PDA

View Full Version : Mustangs smash Bucks for 1st win - Sweetwater / Breckenridge recap

Phantom Stang
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Mustangs smash Bucks for 1st win
Written by Ron Howell
Monday, 12 October 2009

Not long after finally getting his first win Friday as Sweetwater’s head football coach Friday with a 41-14 victory over Breckenridge, Craig Slaughter received the obvious question.
After an 0-5 start, how does it feel to win?
Slaughter’s response indicated that a lot of the weight of the world had been lifted. “I think that there’s a 50,000-pound gorilla walking around those steps right now,” he said, laughing.
“You don’t really think about the pressure to win that first one after you are hired. But it’s a dang good feeling, no doubt.”
The good feelings at Mustang Bowl were evident right from the opening kickoff, which Ken Norman returned 44 yards to give Sweetwater a huge adrenaline boost and set up the first touchdown.
By the time the game was over, Sweetwater had more points and touchdowns (6) than it had managed in the five games and 20 quarters that preceded it. The Mus-tangs also racked up a sea-son-high 410 yards against Breckenridge (1-5).
After setting up at the Buckaroos’ 33, B.J. Wal-ker carried four consecutive times and scored from 17 yards out to give the Mus-tangs a 6-0 lead with less than two minutes gone. Breckenridge, though, came right back to score a tying touchdown on a 1-yard run by quarterback Colby Simmons that capped an eight-play drive. Angel Garcia’s extra point put the Buckaroos ahead 7-6 with 6:28 left in the quarter.
But the lead lasted less than a minute of game time.Sweetwater answered right back, thanks to a 62-yard run by Walker that set up a 6-yard TD run by Norman. Norman then made it 14-7 when he threw a two-point pass to Larry Daniel after a faked extra point kick.
Sweetwater missed golden opportunities to score on its next two possessions after getting within field goal range both times. But the Mustangs finally got on the board again before halftime with a 13-play, 63-yard drive that took nearly seven minutes. Sweetwater was able to convert twice on fourth down, including on the touchdown which came when Walker took a pitch and scored from the 1. Cole Rhoades’ extra point kick made it 21-7 at halftime.
“We answered their score and got control of the game,” Slaughter said. “Our defense after that was huge. But the intensity of our team all week has been great.”
Sweetwater then put the game away with two more scores while the defense twice stopped Breckenridge on drives that began inside Mustang territory. The real backbreaker came when quarterback T.J. Jones hit Jason Vause on a 78-yard pass play to make it a 27-7 game midway through the third quarter.
A.J. McCoy recovered a fumble at Breckenridge’s 36 to set up a short drive that led to Norman’s second TD on a 2-yard run.
Norman wound up making the 2-point conversion as well after picking the ball up on a muffed kick and getting to the pylon to open a 35-7 advantage.
David Howard scored for Breckenridge on a 5-yard run to cut the lead to 35-14 with 6:37 remaining in the contest, but Sweetwater — and McCoy — weren’t finished. McCoy intercepted a pass and returned it 41 yards for the final touchdown with 1:29 left.
“We needed this,” said Norman, who was also in on 13 tackles and had one of three Mustang sacks. “Our whole week of practice was good and we were confident we would do well tonight.”
Vause, who caught six passes for 111 yards, echoed that sentiment. “A lot of people had a good feeling about this one,” he said. “It has just been clicking well in practice and we’ve gotten to a higher level.”

Sweetwater Reporter (http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/170577/122/)

Phantom Stang
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
BoxScore
Written by Staff Reports
Monday, 12 October 2009

BoxScore Sweetwater 41, Breckenridge 14
Score by Quarters
Breckenridge 7 0 0 7 — 14
Sweetwater 14 7 6 14 — 41
Scoring Summary
SW — B.J. Walker 17 run (kick failed)
BR — Colby Simmons 1 run (Angel Garcia kick)
SW — Ken Norman 6 run (Larry Daniel pass from Norman)
SW — Walker 1 run (Cole Rhoades kick)
SW — Jason Vause 78 pass from T.J. Jones (kick failed)
SW —Norman 2 run (Norman run)
BR — David Howard 5 run (Garcia kick)
SW — A.J. McCoy 41 interception return (kick failed)
Team Statistics
BR SW
Rushes-Yards 12 17 Rushes-Yards 40-166 40-234
Passing Yards 15 176
Total Yards 181 410
Passes 2-11-2 9-16-0
Punts 5-35 3-40
Fumbles-Lost 3-2 2-1
Penalties 8-56 11-98
Individual Statistics
Rushing — Sweetwater: B.J. Walker 20-140, Ken Norman 5-36, A.J. McCoy 5-57, T.J. Jones 6-(-14), Eugene Zapata 4-15. Breckenridge: David Howard 28-143, Blayne Street 3-9, Colby Simmons 5-(-5), Scotty Roberson 2-6, Stetson Marin 2-13.
Passing — Sweetwater: T.J. Jones 9-16-0—176. Breckenridge: Colby Simmons 2-11-2—15.
Receiving — Sweetwater: Jason Vause 6-111, A.J. McCoy 2-24, Jake Lawrence 1-41. Breckenridge: Issac Moreno 1-10, Caleb Moore 1-5.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/170576/122/

Bullaholic
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Wonder who's 2-3A playoff chances that the Mustangs are going to ruin? Wouldn't it be something if the 'Stangs come back to make the playoffs? Afterall ,this game was the first game of the season that counts.

ASUFrisbeeStud
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Wonder who's 2-3A playoff chances that the Mustangs are going to ruin? Wouldn't it be something if the 'Stangs come back to make the playoffs? Afterall ,this game was the first game of the season that counts.

Didn't Vernon do that a few years ago, started out like 1-4 or 1-5 ran the table after that and made the playoffs and went 3 or 4 rounds deep?

IrishTex
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Isn't the underdog role fun?

:D

Bullaholic
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Didn't Vernon do that a few years ago, started out like 1-4 or 1-5 ran the table after that and made the playoffs and went 3 or 4 rounds deep?

Can't remember about Vernon---but the Bulls did it in 2001--went into the playoffs 5-5 and went all the way to the semis.

ASUFrisbeeStud
10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Can't remember about Vernon---but the Bulls did it in 2001--went into the playoffs 5-5 and went all the way to the semis.

That maybe what I'm thinking of but I'm pretty sure someone else did after that, because I know I was in college when it happened.

R1Editor
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
That maybe what I'm thinking of but I'm pretty sure someone else did after that, because I know I was in college when it happened.

In 2006 Vernon finished 5-5 in the regular season. They beat
Perryton, Sweetwater, Snyder, and Midland Greenwood before
losing to Celina in the Semi's.

TheDOCTORdre
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I think it would be funny if Sweetwater could go 3-7 and make the playoffs:D

Phantom Stang
10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I think it would be funny if Sweetwater could go 3-7 and make the playoffs:D
I'm too lazy to do the math, but f Breckenridge were to pull a couple of upsets, the Mustangs could probably make the playoffs with a 2-8 record due to a head to head tie breaker.

Then all of the "purists" could put THAT in their pipes and smoke it!:D

ccmom
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

I like it! :clap: :clap:

TheDOCTORdre
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I'm too lazy to do the math, but f Breckenridge were to pull a couple of upsets, the Mustangs could probably make the playoffs with a 2-8 record due to a head to head tie breaker.

Well i was just saying 3-7, so we could have a thread that says "Hey Brownwood, our 3-7 got us to the playoffs, where did it get you" :D

lol i'm just messin with ya brownwood folks