PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought for everybody to ponder.

navscanmaster
10-10-2009, 06:03 PM
As much as I could have said about some things that could excuse my team being shut out last night, I didn't because I don't believe in excuses when you get beat unless attorneys have to get involved.:)

That said, I have noticed on some other threads this year that when some of the posters are upset about their team losing a game they feel they should have won, they point out a number of things about the game that they feel led to the loss. It may be curious play calling, a wet field, 23 penalties for 245 yards, whatever. 90% of the time, there is no animosity or anger directed at the winner, just at the above mentioned mistakes. What is actually starting to get on my nerves is how some posters, usually the more mouthier ones we grow tired of, expect those fans to have nothing but praise, kiss a$$ to their greatness, and have no excuses. It is like saying anything but "congratulations, you whipped our a$$e$ all night long" is the only response these posters will allow you post without blasting you with crap like "maybe the better team won," or "maybe XXX's defense had something to do with that."

I am not even referring to Caldwell/Navasota because that thread has been very civil. But there are several others floating around that really irk me with this bullcrap. It is in any football fan's competitive nature to raise questions when their team loses, especially when they are favored. The last thing they want to hear, I am sure, is a statement that is more or less summed up to say "wah wah, you are overrated and we own you the rest of the season." To those obnoxious, defensive poster I say get off your high horse. When the tables are turned, you are no different.

Off soabbox now, but do any of you agree with me that the behavior is friggin obnoxious?

Old Green
10-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Well said i agree with you on this:clap: :clap:

LE Dad
10-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Excellent post:clap: :clap: Be proud, not arrogant :thinking:

GrTigers6
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, you got teams that win all the time and when they finally lose they say well it was the refs or the weather, or something else. Sometimes one team plays better than the other. Like our game against llano last year. On paper we should have won, but like Chris Berman always says "Thats why they play the game"

Tx Challenge
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Well said i agree with you on this:clap: :clap:

+1 Great post

WOS87
10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I can think of at least one poster that this applies to

ProudHornetMom
10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Absolutely agree!:clap:

Rustler
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Coundn't have said it better! As a nebie it like if you dont have a million posts your "DUMB":clap: :clap: :clap:

TheDOCTORdre
10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Rustler
:clap: :clap: :clap: Coundn't have said it better! As a nebie it like if you dont have a million posts your "DUMB":clap: :clap: :clap:

do you mean neWbie lol...

blowfish
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Okay changing the slant of this post just a little.... How many of us have ever thought that your team lost because of some thing you as a parent, fan, or whatever did cost your team the game.

For example... When my oldest boy played I had a ritual, always in my seat 45 minutes before game time. I had a Dr. Pepper and a pickle. The pickle had to be finished no sooner that 2 minutes remaining in 2nd quarter.

Half time I lounged with the other Dads/men by the fence near the locker rooms. Dr. Pepper at the start of the 3rd back in my seat after the band was done playing. I did this every game except one. We played Clyde at our house an they were winning 21- 0 in the 3rd quarter. I got to the game after the Anthem, no pickle, no Dr. Pepper. Start of the fourth quarter I was paniced. We ended up winning in overtime 28-27.

Global Swarming
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I couldn't agree more. I've been on this site for years. I became a member a little over a year ago I guess. I don't have that many post on here because I don't feel it's my place to post just to trash talk someone or their team. Like many other people on here, it's hard to have any knowledgable posts on here because someone always has to trash a team or a supporter of that team. There are certain posts that I won't even get on because I know that a few loud mouths are going to take over and ruin the whole post. There are a few obnoxious posters on here that make your team look bad, but I guess every team has those cocky posters.

BwdLion73
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Okay changing the slant of this post just a little.... How many of us have ever thought that your team lost because of some thing you as a parent, fan, or whatever did cost your team the game.

For example... When my oldest boy played I had a ritual, always in my seat 45 minutes before game time. I had a Dr. Pepper and a pickle. The pickle had to be finished no sooner that 2 minutes remaining in 2nd quarter.

Half time I lounged with the other Dads/men by the fence near the locker rooms. Dr. Pepper at the start of the 3rd back in my seat after the band was done playing. I did this every game except one. We played Clyde at our house an they were winning 21- 0 in the 3rd quarter. I got to the game after the Anthem, no pickle, no Dr. Pepper. Start of the fourth quarter I was paniced. We ended up winning in overtime 28-27.

:thinking: :thumbsup: :)

coachkiss
10-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Also, I don't see this one as much as I see it on other "regional" sites, but you will hear this exchange....

Fan Y: We are going to come over there and beat Team X like a rented mule. Team X doesn't have a prayer. We will beat Team X.

Fan X: Hold on there a minute, we have a good team, a good fan base, a long and storied tradition. We won't roll over for anyone. I think you might be surprised, and Team X will win this game.

Fan Y: Oh well, then. We may as well not even show up then, you arrogant piece of crap. I guess you think you are better than everyone else on here!

That one gives me an ache in my head.

Bullaholic
10-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I hope the serious posters will still continue to post on game threads and not hold back because a few cannot contain or control themselves when talking about their teams. The trick is to start and perpetuate exchanges with only other serious posters interested in answering each other's posts and ignoring those that they consider frivilous, personally insulting, or pirating. This is the only hope for in-depth and serious game discussion threads to last more than just a couple of posts. Perserverence and judicious, selective replies are the only remedies for your complaints. I will again admit that I have been guilty of some humor in the middle of serious game discussions, but I try to relent quickly when i see that it harming a good football discussion thread.

shamu85
10-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Rustler

I find it hilarious when someone on here thinks just because you have 12,000 posts, you must know football. It's a dang internet forum for pete's sake.

pirate4state
10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I understand what you're saying and I have no problem with posters trying to figure out why/what caused their team to lose, but when they do so and do not acknowledge that maybe the other team played a role in their defeat, well then I have a problem.

