PDA

View Full Version : Smithville v La Grange

Pudlugger
10-10-2009, 12:05 AM
The La Grange Leps travel 17 miles down HWY 71 to Smithville for a crucial D25 game against a determined Tiger team on a roll. The Leps cannot afford a let down after their narrow victory over Bellville. This district is tight and their is no room for slackers. I think the Lep D will hold back the prolific Tiger scoring machine and their offense will put up some points barring another mud bowl.

La Grange 35
Smithville 20

jrhernandez7
10-10-2009, 12:21 AM
This game is goning to be a high octain intesne football game. everyone knows how la grange can light it up, but now smithville is starting to light it up as well the last couple of weeks. the tigers are playing like a team on a mission, i know this is the one game smithville circles on the calendar, so expect a Barnburner. i say

Tigers 38
Leps 35

Eye Man
10-10-2009, 12:41 AM
La Grange takes this one 35 to 14.

SintonFan
10-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The La Grange Leps travel 17 miles down HWY 71 to Smithville for a crucial D25 game against a determined Tiger team on a roll. The Leps cannot afford a let down after their narrow victory over Bellville. This district is tight and their is no room for slackers. I think the Lep D will hold back the prolific Tiger scoring machine and their offense will put up some points barring another mud bowl.

La Grange 35
Smithville 20

Pud, I hope you guys can beat Smithville but I worry it will be too close to call.:(

giddings4life88
10-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Idk guys, Smithville since the bye has been playing like a different team. Seems like during that bye they discovered they can pass the ball. Before that Smithville never threw the ball down field, and defenses keyed in on the run. Ever since Smithville started opening up the pass they been lights out. Smithville could suprise some folks if they haven't already and makes some real noise in district. Just look at Ace Fierro's numbers since/before the bye. Eye Popping. Adding the passing dimension to this already dynamic offense is pretty interesting. Smithville 42 La Grange 35, Smithville jumps out early then La Grange makes a game of it late.

Move The Chains
10-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Smithville is a good ball club, but I don;t think they're good enough to beat LG. They're legit this year.

I'll take LG 35-21

jrhernandez7
10-10-2009, 01:42 AM
4 of smithville first 6 games have been homecoming games this year including there own. 3 on the road ( Luling, Halletsville, columbus) and a tough yoakum team at home. they have been geting teams best shot. dont know exactly what that means against another tested team, but this may be whoever has the ball last game.

allforball
10-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by giddings4life88
Idk guys, Smithville since the bye has been playing like a different team. Seems like during that bye they discovered they can pass the ball. Before that Smithville never threw the ball down field, and defenses keyed in on the run. Ever since Smithville started opening up the pass they been lights out. Smithville could suprise some folks if they haven't already and makes some real noise in district. Just look at Ace Fierro's numbers since/before the bye. Eye Popping. Adding the passing dimension to this already dynamic offense is pretty interesting. Smithville 42 La Grange 35, Smithville jumps out early then La Grange makes a game of it late.

I don't see Smithville putting up 42 on the LG defense. It will be a close game but more like 28-21 OR if LG gets on all cylinders offensively, more like LG 42 Smithville 21. This is like the Longhorn/Aggie game. Smithville plans their whole season around wanting to beat LG (just like the Aggies). Give Smithville credit, they have come around. At Smithville, I do believe it will be a close one. Remember LG was embarassed last year by Smithville so there will be a lot of motivation this week for the Leps not allowing that to happen again.

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I respect LG's program, but I have to pull for Smithville in this one. Play like there's no tomorrows.

LG by 4

Pudlugger
10-10-2009, 09:23 AM
It all depends on which team wants the win the most and comes to play. If the Leps sleep walk into Smithville they will be humiliated again. Get your game on Leps because if you don't... well it wont be pretty.

cntdwn
10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
To say your team was "humiliated" implies that Smithville is some lowlife. It wouldn't be THAT much of a surprise any more.

Pudlugger
10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by cntdwn
To say your team was "humiliated" implies that Smithville is some lowlife. It wouldn't be THAT much of a surprise any more.

