PDA

View Full Version : Running backs enjoy rivalry within a rivalry

29-3aFAN
10-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Trent Jackson and Trey Hights share a friendship, a position, a passion for football and a desire to be successful.

But the running backs will do so from opposite sidelines Friday night when No. 6 Cuero (5-0) travels to Bulldog Stadium to face Yoakum (2-3) for the 99th meeting of the DeWitt County rivals in their District 28-3A opener.

"It's a little friendly rivalry between us," Jackson said. "I always try to compete with other backs."

Jackson was at his competitive best last season when he carried 18 times for 222 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Gobblers to a 49-14 win over the Bulldogs.

Hights did everything he could to keep Yoakum in the contest by rushing 23 times for 169 yards and scoring both of the Bulldogs' touchdowns.

"I'm expecting them to be aware of me," Hights said. "I'm looking forward to it. I really am."

Hights, a senior, and Jackson, a sophomore, have done nothing with their performance during non-district play to diminish expectations for what is likely to be the final meeting of the backs.

Hights has had fewer carries since transitioning to a new offense installed by first-year coach Brent Kornegay. He has made the most of his chances, carrying 70 times for 586 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Hights carried 209 times for 1,345 yards and 19 touchdowns last season while leading Yoakum to the Division II area playoffs and earning first-team all-district and all-area honors.

"I've gotten stronger and smarter and much bigger than I was last year," the 215-pound Hights said. "The way I run is easier. It's like everybody else is in slow motion when I run. It just feels a lot different."

Kornegay has noticed a difference in Hights from the back he saw on tape last season.

"He's become more a downhill runner than he was last year, which has been a positive," Kornegay said. "I felt like he had the tools to be a downhill runner and he's done that. He's a tough back. He's hard to bring down."

Jackson had his breakout game against Yoakum last season and went on to eclipse Robert Strait's freshman school records by rushing 114 times for 1,436 yards and 21 touchdowns. He was the newcomer of the year on the all-district and all-area teams.

"My biggest concern was putting on more weight and retaining the speed I had," the 170-pound Jackson said. "I was just expecting to do better than last season. I just try to keep improving."

Jackson has been busier this season, carrying 73 times for 638 yards and nine touchdowns.

"I think he's got good vision," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "He's got that great break, he sees the field well and he's a tough kid."

Jackson and Hights appreciate each other's skills and are looking forward to getting an up-close view.

"He has power and agility," Jackson said of Hights. "He's just a real good back."

"He runs hard and he's got pretty good vision," Hights said of Jackson. "He's got some speed on him and that helps him out."

The running backs enjoy the friendly competition, but they haven't lost sight of the bigger picture.

"I don't mind if I get less carries," Hights said. "As long as we win and get the "W" at the end of the game that's all that really matters."

"I'm OK with anything," Jackson agreed. "It doesn't matter as long as we win."

KingRob
10-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Should be a goodern!

Thanks for posting!