PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree, 49ers agree to deal

IrishTex
10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
After months of holding out, wide receiver Michael Crabtree has agreed to a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Crabtree will get a six-year deal that he can void to five years if he meets undefined performance clauses, a league source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The 22-year-old Crabtree is expected to report to the team's training facility Wednesday.

Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker met into the early-morning hours Wednesday with 49ers owner Jed York, general manager Scot McCloughan and Paraag Marathe, vice president of football operations. The two sides had gone almost three weeks without talking.

San Francisco selected Crabtree with the 10th pick in this year's draft and could use the wideout's game-breaking ability in the passing game. That said, he has a lot of catching up to do to learn the offense after missing all of training camp.

He also sat out the 49ers' offseason minicamps and organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury, but was a regular presence for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts at the team's training facility.

Coach Mike Singletary, whose 49ers lead the NFC West and at 3-1 are off to their best start since 2002, said Monday he would welcome Crabtree whenever he joins the team.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his college career with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538482)

headhunter
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Stupidest mistake he made was holding out this long. It's about time.

Phil C
10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Great news indeed. He will do a fantastic job for them. Now if someone will just throw the ball his way he will start making catches for the 49ers.

marler1972
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
Stupidest mistake he made was holding out this long. It's about time.

Well that has yet to be seen. Wait till the terms of the deal come out. He will be fine give him a couple weeks.

pirate4state
10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder how he'll be treated in the locker room?

marler1972
10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I wonder how he'll be treated in the locker room?

I would think he will be well recieved. If you hear the players around the league talk they always say this is a business and Crabs made a business decision.

buff4ever
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Great news indeed. He will do a fantastic job for them. Now if someone will just throw the ball his way he will start making catches for the 49ers.

You and I are just glad he is not catching balls for TT anymore, maybe for different reason, but we are both glad

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Glad they came to a deal. I like Singletary, I like the 49'ers, and I like Crabtree.

Hope he does well. Might pick him up in my FF league. :)

IrishTex
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm listening to The Ticket (www.theticket.com) and there was a report M.C. Hammer was part of the negotiations?

What's up with that?

:D

AAA87
10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
wonder if being 3-1 and not 1-3 had anything to do with him coming back....sure it will lessen glass' receptions....mike singletary is the man in my book...not just cause we have degrees from the same place either:)

westtxfballfan
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Braylon Edwards getting traded to Jets the same day as Crabtree signing makes me think there was something to the 49ers accusations that the Jets were interfering with their negotiations with Crabtree. Crabtree looking like he's gonna sign with the niners, so Jets cut a deal for another receiver.

rangerjoe33
10-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by AAA87
wonder if being 3-1 and not 1-3 had anything to do with him coming back....sure it will lessen glass' receptions....mike singletary is the man in my book...not just cause we have degrees from the same place either:)

I thought the same thing, I am happy for the 49er's that Singletary is there, he is an old school type of coach, I love that.

However, I would love to see the 49er's continue to win and see Crabtree fail this year...

Old Tiger
10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
he's useless this year and will likely not see the field

Emerson1
10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
There is 11 weeks left in the season. You seriously think a player the 49ers were so desperate to sign will not see the field at all?

hookandladder
10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe he felt bad after what Jim Brown said about him.

STANG RED
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
:confused: Are you serious? I bet he sees the field within 2 weeks, and possibly a starter by mid season. He's too great of a talent that is making too much money to be setting the sideline for long. Not saying he was right in how he handled all of this at all though. He should have been in camp day 1. And he still has to prove himself, which I think they'll give him the chance to do quickly. It's also a chance for him to fall flat on his face to.
He's not playing QB ya know. All he has to do is learn a couple plays to get in the game a few times. You have to be a great athlete to play WR in the NFL, but obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just look around the league a little for lots of evidence of that. 89 for the Bengils comes to mind first, but there are plenty others.

Emerson1
10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I see him crying about not getting the ball enough by week 10. Remember he is used to getting it 20 times a game at Tech.

Old Tiger
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
:confused: Are you serious? I bet he sees the field within 2 weeks, and possibly a starter by mid season. He's too great of a talent that is making too much money to be setting the sideline for long. Not saying he was right in how he handled all of this at all though. He should have been in camp day 1. And he still has to prove himself, which I think they'll give him the chance to do quickly. It's also a chance for him to fall flat on his face to.
He's not playing QB ya know. All he has to do is learn a couple plays to get in the game a few times. You have to be a great athlete to play WR in the NFL, but obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just look around the league a little for lots of evidence of that. 89 for the Bengils comes to mind first, but there are plenty others. the adjustment from college to NFL for WR is a 2-3 year process. He hasn't been to any training camps and doesn't know the playbook. I'm willing to bet he will have trouble learning an NFL playbook from the passing routes to the blocking scheme due to the lack of depth in the Texas Tech playbook.

