PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo responds to challenge in Dallas Cowboys' win

IrishTex
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/101209dnspocowinsider1.3b1e251.html)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The crowd that had gathered atop the tunnel that leads to the Arrowhead Stadium locker rooms started to murmur when they saw him.

Wearing a blue suit and carrying two bags toward the team bus, Tony Romo had emerged to growing cheers and flashing cameras. He smiled as he looked up and gave some quick waves.

"You've got to love the challenges, whether it's the opponents or the outside influences," Romo said. "If you don't crave them, don't want them, then you can only be so good."

Earlier inside Arrowhead Stadium, Romo's 60-yard touchdown throw to Miles Austin delivered the Cowboys a 26-20 overtime victory against Kansas City that may ultimately be looked at as a season-saver.

With Roy Williams and Felix Jones home rehabilitating bruised ribs and a sprained knee ligament, Romo completed 20 of 34 passes for 351 yards and two touchdowns.

"The biggest thing for me, other than winning the ballgame," owner and general manager Jerry Jones said, "is the play of No. 9 and the way he came back from a down week, a lot of criticism last week, and kept his team in the ballgame."

For all that Romo has not done since becoming the Cowboys' quarterback in 2006, he continues to want the chance to deliver.

With 8:33 left in overtime, the Cowboys were 60 yards away from the Chiefs' end zone after a third false start penalty on Flozell Adams and looking like they were going nowhere again.

But on second-and-15, Romo threw a 10-yard hook route to Miles Austin, who shrugged off Maurice Leggettand pulled away from the rest of the Kansas City Defense for the game-winning touchdown.

Before Austin crossed the goal line, Romo was in an all-out sprint to catch him.

"Felt like I was a little kid again," Romo said. "You're just so excited."

The smile that so many say has vanished from Romo's face was back.

The first month of the season was a struggle for Romo. He had four touchdown passes and four interceptions. His quarterback rating was just 79.4. And he had to deal with some questioning whether he knew it was fourth down last week at Denver on the Cowboys' final offensive play.

He also had to hear people question whether the team was taking away his instincts.

Whatever was said, he doesn't care.

"If you don't want to be judged," Romo said, "don't be in the arena."

In the huddle and on the sideline, Romo's demeanor was noticeable.

"He was really cool and calm back there," right tackle Marc Colombo said. "He handled the pressure really well. He had us in the right positions every time. He was really sharp with everything."

Even when it wasn't going good – like when Austin dropped two potential scores, or when Patrick Crayton dropped an easy throw – Romo kept calm.

In the third quarter, when things seemed bleakest, Romo was standing on the sideline, imploring the defense to get a stop.

The Cowboys scored on three of five possessions in the second half, and Romo's touchdown pass drought ended at 122 throws (and two games) when Austin ran 59 yards for a go-ahead score with 2:16 to play.

More important, he and Austin made the play when it mattered most.

"I talked to my dad [Ramiro] during the week and he talked about, 'Well, you know what leaders do?' " Romo said. "I gave a little answer and he said, 'Leaders do whatever it takes. Whatever needs to be done, that's what a leader does.' "

IrishTex
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM
By the way, Wade Phillips will have a press conference here this hour..

www.theticket.com

Let's hear how all giddy he is for barely beating a team that has lost 28 games out of the last 30 games.

:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Romo sucks.

Bullaholic
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I'll give Romo credit for throwing to Austin on the routes, but it was 90% Austin and 10% Romo on both 10-yard passes that went the distance. I like it, and I'm glad that the Cowboys brought the win home---this will help a lot, but they've still got a lot of work to do to be able to beat some of the better teams in the league.

Go Cowboys!!

IrishTex
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Listening to Wade...just amazing his insight..

TexMike
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Don't hardly seem fair that a QB can throw a 10-20 yard pass but get credit for all the YAC the receiver adds on.

Move The Chains
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
Don't hardly seem fair that a QB can throw a 10-20 yard pass but get credit for all the YAC the receiver adds on. Kinda like a screen pass. RB does all the work, and should be break it for a TD... the QB gets credit for it too. :thinking:

TexMike
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Yep, that is even worse as the pass is not even completed beyond the line of scrimmage but QB gets all the yardage.

