. The spread also gets recruiters interested because they are looking for players with skill. Not players who can put their head down and move forward over a smaller opponent.

I actually can't believe this is being discussed. Its kind of pathetic. I wish the wing t would be banned in high school football. It is so boring to watch slow teams run the wing t. I like the big pass play, the open field tackle, the broken tackle in open field, things that actually require skill rather than just pushing forward. They're playing football. Not rugby.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RattlerDude
You guys need to see that football is evolving. The spread requires players with skill. The wing t is pretty much the team with the bigger players is going to win. The spread also gets recruiters interested because they are looking for players with skill. Not players who can put their head down and move forward over a smaller opponent.
I actually can't believe this is being discussed. Its kind of pathetic. I wish the wing t would be banned in high school football. It is so boring to watch slow teams run the wing t. I like the big pass play, the open field tackle, the broken tackle in open field, things that actually require skill rather than just pushing forward. They're playing football. Not rugby.

Is it not boring to watch a team try and run the spread without athletes? We played Ingram last week and I wanted to hang myself while watching them throw pic after pic and watch their quarterback get sacked play after play. Diversity is not a bad thing. I dont understand why some people think that every team should line up in the spread and pass the ball every play. If a team can run the ball and not be stopped while doing it, its alot of fun to watch. While at the same time, if a team has a QB that can sit back in the pocket and pick apart a defense while throwing to some talented recievers, that is also fun to watch. Spread, Wing T, Wishbone, I formation, Slot T, Ace. Its all football, not everyone has to run the same thing.

Old Green
10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Daddy B 12
Is it not boring to watch a team try and run the spread without athletes? We played Ingram last week and I wanted to hang myself while watching them throw pic after pic and watch their quarterback get sacked play after play. Diversity is not a bad thing. I dont understand why some people think that every team should line up in the spread and pass the ball every play. If a team can run the ball and not be stopped while doing it, its alot of fun to watch. While at the same time, if a team has a QB that can sit back in the pocket and pick apart a defense while throwing to some talented recievers, that is also fun to watch. Spread, Wing T, Wishbone, I formation, Slot T, Ace. Its all football, not everyone has to run the same thing. :iagree: I like a team with diversity in their offense.

Trapper
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
To me the spread...no TE, 1 RB, 4 WR's (2x2 or 3x1)
Hard to live and die by ...with average HS players.
Great stuff if you have the right skill people to line up out in space.
Linemen must be able to run.

positives
Can see defense line up
See blitz coming
Big plays
built in no huddle

negitives
Not great inside the red zone
Short yardage situations
When you can't throw or Run

UPanIN
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Can't win with the spread on a wet field.:tisk:

waterboy
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
Can't win with the spread on a wet field.:tisk:
Wanna bet?:D

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Running the ball, if done properly and effectively, is more efficient in my opinion.
1. less chance of turning the ball over.
2. you wear the defense down.
3. you give your defense a chance to rest so they can be more effective when they are on the field.
4. your constantly knocking time off the clock and keeping the other teams offense off the field.

Passing game is great and fun to watch, but if you dont have the personel to pass every play then it is very risky and your chances of winning become very slim because you risk turning the ball over along with leaving alot of time on the clock for the other teams offense.

icu812
10-13-2009, 06:56 PM
The spread offense is not new and modern. The first Texas high school team starting running it in the 1930's & 40's. These things run in a cycle as coaches copy winning programs. An example of this is the single wing which is making a comeback at all levels.

GrTigers6
10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Running the ball, if done properly and effectively, is more efficient in my opinion.
1. less chance of turning the ball over.
2. you wear the defense down.
3. you give your defense a chance to rest so they can be more effective when they are on the field.
4. your constantly knocking time off the clock and keeping the other teams offense off the field.

Passing game is great and fun to watch, but if you dont have the personel to pass every play then it is very risky and your chances of winning become very slim because you risk turning the ball over along with leaving alot of time on the clock for the other teams offense. The spread offense is not just passing. In fact we are pretty even in running and passing both in yards and number of plays.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
The spread offense is not just passing. In fact we are pretty even in running and passing both in yards and number of plays.
Your right, but I just dont think its as effective as lining up under center and running the ball. I see it as more of a "catch the defense off guard" type of run. The option and the zone read however, can be pretty effective out of the spread, but as far as handing the ball off and running it between the tackles, I dont think it works as well. JMO

GrTigers6
10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Your right, but I just dont think its as effective as lining up under center and running the ball. I see it as more of a "catch the defense off guard" type of run. The option and the zone read however, can be pretty effective out of the spread, but as far as handing the ball off and running it between the tackles, I dont think it works as well. JMO It works for us. Most of our runs are between tackles wether its the rb or qb.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
It works for us. Most of our runs are between tackles wether its the rb or qb.
Sure it gets you out of district and maybe a few rounds deep into the playoffs, but does it win you championships? No offense, Im just sayin.

