PDA

View Full Version : Texas is now #3

giddings4life88
10-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, looks like Alabama just jumped Texas in the AP poll. I hope Texas can get back to 2 after we beat OU!

PappaBear
10-11-2009, 01:58 PM
No worries, they just need to win out. Alabama will have to play Florida for the SEC championship if they both win out.

Keith7
10-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Alabama is 10X better than Texas.. They would beat texass by 21

Spread It Out
10-11-2009, 02:03 PM
In a sense Texas is still #2 because Florida and Alabama can't both go to the National Championship one of them is going to beat the other and Texas will be able to go to the NC. Texas needs to focus on OU right now though, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

TheDOCTORdre
10-11-2009, 03:13 PM
We must not get carried away with the AP polls, the poll that matter comes out next week, the 1st BCS poll of the season. For all we know the computers could have us lower than 3, but we will have to wait and see

Old Tiger
10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Doesn't the coaches poll tie into the BCS formula?

Well if so Texas is still #2

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

WTF-82
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Texas is in ther drivers seat though they get to play in the Big 12 conference there toughest team will be a 2 loss OU team and Ok state other than that the Big 12 does not have anyone out there so UT is in the drivers seat weak schedule = National title game but then what happened to OU will prob happen again to UT in the title game.
I do think OU has been challenged alot this year because of the teams they play in nonconference BYU and MIAMI good job Stoops for not being afraid to schedule. OU if this game is close against UT could find a way to win they have been in wars still fighting and overcoming injury after injury if they can win this game they will again challenge or win the Big 12 again.

michaelp23
10-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
OU if this game is close against UT could find a way to win they have been in wars still fighting and overcoming injury after injury if they can win this game they will again challenge or win the Big 12 again.

run on sentence? :confused:

WTF-82
10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
run on sentence? :confused:

If this game is close against UT, OU could find a way to win they have been in wars still fighting and overcoming injury after injury. If they can win this game they will again challenge or win the Big 12 again.

How's that

michaelp23
10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
If this game is close against UT, OU could find a way to win they have been in wars still fighting and overcoming injury after injury. If they can win this game they will again challenge or win the Big 12 again.

How's that

Got it!;)

carter08
10-11-2009, 04:32 PM
GO COOGS.

Z-RO
10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Coaches poll is the only one that matters in regards to the BCS. So Texas is still #2

SHSBulldog00
10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
From what I've seen Alabama is playing better ball than Texas. That's tough for me to say as a Texas Fan. The Longhorns can't run the football.

big daddy russ
10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Bama's the best team in the country right now.

eagles_victory
10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Bama has proven the most what looks real good is the win over VT to start the season and they should be ranked ahead of Texas at this point. But, I think people are going a little too crazy over the Ole Miss win Ole Miss has been awful so far this year they looked piss poor pathetic against South Carolina terrible in a win over Memphis and have just not played good football all year so I dont put too much stock in that win. But I would say right now it should be Florida, Alabama, Texas.

daug
10-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah and Texas beat the greatest team ever to play college football (USC) and couldn't throw the ball. Time will tell.

CueroDad08
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Alabama is 10X better than Texas.. They would beat texass by 21

Most Aggs think just like you

IrishTex
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
2009 NCAA Football Rankings - AP Top 25 Week 7 (Oct. 11)

1 Florida (50) 5-0 1490 1
2 Alabama (10) 6-0 1430 3
3 Texas 5-0 1395 2
4 Virginia Tech 5-1 1283 5
5 Boise State 5-0 1199 6
6 USC 4-1 1161 7
7 Ohio State 5-1 1048 9
8 Cincinnati 5-0 1038 8
9 Miami (FL) 4-1 970 11
10 LSU 5-1 947 4
11 Iowa 6-0 919 12
12 TCU 5-0 917 10
13 Oregon 5-1 776 13
14 Penn State 5-1 597 14
15 Nebraska 4-1 576 21
16 Oklahoma State 4-1 559 15
17 Kansas 5-0 551 16
18 Brigham Young 5-1 490 18
19 Georgia Tech 5-1 453 22
20 Oklahoma 3-2 432 19
21 South Florida 5-0 330 23
22 South Carolina 5-1 319 25
23 Houston 4-1 192 NR
24 Utah 4-1 76 NR
25 Notre Dame 4-1 75 NR