Eagle 1
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.

Your :crazy1:

BreckTxLonghorn
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
the adjustment from college to NFL for WR is a 2-3 year process. He hasn't been to any training camps and doesn't know the playbook. I'm willing to bet he will have trouble learning an NFL playbook from the passing routes to the blocking scheme due to the lack of depth in the Texas Tech playbook.

The first few weeks all he'll need to know are plays like these.

Pro Right Open Gun, Jet X shimmy 28 force read up. Crab wide right go deep.

Jumb Left Open 48 fake Y stay back scoop. Crab wide left quick slant in.

Open Spread Gun M Strong 56 counter draw. Crab slot left block CB.

STANG RED
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
the adjustment from college to NFL for WR is a 2-3 year process. He hasn't been to any training camps and doesn't know the playbook. I'm willing to bet he will have trouble learning an NFL playbook from the passing routes to the blocking scheme due to the lack of depth in the Texas Tech playbook.

But he doesnt have to know the whole play book (which he's probably had since day 1), to get into the game. Dont be surprised to see him in the next game, on 3rd and long, in a 3 or 4 wideout set. If he just knows what to do on that one play, he can have an impact. Even if its just occupying a DB as a decoy.
To say he wont see the field this season is goofy. Heck they may even put him in as a kick returner. Dont need a lot knowledge for that.

zebrablue2
10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
the cry baby finally signed-LOL. guess he saw them winning and decided to ride the ship. who knows what goes on in a mind like his?$$$$$$$$$$. hope he is happy?:D

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
While Crabtree will of course see the field this year I agree that he will not have much of an impact. Only a very small % of rookie WRs truly have an impact and even alot of them do it thru the return game first which Crabtree will not be apart of.

He will of course turn out to be a special WR but I agree THIS YEAR he will be a non-factor in regards to SF season

IrishTex
10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While Crabtree will of course see the field this year I agree that he will not have much of an impact. Only a very small % of rookie WRs truly have an impact and even alot of them do it thru the return game first which Crabtree will not be apart of.

He will of course turn out to be a special WR but I agree THIS YEAR he will be a non-factor in regards to SF season

You may be right Txbroadcaster...but i think he may end up as a special player this year...Why?

Because I think the Niners make the playoffs, and Crabtree may develop into something special for them this year...
I think he must feel like he needs to double-hustle to make up for lost time..

I am predicting he's hungry for success...and he will be a good, stand-out reciever for the Niners this year..

Put it another way...
If you thought the niners were good before today, they are great now.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
You may be right Txbroadcaster...but i think he may end up as a special player this year...Why?

Because I think the Niners make the playoffs, and Crabtree may develop into something special for them this year...
I think he must feel like he needs to double-hustle to make up for lost time..

I am predicting he's hungry for success...and he will be a good, stand-out reciever for the Niners this year..

Put it another way...
If you thought the niners were good before today, they are great now.

again his struggle is not about his talent or desire it is because for WRs the jump to the NFL is at least the 2nd toughest adjustment and some say it is even tougher now for WRs than QBs to not only grasp the game, but flourish in it. Take the fact that he was not in training camp,and has not been with the team.

Also he is not a pure speed guy, so it is not like they can just throw him out there and say run a vertical.the fact his strength will be running the inside routes, he has to learn the nuances of running those routes and how to run them against certain coverages and all that fun stuff.

IrishTex
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
again his struggle is not about his talent or desire it is because for WRs the jump to the NFL is at least the 2nd toughest adjustment and some say it is even tougher now for WRs than QBs to not only grasp the game, but flourish in it. Take the fact that he was not in training camp,and has not been with the team.

Also he is not a pure speed guy, so it is not like they can just throw him out there and say run a vertical.the fact his strength will be running the inside routes, he has to learn the nuances of running those routes and how to run them against certain coverages and all that fun stuff.

His strength is running great routes... I feel like that will carry over to the pros...if the QB knows where he is supposed to be, that's more than half the battle.

:)

lakers
10-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Finally....whew.

STANG RED
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
ProFootballTalk.com is reporting that Crabtree signed a six-year deal with the 49ers, with $32 million in base salary, $17 million guaranteed, and some incentives on top of that. That's right about in line with what anyone picked 10th overall could've expected, so really, all Crabtree accomplished with his holdout was wasting a year of his career. Way to think it through, buddy.