Farmersfan
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I was a little concerned by the way the players celebrated after the run by Austin and the win. Rather than being pissed about how they played they simply celebrated a victory like it was against the Giants rather than the lowly Chiefs. Pathetic!

injuredinmelee
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I have heard people all day long saying a win is a win but oh hell no! Kansas City is brutal. Thank goodness for the Rams and Raiders otherwise they would truly be the laughing stock of the league. A team that gets man handled by good playoff caliber teams. Dallas once again played just good enough to beat a patsy.

Have the Raider players already given up on their season? Talk about a franchise in shambles. Its like a precursor to whats coming for Dallas.

coach
10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Kinda like a screen pass. RB does all the work, and should be break it for a TD... the QB gets credit for it too. :thinking:

yea but the qb gets all the blame for the loss in the long run...besides you say romo was 10% part of the TD...we hell there was 3 dropped TD passes in the end zone...just give the man some credit and stop trying to find a way to bash him

coach
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
yall are crazy. A win in the NFL is huge no matter who you play...Remember last year when philly tied the bengals?...hell look where that got them. A win is a win is a win in the NFL. We are 3-2 and have the same record as the steelers and pats

95mustang
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Who did the pats lose to yesterday? Was it the Bronchos? I guess the Bronchos are for real this year. So let's look at the big picture. Dallas has lost to the Giants (we can blame the defense as much as anything in this game) and the Bronchos (once again we can blame the defense just as much as the offense). Both of these teams seem to be tops in the league right now and the Cowboys were in it till the end of both of those games. So blaming Romo is not the answer. There are 21 other players out there to take some of the blame off of Romo. Do I think he could be playing better? Yes I do, but he is still the best option the cowboys have. I just don't think all the Romo bashing is necesarry.

IrishTex
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I just think we Cowboys fans are frustrated and so we are the first to be pointing fingers.

I go back to my original thought and that is, Jerry Jones has a potential disaster here in the way he has this thing organized.

1) Get a coach who can coach in here.

2) Leave that coach alone and quit micro managing him.

3) Get away from the team....Go work on other stadium venues...but don't circumvent the new coach's authority.

This team has no deciplene (sp) and it shows with all of the penalties.

Bottom line is Jerry needs to get out of the way and let some football people run this thing...

Bullaholic
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by coach
yea but the qb gets all the blame for the loss in the long run...besides you say romo was 10% part of the TD...we hell there was 3 dropped TD passes in the end zone...just give the man some credit and stop trying to find a way to bash him

Whoa! coach---collar that dog. :D I think even the most ardent Tony Romo fan would agree that it was the YAC of Austin on the two 10-yard curls that produced the 2 game winning TD's. Romo made good throws to be sure, and I take nothing away from him on those plays. I don't look for ways to bash Romo just as I don't look for ways to artificially pump him up. You're right about the missed catches and I'll add that all of the players still don't know where to line up on the offense a lot of the time.

coach
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Whoa! coach---collar that dog. :D I think even the most ardent Tony Romo fan would agree that it was the YAC of Austin on the two 10-yard curls that produced the 2 game winning TD's. Romo made good throws to be sure, and I take nothing away from him on those plays. I don't look for ways to bash Romo just as I don't look for ways to artificially pump him up. You're right about the missed catches and I'll add that all of the players still don't know where to line up on the offense a lot of the time.

i understand that the yac was a huge part of the td...but yall say that like it was a bad thnig toward romo..

95mustang
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
i understand that the yac was a huge part of the td...but yall say that like it was a bad thing toward romo..

Austin got his credit. What was his stats for the game? They YAC were included in his stats. He got the game ball. He had a break out game. I hope he continues to compete at the level he did yesterday. Us die hard Cowboy fans have been waiting for the day when Austin broke out of his shell. I for one hope he stays out of the shell.

I just don't understand all the Romo bashers. The issues are with the coaching of this team right now. I believe there are other coaches in this league that could lead this team (with the same players they have now) to the Superbowl Championship.

Bullaholic
10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
i understand that the yac was a huge part of the td...but yall say that like it was a bad thnig toward romo..