WOS1
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Ask South Lake Carroll, Lake Travis, Stephenville, Highland Park, LaMarque, Ennis, Gilmer or Carthage. ;)

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I like teams that can line it up in the spread and tear you a new one through the air, but at the same time.... they could just as easily line it up in the I and run it right down your throat. Diversity and balance is key.

WOS1
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
That would be awesome in a perfect world. The problem is that teams will run one or the other because it fits their personnell. Very seldom does a team come along that can be very successful at both.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
I like teams that can line it up in the spread and tear you a new one through the air, but at the same time.... they could just as easily line it up in the I and run it right down your throat. Diversity and balance is key.
Im the same way. I love an offense like Cuero's, they run a little bit of everything and are good at it.

I know SLC, LT and all those other big schools run the spread and are successful at it, but were talking about 3a. Most teams in 3a dont have the talent to win championships running the spread, with a few exceptions such as Gilmer. And Carthage bases out of the Ace and they run the ball quite a bit.

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Im the same way. I love an offense like Cuero's, they run a little bit of everything and are good at it.

I know SLC, LT and all those other big schools run the spread and are successful at it, but were talking about 3a. Most teams in 3a dont have the talent to win championships running the spread, with a few exceptions such as Gilmer. And Carthage bases out of the Ace and they run the ball quite a bit.

I think it is a big misconception that you need a ton of talent to run the spread. What you need is smart players and a QB who knows where to go with the ball when throwing. You dont have to have a 5 star QB, 5 star RB, and 6'4 and up WRs by any stretch.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think it is a big misconception that you need a ton of talent to run the spread. What you need is smart players and a QB who knows where to go with the ball when throwing. You dont have to have a 5 star QB, 5 star RB, and 6'4 and up WRs by any stretch.
To win a state championship running the spread it pretty much takes those things. It may not take those things to just be successful and make it a few rounds deep. Look at the teams in the past few years that have won state running the spread and I would be willing to bet that they had some D1 prospects on the offensive side of the ball.

Daddy D 11
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Cuero and Celina's offenses have been the most fun to watch in my opinion.

Both teams are very very balanced and throw alot of different formations at you. Very sophisticated, pro style offenses.

I'm all about balance. Don't solely base outta shotgun.. even if you are gonna run and throw equally. Get that QB under center some, then back him up and let him wing it, then pitch it to the right, then hand it to the fullback, then run a triple reverse pass for a TD:D

Hey, that's what Celina does....

Daddy D 11
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Wylie fits that mold too. Left them out.

I'm a big believer in "molding", so to speak your team to it's strengths. Don't run a program that forces kids to play in certain positions that they just aren't cut out for. If one year you've got some beasts up front and a decent RB... run it more. If a couple years later you've got a stud under center.. incorporate the spread and when he graduates ton the passing down some and become more balanced till you find a strength.

That's what I feel like Sandifer does at Wylie. He works with what he has got and seems to be doing something a little different every year. Little wrinkles here and there, but mostly the same packages.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Cuero and Celina's offenses have been the most fun to watch in my opinion.

Both teams are very very balanced and throw alot of different formations at you. Very sophisticated, pro style offenses.

I'm all about balance. Don't solely base outta shotgun.. even if you are gonna run and throw equally. Get that QB under center some, then back him up and let him wing it, then pitch it to the right, then hand it to the fullback, then run a triple reverse pass for a TD:D

Hey, that's what Celina does.... Agreed 110%!

If you don't have the personell it's one thing.... but Cuero is a perfect example. They let Arndt do his thing passing, but if they want or need to, Trent Jackson will eat you alive on the ground. They run multiple formations and they do it as good as anyone in 3A.

I like to keep defenses guessing. Run and pass from both under center and in shotgun. Get some moving pockets. Run a naked bootleg. Mix in a trick play. Go for it on 4th and inches.

And please God, at least try to make some plays down field. Even if you're unsuccessful..... the fans will appreciate knowing that you at least tried.

What I don't want to see, is when even the most non-football educated fans in the stands can tell you what's about to come as far as play calling goes.

I like FB runs. I like screen passes to RB's, TE's, WR's. I like draws, misdirection, and 3 yds and a cloud of dust. I like shots down field, passes to the flat, and slants over the middle.