38-0 is humiliation. Maybe humbled would be a better term. The Tigers only district win last year was this blow out against the Leps. This year is different. Smithville is going to win some games in district, has a shot at district title and must be taken very seriously by all.

giddings4life88
10-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by allforball
I don't see Smithville putting up 42 on the LG defense. It will be a close game but more like 28-21 OR if LG gets on all cylinders offensively, more like LG 42 Smithville 21. This is like the Longhorn/Aggie game. Smithville plans their whole season around wanting to beat LG (just like the Aggies). Give Smithville credit, they have come around. At Smithville, I do believe it will be a close one. Remember LG was embarassed last year by Smithville so there will be a lot of motivation this week for the Leps not allowing that to happen again.

When I say put up 42, I'm not meaning all by the offense on La Granges defense, Smithville again returned the opening kickoff last night for 6. Smithville returning kicks for points has been standard at every game thus far, and I believe this trend will continue. Smithville is also very good a getting turnovers deep in their opponents territory setting up short fields, plus you've got to remember Smithville has the second highest scoring offense behind Sealy. Smithville can put points up on anyone, especially in a home game that is up tempo like I expect this one to be.

thepicker
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Low score with La Granges defense the x-factor. See La Grange in this one 21-10

hookandladder
10-10-2009, 02:41 PM
When I say put up 42, I'm not meaning all by the offense on La Granges defense, Smithville again returned the opening kickoff last night for 6. Smithville returning kicks for points has been standard at every game thus far, and I believe this trend will continue. Smithville is also very good a getting turnovers deep in their opponents territory setting up short fields, plus you've got to remember Smithville has the second highest scoring offense behind Sealy. Smithville can put points up on anyone, especially in a home game that is up tempo like I expect this one to be.

We do not kick the ball deep on kickoffs, so there will be no kickoffs returned for TD's against us. Smithville get ready to fair catch our kickoffs, if not someone is going to get lit up.

giddings4life88
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
We do not kick the ball deep on kickoffs, so there will be no kickoffs returned for TD's against us. Smithville get ready to fair catch our kickoffs, if not someone is going to get lit up.

Teams have been kicking short to Smithville all year because of their return game, and consequently the tigers have been dominating the field position game setting up short fields. That being said smithville has a kicker that can hit 35-40 yarders regularly another reason they've been putting up points.

jrhernandez7
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM

well smithville will be happy to take the field postition, That offense well move the ball. and a short feild might convert those in to points. And for big hits, i gota feeling there going some tightend chin straps in this one. Smithville well not be intimdated by a undefeated lg team, an lg is coming in determined. add the rivalry, where in for a classic.

Spread It Out
10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Smithville will be brought back down to earth after this one.

La Grange 38
Smithville 24

1st and goal
10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
After last year's Jaw dropping slobberknocker between these 2, I ain't picking neither one. I'm staying neutral cuz this district is going to be a wild ride for the next few weeks.

HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS FOLKS AND WATCH WITH AWE (a blend of fear and reverence)....

the genious
10-10-2009, 11:55 PM

columbus sqwibed the one that got taken to the house and will move #5 and #3 around to make sure they get the ball they were in the seong row at the end of last nights game they WILL get the ball one way or another

the genious
10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
did #30 get thrown out friday night becasue i heard he did and if he did can he play next friday??? he is a BIG part of thier defence

Pudlugger
10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by the genious
columbus sqwibed the one that got taken to the house and will move #5 and #3 around to make sure they get the ball they were in the seong row at the end of last nights game they WILL get the ball one way or another

I think the Leps special teams have been playing extremely well this year, especially kickoff coverage. If anyone in the second row tries to catch a high squib kick he will take a huge hit.

The Lep defense will be the best that
Smithville has faced this year. Remember they shut out Yoakum and held Bellville to 7. The Tiger defense will not hold the Leps offense to under 28 points imo. I think the Tigers will put up some points but the Leps will put up more in a high scoring game. That could change if the Leps are not really prepared mentally for a very tough game.
If the Leps can limit penalties and turnovers they should win this game.

