PDA

View Full Version : Heisman

BTownVBall3
10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I think that I have a legitimate case here. . How much longer until shipley replaces mccoy in all the heisman talk? If even a possibility. This guy is having an amazing year. He's like a wes welker in an actual football players body.

Maroon87
10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
It's a valid point. I think if nothing else Shipley should be a top candidate for the Belietnikoff Award.:thinking:

Bullaholic
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BTownVBall3
I think that I have a legitimate case here. . How much longer until shipley replaces mccoy in all the heisman talk? If even a possibility. This guy is having an amazing year. He's like a wes welker in an actual football players body.

A valid point, but it will be tough for other than a QB/RB to win the Heisman---especially when they already have Tebow's name engraved on it this year.

big daddy russ
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I see the Heisman race differently than most of the people who vote on it. I think it's the guy who raises the overall ability of his team the most. That's why it's easier for QB's to win, but more others should be in the mix.

Last year, I thought Michael Crabtree was the best player in the country. And I didn't even think it was close.

This year, McCoy should've dropped out of the talk and I think Shipley should definitely take his place. That kid's been all but invaluable to the 'Horns and has saved McCoy's rear on several occasions.

The reason Tech was a NC contender was because Crabtree turned an eight- or nine-win team that can beat some good teams some nights into an 11-win team that could beat most teams most nights.

The reason UT is so impressive right now has less to do with the QB than the rest of the team.

WHS02
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I see the Heisman race differently than most of the people who vote on it. I think it's the guy who raises the overall ability of his team the most. That's why it's easier for QB's to win, but more others should be in the mix.

Last year, I thought Michael Crabtree was the best player in the country. And I didn't even think it was close.

This year, McCoy should've dropped out of the talk and I think Shipley should definitely take his place. That kid's been all but invaluable to the 'Horns and has saved McCoy's rear on several occasions.

The reason Tech was a NC contender was because Crabtree turned an eight- or nine-win team that can beat some good teams some nights into an 11-win team that could beat most teams most nights.

The reason UT is so impressive right now has less to do with the QB than the rest of the team.

Well said.......... McCoy should most certainly not even be mentioned in it this year. Playing decent ball but, as you said Shipley has saved him time and time again. Now how bout that Case Keenum. Yea he has a loss against UTEP but,.............HE still threw for over 450 yards that game(i think). The heisman is so based on poplularity. Like I heard someone say once on ESPN. If Case Keenum was in burnt orange and had Texas on the front of his Jersey......there would be no question who leads right now

Rustler
10-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

The reason UT is so impressive right now has less to do with the QB than the rest of the team. :clap: :clap: Great Points! Excellent Prospective!:clap: :clap:

slingshot
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by WHS02
...If Case Keenum was in burnt orange and had Texas on the front of his Jersey... They would call off the competition and just go ahead and give it to him...

carter08
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
keenum deserves it, if he stays in school another year i think he will be the front runner next year.

PhiI C
10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Unfortutely it is not always given to the one who really deserves it.

95mustang
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
He's like a wes welker in an actual football players body.

Im not disagreeing about Shipley. I do question the statement above though. Seems to me that Welker is playing football and is pretty successful at it.

PhiI C
10-11-2009, 07:58 PM
What really helped Bradford win it over Colt and Tebow last year was that Oklahoma ran up the score in its' last few games and the sytem gave them the Big 12 championship and he got to show off in that game too. Not saying he didn't deserve anyway but it helped.
Unfortunately, usually the Heisman Trophy winner is from a big time football school even though their are exceptions.
Sometimes they get it wrong such as in 1975 when they gave it to Archie Griffin for the second year in a role when California's Chuck Muncie actually had a better year.
Many people thought Jim Brown of Syracuse should have won in in 1956 over Paul Hornung. They present a strong argument that I won't go into.

blowfish
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I am not a Texas fan but most everyone else in my family is...having said that if Shipley wasnt at Texas they would not be undefeated right now!

PhiI C
10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
I am not a Texas fan but most everyone else in my family is...having said that if Shipley wasnt at Texas they would not be undefeated right now!

We all know his great pass catching and kick returning abilities but another thing is he saved a td against Colorado on the blocked punt. One of the Colorado players picked up that ball and was starting to run to the endzone and Shipley tackled him. If Shipley had missed him he would have got an easy td with blockers around him.