I like everything, but I like em a whole hell of a lot more if they're mixed up and you never know what's gonna happen. Navasota last year did this pretty darn well too.

crabman
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joes. That saying still applies today. When Liberty Hill won those state championships, it was not becaus of the Slot T. It was because of one very unusual group of incredible linemen that came through there at the right time along with three very good running backs. The perfect storm. Abilene Wylie did not win it all against us in '04 because Hugh Sandifer is a genius. Case Keenum beat us with his legs. Look what he is doing now. SLC did not dominate football because they ran the spread. Guys like Chase Daniel had a little bit to do with it. It still gets down to the athletes more than the scheme.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by crabman
It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joes. That saying still applies today. When Liberty Hill won those state championships, it was not becaus of the Slot T. It was because of one very unusual group of incredible linemen that came through there at the right time along with three very good running backs. The perfect storm. Abilene Wylie did not win it all against us in '04 because Hugh Sandifer is a genius. Case Keenum beat us with his legs. Look what he is doing now. SLC did not dominate football because they ran the spread. Guys like Chase Daniel had a little bit to do with it. It still gets down to the athletes more than the scheme. And then you have Brookshire Royal. Better athletes than any team in 3A, yet they haven't been to the playoffs in years.

They're constantly getting beat by teams with less talent. SCHEME and discipline does have an effect.

Coaching AND talent wins championships. One or the other can get you a long ways, but you'll never get "it" done without both.

crabman
10-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Stafford has always been that way up until this year. I have never seen a better looking group of kids than Stafford with no football skills. All of a sudden this year they seem to be putting it all together. Maybe preparation is meeting opportunity.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Stafford has always been that way up until this year. I have never seen a better looking group of kids than Stafford with no football skills. All of a sudden this year they seem to be putting it all together. Maybe preparation is meeting opportunity. Nope. Stafford played maybe the weakest pre-district schedule in Reg 4.

They got OWNED by Sweeny (who is in a bit of a "down" year) 48-2.

Same old Stafford. They barely beat 2A's and inner city Houston schools.

Their record is QUITE deceiving.

crabman
10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I just now remembered seeing that 48-2 whooping last week. I stand corrected on their awesomeness. Maybe they could play Goliad next year. OOOOOHHHH. That's just wrong.

beastyboyz
10-14-2009, 12:20 AM
I grew up watching the regular "I" formation, teams ran the ball down other teams throat with leads and pitches.

To me the spread only works if u have the right ppl to run it, basically a good line, a decent QB, and a running back, and a few good recievers that can make plays...

piratebg
10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. I like the spread. In my opinion, there really is no boring offensive scheme so long as it fits the personnel that you have. If you run a wing-t or triple option, you better run it to perfection. I expect to see bodies thrown around as the offensive line dishes out a symphony of destruction that opens up gaping holes for the backs, who are both fast and physical. If you have the talent to run the spread, then I expect shock and awe from all out aerial assault that has the opposing secondary running around like headless chickens. Run whatever you want. The option, the spread, run n shoot, the veer, power I, slot t.........there are so many to choose from. Just make sure that whatever you pick fits your team. There is nothing worse than trying to watch a team run an offense that they can't pull off. In my mind, those are the boring teams to watch, as they keep going backwards or keep coughing the ball up.

StangEm
10-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by beastyboyz
To me the spread only works if u have the right ppl to run it, basically a good line, a decent QB, and a running back, and a few good recievers that can make plays...

:iagree:

I've been a couple places that tried to force the issue with the Spread Offense and it you don't have the horses to run it, you better get a new wagon. It takes more than just saying you run the Spread to be successful.

poisoned10
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Just because you run the spread, it doesn't mean that you are going to throw the ball 75% of the time or even 50% of the time.

In 2004, the division 2 state championship featured 2 "spread" teams. They were ran completely different. Gilmer, that year, threw it more than usual because of who they had at QB and WR. But Jasper ran it 90% of the time with a triple-option look.

In 2007, Gilmer started lining up with 2 RB's, a TE and 2 WR's and we ran it down teams throats. Against Liberty-Eylau that year, we didn't throw the ball very often. I want to say that Justin Johnson set a Gilmer record for rushing yards in a season that year.

waterboy
10-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Just because you run the spread, it doesn't mean that you are going to throw the ball 75% of the time or even 50% of the time.

In 2004, the division 2 state championship featured 2 "spread" teams. They were ran completely different. Gilmer, that year, threw it more than usual because of who they had at QB and WR. But Jasper ran it 90% of the time with a triple-option look.