La Grange 42
Smithville 28

jrhernandez7
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
the scary thing about this tiger team is, they just might be the most athletic team in the district. It is yet to be proven yet but they got strenght, they got speed, and now an emerging star QB. I dont know , as this teams does continue to emerge they are geting a "swagger" And playing with confedence. I think Lg might be overwhelmed for the first half, an smithville will hang on late. with bellville last week for the leps and giddings next week, an sealy luming, i hope LG dont forget about little ole smithville. should be a great game.

CueroDad08
10-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Smithville will be brought back down to earth after this one.

La Grange 38
Smithville 24

I would have to say Smithville has La Grange's number.
This will be a coin flip.
Smithville 27-24

And will bring LG "back down to earth"

giddings4life88
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I think the Leps special teams have been playing extremely well this year, especially kickoff coverage. If anyone in the second row tries to catch a high squib kick he will take a huge hit.

Smithville has faced this year. Remember they shut out Yoakum and held Bellville to 7. The Tiger defense will not hold the Leps offense to under 28 points imo. I think the Tigers will put up some points but the Leps will put up more in a high scoring game. That could change if the Leps are not really prepared mentally for a very tough game.
If the Leps can limit penalties and turnovers they should win this game.

La Grange 42
Smithville 28

I think the same goes for the tigers about being prepared mentally because in the last two game against yoakum and columbus, smithville led at the half 35-0 and 27-0. In the second half they've been putting it in cruise control letting their opponents puts some points on the board. Smithville has a very fast and VERY underated D. Interested to see them play at a high level for the entire game which I think will be the case this friday.

jrhernandez7
10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I think the same goes for the tigers about being prepared mentally because in the last two game against yoakum and columbus, smithville led at the half 35-0 and 27-0. In the second half they've been putting it in cruise control letting their opponents puts some points on the board. Smithville has a very fast and VERY underated D. Interested to see them play at a high level for the entire game which I think will be the case this friday.

yes there D is under-rated. In the first couple of games and in halletsville The offense was strugling geting acustomed to the spread and the D was keeping smithville in the games and allowing them to win. Now that smithville is opening it up, and puting up points they are dangerous, The D well have to play 2 halfs this week for sure. I wana see if the LG offense can get on track after a couple of week not puting up many points, well 1 bc a bye, but still not playing a game, and two in a mud bowl, so lets see if they can get back on track due to a bye and mother nautre.

giddings4life88
10-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Smithville has faced this year. Remember they shut out Yoakum and held Bellville to 7.

Holding Bellville to 7 points might be a little misleading. I've had people tell me that it was a muddy mess, although I don't know the specifics around that or how bad the conditions were. Given that it was still a great job by the Leps D. Alot of questions will be answered friday!

jrhernandez7
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Smithville is curently on a 5 game winning streak. the longest streak since wow, the 70;S i was told. but not sure. Smithville circles this game on the schedule, the tigers despise this team with a passion, but respect. With an udefeated lep team coming to town, this is going to be the biggest home game in a decade for the tigers.
Smithville is going to be pumped, and should be a great game atmesphere, it may be just enough to edge them past LG.

Pudlugger
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Holding Bellville to 7 points might be a little misleading. I've had people tell me that it was a muddy mess, although I don't know the specifics around that or how bad the conditions were. Given that it was still a great job by the Leps D. Alot of questions will be answered friday!

It was muddy on both sides of the ball in Bellville. Mud favors the power running game over a spread offense so I'd say the mud factor cancels itself out at the very least. The Lep D is much better than many think. They are averaging 10 points given up per game. This is going to be a great game. Both teams will put up some points Of course I hope the Leps put up more.:D

LHS 2SONS
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Will be very interesting and entertaining as two high powered offenses meet. LG 's defense is better (not by much) than Smithville's defense, this will be the difference in the game. LG by 10 as they pull away in the 4th. Someone will be 2-0 after Friday!

