PDA

View Full Version : If TO were still a Cowboy

Old Tiger
10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Crayton questions play-calling
By
Tom Orsborn
on Oct 5, 09 06:03 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

IRVING - Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton said the offense should have gone into grind-it-out mode after jumping out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter of Sunday's 17-10 loss to Denver.

"We've got five freaks of nature up front that are calling for us to run the ball," Crayton said. "You would think you'd listen to those guys...We blew them out of the water to start the game off, don't deviate away from that...We've got to grind it out. We've got three backs. We didn't have Felix (Jones), but we had Marion and we had Tashard (Choice), and the last time I checked those guys can run the ball between the tackles."

A full-time commitment to the run would also help Romo, Crayton said.

"A lot of people are going to keep putting it on Romo and it's not Romo's fault," Crayton said. "Take the ball out of his hands sometimes and don't put it all on him. He's either going to be the savior or the scapegoat and I'm tired of him being the scapegoat. You guys keep putting that on him and to me, you've got five guys up front, let Romo turn around and hand it off sometimes so he doesn't have that pressure on him."

Odd how many people would rip TO for saying this but Crayton says it and it slides under the radar.

TheDOCTORdre
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Odd how many people would rip TO for saying this but Crayton says it and it slides under the radar.

TO wouldnt have said this, he would have said they needed to throw it more to him and would have proceeded to blame this loss on everybody but him

Maroon87
10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
TO wouldnt have said this, he would have said they needed to throw it more to him and would have proceeded to blame this loss on everybody but him

:iagree:

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 12:17 PM
TO got a bad-wrap in Dallas... if he blows up at Tony Tomo after every drive and airs out everything in the media: damned! If he goes to Tony Romo in the locker room and tells him he maybe needs to spread the ball around more: damned! if he goes to the coach in secret with fellow players instead of blowing up etc..., as we saw: damned!

TO could give a large amount of money to a battered-women's shelter and ESPN and Rome would ride his ass 'cos it didn't go to Cancer research... damned if he do damned if he don't... his career in Dallas was written before the ink dried on his contract: Damned!

blowfish
10-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
TO got a bad-wrap in Dallas... if he blows up at Tony Tomo after every drive and airs out everything in the media: damned! If he goes to Tony Romo in the locker room and tells him he maybe needs to spread the ball around more: damned! if he goes to the coach in secret with fellow players instead of blowing up etc..., as we saw: damned!

TO could give a large amount of money to a battered-women's shelter and ESPN and Rome would ride his ass 'cos it didn't go to Cancer research... damned if he do damned if he don't... his career in Dallas was written before the ink dried on his contract: Damned!

:clap: :clap: :iagree: :clap: :clap:

scrub c
10-06-2009, 12:27 PM
true...true

Maroon87
10-06-2009, 12:45 PM

True...but that's a bed he made himself.

coach
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
if TO was still in dallas...they would be 4-0

Gobbla2001
Originally posted by Maroon87

well, there's no doubt he made a bed, a pretty sloppy bed... but when the dude went out and made a nicer one, with some clean sheets and that cool sleep-number thingy he tried to wake up on the right side of it... but some folks went back to the dump, grabbed the old bed and started talking about how TO still slept in it... when infact he was sleeping in a completely different bed... with atleast a hottie or two I'm sure :D

Daddy D 11
Sounds to me like someone is blaming the loss on Jason Garrett. I've been screaming all the year that the Cowboys should strongly commit themselves to the run! Arguably, they have THREE NFL starting caliber running backs! I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that maybe, just maybe we should take the ball outta bozo the clowns hands and put the ball on ground.

SHSBulldog00
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
If TO was still in Dallas..... I would be doing better in my fantasy league. He would have more receptions.

95mustang
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Sounds to me like someone is blaming the loss on Jason Garrett.

Which is where it should lie. Romo was taking a beating during the game. The Denver secondary was covering the Dallas receivers extremely well, which lead to coverage sacks when the line didn't break down. If they would hand the ball off more this could have been prevented.

