PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant Inelgible at Okie State

Old Tiger
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
(STILLWATER, Okla., Oct. 7, 2009) -- Dez Bryant has been ruled ineligible for a violation of NCAA bylaw 10.1(d).

Oklahoma State University has already begun the process of applying to the NCAA on his behalf for reinstatement.

This incident does not involve anyone associated with the OSU football or athletic department staffs, any employee of the university, alumni, donors, or any third-party affiliated with OSU.

OSU is taking this step because Bryant failed to openly disclose to the NCAA the full details of his interaction with a former NFL player not affiliated with OSU.

The University issued the following statement from Bryant: “I made a mistake by not being entirely truthful when meeting with the NCAA. I sincerely regret my mistake and apologize to my teammates, coaches, OSU fans and the NCAA.”

OSU coach Mike Gundy said: “We are certainly disappointed, but we are moving forward as we would with any challenge during the season.”

Due to the ongoing investigation of this matter, OSU has no additional comment at this time.

Phil C
10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Probably another victim of society. :(

LionKing
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Last year in all their big games (they lost all of them) Bryant never was much of a factor, some OSU fans think he's the next Jerry Rice, while other OSU fans call him the ''ghost'' because of his big game disappearing acts.

WylieBulldog92
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
They're definitely done, especially with Kendall Hunter not living up to expectations this year.

Astrosdawg07
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
SI LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/10/07/bryant.ap/index.html)

WylieBulldog92
10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Also to add on I think he was training with Deion Sanders during the offseason and I think that's what the suspension for, whatever the reason though, the NCAA sucks a big one.

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
wow...it must have been something big for the NCAA to decide to sit him out for the rest of the season.

dawg4life
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
ok. i guess ill go ahead and ask it. What are A&M's chances now?

WylieBulldog92
10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
wow...it must have been something big for the NCAA to decide to sit him out for the rest of the season.
Nope he just wasn't truthful about what happened.

Global Swarming
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Yep poor victim of society. We're not responsible for our own actions. Just blame everything on society and that makes it all better. That's why we are turning into an entitlement country. You screw up, confess, pay the price and move on.

WylieBulldog92
10-07-2009, 04:59 PM
This is why I'm suspended.....I went to Deion sanders house ....and the NCAA found out.....they ask me if I been to his house I told them no...I thought it was a violation...but it wasn't... so I told them I went to his house... I lied to ...them and I shouldn't have....and I'm not suspended for the rest of the season....I'm sorry osu!!"

This is Dez's Facebook status.

sahen
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
This is why I'm suspended.....I went to Deion sanders house ....and the NCAA found out.....they ask me if I been to his house I told them no...I thought it was a violation...but it wasn't... so I told them I went to his house... I lied to ...them and I shouldn't have....and I'm not suspended for the rest of the season....I'm sorry osu!!"

This is Dez's Facebook status.

to paraphrase "i thought i did something wrong so i lied about it, when i found out it wasnt wrong i told on myself and now im in a little bit of trouble...."

shows some real character there ::rolls eyes:: if it was a violation he wouldve never got in trouble because he just never wouldve fessed up...he prolly thought he wouldnt miss any playing time or he wouldnt have fessed up in the first place...he may have really messed up big though cause the NCAA likes to take their own sweet time when it comes to determining if someone can have elgibility re-instated, i could see them dragging their feet on this since he lied to them and making him sit out numerous games, if not the rest of the season til bowl time...

Gobbla2001
10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by dawg4life
ok. i guess ill go ahead and ask it. What are A&M's chances now?

I'll put her this way....... ready?....... okay:

Dez Bryant didn't play for Arkansas last week...

I said good day!

Gobbler Fan
10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
lol :clap:

WylieBulldog92
10-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Another article.

Oklahoma State Declares Star Receiver Bryant Ineligible
By THAYER EVANS
Published: October 7, 2009

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State’s all-American wide receiver, was declared ineligible by the university Wednesday for failing to fully disclose to the N.C.A.A details of contact he had with the former N.F.L. player Deion Sanders.

According to an Oklahoma State statement, Bryant, a junior, did not tell the N.C.A.A. the full details of his interaction with a former N.F.L. player not affiliated with the university. Sanders said in a telephone interview that he was the player.

Oklahoma State has begun the process to apply for Bryant’s reinstatement. The No. 15 Cowboys open Big 12 play Saturday at Texas A&M.

Bryant was ruled ineligible for violating N.C.A.A. bylaw 10.1 (d), which prohibits “knowingly furnishing the N.C.A.A. or the individual’s institution false or misleading information concerning the individual’s involvement in or knowledge of matters relevant to a possible violation of an N.C.A.A. regulation.”

