PDA

View Full Version : Altering school's colors

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Is it just me, or does it bother other people when school officials of your alma mater up and decide to change or add some foolish "accent" color as if they run the show?

Caldwell's colors were originally gold and white as early as the 30's and I'm told were the "Golden Hornets" before they changed to traditional orange and white. Then I saw a letter jacket from the 60's and it was closer to caution orange and white. Some uniforms in the 70s and 80s were a blinding reddish-orange and white and the athletic program took it upon itself around 80 or so to become "Texas" orange and white even though they're closer to a brownish rust and white.

Now they have added a navy blue to coaches' shirts and cheerleaders and the band wears pants a blue so dark that they look black.

I'm sorry, but schools should stick to an identity and leave good enough alone. The program has come too far to not be recognized from one year to the next. Whoever dreams up these ideas is attention deficit... or something.

It needs to be on a ballot for an entire community or its graduates to decide, not a select few newcomers who move in, put on a sheriff's badge and call the shots.

Ranger Mom
10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I see what you are saying....Greenwood's colors are Columbia blue and white. When I first moved out here the "accent" color was red....I have to admit it didn't hurt my feelings at all when they changed that color from red to navy blue.

Although, if you saw our cheerleaders uniforms and the football players home uniforms, you would think that navy blue and white were our main colors...with columbia blue being the accent.

But....as much as that color is referred to as baby blue or powder blue....maybe there is a reason!!:D

Old Green
10-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Cuero's traditional colors have always been Kelly Green and White as long as I can remember. Several coaches between Coach Gilbreath and Coach Reeve had the uni's changed to different shades of green. Even had the team wearing black and forest green with white trim.

Coach Reeve went back to the tradional Kelly Green and White uni's that the Gobblers were famous for in the 60', 70's, & 80's with the 2 stripes on the pants leg, shoulders, and two stripes on the helmet to instill pride in the program again. Everyone's happy now.

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Cuero's traditional colors have always been Kelly Green and White as long as I can remember. Several coaches between Coach Gilbreath and Coach Reeve had the uni's changed to different shades of green. Even had the team wearing black and forest green with white trim.

Coach Reeve went back to the tradional Kelly Green and White uni's that the Gobblers were famous for in the 60', 70's, & 80's with the 2 stripes on the pants leg, shoulders, and two stripes on the helmet to instill pride in the program again. Everyone's happy now.

THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. But at least with green, you can sort of get by with various shades and it's still "green". Imagine someone moving in and saying "Nope, I like purple so the new colors are now green and purple. All in favor, say "aye" and bang the gauntlet before anyone can speak. It's b.s if you ask me.

Old Green
10-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by cntdwn
THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. But at least with green, you can sort of get by with various shades and it's still "green". Imagine someone moving in and saying "Nope, I like purple so the new colors are now green and purple. All in favor, say "aye" and bang the gauntlet before anyone can speak. It's b.s if you ask me. There was so much outrage over the black and forest green uni's back in the 90's that they only wore it one game.

Old Green
10-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Bay City school board members are up in arms right now over the BlackCat helmet logo. They say it doesn't rep the team properly. Sometimes traditions should be left alone.

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 09:40 AM
There was so much outrage over the black and forest green uni's back in the 90's that they only wore it one game.

... as it should be!

Caldwell might as well change its school song since it includes fans yelling "orange and white".

It's like having a new coworker start a new job and within a week start taking over and wanting to "improve the system."

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Bay City school board members are up in arms right now over the BlackCat helmet logo. They say it doesn't rep the team properly. Sometimes traditions should be left alone.

BC had a visually-impaired guy named Conklin who designed and helped paint a ferocious-looking black cat mural on the side of their old gym. I'll bet you that some wealthy know-it-all nosed in and decided to shake things up...and nobody had the balls to say anything until it was too late.

Trashman
10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I hate all the color changes as well. Usually it is the Coaches that want their teams to appear larger, so they dress them in darker colors. Look at the NFL The Buc's, Philly, and Denver have all gone to darker colors over the last few years.

sinton66
10-10-2009, 10:24 AM
When I was in school, Sinton let the senior class make that determination. Held a meeting and voted on everything from school colors, class motto, and even the alma mater. Most classes stuck with basic tradition, however. A few senior classes added some "Class Colors" accents such as black and silver, but still stuck with maroon and white. Don't know if any other schools do this.

pirate4state
10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
When I was in school, Sinton let the senior class make that determination. Held a meeting and voted on everything from school colors, class motto, and even the alma mater. Most classes stuck with basic tradition, however. A few senior classes added some "Class Colors" accents such as black and silver, but still stuck with maroon and white. Don't know if any other schools do this. Yeah, but that never translates over to unis.

I wouldn't mind using black as an accent to Maroon & White, but people get so bent out of shape about it. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it's silly to get worked up over something so small. Unless there is a drastic change (i.e. - maroon & white getting changed to teal & white) then get over it! Adding another color isn't gonna kill anyone.

And I'm not talking about anyone but Sinton with that comment.

