PDA

View Full Version : Golfer loses arm in gator attack

IrishTex
10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Associated Press

BEAUFORT, S.C. -- Officials say an alligator bit off part of a golfer's arm as he leaned over to pick up his ball at a private South Carolina course.

The man, who is in his 70s, was retrieving his ball from a pond when the 10-foot alligator bit him at Ocean Creek Golf Course in Beaufort County. The gator pulled the golfer into the pond and ripped off his arm in the struggle. His golf partners were able to free him.

Wildlife workers killed the alligator and retrieved the arm in the hopes it might be reattached.

The man has not been identified. He was being treated at the Medical University of South Carolina, but officials there would not release any information about him.

A call to the golf course was not immediately returned.

ESPN Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4545614)

44INAROW
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
yikes.. poor guy.. :(

I hope his buddies at least gave him a decent "drop lie".. :D sorry, I know that's probably not PC but if he's a regular golfer, he'd appreciate the humor :)

IrishTex
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
yikes.. poor guy.. :(

I hope his buddies at least gave him a decent "drop lie".. :D sorry, I know that's probably not PC but if he's a regular golfer, he'd appreciate the humor :)

LOL I am sorry to admit that I read one of the responses to the story as this gives new meaning to the phrase "water hazard"...lol sorry, I couldn't help it.

Gobbla2001
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Wait a minute.......... there are alligators in SC?? :eek:

I almost lost my arm to a gator in a gator-feedin' session... there's this little natural pond thing around here that I go by now and again... usually there's some small alligators in it but there were two bigger ones this one time... one was about 7 ft and the other about 9-10... well I got out of my car and leaned against it just watching... this car pulled up and a lady and her little kid got out and started feedin' 'em chicken wings (mango habenero... or was it Asian Zing?)... one of the wings didn't quite make the water, was about two inches from the water... the 9-10 footer was two feet from the chicken wing (the last wing too, the kid was just waiting and waiting), so I reached down, grabbed the wing and as I went to toss it the gator snapped at it... I told him "not nice" and hit him with an oyster shell... he got the point and scooted... and I got the wing...

food chain... human here... alligator down there....

Gobbla2001
10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
actually, truth be known the gator, which was infact 9-10 ft long, was three feet from the wing... I did pick it up, tossed it at him and hit him between the eyes.. the wing rolled into the water but he grabbed it, ate it and I left... no snapping, no almost losing arm, no oyster shell...

jp744
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
That is really funny. Sorry as all get out. But really funny. same thoughts went through my head when I read it to. Did the guy not know of gators in the swamp or what? A dozen of Pro V1x is not worth an arm and trauma of a gator attack.

STANG RED
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Gotta look at the bright side here. At least the guy doesnt have to worry about correcting that slice problem anymore. :devil:

ronwx5x
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
actually, truth be known the gator, which was infact 9-10 ft long, was three feet from the wing... I did pick it up, tossed it at him and hit him between the eyes.. the wing rolled into the water but he grabbed it, ate it and I left... no snapping, no almost losing arm, no oyster shell...

I liked your first version better.:D

Tres Lobos
10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Sounds like this guy is chubs off of happy gilmore haha, had to throw that one in there. But really that sucks for this guy.

swstangs001
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
Sounds like this guy is chubs off of happy gilmore haha, had to throw that one in there. But really that sucks for this guy.

i wonder if he yanked out his eyeball?

coach
10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
i wonder if he yanked out his eyeball?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

IrishTex
10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/10/gators.jpg

http://www.ourkitchensink.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/chubbs-and-happy.jpg

Mr_Shrapnel
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Pond's in the ground, water's in the pond, ball's in the water, gator's in the water... Our gator... We're gonna need a longer club.