PDA

View Full Version : No JV for West?

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Whats up with West not having a JV? I have never heard of a 3a school not being able to field a jv team. maybe i'm wrong

zebrablue2
10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Whats up with West not having a JV? I have never heard of a 3a school not being able to field a jv team. maybe i'm wrong

wharton only had 14 kids last thursday. they are in danger of not having one by yrs end....

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Ingram doesn't, which is why we're playing the 'Ville.

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I think grades got them but I don't know for sure. Thats my best guess since grades came out this week

LE Dad
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
It does happen. I hate to see it because the coaches have to scramble to find a game or let the JV miss a game and valuable experience.:cool:

87 TIGER
10-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Why not just let the freshman move up and play all the jv teams and go without a freshman team?

trojan37
10-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Why not just let the freshman move up and play all the jv teams and go without a freshman team?

They opted out of that scenario. A lot of people asked that very question. West had about 44 come out for the freshman team this year, and only about 16 on j.v. Instead of moving freshmen up to fill out the j.v. team, they opted for 2 freshmen teams and moved the j.v. players to varsity.

GrTigers6
10-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
They opted out of that scenario. A lot of people asked that very question. West had about 44 come out for the freshman team this year, and only about 16 on j.v. Instead of moving freshmen up to fill out the j.v. team, they opted for 2 freshmen teams and moved the j.v. players to varsity. Thats a good decision. I had heard that they moved them down to a freshman team and I thought that wasn't right. It actually works for us better because we are now playing Mason in stephenville. I was just curious about the situation. You cant believe everything my 10th grader says so I thought I would ask.

87 TIGER
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
ok, Doesnt make sense to me . How many 3a schools have 2 freshman teams? not many. Seams like they would all get more playing time if you move up your better frosh to the jv and have a freshman, jv and varsity.

booger
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I have no cat in the fight but....

Would you want your 9th grader playing against a jr on jv? Age, strength and experience would scare a lot of kids off I think if they did that. Sounds like they are trying to build for the future and not sell the farm for right now.

kaorder1999
10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
keep your freshman together and play agaisnt freshman and then move up the jv kids to varsity if you do not have enough to field a JV

rolltider
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by booger
I have no cat in the fight but....

Would you want your 9th grader playing against a jr on jv? Age, strength and experience would scare a lot of kids off I think if they did that. Sounds like they are trying to build for the future and not sell the farm for right now.

Your kidding right there are freshman on Varsity at all levels. Some juniors are the same age as sophomores or freshman in some districts they will get better playing JV. Freshman football is barely a step over middle school. You are missing an opportunity to build a better program in the future by skipping JV experience for future Varsity players.

87 TIGER
10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm going by what Trojan37 said they opted for"2" freshman teams. Take the cream of the crop freshman with a few of the jv that shouldnt move up and form a jv, not 2 freshman teams. Who does the other freshman team play or do they alternate weeks, or what?

GrTigers6
10-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
I'm going by what Trojan37 said they opted for"2" freshman teams. Take the cream of the crop freshman with a few of the jv that shouldnt move up and form a jv, not 2 freshman teams. Who does the other freshman team play or do they alternate weeks, or what? We have two freshman teams and a jv

Global Swarming
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Who are those 2 freshman teams going to play? Are they going to scrimmage each other every thursday night? How many other schools have 2 freshman teams. Just move some of them up to make a jv team. Look how Bryan Rudder was last year with freshmen and sophs making up the varsity team. If those kids are scared to play against jv kids then they're in the wrong sport and you probably don't want them on your varsity team either.

GrTigers6
10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Who are those 2 freshman teams going to play? Are they going to scrimmage each other every thursday night? How many other schools have 2 freshman teams. Just move some of them up to make a jv team. Look how Bryan Rudder was last year with freshmen and sophs making up the varsity team. If those kids are scared to play against jv kids then they're in the wrong sport and you probably don't want them on your varsity team either. Our Freshman have had two games every week. the Boyd game one team played boyd and the other played burleson. Then the other team i think was mineral wells the other team played meridian. This week they are playing Stephenville and west however I don't understand that if west has two teams

Matthew328
10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I think West is doing the right thing here, only a select few freshman are physcially and mentally ready to play JV football...by putting a lot of them on the JV you are subjecting them to a lot of losing and a lot of kids possibly giving football up...keeping them as freshman on a freshman team is probably best.

They had 16 kids on JV, they'd probably need to move at least a dozen freshman to JV to field a team and I bet the coach didn't feel like he had a dozen freshman ready to play JV so he opted against it

Matthew328
10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Ingram doesn't, which is why we're playing the 'Ville.

LHPM, you guys are playing Ville's sophomore team...Stephenville JV is playing Joshua...just a heads up

SHSBulldog00
10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
In Sweeny, we have a freshman team a J.V. (Soph only) and Varsity. But I'm not certain now since the season has begun.

trojan37
10-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Who are those 2 freshman teams going to play? Are they going to scrimmage each other every thursday night? How many other schools have 2 freshman teams. Just move some of them up to make a jv team. Look how Bryan Rudder was last year with freshmen and sophs making up the varsity team. If those kids are scared to play against jv kids then they're in the wrong sport and you probably don't want them on your varsity team either.

Here are the varsity and 2 freshmen schedules:

West football schedules (http://www.westisd.net/footballsched.html)

Rabid Cougar
10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I think West is doing the right thing here, only a select few freshman are physcially and mentally ready to play JV football...by putting a lot of them on the JV you are subjecting them to a lot of losing and a lot of kids possibly giving football up...keeping them as freshman on a freshman team is probably best.

They had 16 kids on JV, they'd probably need to move at least a dozen freshman to JV to field a team and I bet the coach didn't feel like he had a dozen freshman ready to play JV so he opted against it

It is not the first time they have done it.

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
LHPM, you guys are playing Ville's sophomore team...Stephenville JV is playing Joshua...just a heads up
Yeah, I found that out from # 3 son after I posted.

trojan37
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
It is not the first time they have done it.

It's not the first time they've done what?