PDA

View Full Version : The World's Greatest Chess Masters

Phil C
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
As promised I will give my opinion on who the greatest chess players ever were. Several factors come into such as how did he do against the great ones of his generation, how he did in tournaments, how many games he won or lost or were drawn. But the main one is natural talent for me. Bobby Fischer based his greatest chess player list by the feel that he got by playing their games. This would be a talent that only the great players would have. Bobby Fischer admitted that even though the great American Paul Morphy of the late 1850s were be beat if he were to play the great players of today. But he said if Morphy and other great masters were given time to study the latest chess theory (especially the opening developments) that they could win against masters of today. He also added that they would learn that theory quickly because of their natural talent.
Remember everyone has different choices and different criteria for picking great masters and different opinions and all are probably valid.
I will now list my choices starting with no. 1.

1. Bobby Fischer - I know there was controversy in his life but I am speaking of his chess playing ability. See below for his great accomplishments. Chess theory and knowledge reached a peak in the 30s and 40s except for opening theory and analysis which changes constantly and he had access to the best books. Plus he lived in New York where he had access to the best chess teachers and clubs and could develope his skills which he did so. Later masters now have access to computers and internets but I don't think it would hurt Bobby too much in his development except for maybe reaching his prime maybe a year earlier but I am not sure about that.
He did a lot for chess but his premature retirement was a disappointment because he could have done more. Contribution to chess is also a factor but because of his starting the demand for more money the greatest chess players now are playing for million dollar purses instead of just barely enough to live prizes that great chess players in the past had to endure.
What turned the tide in me listing him as No. 1 is that current World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anad met Fischer a few years before Fischer passed away and praised Fischer's chess ability and called him the greatest chess player ever. Hence my coice as No. 1.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28779&highlight=bobby+fischer+worlds+greatest+chess+play er

turbostud
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Phil, What about Gary Kasparov. I mean he has to be mentioned. He did beat a computer in a head to head match.

PhiI C
10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Phil, What about Gary Kasparov. I mean he has to be mentioned. He did beat a computer in a head to head match.

Patience turbostud.

2. Jose Raul Capablanca. In my opinion and Mr. Fischer's too Capa was the best chessplayer in the world from 1912 to 1936. He had natural talent. He didn't always concentrate on chess study though. He went to college at Columbia and played baseball and distinguished himself in math. WW1 and to a certain extent WW2 had some havoc on his career and matches. For ten years he only lost one game and from 1916 to 1924 did not suffer defeat until 1924. He lost a world championship match in 1927 to Alexandre Alekhine in a big upset and Capa obviously was overconfident and unprepared. Alehkine did not accept a rematch preferring to play against less worthy title contenders and avoided all tournaments that Capa entered. His fear was probably justified because a prepared Capa would in high probability have beat him.
Boris Spasky a former world champion considered him the best chess player of all time. He probably studied more than most say but he didn't study as much as most masters due to his natural talent.
It would be a close match but I believe Fischer would beat him.

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 07:45 AM
A Bobby Fischer interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAQN_iwNoA

And then this, which totally surprised me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px2PoGr0AkE

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I like chess. Noone on 3adl can beat me. :cool:

TheDOCTORdre
10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll take that challenge

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I'll take that challenge Haven't played in months... but I feel I can stil whip ya. Anytime, anywhere partna. LOL.

Like it's a fight or something.

TheDOCTORdre
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Haven't played in months... but I feel I can stil whip ya. Anytime, anywhere partna. LOL.

By the monkey bars after school

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
By the monkey bars after school You can get on yahoo games and we can play.... that is.... unless you're scared.

IrishTex
10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
By the monkey bars after school

:D :D :D

:clap:

turbostud
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Haven't played in months... but I feel I can stil whip ya. Anytime, anywhere partna. LOL.

Nothing like a good Chess Club rumble.

turbostud
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm about to start teaching my 6 year old daughter how to play. Just bought her a checkers set to start with. Once she figures that out I am going to start with chess. She's sees my chess set and she keeps asking me to teach her.

carter08
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I like chess. Noone on 3adl can beat me. :cool:

i remember you losing some.

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by carter08
i remember you losing some. I'm WAY better since then.

PhiI C
10-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I'm about to start teaching my 6 year old daughter how to play. Just bought her a checkers set to start with. Once she figures that out I am going to start with chess. She's sees my chess set and she keeps asking me to teach her.

The younger the better turbo.

PhiI C
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
3. Garry Kasparov - He was a great player with natural ability. Many have him No. 1 and they have valid points. His record speaks for itself. I believe in a match with Fischer with both at their prime Fischer would win a tough close one. Others disagree though. We will never know for sure. But we do know that he was a great chess player and great person. He learned English and spent much time in the USA promoting chess. He did this worldwide. He was from the USSR but always strove for justice and fair play. If it was a popular vote he would be No. 1 for me but I can't go by that. Still regardless he was great and outstanding for chess worldwide.

PhiI C
10-15-2009, 07:30 PM
5. Paul Morphy - He was born into a wealthy and distinguished family in New Orleans and lived 1837 to 1884. Like the others he showed natural talent for the game while very young. In his early 20s he went over to Europe and beat all the known great living chess players at the time. As I wrote chess theory peaked in the late 1930s and 40s but most of it was available and known by the masters long before then but it just wasn't published. Morphy would have known most of it. If he were alive today he couldn't beat the masters but give him a year to study in his early teens with the modern books and computer help and he would catch up quickly and be outstanding.
When he got back to the USA he gave up chess to practice law but never really got to develope his practice. Also he didn't support the Confederacy or Louisiana leaving the Union which caused resentment of him in New Orleans. Probably he would have had better success had he moved North. The rest of his live was a tragedy and much chess lore was lost. Still he had great natural ability and Bobby Fischer considers him one of the greatest natural talents of the game.

Next No. 5 and it will be a surprise.

PhiI C
10-17-2009, 09:40 AM
No. 5 Wilhelm Steinitz. This one may be a surprise but it was the analysis of Bobby Fischer that made me choose him. He had great talent. It is unfortunate that Steinitz and Morphy never played a match because it would have been a good one. I think Morphy would have won but unfortunately he had given up chess when Steinitz became World Champion. He was the World Champion from 1866 to 1894 and took on all challengers and won nearly all tournments he played in.
He passed away in 1900 and unfortunately he was in near poverty and his widow had to make her living running a small shop. Near the end of his life he lived in New York and they had tournments so he could win some living money. If he had been born 100 years later he would have been a millionaire.