Sanders said the suspension stemmed from a day he and Bryant spent together last summer. They met at an athletics center in Frisco, Tex., and later had dinner at Sanders’s home in Prosper, Tex. Sanders said the N.C.A.A. asked Bryant if he had ever been in Sanders’s home and Bryant said no when in fact he had.

Bryant could not be reached for comment through the university but said in its statement: “I made a mistake by not being entirely truthful when meeting with the N.C.A.A. I sincerely regret my mistake and apologize to my teammates, coaches, O.S.U. fans and the N.C.A.A.”
Coach Mike Gundy said in the statement, “We are certainly disappointed, but we are moving forward as we would with any challenge during the season.”

The N.C.A.A. did not respond to a request for comment.
Sanders said Bryant had visited him to help with his youth camp and to mentor younger players. Sanders said he and Bryant visited an athletics center called Fieldhouse USA, where Sanders met with a group of business partners to consider using it for Prime U, his organization for training players in preparation for the N.F.L. Sanders said he did not enter into a business agreement with Fieldhouse USA.

At Fieldhouse USA, Sanders said, he and Bryant jogged together before leaving for lunch. Later, Sanders said, Bryant and his girlfriend ate dinner at Sanders’s house with him and his wife.

Sanders said Gary Oliver, director of operations at Fieldhouse USA, called the N.C.A.A. to report a violation involving Bryant’s interaction with Sanders. Oliver did not respond to a message left for him Wednesday afternoon.

Sanders said the N.C.A.A. told him it was investigating his relationship with Bryant. Sanders said he reiterated that he only mentored Bryant and never worked out with him at Fieldhouse USA, which does not have workout facilities but has a soccer field and basketball courts.

“The kid panicked, man,” Sanders said. “He panicked. He thought it was a violation to come over to my house and it isn’t. He said no, that he hadn’t been over here, and I said, yeah, he had been over here. I don’t lie and he panicked.”

Sanders said he was asked two years ago to mentor Bryant because of Bryant’s difficult past; his mother served time in prison on a drug-sale conviction.

Sanders said that before he started mentoring Bryant, he called Oklahoma State’s receivers coach to ensure that it was O.K.

“When Dez is late to class, the coach calls me,” Sanders said. “When Dez doesn’t show up for this, the coach calls me.”

Last season, Bryant had 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns and scored twice on punt returns. This season, he has a team-high 17 catches for 323 yards and 4 touchdowns despite missing one game and part of another because of injuries.

__________________________________________________ ___

So who is Gary Oliver?

Why does this come out NOW when Dez was at Deions house 2 summers ago???

WELL LETS SEE....

Gary L. Oliver is the Director of Operations for the Sports Village project. Mr. Oliver has been one of the winningest high school football coaches in the state of Texas over the last five seasons. Mr. Oliver’s teams have won four District Championships, three Regional Championships and two State Championships. He has won Coach of the Year honors for the past five seasons and has had 22 players sign scholarships to play college football. Mr. Oliver is the first to say that he is fortunate to have had outstanding players and coaches under his leadership who were dedicated and committed to being champions. As a head football coach Mr. Oliver has a winning percentage of .712 and ranks as one of the top coaches in the State of Texas. Mr. Oliver has an aggressive attacking style of offense that has allowed his teams to rank as one of the top teams in the state. Mr. Oliver began coaching in 1991 as a graduate assistant for Texas A&M University. He coached for the Aggies in 1991 and 1992 winning Conference Championships both seasons. Mr. Oliver enjoyed a successful seven-year college coaching career with stints at Southern Methodist University and also as offensive coordinator at Sam Houston State University before becoming an athletic director and head football coach at the high school level.
Mr. Oliver began his playing career as a walk-on football player at Texas A&M University in 1986. He earned a full athletic scholarship in his first year and finished his career as a three-year starter for the Aggies at wide receiver. The Aggie football team enjoyed much success with Mr. Oliver as their starting receiver winning two Conference Championships and playing in the Cotton Bowl twice, Sun Bowl and also the Holiday Bowl. Mr. Oliver has a successful nineteen year track record in the athletic arena. He has volunteered much of this time coaching thousands of kids in basketball, baseball, softball and football in youth programs across the state. He is a man who makes a good impression with his straight forward approach and passion for athletics. He has a remarkable ability to create a working environment which fosters trust and loyalty among both athletes and coaches. Mr. Oliver earned a Bachelor of Arts in Science and a Masters in Education, both from Texas A&M University.