In 2007, Gilmer started lining up with 2 RB's, a TE and 2 WR's and we ran it down teams throats. Against Liberty-Eylau that year, we didn't throw the ball very often. I want to say that Justin Johnson set a Gilmer record for rushing yards in a season that year.
I agree with poisoned10. The thing is about the spread, or at least the version Gilmer runs, is that it can be run-oriented, pass-oriented, or balanced between the two. It depends on the type of personnel in a given year. That balance is one of the things that makes it tough to defend. This year, for example, there is almost a perfect balance between the pass and run. Percentage-wise, the Buckeyes are passing 50.1% of the time, and rushing 49.9% of the time. If a defense takes away the run, that will open up the passing game, and vise-versa. The thing that makes a championship caliber team is the DEFENSE. If you have a prolific offense and a solid defense, chances are you will go deep come playoff time.

Johnny 5
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
I like the spread . . .

It is way more than three plays. You have draws, inside runs, outside runs, counters, pitches, passes, options, screens . . . and all of those plays can involve any of the RB's, WR's, or TE's. It is great for some trickery, and it opens up the offense greatly, even if all your players are not beasts.

And it is possible to get smashmouth football out of the spread, if you have a beasts of a RB (or two). I see no difference between an I formation run up the middle to a two back spread run up the middle.

I also like seeing it in the redzone and near the goal line. Yes, the QB lines up 5 yards back, but this is a good thing. It gives him a better view of what the defense is throwing at him. If you have a good line, it works even better, as it gives the QB more time to pass the ball, or gives the ball carrier more time to build up speed before hitting the line of scrimmage . . . plus you have all of your skill players as an option to take the ball in. You are forced to cover everyone, not just stack the box.

waterboy
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the spread in the red zone, too. That extra 5 yards gives the QB a better chance to do a zone read, and it also helps if you have a tall wide-out for a fade. They also gain momentum toward the goal line, especially inside the five.

snake_attack
10-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Navasota's offense last year was a thing to watch. So many weapons and firepower.

Move The Chains
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I like the spread in the red zone, too. That extra 5 yards gives the QB a better chance to do a zone read, and it also helps if you have a tall wide-out for a fade. They also gain momentum toward the goal line, especially inside the five. LOL. What if you have a QB who just chunks the ball? No reads..... just throws.

Poor offensive line, poor WR's, a decent RB, and a fast QB that can't really throw. Then what do you do? LOL.

I guess it really doesn't matter what offense you run if you don't have the players.

waterboy
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
LOL. What if you have a QB who just chunks the ball? No reads..... just throws.

Poor offensive line, poor WR's, a decent RB, and a fast QB that can't really throw. Then what do you do? LOL.

I guess it really doesn't matter what offense you run if you don't have the players.
Then you would get under center and hope for the best.:doh:

That last statement is true..... You definitely have to have the players to make ANY offense effective.

Move The Chains
10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Then you would get under center and hope for the best.:doh:

And that's what we've gotten a heavy dose of.

We have some good players, but a sub par o line, and our best WR lost due to an ACL REALLY hurts our passing game and secondary. (He played FS too.) QB is a good athlete but the boy just really doesn't have the arm I guess.

And we have a soph RB with a pedigree. (His older brother was probably the best RB in our school's history) but he is yet to prove himself. We just got our top LB back from a knee injury and he played well last week, but the rest of the D is YOUNG. Several sophs.

So, they've been getting kinda beat up. Our D line is weak inside.

So basically, this is what we look like:

QB (JR)- Can run well, pass not so much

RB (SOPH)- Talented, but unproven

WRs - Weak point in offense. Not much size or speed

TE - Weak point. We really don't have a pass catching threat at TE

O line - 1 great player, 1 good player, and 3 that are average at best, IMO

D line - We have 2 SOPH DE's, but they seem promising. DT is def a weak spot for us.

LB's is our strongest position on the team. 2 returning starters and another who had significant PT. They're playing well.

Secondary. 4 new starters (1 is a senior). We had the one returning FS but he tore his ACL about 3 weeks ago. Nothing but young ones out there trying to make plays. We've been getting a lot of blown coverage because of it.

So basically, we are going to be graduating 2 key LB's, 2 O lineman, S, and that WR/DB that we're desperately hurting for.

So basically that's the talent we have. We let our QB run out of the spread formation, but RB runs and passes are ineffective.

We line it up under center run up the middle, and we run bootlegs. That's pretty much our offense.

Not sure what else they could do with the talent we've got, because that isn't working that wonderfully.

Maybe we'll be a lot better next year when these young guys have that year of experience and the off season to work and get better. Lots of guys coming back next year.