Daddy D 11
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Which is where it should lie. Romo was taking a beating during the game. The Denver secondary was covering the Dallas receivers extremely well, which lead to coverage sacks when the line didn't break down. If they would hand the ball off more this could have been prevented.

I agree.

Ex-Tiger2005
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM

I second this! I think if we still had TO we would be 4-0 and he would be a top 5 REC. thats just my opinion!!!

Daddy D 11
10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
I second this! I think if we still had TO we would be 4-0 and he would be a top 5 REC. thats just my opinion!!!

I don't care who we have lined up at WR, if Romo can't hit the broad side of a barn... TO ain't catching nothing.

Ask Roy Williams how accurate Tony Romo is.

coach
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
ask tony how ovverrated roy is

Daddy D 11
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by coach
ask tony how ovverrated roy is

That wasn't part of what I was saying but okay. Overrated or not, he was still left out to dry.

And yes, I think he is way overrated.

95mustang
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Ask Roy Williams how accurate Tony Romo is.

You might have to wait till he finally gets his breath back after the hit he took to the gut on Sunday. He is still probably having a hard time taking a breath.

coach
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
besides tony is one of the most accurate passers in the league...any coach or nfl analysist will tell you that

Daddy D 11
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
besides tony is one of the most accurate passers in the league...any coach or nfl analysist will tell you that

:lies:

Super_R
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM

He wasn't the most accurate passer on Sunday...any coach or nfl analysist will tell you that.

Trashman
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
If TO were still a Cowboy........the cows would still be 2-2 but with much more back stabbing going on in the locker room.:rolleyes:

Macarthur
10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Guys, TO is not a top WR anymore. They would be in exactly the same position with him this season. The only difference is we would have the media baiting him everyday to throw someone under the bus, which he would do.

TO is washed up! He was washed up his last season and a half here.

Go back and look at his numbers in his last 14-16 games with Dallas. Terrible.

Emerson1
10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Guys, TO is not a top WR anymore. They would be in exactly the same position with him this season. The only difference is we would have the media baiting him everyday to throw someone under the bus, which he would do.

TO is washed up! He was washed up his last season and a half here.

Go back and look at his numbers in his last 14-16 games with Dallas. Terrible.
You are wrong. It's so obvious TO is the best in the game right now look at all the yards and touchdowns he has in buffalo......

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
If TO were still a Cowboy........the cows would still be 2-2 but with much more back stabbing going on in the locker room.:rolleyes: :iagree:
And would lead the league in dropped passes. T.O. is a Virus to any team he is a part of. Because he thinks he is the best ever and he is far from it. Yes at one time he was one of the best. but not the best. His second year here he was an asset but that was it. How many catches did he have last week? 0

BobcatBenny
10-06-2009, 05:27 PM
But ... his big mouth would have reminded Tony Romo what down it was!

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
But ... his big mouth would have reminded Tony Romo what down it was! :2thumbsup :fnypost:

wtfootball
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
If TO were still a cowboys, we would be 4-0, but the locker room just wouldn't be the same. After all what is important is making ROHO feel good.

Emerson1
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
If TO were still a cowboys, we would be 4-0, but the locker room just wouldn't be the same. After all what is important is making ROHO feel good.
If Romo is so terrible why would it matter who is on the field if he is so sucky he can't hit the receiver. You act as if TO can go up and catch a jump ball.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 06:54 PM
if TO were still a cowboy you would have had one more receiver for the defense to worry about defending down on the goal-line...

sinton66
10-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Probably, but the story in the ink was written by TO himself in several places before he got to Dallas, no?

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 07:22 PM
if TO was still in dallas...they would be 4-0

I agree. He had way too much production to be cut for just attitude problems. These so called problems seem like something blown out of proportion to me.

If you watch TO's reality show you'll see he's not that bad of a person. You can also tell he doesn't put up an act on that show either.

