PDA

View Full Version : Horse-Collar

lakers
10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Last night I witnessed a horse-collar tackle that ended the season for Clyde's quarterback (broke his leg). The NCAA and the Pros have already outlawed the tackle; and I am wondering if the UIL should do the same.

Do you think the UIL should make the horse-collar illegal?

LE Dad
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
They have, but to be a true "horse collar" the hand has to reach into the shoulder pad area and then the player pulled down by the pads.

lakers
10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Then what I witnessed the refs clearly missed the call then... Does that include bringing them down by the collar of their jersey?

GrTigers6
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Last night I witnessed a horse-collar tackle that ended the season for Clyde's quarterback (broke his leg). The NCAA and the Pros have already outlawed the tackle; and I am wondering if the UIL should do the same.

Do you think the UIL should make the horse-collar illegal? We have had two calls this year called against the opposing teams. but thankfully no one got hurt.

LE Dad
10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Then what I witnessed the refs clearly missed the call then... Does that include bringing them down by the collar of their jersey? My understanding is it has to be the pads.

blowfish
10-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I watched the play on the news last night and at first I thought it was a horse collar. After watching it again it looked as if the kid grabed his jersey about the middle of the numbers and pulled him backwards as the tackler fell forword onto the back of the QBs legs. i didnt look dirty to me and I have seen that play more and more oftern.

Just my opinion but some of the other penalties that are being called these days seem to be making these kids,college and pro as well, making more tackles by the jerseies. They have done away with the 5 yard face mask. You cant hit helmet to helmet anymore. If you lead with your shoulder they always think it is your helmet. If you slam someone sown it is unnecessary roughness.

I remember the days when tacklers actually put their arms around the ball cary and drove them to the ground. You hardly see that anymore.