Dropped from rankings: Auburn 17, Mississippi 20, Missouri 24
Others receiving votes: Pittsburgh 58, Auburn 55, West Virginia 46, Mississippi 28, Wisconsin 27, Missouri 25, Arkansas 16, Central Michigan 6, Arizona 5, Michigan 5, Oregon State 2, Navy 1, Idaho 1, Stanford 1, Texas Tech 1

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings?poll=1)

GreenMachine
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Most Aggs think just like you Admit it. Texas stunk it up against Colorado. Definitely not playing good ball and not a dominant team right now.

injuredinmelee
10-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Admit it. Texas stunk it up against Colorado. Definitely not playing good ball and not a dominant team right now.

I will be the first to admit it. I bleed orange but this years team is giving me heart burn. They had an entire offseason to develop a running back and didnt do it. I am sick and tired of this rb by committee crap. It isnt working. How can we recruit some of the best athletes in the county at every position BUT running back? DO we need a better rb coach? (huge applewhite fan, son named Major, but if he isnt getting the job done get us someone who can.)
Playcalling is once again an issue this season. Last night on 2nd and 2 million yards we run a shuttle pass. Then on 3rd we have one route that takes the reciver past the first down marker. I hate the bubble screen with a passion and I am so sick and tired of the dink and dunk passing game. We have speed coming out of our ears at the reciever position but wont throw the ball deep hardly ever. Colt is also locking in to Ship way too early in the play.
I honestly dont expect Texas to beat OU. We need to be able to run the ball which we wont be able to do and Stoopsy will have his boys jacked and full of vinegar. ou 31 UT 20.

WTF-82
10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I will be the first to admit it. I bleed orange but this years team is giving me heart burn. They had an entire offseason to develop a running back and didnt do it. I am sick and tired of this rb by committee crap. It isnt working. How can we recruit some of the best athletes in the county at every position BUT running back? DO we need a better rb coach? (huge applewhite fan, son named Major, but if he isnt getting the job done get us someone who can.)
Playcalling is once again an issue this season. Last night on 2nd and 2 million yards we run a shuttle pass. Then on 3rd we have one route that takes the reciver past the first down marker. I hate the bubble screen with a passion and I am so sick and tired of the dink and dunk passing game. We have speed coming out of our ears at the reciever position but wont throw the ball deep hardly ever. Colt is also locking in to Ship way too early in the play.
I honestly dont expect Texas to beat OU. We need to be able to run the ball which we wont be able to do and Stoopsy will have his boys jacked and full of vinegar. ou 31 UT 20.

Wow !! You were being a football fan and were honest that is awesome. I agree though UT has problems special teams have really bailed them out along with good def play that was the difference against TT. But OU has there problems also lost 2 games. BYU took it to them and Miami out played them in second half this will be fun to watch.

Rocket
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
What happened to winning games meaning anything? It is now about how many points you can beat teams by and how dominant you can be. LOL College football is getting more ridiculous every year. I hate that opinion means ANYTHING in deciding the Top 2 teams, but if that is true then winning a game has to mean something as well. The "well this team on that night beat this team by this many" crap is just too much for me.

coach
10-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Bama has proven the most what looks real good is the win over VT to start the season and they should be ranked ahead of Texas at this point. But, I think people are going a little too crazy over the Ole Miss win Ole Miss has been awful so far this year they looked piss poor pathetic against South Carolina terrible in a win over Memphis and have just not played good football all year so I dont put too much stock in that win. But I would say right now it should be Florida, Alabama, Texas.

hey give ole miss some credit....south carolina is the most underrated team in the country

coach
10-12-2009, 12:41 AM

the good thing with heartburn is it is easily curable. And I love Major Applewhite and I always wondered why they hired a former QB to be the RB coach lol. I believe that Whitaker is their best rb and should start him. Also i wouldnt be too worried. Texas should be fine.

bevo
10-12-2009, 01:01 AM

I do think OU has been challenged alot this year because of the teams they play in nonconference BYU and MIAMI good job Stoops for not being afraid to schedule. OU if this game is close against UT could find a way to win they have been in wars still fighting and overcoming injury after injury if they can win this game they will again challenge or win the Big 12 again.

These schools schedule as many as 5 to 10 years in advance. These coaches don’t really know what kind of a team they’ll be up against when they do meet up several years down the road. That’s the gamble most coaches take as far as the strength of schedule when it comes down to the BCS.

For example: BYU’s records…
‘2000…6-6
‘2001…12-2
‘2002…5-7
‘2003…4-8
‘2004…5-6
‘2005…6-6 Non conf…Boston Coll (9-3) & East Illinois (Div 1AA)
‘2006…11-2 Non Conf…Arizona (5-7), Tulsa (8-5) & Boston Coll (10-3)
‘2007…11-2 Non Conf…Arizona (8-5), UCLA (6-7) & Tulsa (OK) (8-5)
‘2008…10-3 Non Conf…North Iowa (Div 1AA), Wash (0-12) & UCLA (4-8)

Miami’s records…
‘2003…11-2
‘2004…9-3 Non Conf…Louisiana Tech (6-6), Houston (3-8) & Louisville (11-1)
‘2005…9-3 Non Conf…Clemson (8-4), Colorado (7-6) & South Fla (6-6)
‘2006…7-6 Non Conf…Fla A&M (Div 1AA), Louisville (12-1) & Houston (8-5)
‘2007…5-7 Non Conf…Marshall (3-9), OU (11-3) & Tex A&M (7-6)
‘2008…7-6 Non Conf…Charleston Southern (Div 1AA), Florida (13-1), Tex A&M (4-8)

BYU’s really come on the last few years, where as Miami was a dominate force in the early ‘2000’s with a National Championship in ‘2001. Most all teams schedule a weaker opponent so they can come into conference play a little more prepared with momentum, as a pre-season warm up if you will…Unfortunately, the BCS takes in consideration of the strength of schedule now…and it’s the luck of the draw if you run the tables and go undefeated the rest of the way. It happened to UT last year (with 1 loss) and it happened with Auburn in ‘2004 after going undefeated, but then again they played Louisiana-Monroe & Citadel.

It's true...Stoops stated just last year that he had been scheduling a tougher pre-conf schedule. But look where it got him this year. But that's the luck of the draw. Pretty much now a days, if you loose two games at the best...you'll only be playing in a BCS game, if he runs the conf undeated. At which he probably won't this year with that young offensive line. But who knows...Stoops has gotten lucky in the past.

Go Get 'em Horns!!!

...and go get 'em Saturday USC!!!

Spread It Out
10-12-2009, 02:52 AM
I am so sick and tired of the dink and dunk passing game.
:iagree:

trusteer/trublu
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
What happened to winning games meaning anything? It is now about how many points you can beat teams by and how dominant you can be. LOL College football is getting more ridiculous every year. I hate that opinion means ANYTHING in deciding the Top 2 teams, but if that is true then winning a game has to mean something as well. The "well this team on that night beat this team by this many" crap is just too much for me. Let the Heavens open up cause i agree with you on this one....a win is a win!!!!:cool: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

Daddy D 11
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I got last minute tickets from a friend to the CU game on Saturday and barely made it for kickoff.. and boy oh boy was I disappointed with Greg Davis once again!

The man cannot call plays.

In '04 and '05 Vince bailed him out by just running everywhere. And last year, Colt was on an above human like level with his accuracy and things just fell into place every time he had the ball in his hands.

Muschamp is the only coach on that staff that has any balls and is the sole reason why UT has been winning their ball games. The Defense is nasty.

And injured, I think every stinkin' Longhorn fan in the entire country HATES the bubble screen and the zone read. Greg davis seems to know nothing else...

The bubble screen has NEVER resulted in a UT touchdown and the zone read ONLY worked when you had Vince Young back there. Abandon both of them Greg Davis!

:mad:

Ex-Tiger2005
10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Bama's the best team in the country right now.

I think if they played Florida today...Bama would win! They are a hot team! All Texas has to do is take care of their business! Let everyone else beat themselves up and we will slip right in the mix at the end! Just WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF!!!!

WTF-82
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by bevo
These schools schedule as many as 5 to 10 years in advance. These coaches don’t really know what kind of a team they’ll be up against when they do meet up several years down the road. That’s the gamble most coaches take as far as the strength of schedule when it comes down to the BCS.