IHStangFan
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
GO LEPS!!!

La Grange by 13

pirate4state
10-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by cntdwn
I respect LG's program, but I have to pull for Smithville in this one. Play like there's no tomorrows.

LG by 4

Huh? You're pulling for Smithville, but are saying LG wins by 4?

From reading the thread, this sounds like maybe even teams. Anyone have any stats? What is LG's average yards per game? What is their defense giving up? Same for Smithville.

giddings4life88
10-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Huh? You're pulling for Smithville, but are saying LG wins by 4?

From reading the thread, this sounds like maybe even teams. Anyone have any stats? What is LG's average yards per game? What is their defense giving up? Same for Smithville.

A little preview of what I can find

Smithville (3rd) [PF-235][PA-134]
v
La Grange(2nd) [PF-197][PA-60]

and I know for Smithville Ace Fierro has 14 TD's 4INT's and almost exactly 1,000yds for the season. In the last 2 games he has also ran for 252yds and 3 scores so he's coming into this game on fire.

Hopefully some La Grange fans can let us know any of their teams stats.

LHS 2SONS
10-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
GO LEPS!!!

La Grange by 13

Welcome back IHS Stang

OldBison75
10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
The really scary thing about this game is the potiential for explosiveness of both teams. This will either be a run and gun scoring blitz or both defenses will be strong and it will be a low scoring battle. My bet is on the battle.

If Smithville pulls out the win, there is a real chance that Bellville, Giddings, Sealy, and LaGrange could all end the week with only one district loss and a very surprising Smithville could actually be atop the standings and undefeated.

Smithville has to win this game to be a strong playoff contender and LaGrange needs to make a statement to the rest of the district. I think the home field will make the difference and Smithville will pull out the win by a field goal, thanks to field position on one of those pooch kicks that LaGrange is known for.

Pudlugger
10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think this game will be close. The Tigers are going to face a better defense than they have faced thus far. Unless the Leps go in flat they will put up some points. Smithville will score as well but just not as much. I see a high scoring game with the Leps on top by a couple of tds (much like their win over Lockhart).

jrhernandez7
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think this game will be close. The Tigers are going to face a better defense than they have faced thus far. Unless the Leps go in flat they will put up some points. Smithville will score as well but just not as much. I see a high scoring game with the Leps on top by a couple of tds (much like their win over Lockhart).

As that may be true about the D, this may be the best set of athletes the leps have faced all year. should be a great game.

giddings4life88
10-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Looks like the weather friday is going to be sunny all day, and getting pretty chilly in the evening much like this past friday minus the rain. Sounds like perfect football weather, grab a hot chocolate and enjoy a great football atmosphere and game as the fields will be fast for these two explosive offenses!

Move The Chains
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Both offenses will light it up. 41-31 LG

giddings4life88
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I can tell this is the biggest game in smithville in I don't know how long. Heard today they were adding bleachers in the endzone to accommodate the expected huge crowd friday night

jrhernandez7
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I can tell this is the biggest game in smithville in I don't know how long. Heard today they were adding bleachers in the endzone to accommodate the expected huge crowd friday night

that is true, was running at the track earlyer and saw them, not to big must be for the band, but will open up a well sized section in the stands. It will be Packed, these tigers have eraned this big stage, and Big game. Now lets go win this thing tigers!!!!

Pudlugger
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM

This is great news. It is wonderful that the Smithville community is getting behind their team. I expect a good crowd from La Grange as well.

BaTmAn24
10-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't know. Smithville still hasn't convinced me that they are all that and that they are good enough to hang with La Grange. But, I'm optimistic and they could prove me wrong and have the big year they were supposed to have last year. Good luck to both teams.

La Grange by 14

Spread It Out
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I've heard a lot of good things lately about Smithville's QB Fierro (sp?). He's going to have to continue to do great things and have the game of his life for Smithville to hang with LG in this one.

giddings4life88
10-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BaTmAn24
I don't know. Smithville still hasn't convinced me that they are all that and that they are good enough to hang with La Grange. But, I'm optimistic and they could prove me wrong and have the big year they were supposed to have last year. Good luck to both teams.

