PDA

View Full Version : Largest attendance at a Celina home game?

coachkiss
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I can remember a few games that were packed with fans...

Celina vs. Farmersville in 1990
Celina vs. Prosper in 2007
Celina vs. Frisco Wakeland in 2007

However, I think the biggest would have to be Celina vs. Gainesville in 2003.

Am I wrong on that? Also, is this week's game going to top that one?

d0tc0m
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
The Gainesville game was probably BY FAR the largest attendance at Celina's field. That game was in '02 however. In '03 we had to go to their place and play that lightning in a bottle Purvey kid, they put a hurting on us that night. If I remember correctly, that '02 Pottsboro game (Homecoming) was a large crowd as well, and another really good game. We came back from a 20-8 halftime deficit.

coachkiss
10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
That's right. I have my years messed up.

Do you think this week will top it?

Keith7
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
The reason why the Gainesville game was so big was because a lot of people thought it would be the end of your 64 game win streak so people not affiliated with Gainesville or Celina showed up for it in addition to the large celina and Gainesville crowds.. I still think the refs screwed us on that game

orange machine
10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
This crowd will be bigger more people live in Prosper and Celina now plus this is one of the biggest games in 3a this year. I look for there to be about 5 to 6 thousand people.

Antec
10-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Bay City and Cuero game was considered a sell out 30 minutes before game started -But Memorial Stadium only holds around 6,500.

They wouldn't even let advance ticket holders in the gate. Cuero side was packed

Sometimes you need to get their an hour before game. I was there at 6 and barely found a place to park

The visitors sit on press box side of stadium

They'll have much more when Bay City and El Campo play on Sept. 30- Bands will be on the track

d0tc0m
10-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
That's right. I have my years messed up.

Do you think this week will top it?

No I don't think this week will top it. It's going to be a very large crowd, but not that size. I'd love for it to be as big or bigger than that game, but theres not as much riding on it really. That gainesville game was so big because people from all over came just because people said Celina's streak was coming to an end. Obviously they were wrong. Despite what Keith says, we won that game fair and square. You shouldn't come into an opponents house and spit on their centerfield logo :hand: tsk tsk, it serves to fire up your opposition more than it does unite your own team. Lessons learned for the gainesville leopards.

Keith7
10-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
No I don't think this week will top it. It's going to be a very large crowd, but not that size. I'd love for it to be as big or bigger than that game, but theres not as much riding on it really. That gainesville game was so big because people from all over came just because people said Celina's streak was coming to an end. Obviously they were wrong. Despite what Keith says, we won that game fair and square. You shouldn't come into an opponents house and spit on their centerfield logo :hand: tsk tsk, it serves to fire up your opposition more than it does unite your own team. Lessons learned for the gainesville leopards.

We spit on everybody's field (except our own).. Don't think Celina was special

d0tc0m
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Classy :clap: Although I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from a town like Gainesville.

OldNavy
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
... I still think the refs screwed us on that game

Really, is THAT what you think? We never heard that before!

Had anyone else ever heard that? I am so surprised. ;)

gatordaze
10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
I can remember a few games that were packed with fans...

Celina vs. Farmersville in 1990
Celina vs. Prosper in 2007
Celina vs. Frisco Wakeland in 2007

However, I think the biggest would have to be Celina vs. Gainesville in 2003.

Am I wrong on that? Also, is this week's game going to top that one?

We played Prosper in Prosper in 2007 and 2008.

PPSTATEBOUND
10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
#5 PP @ #3 Celina 1995.

ctown
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
The reason why the Gainesville game was so big was because a lot of people thought it would be the end of your 64 game win streak so people not affiliated with Gainesville or Celina showed up for it in addition to the large celina and Gainesville crowds.. I still think the refs screwed us on that game

That's great commentary. I vote 1st team all state village idiot for that comment and the spitting on the field comment. It takes a special poster to represent like that...maybe you were one of the guys at the concession stand trying to start fights with the junior high kids.

d0tc0m
10-12-2009, 09:08 PM
....Or throwing pizza and coke on some of the celina girls as they walked by the stands in the endzone.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Gainsville is a dirty town with alot of problems.

orange machine
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I still think this crowd will be the largest ever at Bobcat stadium. I know alot of media will be at the game.

Antec
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Most pressboxes have not much room for media

I'm lucky to get a seat at most boxes and squeeze in.