So...these "problems" are only due to the lack of leadership from a coaching perspective. Part of being a coach is trying to make the puzzle pieces fit together. A bad attitude is just one of those pieces. An easy thing to do is throw that piece away and try to find a new one to fit...but as we all have seen this year, each piece is unique in it's own way.

coach
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
just look at brandon marshall...you could argue his attitude is worse and th broncos hung on to him and look what he did...he went out and beat us

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Probably, but the story in the ink was written by TO himself in several places before he got to Dallas, no?

there's no doubt that two stops before Dallas TO was a trouble maker... but while in Dallas, which his time there is all that should have mattered, TO wasn't the bad guy he had been in the past... every single thing he did was blown up into something bad (damned if he do, damned if he don't!)...

It's funny, the Cowboys fans on here the last few years were defending TO... the ones on here this year (some the same) are now trying to make him seem bad...

I think it's easier to talk smack about how 'bad' TO was in Dallas last year then how crappy things are in Dallas right now period...

TO might not have been a huge difference maker this year for the Cowboys, but he sure as hell wasn't a REAL problem the last few years by himself... the media may have made it seem that way but the problem continues, Romo lacks in the big games and that's the single thing that's been keeping the Cowboys down...

sinton66
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Okay, but by the same logic, Romo wasn't that bad when T.O. was here. T.O. certainly wasn't making "circus catches" on very poorly thrown balls by Romo. About half the time Romo threw to T.O., he dropped them even if they hit him in the hands.

I will certainly agree with his touchdown production, but when a WR drops as many passes as he catches, I don't see him being that much help. (WR's are SUPPOSED to catch touchdowns and get first downs to keep the chains moving)T.O. being gone this year is not what got Romo into the mode he now finds himself in. Will he pull himself out of it? Only time will tell and depending on Jerry's "patience".

I remember watching the Cowboys back when they drafted Staubach. Heisman trophy winning QB from Navy. His first three years as the starter were hit or miss even though he had great talent around him. When he was good, he was great. When he was off, he was horrible. Eventually, he adjusted and became one of the legends of the game. CAN Romo do it? Who knows? I sure don't.

I'm also not all that sure that last play call Sunday was Garrett's. Even the announcers were saying Romo was calling the play at the line after spiking to kill the clock. We have no way of knowing it wasn't an audible unless Romo or Garrett says it.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
TO for sure dropped a lot of easy catches... not saying he didn't... my beef mostly is with people still hating on TO when he was obviously not the problem...

sinton66
10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
He definitely wasn't the ONLY problem for sure. Obviously, he doesn't have anything to do with THIS year's problems.

Emerson1
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM

I will certainly agree with his touchdown production, but when a WR drops as many passes as he catches, I don't see him being that much help. (WR's are SUPPOSED to catch touchdowns and get first downs to keep the chains moving)
Of the top 20 in receiving yardage last year, TO was the only one to not have 40 first down receptions. His average came to about 2 catches for first downs per game.

Oh and TO is 129th in the league in Receptions right now and has only 5 catches for 1st downs. Roy Williams has 9.

Last season Roy Williams had 36 catches, 26 of them for first downs = 72%
TO had 69 catches and only 38 for 1stD = 55%

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
TO never did have a problem with dropping passes before Romo

He was a solid receiver for both the Eagles and the 49ers. And I remember watching that game where he caught the game winning pass from Steve Young to eliminate the Packers in the playoffs...it's one of the best catches ever made in NFL history.

Look at all the drops from Romo this year...Preseason and the 1st 4 games. I know it doesn't make sense, but sometimes QB just can't put the ball where it's easy to catch???

It's obvious that Trent Edwards like Evans more than TO, but let's give that relationship some time and we might see TO in the 2009 Pro Bowl.

zebrablue2
10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

:iagree:

sinton66
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

He was a solid receiver for both the Eagles and the 49ers. And I remember watching that game where he caught the game winning pass from Steve Young to eliminate the Packers in the playoffs...it's one of the best catches ever made in NFL history.