Well, all I can say is that maybe in my post you READ it that way. Bashing Romo was not my intention, but rather to point out the game saving efforts of Austin.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I'll give Romo credit for throwing to Austin on the routes, but it was 90% Austin and 10% Romo on both 10-yard passes that went the distance. I like it, and I'm glad that the Cowboys brought the win home---this will help a lot, but they've still got a lot of work to do to be able to beat some of the better teams in the league.

Go Cowboys!! Romo and the Cowboys havent played good and more like average and it took a late drive the by unbeaten Giants to beat the Cowboys and took a goal line stand by the unbeaten Broncos to keep the game from going to overtime. Cowboys at 3-2 is good but could've been better and look for them to have a team if healthy to compete for a playoff spot.

GrTigers6
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Whoa! coach---collar that dog. :D I think even the most ardent Tony Romo fan would agree that it was the YAC of Austin on the two 10-yard curls that produced the 2 game winning TD's. Romo made good throws to be sure, and I take nothing away from him on those plays. I don't look for ways to bash Romo just as I don't look for ways to artificially pump him up. You're right about the missed catches and I'll add that all of the players still don't know where to line up on the offense a lot of the time. But with two of those missed catches the overtime win wouldn't have been needed, They would have probably won 27-13.

coach
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, all I can say is that maybe in my post you READ it that way. Bashing Romo was not my intention, but rather to point out the game saving efforts of Austin.

really i quoted the wrong person...i understood what you were saying thats my fault

Diocletian
10-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Romo is acting like he's Brett Farve or something..

I think my grandpa could have thrown that 8-year bomb.

Austin had a hell of a game, but still dropped some balls.

I think it's time they consider making a trade for Romo while he still has value. It's obvious the defense needs to be rebuilt from corner-up.

Old Tiger
10-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Romo better thank Tebow for Miles Austin.

GrTigers6
10-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

I think it's time they consider making a trade for Romo while he still has value. It's obvious the defense needs to be rebuilt from corner-up. Who are you gonna trade him for. and or put in his place?

MJMbrahmas10
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
why trade him? whos better? tom brady? peyton manning? big ben?eli? ya im pretty sure you will get no better then him quit hating on him yall are all ungreatful, do yall not remember how hard it was watchin vinny t, drew henson, ryan leaf, drew bledsoe???????

piratebg
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Don't forget my man Quincy. :p

Diocletian
10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Trade up the in draft and get a decent rookie QB

Just look at NYJ and Atlanta right now.

Make the trade now while he has value...if they wait till the end of an 8-8 year his value will drop big time.

Besides there are some great looking Rookies coming into the league next year.

GrTigers6
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Trade up the in draft and get a decent rookie QB

Just look at NYJ and Atlanta right now.

Make the trade now while he has value...if they wait till the end of an 8-8 year his value will drop big time.

Besides there are some great looking Rookies coming into the league next year. Didnt Sanchez have five turnovers last week or did I dream that?

TheDOCTORdre
10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Don't forget my man Quincy. :p

In my opinion, if Quincy had stayed in the league, he was gonna be "high" on my list of NFL QBS :smoker:

Emerson1
10-12-2009, 11:53 PM

I think it's time they consider making a trade for Romo while he still has value. It's obvious the defense needs to be rebuilt from corner-up.
Quit trying to be like Keith7

GrTigers6
10-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Don't forget my man Quincy. :p I hope your not talking about Quincy Carter. That man was an idiot. I was embarrassed everytime they interviewed him.

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
why trade him? whos better? tom brady? peyton manning? big ben?eli? ya im pretty sure you will get no better then him quit hating on him yall are all ungreatful, do yall not remember how hard it was watchin vinny t, drew henson, ryan leaf, drew bledsoe???????

WTH????? It's just as hard watching Romo! And other than the one season of 13-3, Romos record is no better than those bums you mentioned. And who's better? Try someone. Anyone. At least they should be trying to find someone instead of just annointing Romo the second coming of Troy Aikman. Everyone talks about the defense. The O-line. The receivers. It all comes down to offensive production and Romo is a hinderance to that offensive production. At first he was throwing terrible interceptions and stupid fumbles and now I guess someone has actually convinced him that he can't be doing that so he is afraid to even throw the ball downfield. Newflash people: There are high school QB's who can throw the ball as well as Romo is throwing it now. Did anyone watch Monday Night Football last night? Two young QB's that made amazing throws all night long. Touch passes! Laser Beam passes! Accross the middle! And Deep passes for TD's. All were on the money and very catchable. Romo makes his guys reach behind them, jump in the air or simply throws it out of reach. And don't even get me started on the stupid audibles he calls and his game management skills. I feel sick already.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10