They barely had room at Tidehaven press box last Friday

At Van Vleck they have a old 50 year old desk I sit at

Bay City i have chair at Memorial Stadium but still limited space with radio stations, announceer scoreboard keeper and coaches

Tiger Stadium in Wharton is cramped as well

Some press boxes will llet people who have nothing to do with the game just stand up

Twirling Time
10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
That '02 Gainesville game was crazy. The Gainesville side was packed at 3:30 in the afternoon.

The 56-yard field goal, the fumble on the goal line as Gainesville looked like it was going to put it away, the 95-yard Celina drive the other way that followed. Coach Ford was right: Character played a huge role in the outcome of this game.

WildTexan972
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
We spit on everybody's field (except our own).. Don't think Celina was special

well you spit and lost bucko now dint ya.....so we don't feel special by gettin our field spit on but we did feel special by whippin your butts that night.....WHIPPIN em.....no refs needed - you boys just got schooled by a better program that night was all.....

and after this year your team will be 1-3 against Celina at the 3A level.....how's that for some spittin?

WildTexan972
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
#5 PP @ #3 Celina 1995.

no, that crowd was nowhere near the size of the G'ville whippin in '02.....not even close.....but every PP game back in those days was fun to attend.....with so many folks having family spread over both communities it was a hoot to hear how much they all got into it back then....

d0tc0m
10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, man I sure do miss that ole Rivalry. Those were fun fun days!

Twirling Time
10-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Another big crowd I remember was PP at Celina in 2000. Poured down rain the whole game but the place was SRO — I'm guessing 5,000.

Both teams were ranked in the state at the time. Final score was 13-8 Celina (I think it was #32 in the streak), but PP ran back a Celina conversion for 2 points.

sic'em
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
the two biggest i think are '02 gainesville and '95 PP. the '95 PP game was 5 deep in the South endzone behind the goalposts in front of the creek. it was thicker than that all the way around from one side of the stands to the other side. the north end zone area was completely packed to where you couldn't figure out how to get in line for food. i don't remember it being that full in the south endzone for gainesville but i could be wrong.

turbostud
10-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by orange machine

LOL, my dad calls Gainesville the armpit of Texas. That and Little Elm. But from what I hear Little Elm has changed since the late 80's.

WildTexan972
10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by sic'em
the two biggest i think are '02 gainesville and '95 PP. the '95 PP game was 5 deep in the South endzone behind the goalposts in front of the creek. it was thicker than that all the way around from one side of the stands to the other side. the north end zone area was completely packed to where you couldn't figure out how to get in line for food. i don't remember it being that full in the south endzone for gainesville but i could be wrong.

1 thing you have to remember....back in '95 Celina had stands that were not very large, so few could sit and MOST folks stood....even the medium crowds had 2-3 deep standing around the fence....

in '02 they had much larger stands that were packed and extra seats at the north endzone and a large standing crowd....I am right about most things as we all know, and I think the '02 game was the largest of all time, but I do admit I quit doing the official count about 7pm since all the people kept moving around and I could not remember if I had counted em all or not, so I have no science to back up my claim.....

we did, however, sell 134 more cokes in '02 than in '95, so that proves it right there...

d0tc0m
10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Without a doubt the '02 gainesville game was bigger. It was a bigger game with more riding on it than most regular season games. There wasn't room to walk to the concession stand at that game. There were even people standing on main street watching it.

Keith7
10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
LOL, my dad calls Gainesville the armpit of Texas. That and Little Elm. But from what I hear Little Elm has changed since the late 80's.

Celina is such a crap hole, you can't even walk through the town with out smelling the raw stink of that place.. It's a town that is so stuck on it's varsity blues persona that it can't even see how dirty and slimy of a place it really is.. You can't go a block in that hillbilly infested stinkhole with out running into someone with meth breath or a barbed wire tattoo on their arm.. Celina is without a doubt the worst place in Texas, it might as well be in Oklahoma it's so bad

WildTexan972
10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Celina is such a crap hole, you can't even walk through the town with out smelling the raw stink of that place.. It's a town that is so stuck on it's varsity blues persona that it can't even see how dirty and slimy of a place it really is.. You can't go a block in that hillbilly infested stinkhole with out running into someone with meth breath or a barbed wire tattoo on their arm.. Celina is without a doubt the worst place in Texas, it might as well be in Oklahoma it's so bad

gotta luv his sense of humor....a guy from trailerville Gainesville - home of the invention of the meth lab - calling Celina a "crap hole"....man gettin your butts kicked that year really got to you dint it....

take a picture of your filled stands on a Friday night and ya know what you have? proof that hillbillies do live in north texas....that is if your population has made it UP to hillbilly status by now....

all done....but man he is fun to toy with....

and just for the record.....NO Gtown won't make the playoffs this year........ AGAIN!!

d0tc0m
10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Alright alright, we've all taken our stabs now. So let's leave the quality of the towns out of it and get back to what's at hand. It's Celina-Prosper!