La Grange by 14

The smithville team last year I agree were over matched in district, but this year with their new QB lighting up they are drastically improved. See columbus and yoakum. Last year both smithville losses. This year both blowouts. ALthough those teams may have changed as well.

HEMOTOXIC
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
La Grange 35
Smithville 21

jrhernandez7
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
I've heard a lot of good things lately about Smithville's QB Fierro (sp?). He's going to have to continue to do great things and have the game of his life for Smithville to hang with LG in this one.

he will have to play well yes, but just play within his self, smithville has alot of wepons that can kill you if you dont play smart sound D, another reason for his success. I expect smithville to have a few tricks up there sleves for this one. ;)

GiddingsFan
10-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I hope Smithville wins.

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Two spread teams with outstanding qbs are meeting up to battle it out. This is going to be an exciting ballgame. It should come down to which defense steps up. Good luck to the Leps tonight. Let's have a good clean injury free game!:)

giddings4life88
10-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Two spread teams with outstanding qbs are meeting up to battle it out. This is going to be an exciting ballgame. It should come down to which defense steps up. Good luck to the Leps tonight. Let's have a good clean injury free game!:)
:ditto:

teetle
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Pudpuller, he knows his team, if he say they win then they gonna win. That bes good enough for me. :eek: :hairpunk: :weeping:

LHS 2SONS
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
La Grange High School had a cake delivered to them this morning. It had orange and black icing, with some sayings and these may not be correct but it was something like this. Welcome to our jungle, Smithville Tigers 2 - 0 District, 38 - 0 enough said! 38 - 0 was the score that Smithville beat LG last year, if this does not fire our guys up nothing will.

teetle
10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Whats a coach to do to fire his team up. I feels really sure that the Smithvills coach did that. The Lep Coach learned that from T.J. Mills , he knowed how to do those things. He knew what to do. Just like Jimmie.:D :eek: :eek:

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
La Grange High School had a cake delivered to them this morning. It had orange and black icing, with some sayings and these may not be correct but it was something like this. Welcome to our jungle, Smithville Tigers 2 - 0 District, 38 - 0 enough said! 38 - 0 was the score that Smithville beat LG last year, if this does not fire our guys up nothing will.

Wow! That was not a good move on the part of some Smithville fans. The Leps still are smarting from last year and now this! Talk about stepping on Superman's cape! Poking a Leopard with a stick...not smart. Leps win this one tonight big time.

GiddingsFan
10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
LOVE it. Great taunting.

pirate4state
10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Wow! That was not a good move on the part of some Smithville fans. The Leps still are smarting from last year and now this! Talk about stepping on Superman's cape! Poking a Leopard with a stick...not smart. Leps win this one tonight big time. LG = Superman? :eek: :D

I actually LOVE this. I don't care who do it! :clap: You can never put anything past coaches/fans/parents these days!

Balcones fault
10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I recently learned that the Smithville coach is the son of my HS football and basketball coach. Reckon I'll have to vote for Smithville on this one. Hope it doesn't jinx them. :)

giddings4life88
10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS

Haha this doesn't seem like smithvilles style to do something like that. Maybe it was a LG coach behind the cake just to fire up his own team?

Eye Man
10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I think your right. I'm sure this was one of the fans or coaches just trying the fire things up a little. I looking for a hard fought game by both teams. This said I'll take the Leopards by 18.

29-3aFAN
10-16-2009, 08:52 PM
What's happenin over in smithville?