Idk if you have watched the Cowboys this season or since Romo has taken over, but hes garbage. Sure he has a spectacular game every now and then, but look at how many times he has done absolutely horrible. Sometimes hel come out and wont hit the broad side of a barn and then hel come back out the second half and be lights out. Thats called not being consistent and you need to be able to count on your quarterback to be consistent. Romo has had his chance, its time to get someone else.

themsu97
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
look, the Cowboys and Texans are just that.. average teams... face it... we are all homers and think that our teams are better than what they are...

Both the Texans and Cowboys have lost two games on a goal line stand... both with questionable playcalling and also with some questionable play by linemen, wr's and qb's...

bottom line is though that great teams make those plays to win and our teams have not... plain and simple

TheDOCTORdre
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
The potential in Romo is there for him to be, if not an elite, a Top 10 quarterback, perhaps Top5, right now Romo falls into the 12-15 range IMO. However its gonna take a strong disciplinarian, of a coach, and a quarterback coach/OC that is going to work his @$$ off. You see flashes off greatness in Romo followed by junk that makes me want to vomit. I really think if you give him some structure, discipline and be smart and run the ball first, then Romo can perhaps develop into a top tier quarterback.

And I am a die hard Cowboys fan, if anyone really thinks Romo is higher than the 12-15 range right now heres my list of qbs over him.

1. Peyton Manning- will own every passing record before its all said and done, barring injury. He is the Colts, and you can tell by how he commands them on the field from the LOS
2. Tom Brady- never been a big Brady fan but he is a winner, proven history of coming through in the clutch, if not for his injury last year Brady would still be amazing us like he had been, the year off rehab hurt alot
3. Drew Brees- the man can throw the ball with deadly accuracy, he will have the Saints contending in the NFC as long as his health holds up
4. Ben Roethlisberger- IMO this is Tony Romo with a disciplined system, an play calling that works in his favor, Ben is clutch and a proven winner
5. Philip Rivers- The kid is nowhere close to reaching his potential IMO, had not Sand Diego been so dependant on LT early in Rivers career, Philip Rivers would be so much more than what he already is, give Rivers a go to reciever and watch him light it up more than he already is
6. Jay Cutler- move past the fact that he cried his way out of Denver, he was a great quarteback last year and he is showing that once again in Chicago, the game 1 against the Packs was a hiccup, we wont see many other games like that from Cutler, many people think I'm nuts for having Cutler this high, but I'm not
7. Eli Manning- must hate that his brother is Peyton because the shadow is so huge cas by him, nonetheless Eli has come into his own proving he can win big games in the clutch
8. Brett Farve- what? yeah Farve is playing great with the Vikes, I thought Farve was done coming into the year but he has proven me wrong, an ageless wonder if he can stay healthy this year
9. Donovan Mcnabb- so I probably lost all credability on me being a Cowbos fan when I put not only NFC rival Eli over Romo but McNabb as well. McNabb is injury prone but that hasnt kept him from producing, can we only imagine what his stats would look like if he could stay healthy?
10. Carson Palmer- another one who IMO injury has held down but I think Palmer is back and on his way to bringing the Bengals up. If Benson can continue to run like he has watch out for Palmer to light up the defenses.
11-15 is a turntable with me thus far that includes, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers(actually in my book Rodgers is my 11), Tony Romo, and Kyle Orton
* Chad Pennington would be on my list if he wasnt done for the season

TheDOCTORdre
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
oh yeah I've changed my mind too on my 2 & 3, I think Brees is over Brady for now

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
One of the funny things about ranking QBs and such..Eli Manning, his WORST year stat wise and play wise was the year they won the SB.

In fact all the talk about Romo and how he plays in December and what not..He has a better QB rating than Eli does in December.

the difference? Eli's TEAM the year they won the SB played great in the play-offs

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Guess which team leads the league in total offensive yards?

Your Dallas Cowboys. (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Dallas has a great offense...so the question comes about...why doesn't Dallas score?