BILLYFRED0000
10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Well for the record the G'ville Game did have a play that I still will never for get and that was Ross Roby and the missed tackle going down and getting back up to tackle that back after running about 90 yards to catch him. What a play. Never will forget that one.

Aunt_Ester
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by orange machine

They used to have a big billboard that said "Got Meth" on it with a before and after pic of a girl on it. It was on 82 just on the east side of town. Any one see it? Is it still there?

There's your problem.

orange machine
10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
I went to Police Acad. with a guy that worked in Gainsville and he said it is a very bad place. Lots of gangs and fights.

Keith7
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
You guys just love to look down your noses like Celina is some sort of oasis.. get real.. celina has as bad of a drug problem, if not worst than gainesville's.. They only difference is the fact that it runs deeper than meth in celina.. you have heroin as well so keep running your trap but you guys are just as bad as gainesville but too stuck in your "friday night light" dream world to realize it.. celina is a dump that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, thats just the cold hard reality of the matter but you celina people are too blind to realize it..

TheDOCTORdre
10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
this thread might get closed, so I'm gonna post on it

LE Dad
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
this thread might get closed, so I'm gonna post on it LOL:D

orange machine
10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
You guys just love to look down your noses like Celina is some sort of oasis.. get real.. celina has as bad of a drug problem, if not worst than gainesville's.. They only difference is the fact that it runs deeper than meth in celina.. you have heroin as well so keep running your trap but you guys are just as bad as gainesville but too stuck in your "friday night light" dream world to realize it.. celina is a dump that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, thats just the cold hard reality of the matter but you celina people are too blind to realize it..

You are freakin crazy as a police officer i can assure you that the durg problems in Gainsville are way worse than in Celina. You are just reaching to find ways to hate on Celina because you cant stand that they have a winning program that wins way more than Gainsville. You are also bitter about being beat in 02 to a team that was supposed to lose to yall. Get over your self and the dream world you live in.

bigwood33
10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Aunt_Ester
They used to have a big billboard that said "Got Meth" on it with a before and after pic of a girl on it. It was on 82 just on the east side of town. Any one see it? Is it still there?

There's your problem.

I remember that billboard. It showed some chick, looked decent at one time, and her mug shots about 2 or 3 years apart. Man, meth messed her up....bad!
I know that Kieth is from Gainesville and you can't blame a guy for sticking up for his home town but there is no doubt that G'ville has problems. They didn't go to uniforms in high school because things were great there.

Keith7
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I remember that billboard. It showed some chick, looked decent at one time, and her mug shots about 2 or 3 years apart. Man, meth messed her up....bad!
I know that Kieth is from Gainesville and you can't blame a guy for sticking up for his home town but there is no doubt that G'ville has problems. They didn't go to uniforms in high school because things were great there.

Gainesville isn't the only school to wear uniforms you know?

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93721

I guess all those schools discussed have problems?

orange machine
10-14-2009, 06:40 PM

They might not all have problems, but Gainsville does and Gainville has a bad rap because of all the problems. You are saying that Celina has a bigger drug problem and is a nasty town. Im telling you that Gainsville has a worse drug problem and because it is bigger than Celina there is alot more nasty places in it than in Celina.

bigwood33
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Kieth, I really don't want to get into this with you. You have a strong allegiance to Gainesville and are a proud Leopard, I get that. Living in denial about the problems in Gainesville only helps perpetuate them. People like you, who care deeply for Gainesville need to be more realistic about the issues and take aggressive action to clean help it up.

orange machine
10-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Kieth, I really don't want to get into this with you. You have a strong allegiance to Gainesville and are a proud Leopard, I get that. Living in denial about the problems in Gainesville only helps perpetuate them. People like you, who care deeply for Gainesville need to be more realistic about the issues and take aggressive action to clean help it up.

WELL PUT :clap:

Pick6
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I've got kinfolk that work for GISD and kinfolk that attend or have attended WISD. I worked in Celina. As far as drug use, Whitesboro is tops, easily. If Celina isn't worse than Gainesville, it's right with it. Only thing worse than all 3 are the Barney cops in Tom Bean.

CelinaCatFan
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
As someone that grew up in Gainesville, it makes me sad to see how it has changed. I have a lot of good friends that still live there. While they remain loyal to the community, they really do not have a lot of positive things to say.

I only wish the best to the community. I have many great memories from living there.