Booter11
10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
LG 31- Smithville 28 3rd qtr

CHEERDAD
10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Final Score:

La Grange 45
Smitville 42

IHStangFan
10-16-2009, 10:33 PM
WOW!!! Sounds like a great game!!! Way to go Leps!!! :clap:

Smithville has made a statement though! They're for real.

jrhernandez7
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
first of all that was one of the most exciting games ive seen in a long time. and feel privalged to see it. what can i say, LG would score, smithville would answer, just win it looked like Lg was gona pull away, smithville would battle back. The one mistake on the pic that set up lg inside the 5 the QB for sville made proved to be the diff. Smithville had a chance to win this game, big 4th qt stop and had ball down 3 with a couple min, but just couldnt get that last drive they needed. smithville earned there colers tonight. you have not heard the last of these tigers.

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Terrific offensive struggle. Congratulations to the Leps for hanging in and not letting up. The Tigers have no quit in them and will win some more games in D25. Hats off to the Tigers, they showed real athleticism and fight tonight. LG manages to hold on to the lead and leave with the win again. Go Leps! 7-0 2-0 beat Giddings!

giddings4life88
10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Smithville 42 La Grange 35, Smithville jumps out early then La Grange makes a game of it late.

Originally posted by allforball
I don't see Smithville putting up 42 on the LG defense. It will be a close game but more like 28-21 OR if LG gets on all cylinders offensively, more like LG 42 Smithville 21.

Looks like I was right on Smithvilles score, LG not so much. Smithville proved tonight they can play with anyone and that they can score on anyone, tonight putting up 42 on arguably the best defense in the district. LG deserved to win this game, and Smithville shot themself in the foot when they threw a needless interception early and it was returned to their own 1, the other pick by LG to end the game was just a great defensive effort. Smithville also had some mental mistakes they need to work on, I believe 3 times they had drive killing penalties, If they can work on those mistakes I believe they will be a very difficult team to beat. Beware the rest of D25 this team is the real deal.

giddings4life88
10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Another thing why was the LG crowd booing when one of Smithvilles players were legitimently hurt? I was suprised by that, I was expecting a little more class when LG already had the game in hand.

29-3aFAN
10-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Sounded like one hell of a game.

GiddingsFan
10-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like LG is going to have an issue with Giddings defense. We will put a stop to them, no doubt.

Booing when a player is down is crappy. Not surprised though. Sure wish we were playing LG at home...

LHS 2SONS
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Another thing why was the LG crowd booing when one of Smithvilles players were legitimently hurt? I was suprised by that, I was expecting a little more class when LG already had the game in hand.

Before i get to this quote, WOW what a game, Smithville really impressed me, they have some really great athletes. This District will be exciting and interesting all the way to the end.

The kid was not hurt, he gave cheap shots all night long, when LG took the knee at the end of the game, he came across and tried to hit our qb and one of our lineman stepped between them and he took a swing at one of our players, all of the Smithville players pulled him away and he still was trying to start stuff. The head official pointed at him to go to the sideline and at the same time the Smithville coaches was sending another player in for him. He starting acting hurt after he heard the boos. He also was the same player that when all of the other Smithville players lined up for LG's school song, threw his helmet down and walked off the field. Except for one player, it was a class act by Smithville players and coaches. Everybody else better watch out for Smithville. Great game Tigers!

Pudlugger
10-17-2009, 12:08 PM
It was an intense game and there was some over exuberance as is usually the case when the Leps play Smithville. The refs, however, made some egregious calls including a trapped pass reception called complete on 3rd and long in the third quarter(leading to a score on the next play) and a phantom "face mask" penalty when the Leps tackled the qb in the end zone for what should have been a safety in the last minutes of the game giving them a first down on the 20 and new life. No one saw the foul. We also had a touchdown called back for a questionable chop block, several holding calls and some chicken poop personal fouls. I don't think they called holding on Smithville more than once although our cb #27 was held on the pass rush numerous times right in front of the refs. The Leps were lucky to get out with the win considering the officiating. That brought out the boo birds imo. The booing of the downed player began when the official stopped the clock in the Leps second to last drive in the closing few minutes on a run up the middle. Apparently some LG fans thought the Smithville player was trying to stop the clock and it wasn't apparent he was having cramps as he was sitting up on a knee. That was uncalled for imo and an embarrassment to the LG fans. [BTW why was the 25 second clock turned off in the second quarter of the game?] But it is all history now. Smithville impressed everyone and the boys just played tough football. Time to move on and get ready for Giddings and the Tigers for Sealy.

giddings4life88
10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Ehh its understandable the fustration the LG fans were feeling being a close game and that Smithville wouldn't go away, I think the pressure of them possibly losing two years in a row to the tigers made them antsy but congrats again to LG, and the 25 second clock was stopped because it was malfunctioning and it was confusing the quarterbacks.