Clyde
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Gatesville was always black and gold. They had old gold helmets in the mid 70's then switched to white. The uniforms were always similar to the New Orleans Saints or Purdue, with white helmets. In the 90's they switched to black helmets, but added silver and the home uniforms looked like the Oakland Raiders, except for the black helmets. They then went to black and white, with silver numbers and gold trim, like Colorado. Within the past decade, they have switched from Old Gold as an accent to gold as a secondary color to the black, like Iowa or the Steelers. It's hard to look at because it's never been used like it is now and it's an entirely different shade than has always been used. I guess I always like the blackand white with a limited use of old gold as an accent. Now the home unis are balc with yellowish gold numbers and trim. Kind of cartoonish.

sinton66
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yeah, but that never translates over to unis.

I wouldn't mind using black as an accent to Maroon & White, but people get so bent out of shape about it. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it's silly to get worked up over something so small. Unless there is a drastic change (i.e. - maroon & white getting changed to teal & white) then get over it! Adding another color isn't gonna kill anyone.

And I'm not talking about anyone but Sinton with that comment.

My senior year, the uniform colors were voted on also. We had the option to change them.

Old Tiger
10-10-2009, 11:16 AM
One thing that frustrated me was seeing Rockdale use yellow instead of gold. I'm glad coach Miller has brought back the traditional royal blue and gold look! Hopefully all the other sports will follow suit and get rid of the horrible yellow color.

GrTigers6
10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah our alumni made the board take out the black from our uniforms. Our uniforms this year are exactly like Texas Tech but in place of the black is white. I like it but didn't understand the problem with the black accents.
Where I went to school in the 80's. Santa Anna had black and Some kind of ugly dijon mustard gold. they voted to change it to the steelers colors and it was much better.

ziggy29
10-10-2009, 12:18 PM
At least the rest of you don't have a mascot called the "Yellowjackets" when the team colors are orange and black...

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Bridgeport has been Maroon and White forever. Our accent color has varied from grey, to black, to even, (gasp) a very dark Navy blue when I was a junior and senior. (Thanks to an ignoramus Coach... "Better Blue" my A$$ :mad: :mad: :mad: )

I love Maroon and white with black. But also like the grey. Either, so long as it is 98% Maroon and White.

GrTigers6
10-10-2009, 12:24 PM
You ought to see what happens when you try to change mascots. We had a suggestion a few years back to change to the Raptors, due to the Dinosaur tracks and tourism. It was shot down immediatly. Some times you just cant change tradition. :D

Trashman
10-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
At least the rest of you don't have a mascot called the "Yellowjackets" when the team colors are orange and black...

I never understood the orange and black for yellowjackets either. But at least your not the May Tigers with green and white colors. :D

WOS1
10-10-2009, 02:10 PM
WOS was Royal Blue and Silver in the beginning. Sometime in the 80's we went to the Penn State Navy, Silver and White. I like the Navy better than I did the Royal.

maroonpirate04
10-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't mind if Sinton added black/silver as long as maroon/white is the main colors i think it would look great when i order my garter for homecoming every year i always have them add black and silver:)

tigerfan09
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
This isn't really a color deal, but I notice that the Cameron Yoe athletes are now wearing caps that have the logo "CY" on them, instead of the "Y" that I remember wearing in the 80's and 90's. Personally, I don't really like this "CY" logo, and I wonder what some of the other Yoe alumni on this board think about this "CY" logo?

Antec
10-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Alvin is Yellowjackets and Orange and White

Palacios who's colors are Red and White wears Black jerseys at home and is now 3-0

Wharton is Red White and Blue-Has worn Red and then Blue colors at home over the years. Don't know what they wear at home his year but wore Blue last year.

East Bernard is maroon and white- They wore crimson or Burgundy for home colors a long time ago but went back to Maroon

Bay City is Blue and Gold but wears Blue at home.

Im sure some schools go through color changes- Orchard when it had a school was Orange and White

Eagle Lake was Orange and White as well I thinkg

Forgot was Garwood and Sheridan colors wore.

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Alvin is Yellowjackets and Orange and White

Palacios who's colors are Red and White wears Black jerseys at home and is now 3-0

Wharton is Red White and Blue-Has worn Red and then Blue colors at home over the years. Don't know what they wear at home his year but wore Blue last year.

East Bernard is maroon and white- They wore crimson or Burgundy for home colors a long time ago but went back to Maroon

Bay City is Blue and Gold but wears Blue at home.

Im sure some schools go through color changes- Orchard when it had a school was Orange and White

Eagle Lake was Orange and White as well I thinkg

Forgot was Garwood and Sheridan colors wore.

and your point?

El CuCUy
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
I wouldn't mind if Sinton added black/silver as long as maroon/white is the main colors i think it would look great when i order my garter for homecoming every year i always have them add black and silver:) You're 40 and you still get a homecoming garter every year????wow lol

LH Panther Mom
10-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by cntdwn
school officials - run the show?
You mean school officials are NOT supposed to run the show? :crazy1:

Originally posted by ziggy29
I always thought that was funny and mentioned to someone last year. I don't know if it's true or not because I've never stuck around long enough to find out, but they said when a yellowjacket is mad, the yellow changes to orange. :)