The answer? Penalties..and give-aways.

Dallas has too many penalties...(lask of discipline) which is the coach's responsibility.

I'm so tired of hearing Wade say "we are working on that."

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex

Your Dallas Cowboys. (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Dallas has a great offense...so the question comes about...why doesn't Dallas score?

Dallas has too many penalties...(lask of discipline) which is the coach's responsibility.

another area killin them...Punt return..When your not getting shorter fields your hurting your offense. wehn you can drive the ball 30 yards and not be close to field goal range it shows you need better return teams( kick-off return team is not AS bad)

Alof of hidden yardage each game is killing Dallas

Emerson1
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
another area killin them...Punt return..When your not getting shorter fields your hurting your offense. wehn you can drive the ball 30 yards and not be close to field goal range it shows you need better return teams( kick-off return team is not AS bad)

Alof of hidden yardage each game is killing Dallas
I really don't get why Crayton is the punt returner. He doesn't have break away speed and isn't agile.

pirate4state
10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
look, the Cowboys and Texans are just that.. average teams... face it... we are all homers and think that our teams are better than what they are...

Both the Texans and Cowboys have lost two games on a goal line stand... both with questionable playcalling and also with some questionable play by linemen, wr's and qb's...

bottom line is though that great teams make those plays to win and our teams have not... plain and simple

Amen!

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex

And guess what else!!!!

The Cowboys have played the #32 ranked, #28 ranked and #15 ranked defenses in the first 5 games. They lost to the two better ranked defenses. The Offensive production number is bogus. and the turnovers isn't that big an issue. Dallas is -4 through 5 games. The problem with this team is the decision making from the top to the bottom. The Cowboys had the ball on the goal line agaisnt the Giants and Garrett calls a fade pattern to the corner to R. Williams which falls incomplete. The Cowboys have been running the ball down the Giants throat all day so Garrett calls a run up the gut and Romo audibles out to another fade to Marty B. Exact same play. Now fast forward to the Denver game when Dallas has the winning score in hand on the goal line and Garrett calls a passing play that pits the #4 receiver of Dallas against the #1 defender of Denver and has the #1 Dallas threat in blocking and of course the play is incomplete. Garrett calls a running play and Romo audibles out of it and goes right back to the stupid play that should have gotten Garrett fired in the first place. Not only are the Coaches retarded with this team but so is Romo. Time after time after time I see him throw a 2 yard pass when they need 15 for a first. Watching Romo manage the clock and the team is like watching a monkey screw a watermelon. It's sickening but you can't take your eyes off it.........................

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 03:09 PM
One of the funny things about ranking QBs and such..Eli Manning, his WORST year stat wise and play wise was the year they won the SB.

In fact all the talk about Romo and how he plays in December and what not..He has a better QB rating than Eli does in December.

the difference? Eli's TEAM the year they won the SB played great in the play-offs

And Eli played a hell of a lot better in the playoffs. He took it up a notch when the playoffs started. The biggest difference in Eli and Romo is this:

Cowboys vs Giants. 09'

Romo rating 29
Manning Rating 110

End of story.

Daddy B 12
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
And guess what else!!!!

The Cowboys have played the #32 ranked, #28 ranked and #15 ranked defenses in the first 5 games. They lost to the two better ranked defenses. The Offensive production number is bogus. and the turnovers isn't that big an issue. Dallas is -4 through 5 games. The problem with this team is the decision making from the top to the bottom. The Cowboys had the ball on the goal line agaisnt the Giants and Garrett calls a fade pattern to the corner to R. Williams which falls incomplete. The Cowboys have been running the ball down the Giants throat all day so Garrett calls a run up the gut and Romo audibles out to another fade to Marty B. Exact same play. Now fast forward to the Denver game when Dallas has the winning score in hand on the goal line and Garrett calls a passing play that pits the #4 receiver of Dallas against the #1 defender of Denver and has the #1 Dallas threat in blocking and of course the play is incomplete. Garrett calls a running play and Romo audibles out of it and goes right back to the stupid play that should have gotten Garrett fired in the first place. Not only are the Coaches retarded with this team but so is Romo. Time after time after time I see him throw a 2 yard pass when they need 15 for a first. Watching Romo manage the clock and the team is like watching a monkey screw a watermelon. It's sickening but you can't take your eyes off it.........................
I completely agree with everything you just said.

crzyjournalist03
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
And guess what else!!!!

The Offensive production number is bogus. and the turnovers isn't that big an issue. Dallas is -4 through 5 games.

I could have sworn that turnovers were the reason that everybody was jumping Romo's butt. Now that he has a game without any, turnovers aren't really that big of an issue anyway...

Typical haters.

Emerson1
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
The Cowboys had the ball on the goal line agaisnt the Giants and Garrett calls a fade pattern to the corner to R. Williams which falls incomplete. The Cowboys have been running the ball down the Giants throat all day so Garrett calls a run up the gut and Romo audibles out to another fade to Marty B. Exact same play. Now fast forward to the Denver game when Dallas has the winning score in hand on the goal line and Garrett calls a passing play that pits the #4 receiver of Dallas against the #1 defender of Denver and has the #1 Dallas threat in blocking and of course the play is incomplete. Garrett calls a running play and Romo audibles out of it and goes right back to the stupid play that should have gotten Garrett fired in the first place. Not only are the Coaches retarded with this team but so is Romo. Time after time after time I see him throw a 2 yard pass when they need 15 for a first.
You have no idea what was called and if there was an audible or not. The first time it was a great call, Roy Williams just dropped it.

Have you ever heard of defense? If the guy 15 yards downfield is covered you just dump it off and take your losses instead of risking an interception.

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I could have sworn that turnovers were the reason that everybody was jumping Romo's butt. Now that he has a game without any, turnovers aren't really that big of an issue anyway...

Typical haters.

Romos bad play was the reason everyone was jumping Romo's butt. Turnovers, fumbles, bad decisions, stupid post game remarks and bad publicity over off-field issues are all part of the package. I misspoke when I said turnovers weren't that big of an issue. Turnovers are always a issue. I meant that even with the turnovers the team had opportunities to acheive success and failed to because of poor decision making.

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You have no idea what was called and if there was an audible or not. The first time it was a great call, Roy Williams just dropped it.

Have you ever heard of defense? If the guy 15 yards downfield is covered you just dump it off and take your losses instead of risking an interception.

Well, take away the fact that the video shows Romo calling the audible on both accounts, it is still a fact because Wade Philips said it is. He told reporters on both instances that the second time was a audible.

And throwing a 2 yard pass when you need 15 is playing into the defenses hand. READ THIS CAREFULLY SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND! That's what the defense wants you to do!!! You do that and you lose. Although that does fall right into Wade's coaching style of "Taking what the defense gives us" rather than taking what they need.

Farmersfan
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Great call????

The fade to the corner of the endzone is a 20% completion play at BEST!!!
Running up the middle for 2 yards is successful at least 70% of the time.

Now tell me it was a great call!

GrTigers6
10-13-2009, 06:32 PM
WTH????? It's just as hard watching Romo! And other than the one season of 13-3, Romos record is no better than those bums you mentioned. And who's better? Try someone. Anyone. At least they should be trying to find someone instead of just annointing Romo the second coming of Troy Aikman. Everyone talks about the defense. The O-line. The receivers. It all comes down to offensive production and Romo is a hinderance to that offensive production. At first he was throwing terrible interceptions and stupid fumbles and now I guess someone has actually convinced him that he can't be doing that so he is afraid to even throw the ball downfield. Newflash people: There are high school QB's who can throw the ball as well as Romo is throwing it now. Did anyone watch Monday Night Football last night? Two young QB's that made amazing throws all night long. Touch passes! Laser Beam passes! Accross the middle! And Deep passes for TD's. All were on the money and very catchable. Romo makes his guys reach behind them, jump in the air or simply throws it out of reach. And don't even get me started on the stupid audibles he calls and his game management skills. I feel sick already. So what your saying is that neither of those quarterbacks last night threw an incompletion?:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
And Eli played a hell of a lot better in the playoffs. He took it up a notch when the playoffs started. The biggest difference in Eli and Romo is this:

Cowboys vs Giants. 09'

Romo rating 29
Manning Rating 110

End of story.