Pudlugger
10-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Ehh its understandable the fustration the LG fans were feeling being a close game and that Smithville wouldn't go away, I think the pressure of them possibly losing two years in a row to the tigers made them antsy but congrats again to LG, and the 25 second clock was stopped because it was malfunctioning and it was confusing the quarterbacks.

Well said. Good luck to the Smithville Tigers next week.

GiddingsFan
10-17-2009, 04:48 PM
This is from the Statesman Forums...
"AWFUL AWFUL By myali_grl
I just witnessed the most disrespectful and disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. The La Grange fans should be ashamed of themselves and the community should be embarrassed. The La Grange fans were still screaming even after it was announced that the National Anthem was being played, they did not stop until it started. Then when a player from Smithville was injured they were screaming at him to get up. We are not talking a couple of stupid people we are talking about A LOT of stupid people and grown adults. I could not believe I witnessed that. I am sure there were Smithville fans talking smack but I was amazed at the number of people screaming at a hurt player. I plan on telling this story to every public forum I can find. I want people to know how the La Grange Leopards behave. Both teams played a great game and it was very exciting. I can at least say one thing, Smithville's football team may have come up short but at least we have class."

LHS 2SONS
10-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
I just witnessed the most disrespectful and disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. The La Grange fans should be ashamed of themselves and the community should be embarrassed. The La Grange fans were still screaming even after it was announced that the National Anthem was being played, they did not stop until it started. Then when a player from Smithville was injured they were screaming at him to get up. We are not talking a couple of stupid people we are talking about A LOT of stupid people and grown adults. I could not believe I witnessed that. I am sure there were Smithville fans talking smack but I was amazed at the number of people screaming at a hurt player. I plan on telling this story to every public forum I can find. I want people to know how the La Grange Leopards behave. Both teams played a great game and it was very exciting. I can at least say one thing, Smithville's football team may have come up short but at least we have class."

Well on behalf of La Grange, I would like to apologize for the way LG supports thier team. I guess some towns do not cheer as much as LG fans do when thier team comes out onto the football field. I also guess it is LG's fault that the pa system at Smithville is horrible, the only time you can here the announcer on the Visitor's side is when it is almost complete silence. I guess you are deaf in the ear from the Smithville's concession stand, as it was noise coming from their the entire time the national anthem was played. At least LG fans stopped cheering when the national anthem started playing. I am not making an excuse for the booing of the injured player, but most people were booing at the ref where a cheap shot was made and he just smiled at the player that did the cheap shot, but the booing should have stopped as soon as we saw the injured player. Their is no excuse for that at all. You may pass this response to all of the other forums as well.

Pudlugger
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Nobody in the visiting stands was screaming when the National Anthem was played. Sure they were screaming before as the Leps came on the field. Maybe the announcer could wait a few seconds before starting the anthem to allow the visiting team time to settle down. The booing started when the refs blew the whistle on a running play where the Leps were trying to run down the clock in the final 2 minutes. The refs had been making wierd and questionable calls all during the game so it didn't opccur to anyone that there was a player down. When it became clear there was an injured player it stopped. The Lep fans clapped for the kid when he left the field due to cramping legs. This sounds like sour grapes to me. Go tell it on the mountain.

giddings4life88
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan

I believe this was written right after the game when emotions were still high after losing a gut wrenching game, and them seeing the winning team booing a hurt smithville player, or so it seemed at the time, and about the national anthem, I didn't really have a problem with LG. I think it's best to just move on, although next years game is looking to be another good one now ;)