PDA

View Full Version : Longest distance to travel

Pick6
10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I think Gainesville will have the longest away game next year.

Leopards to play 2010 football game in California
DARIN ALLRED Register Sports Writer

The Gainesville Leopards have made some long road trips in their history, but the one they will take to start the 2010 season will top them all.

The Leopards will start next season with a trip to California to face Scotts Valley, the same school that traveled to Gainesville in 2005 for the “Sizzle Bowl” season opener. Gainesville won that game 33-0.

Gainesville Independent School District trustees heard a proposal from Leopard Booster Club president Doug Wade at their regular meeting Monday. Wade said the Booster Club would use fundraisers throughout the year to pay for the trip, which is expected to cost around $1,000 per student which will include airfare, ground transportation, hotel and food.

Gainesville ISD superintendent Bill Gravitt says that the football team and cheerleaders will make the trip.

The game will be played Sept. 4, 2010 at Cabrillo College in Santa Cruz county, just south of San Francisco. In addition to the game, a banquet will be held on the beach at Monterey Bay and Leopard players are expected to attend a half-day of school at Scotts Valley High School on the Friday before the game.

“They have been trying to get us to go out there for a while. I think they are trying to get even with us,” Gravitt joked. “The Booster Club has been working on this for the past couple of years. If we can do it in a safe manner then I am all for it. We have a lot of kids in our school that will never have the opportunity to do something like this again.”

Scotts Valley has played Alice (TX) the last two years

In 2005, the Leopards hosted Scotts Valley at Leeper Stadium. A banquet was held at the Civic Center on the Thursday before the game. The 2005 Leopards advanced all the way to the Class 3A Division I state championship game before falling to Wimberly.

Link (http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/homepage/local_story_279133522.html)

3&2count
10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
the article said players and cheerleaders.

$1,000 for each kid - That could run $80,000 or $100,000 easy.

You factor in coaches, players, cheerleaders, managers, trainers....

Wow that is a lot of fundraising to play one football game.

How many fans do you think make that trip?

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 3&2count
the article said players and cheerleaders.

$1,000 for each kid - That could run $80,000 or $100,000 easy.

You factor in coaches, players, cheerleaders, managers, trainers....

Wow that is a lot of fundraising to play one football game.

How many fans do you think make that trip? Say 8 coaches, 40 players, 12 cheerleaders, 4 managers

That's 64 people. Now, I don't know if that many will go, or whether they will cut back on players, coaches, cheerleaders, mangers, etc or whether they will take even more tha that.

Matthew328
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
What will Gainesville do for a season opener in 2011?

Twirling Time
10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
What will Gainesville do for a season opener in 2011?

Powder-puff game.

Pick6
10-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Powder-puff game.

Can they schedule Celina twice in one season?

alaskacat
10-08-2009, 01:36 AM
That should be a good game, but on travel, up here in Alaska Nikiski plays 2 away games in state that are almost that far.
Kodiak, 2 hour plane ride
Barrow 3 hour plane ride

Eilson 14 hour bus ride (2 days)
Valdez 14 hour bus ride (2 days)
Seward 5 hours
Homer 3 hours

Kenai 30 minute
Soldotna 45 minutes

Now the playoffs get worse:)
And the players are required to raise their own money for travel, the schools furnish not much.