Really..end of story? ONE game in the regular season and that is end of story?

ok how about Last year Giants vs Dallas 2nd game

Manning 18/35 191 0 TDs 2 Ints
Romo 20/30 244 2 TD 0 int

Or how about this year's Giants game was the first time Romo had lost to Manning in regular season.

Or the fact Romo has a 15.7 better passing rating..That is not a couple of more TD's or completitions better. That is a HUGE difference.

and oh BTW..Manning still has had ONE great postseason..not many years of winning play-off games.

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2009, 09:32 PM
And guess what else!!!!

The Cowboys have played the #32 ranked, #28 ranked and #15 ranked defenses in the first 5 games.

They also scored 31 points off of one of the top ranked D's as well.

Farmersfan
10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Really..end of story? ONE game in the regular season and that is end of story?

ok how about Last year Giants vs Dallas 2nd game

Manning 18/35 191 0 TDs 2 Ints
Romo 20/30 244 2 TD 0 int

Or how about this year's Giants game was the first time Romo had lost to Manning in regular season.

Or the fact Romo has a 15.7 better passing rating..That is not a couple of more TD's or completitions better. That is a HUGE difference.

and oh BTW..Manning still has had ONE great postseason..not many years of winning play-off games.

The Point was that up until Eli went to the superbowl and picked up his play a notch or two nobody would have considered him better than Romo. What would they consider now? Eli has improved over time. Romo has gotten worst.
And I don't have a problem with Romo as long as the Cowboys are working to try and get better at that spot. Romo is better than what they have had recently. But that's not saying much. But to give Romo the Franchise like they have is a horrible decision. And after Romo retires with a full career legacy of what we have seen the last 21 games everyone else (including you) will say the same thing. I hope he comes around and gets back to the Romo that lead them to a 13-3 record. I just don't see it happening.

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
The Point was that up until Eli went to the superbowl and picked up his play a notch or two nobody would have considered him better than Romo. What would they consider now? Eli has improved over time. Romo has gotten worst.
And I don't have a problem with Romo as long as the Cowboys are working to try and get better at that spot. Romo is better than what they have had recently. But that's not saying much. But to give Romo the Franchise like they have is a horrible decision. And after Romo retires with a full career legacy of what we have seen the last 21 games everyone else (including you) will say the same thing. I hope he comes around and gets back to the Romo that lead them to a 13-3 record. I just don't see it happening.

IMO this is what has happened...the 2007 play-offs the giants simply asked eli NOT to make mistakes. The runing game and the defense carried them. Off of that play-off run, it allowed Manning to gain confidence and in turn made him a better QB( though last year in the play-off game he returned to his former turnover machine self). Now he has a few young solid WRs

since that same 07 play-off season, Romo in turn has NOT played with confidence for the most part. Add in the fact IMO Garrett's offense last year as far as the passing game was very feast or famine( meaning majority of the routes were 15 yards and more).

Romo is trying to rebuild that confidence..Manning already has it.

NOW in saying all that..Manning and the Giants are in their cupcake portion of their schedule. They have faced ONE team that could play with them, and in that game Dallas were in control but as we all know romo threw it away.

BILLYFRED0000
10-14-2009, 10:38 AM

The simple fact is you are falling into the romo hater trap. It is the QB's fault all the time. Once you do that you lose the arguement. Execution requires the staff, and team. Not the QB.
Example. The pass he threw in the Giants game that was returned for a touchdown was a bad luck play. The guy that caught the pass had actually slipped on his cut and came up and cut off his coverage. Roy was open but if the guy had stayed on Roy after he slipped the throw would have been on the money to Crayton. It was a timing play and a slip by the defender left him in the play. The bounce off of Witten was fluke two. His play is been a little off. But well within reason to win. The defense folded in the last drive of the series in three games to give up winning or tying scores. I guess Tony just did not tackle well enough or did not get enough penetration at the line or maybe just called the wrong audible for the defense. If the defense makes their stops, Dallas is 5 and 0.
The other flaw in your arguement is that if you do not have the best qb or one of the best qb's in the league you cannot win. Obviously it is the QB's fault. The defense can't stop a baby, the receivers can't catch a cold, the running backs can't run consistently, but the qb has some of the best games he has played and it is his fault..........RRRIIIIGGHGHT