Most of the time I won't post anything, but I want to. Believe it or not, there are plenty of times I sit on my hands!

I know it is tiresome to see posters come in and "show up" other posters, but after a week's talk of "we're gonna win and this is why; we pass/rush for x amount of yards; you can't stay on the field with us; etc...." you have got to know that SOMEONE is gonna throw those words back in your face. That's what makes this board so much fun. As long as it stays semi-respectable (LOL) I don't have a problem with it. :D

lulu
10-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I understand what you're saying and I have no problem with posters trying to figure out why/what caused their team to lose, but when they do so and do not acknowledge that maybe the other team played a role in their defeat, well then I have a problem.

Most of the time I won't post anything, but I want to. Believe it or not, there are plenty of times I sit on my hands!

I know it is tiresome to see posters come in and "show up" other posters, but after a week's talk of "we're gonna win and this is why; we pass/rush for x amount of yards; you can't stay on the field with us; etc...." you have got to know that SOMEONE is gonna throw those words back in your face. That's what makes this board so much fun. As long as it stays semi-respectable (LOL) I don't have a problem with it. :D

P4S I love the new ,,I think it's called, signature. Waaayyy Cute:D

big daddy russ
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
I find it hilarious when someone on here thinks just because you have 12,000 posts, you must know football. It's a dang internet forum for pete's sake.
As a poster with a 9k+, I agree completely. I think the biggest obstacles for someone new to the site is to learn how to word their thoughts the way they mean it to and for everyone else to understand that poster. Too many times we (and I include myself in this) jump to conclusions.

It's tough to convey certain things over the internet, no matter how many posts you have. And when others don't "get" your particular style, they get rubbed the wrong way over absolutely nothing. Then they attack the new guy, even after he tries to apologize and set the record straight.

LH Panther Mom
10-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
23 penalties for 245 yards,
Dang! That'll do it! ;)

trusteer/trublu
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
i m feeling it dog{{{{

poisoned10
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
Also, I don't see this one as much as I see it on other "regional" sites, but you will hear this exchange....

Fan Y: We are going to come over there and beat Team X like a rented mule. Team X doesn't have a prayer. We will beat Team X.

Fan X: Hold on there a minute, we have a good team, a good fan base, a long and storied tradition. We won't roll over for anyone. I think you might be surprised, and Team X will win this game.

Fan Y: Oh well, then. We may as well not even show up then, you arrogant piece of crap. I guess you think you are better than everyone else on here!

That one gives me an ache in my head.

That is the most annoying to me. It makes me want to reach through the computer and slap the poster who wrote it.

Maroon87
10-11-2009, 10:04 AM
As much as I could have said about some things that could excuse my team being shut out last night, I didn't because I don't believe in excuses when you get beat unless attorneys have to get involved.:)

That said, I have noticed on some other threads this year that when some of the posters are upset about their team losing a game they feel they should have won, they point out a number of things about the game that they feel led to the loss. It may be curious play calling, a wet field, 23 penalties for 245 yards, whatever. 90% of the time, there is no animosity or anger directed at the winner, just at the above mentioned mistakes. What is actually starting to get on my nerves is how some posters, usually the more mouthier ones we grow tired of, expect those fans to have nothing but praise, kiss a$$ to their greatness, and have no excuses. It is like saying anything but "congratulations, you whipped our a$$e$ all night long" is the only response these posters will allow you post without blasting you with crap like "maybe the better team won," or "maybe XXX's defense had something to do with that."

I am not even referring to Caldwell/Navasota because that thread has been very civil. But there are several others floating around that really irk me with this bullcrap. It is in any football fan's competitive nature to raise questions when their team loses, especially when they are favored. The last thing they want to hear, I am sure, is a statement that is more or less summed up to say "wah wah, you are overrated and we own you the rest of the season." To those obnoxious, defensive poster I say get off your high horse. When the tables are turned, you are no different.

Off soabbox now, but do any of you agree with me that the behavior is friggin obnoxious?

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Inmateboss
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by blowfish

Thats awesome!! I thought I was the only one that Jinxes the Team. My son plays Freshman FB for Graham and found out tonight that I can't make thursdays game, and is BENT about it cuz now their going to lose. Makes you feel like a Toad, for missing 1 game in 4 years. Dang I hope they win, not so Sweetwater will lose, but so I won't be the jinx.

Ranger Mom
10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by shamu85

Well....if you look at MY post count, you KNOW that isn't true!!!:D :D :D

Inmateboss
10-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
Thats awesome!! I thought I was the only one that Jinxes the Team. My son plays Freshman FB for Graham and found out tonight that I can't make thursdays game, and is BENT about it cuz now their going to lose. Makes you feel like a Toad, for missing 1 game in 4 years. Dang I hope they win, not so Sweetwater will lose, but so I won't be the jinx.

Well I'm not a jinx---Graham Freshmen 30-6

SintonFan
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
Well I'm not a jinx---Graham Freshmen 30-6

Awesome!:)

Dangit, I haven't found out my son's freshman team's score yet. I haven't been able to make many this year working out of town.:(

SintonFan
10-15-2009, 08:23 PM

I agree.
This topic has been discussed before though.
I think you put it better than what has been mentioned in the past.:cool: