PDA

View Full Version : Cameron head coach steps down.....

theyoefnshow
07-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Yup, it's official. Sapp has moved down a position as AC and head coach and Michael Mullins (the former OC) has stepped in. Not too many details yet but it is a done deal.

LiquidAlloyedSteel
07-16-2003, 07:46 PM
What is going on in Cameron? Did Randy really change positions? I couldn't understand the abbreviations. Please help! Randy is a great friend of mine and this is news to me!

3afan
07-16-2003, 08:11 PM
AC is Athletic Coordinater (aka Athletic Director), I believe, and OC is Offensive Coordinator

theyoefnshow
07-16-2003, 08:46 PM
You are correct. Basically, Hudson left to go to Rogers which baffled me. Maybe this has something to do with it? Anyway, Mike Mullins has been the offensive coordinator, Hudson the defensive coordinator and Sapp head coach and athletic director. Hudson has changed to Rogers, Sapp as an assistant coach (not sure if he is still Athletic director) and Mullins has now officially become the head coach. Who the Offensive/defensive coordinators are now I'm not sure of. It may have been announced but I haven't heard yet.

football
07-17-2003, 12:43 AM
mullins will be head coach and athletic director sapp asst football and baseball coach it will be sad but it will work out GO YOE

Cameronbystander
07-17-2003, 08:05 AM
Coach Hudson left because he and Coach Stillwell at Rogers(who lives in Cameron)are good friends and Robert was tired of the extra pressure of coaching in his hometown. Several months ago Sapp almost left to go to Rogers as their baseball coach but decided not to. The pressure coaching where he grew up plus the expectations of a city that doesn't expect to lose has to be tremendous. Coach Sapp has been an exceptional coach, is a special human being and everybody wishes him the best.
Coach Wilson (HC & AD at Joshua last year) is the new defensive coordinator. I talked to Coach Mullins last week and his son is projected to be the starting quarterback. My guess is that he will remain the Off. Cood. for this year.
One other possibility. The Off Cood at Joshua has VERY close ties to Cameron and he might be interested in the position.

CtownDiva06
07-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Yah although Cameron has a very good team
Caldwell should be very good competition this
year considering we only lost 8 seniors compared to cameron, rockdale's, and marlin's like 15 20 and 21 seniors gone...........Cameron and Caldwell's game this year should be very good...........so every one get ready....the hornets are BACK....and better than ever...............

CHS 06'

BuckeyeGuy
07-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Just wanted to put my two cents' worth in regarding Mike Mullins. As you may know, he was the head coach of the Gilmer Buckeyes before heading to Cameron to become the OC. He is a super individual, and obviously a wonderful OC, as he had succes at A & M Consolidated as OC before he went to Angleton as head coach, prior to coming to Gilmer. BUT, if you are expecting him to perform the same way as the head coach in Cameron don't hold your breath. I think he's one of those guys who looks like a genius as an OC, but doesn't have a clue what it takes to be a successful head coach. He couldn't get Gilmer in the playoffs, much less get us ranked. In just 3 years since his departure, we went 6-4, narrowly missing the playoffs and followed that up with identical 8-2 regular season campaigns, running a 5-0 mark in two different districts the past two seasons. We now are ranked 24th in Texas Football and are predicted to win the Division II State Championship by Collier-Sharp. The BEST thing that has happened in the past 20 years in Gilmer was when Mike Mullins left and we hired a former Buckeye Quarterback, Jeff Traylor as our head coach. All I can say is good luck to Cameron, they are definitely going to need it.

theyoefnshow
07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
and the irony of it all is that Cameron beat Gilmer in the state game all those years ago. Ah well.....guess we'll see in a few weeks. I don't have high expectations like I did last year due to the inexperience but Marlin also had a team full of juniors last year and look what they accomplished. I'm very interested to see how things pan out.

Chris Hart
07-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I have a feeling Cameron will be just fine. I doubt that Coach Sapp would step down and allow someone to take over, that he did not have full confidence in to do the job and do it well.

Wtx_coach
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Is that coach MULLINS the same one that applied in Pecos a few months ago, does anyone know, get back with me o.k

BuckeyeGuy
07-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey yoe,

Just wanted to send a reply back to your comments about the 3A State Championship back in 1981, when Cameron beat Gilmer 26-3.

Truthfully, we shouldn't have even been in that game. The ONLY reason we got there was that Wylie was trailing us by 3 points, 16-13 with seconds left in the game, and could have kicked a field goal, which would have sent them on and Gilmer packing, due to their lead in First Downs under the old rules. But instead, they opted to go for the win, and our defense came up with a big play in that Quarterfinals game, and then we went on to a 28-0 shutout win the next week in the Semis to get the bid against Yoe.

Several coaches in East Texas had remarked during our run in 1981 that since we didn't have a passing game, 8 men in the box would do us in. Strangely enough, no opposing team even tried it until we ran up against Yoe. After our first drive that resulted in a 3-0 lead, your coaching staff put 8 men up and we never did another thing.
As bad a feeling as that was for Gilmer fans, I had to say the best team won that day, mainly because your coaching staff figured out how to dismantle our offense.

I STILL think you'll be disappointed with the results Mike Mullins comes up with this year though. I still maintain he's an offensive genius, but cracks under pressure when he's the head honcho.

Good luck to you this year. Hopefully, we can knock you guys out of the playoffs, and at least get a little bit of belated revenge, albeit 22 years after the fact!

theyoefnshow
07-25-2003, 05:55 PM
win or lose, a state championship rematch would be awesome! :) Any way it could happen? Standings wise?

BuckeyeGuy
07-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes, it could happen. Honestly, we'd love to see it happen in the Championship game. That way we'd get a double revenge; make up for 1981, and show our disppointment in Coach Mullins never being able to live up to the billing he had coming into Gilmer,

theyoefnshow
07-26-2003, 05:48 PM
lol that'd be fun. I can see it now. "AN EVENT 22 YEARS IN THE MAKING!" Doubtful as I think we'll have a decent squad but unless miracles happen......ah what am I saying? GO YOE!!