For example: BYU’s records…
‘2000…6-6
‘2001…12-2
‘2002…5-7
‘2003…4-8
‘2004…5-6
‘2005…6-6 Non conf…Boston Coll (9-3) & East Illinois (Div 1AA)
‘2006…11-2 Non Conf…Arizona (5-7), Tulsa (8-5) & Boston Coll (10-3)
‘2007…11-2 Non Conf…Arizona (8-5), UCLA (6-7) & Tulsa (OK) (8-5)
‘2008…10-3 Non Conf…North Iowa (Div 1AA), Wash (0-12) & UCLA (4-8)

Miami’s records…
‘2003…11-2
‘2004…9-3 Non Conf…Louisiana Tech (6-6), Houston (3-8) & Louisville (11-1)
‘2005…9-3 Non Conf…Clemson (8-4), Colorado (7-6) & South Fla (6-6)
‘2006…7-6 Non Conf…Fla A&M (Div 1AA), Louisville (12-1) & Houston (8-5)
‘2007…5-7 Non Conf…Marshall (3-9), OU (11-3) & Tex A&M (7-6)
‘2008…7-6 Non Conf…Charleston Southern (Div 1AA), Florida (13-1), Tex A&M (4-8)

BYU’s really come on the last few years, where as Miami was a dominate force in the early ‘2000’s with a National Championship in ‘2001. Most all teams schedule a weaker opponent so they can come into conference play a little more prepared with momentum, as a pre-season warm up if you will…Unfortunately, the BCS takes in consideration of the strength of schedule now…and it’s the luck of the draw if you run the tables and go undefeated the rest of the way. It happened to UT last year (with 1 loss) and it happened with Auburn in ‘2004 after going undefeated, but then again they played Louisiana-Monroe & Citadel.

It's true...Stoops stated just last year that he had been scheduling a tougher pre-conf schedule. But look where it got him this year. But that's the luck of the draw. Pretty much now a days, if you loose two games at the best...you'll only be playing in a BCS game, if he runs the conf undeated. At which he probably won't this year with that young offensive line. But who knows...Stoops has gotten lucky in the past.

Go Get 'em Horns!!!

...and go get 'em Saturday USC!!!

I see your point but UTEP is no Miami or BYU not saying stoops scheduled the best but did schedule tough like what happened to Arkansas this would be a respectful non conference game for UT.

formercougar18
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
saw today on espn, that if the bcs came out today, 3 of the 4 computers had texas ranked in double digits in the bcs. They were saying virginia tech is even more deserving of a higher ranking than texas. I will admit texas has not played anyone, an oklahoma already has 2 losses. even if texas win's it won't be a big time win. I think that texas however is the only team in the nation who would contend with florida or alabama. I went to the LSU and Florida game this past weekend and Florida completely dominated LSU, and i would put money on lsu against any other team in the Big 12 other than texas. If anyone will knock florida or bama off in the national championship it will be Texas.

Diocletian
10-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Texas being #3 is no surprise.

What is the biggest surprise to me is OU is the only 2 loss team still in the top 25.

It's almost like the NCAA want OU to be rated as high as possible so Texas can beat a top team. They need Texas to win out to keep this BCS nonsense in check...otherwise we might have Florida playing some 1-loss team from the Pac 10 for the championship. ...and then all the other 3-4 main conferences complaining and crying about their 1-loss teams.

TheDOCTORdre
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Texas being #3 is no surprise.

What is the biggest surprise to me is OU is the only 2 loss team still in the top 25.

It's almost like the NCAA want OU to be rated as high as possible so Texas can beat a top team. They need Texas to win out to keep this BCS nonsense in check...otherwise we might have Florida playing some 1-loss team from the Pac 10 for the championship. ...and then all the other 3-4 main conferences complaining and crying about their 1-loss teams.

or worse yet they may have Florida playing Boise State:eek:

Diocletian
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't see what the big complaint about a playoff is anyway.

You play all the games in the main bowl stadiums just like the BCS games..so you don't lose revenue.

Most of the teams that are considered top 10 teams usualy end up with 1 loss anyhow at the end of the year.

It seems like a no brainer to me.