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
ProFootballTalk.com is reporting that Crabtree signed a six-year deal with the 49ers, with $32 million in base salary, $17 million guaranteed, and some incentives on top of that. That's right about in line with what anyone picked 10th overall could've expected, so really, all Crabtree accomplished with his holdout was wasting a year of his career. Way to think it through, buddy. Got a extra mil outta that deal!

Dogman_1969
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I think he will not be much of a factor this season. The pro game is so much different and he will struggle. Anyone can run a go route but he will struggle with the timing and QB knowing where he is.

Old Tiger
10-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Crabtree can't run a go route like Randy Moss.

The last NFL rookie WR to have in impact in his first year was Marcus Colston

RMAC
10-08-2009, 12:48 AM

Didn't Larry Fitzgerald have a decent rookie year?

Move The Chains
10-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
Didn't Larry Fitzgerald have a decent rookie year? Yea, but Colston was more recent I think.

Eagle 1
10-08-2009, 09:10 AM
The two best things that Crabtree brings to the table is the fact that he can get open and he can catch the ball.
Most people nowadays tend to forget that and look more at the speed of a receiver.
While agree you need speed at the wide receiver position, but the first and foremost they need to be able to catch the ball and not have so many dropped passes, ie Terrell Owens.
Another thing to remember is that Crabtree did come from a passing offense, which will help him make quick adjustments in the NFL.
Before so many are quick to judge him now, why dont we have this conversation in about 7-8 weeks from now and see how he is doing in the NFL?

BreckTxLonghorn
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Wow....3 whole years ago. And that's saying Calvin Johnson didn't have an impact in 2007.

A stud WR can make an immediate impact. See...

2003 - Anquan Boldin
2004 - Roy Williams (say what you want now, but he had no second WR on weak Lions team, and still had 800 yds and 8 tds as a rook)
2004 - Larry Fitzgerald
2006 - Marques Colston (who was originally drafted as a TE, mind you)
2007 - Calvin Johnson

I think it's too early to say Trabtree will or won't make an impact, but to say a WR can't as a rookie and hasn't recently just isn't true.

IrishTex
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Wow....3 whole years ago. And that's saying Calvin Johnson didn't have an impact in 2007.

2003 - Anquan Boldin
2004 - Roy Williams (say what you want now, but he had no second WR on weak Lions team, and still had 800 yds and 8 tds as a rook)
2004 - Larry Fitzgerald
2007 - Calvin Johnson

I think it's too early to say Trabtree will or won't make an impact, but to say a WR can't as a rookie and hasn't recently just isn't true.

I have a question about Crabtree.
Why do people call him Trabtree? Where did that name come from and what does it imply?

BreckTxLonghorn
10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I have a question about Crabtree.
Why do people call him Trabtree? Where did that name come from and what does it imply?

No negative implications at all; it's more of a dig at Deion Sanders, who while doing the NFL network draft coverage called him that, and it kinda got viral. To me, what makes it is he says it right the first time and butchers it the second.

Go here, it's just funny:
http://www.theunticket.com/deion-sanders-oh-a-phong-is-ringing/

IrishTex
10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
No negative implications at all; it's more of a dig at Deion Sanders, who while doing the NFL network draft coverage called him that, and it kinda got viral. To me, what makes it is he says it right the first time and butchers it the second.

Go here, it's just funny:
http://www.theunticket.com/deion-sanders-oh-a-phong-is-ringing/

That was funny. Thanks for the link and the explanation. Appreciate it.

Old Tiger
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM

2003 - Anquan Boldin
2004 - Larry Fitzgerald
2007 - Calvin Johnson

I think it's too early to say Trabtree will or won't make an impact, but to say a WR can't as a rookie and hasn't recently just isn't true. I'd say you are reaching on Larry, Calvin, and Roy. Neither of them cracked 1,000 yards receiving and Larry and Roy had 8 touchdowns their rookie year while Calvin had only 4.

turbostud
10-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Hammer Time took care of the deal. Late night talk show hosts will have fun with this one.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Crabtree-finally-signs-with-49ers-thanks-to-M-C?urn=nfl,194474)

BreckTxLonghorn
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd say you are reaching on Larry, Calvin, and Roy. Neither of them cracked 1,000 yards receiving and Larry and Roy had 8 touchdowns their rookie year while Calvin had only 4.

Larry and Roy both led their teams in receptions, yards, and TDs their rookie year. Larry also led his team in avg yards per catch, and Roy was third on the team (though second if you factor in the 'leader' in yds/catch that year had 3 receptions). Hard to say that didn't make an impact.

And you're right on Calvin in that I have no statistical points for him other than leading the team in yds/ catch. That was more on memory and remembering teams having to account for him. I think Kitna threw for something like 4000 yds that year.

So all in all, I'm reaching on Calvin Johnson, which if he's my reach of all those names, I'll take it.