Look at all the drops from Romo this year...Preseason and the 1st 4 games. I know it doesn't make sense, but sometimes QB just can't put the ball where it's easy to catch???

It's obvious that Trent Edwards like Evans more than TO, but let's give that relationship some time and we might see TO in the 2009 Pro Bowl.

I seem to remember him dropping passes at SF. Seems like every game of theirs I watched he was dropping at least a couple. They were hitting him in the hands there too. I'm not saying he was horrible, but he dang sure wasn't no Jerry Rice.

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM

It's obvious that Trent Edwards like Evans more than TO, but let's give that relationship some time and we might see TO in the 2009 Pro Bowl. He has led the leaguein drops since when he played for the eagles so dont say its romo passing. its T.O. cant make the easy catch but is one of the best at making the most difficult catch. and then finding his way to the endzone.
And on romo, think about the giants playoff game two years ago. If crayton had caught that 3rd down pass right in his hands then he would still be running and dallas would have won that game. So yes he has been great then bad then good then bad. but its not all on him. He needs more protection better play calling and better execution from everyone to make this offense work. No qb can carry a team if they dont execute.

Emerson1
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM

TO has always been known to drop the easy one and make a miracle catch later on.

I am seriously wondering if you watched a single Cowboys game while TO was around. Many many times was the ball placed perfectly and it bounced right off his hands. If they were crappy passes 10 miles above his head he wouldn't be criticized for dropping them. They were not passes he barely tipped, they were in his hands and he dropped them. He has already dropped long bombs from Trent Edwards this season.

sinton66
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
T.O. was a decent WR, but he dang sure ain't the best there is in the league today. IMO, that might arguably be Smith at Carolina or Fitzgerald at Arizona. That's two that come to mind that ADJUST to the ball even if it's poorly thrown and still make the catch. T.O. never once adjusted to a ROMO pass that I ever saw.

GrTigers6
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
T.O. was a decent WR, but he dang sure ain't the best there is in the league today. IMO, that might arguably be Smith at Carolina or Fitzgerald at Arizona. That's two that come to mind that ADJUST to the ball even if it's poorly thrown and still make the catch. T.O. never once adjusted to a ROMO pass that I ever saw. Take away the attitude and Randy Moss could be up there with the rest of them

coach
10-06-2009, 08:31 PM
just to throw out a stat...to and romo had more tds than any other qb wr tandem when to was in dallas...emerson last time i check tds were better than first downs o and how many tds did roy have last year...1...freakin 1

sinton66
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Take away the attitude and Randy Moss could be up there with the rest of them

Agreed, but his is more sheer speed than adjustments to the ball. But, that said, I've seen him make some pretty tough catches over the middle too.

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I seem to remember him dropping passes at SF. Seems like every game of theirs I watched he was dropping at least a couple. They were hitting him in the hands there too. I'm not saying he was horrible, but he dang sure wasn't no Jerry Rice.

Don't forget that game where TO was playing the 2nd WR with Rice on the other side. .... I seem to remember it being Rice's last game. And TO stole the show with setting the record with the most catches in a single game that day.

In the one Super Bowl he played in, he played great, injured too. He could be a Jerry Rice, if Montana or Young were throwing to him....Let's put him with the Colts and see what happens...

You can't put down a guy that has this much production. He is obviously a massively talented individual who has an invisible target on his back from speaking his mind once or twice...

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
just maybe we should take the ball outta bozo the clowns hands
OMG! That cracked me up!!!!! :spitlol: :spitlol:

sinton66
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Don't forget that game where TO was playing the 2nd WR with Rice on the other side. .... I seem to remember it being Rice's last game. And TO stole the show with setting the record with the most catches in a single game that day.

In the one Super Bowl he played in, he played great, injured too. He could be a Jerry Rice, if Montana or Young were throwing to him....Let's put him with the Colts and see what happens...

You can't put down a guy that has this much production. He is obviously a massively talented individual who has an invisible target on his back from speaking his mind once or twice...

Who was SF playing? I actually never really cared a whole lot when he opened his mouth. However, I was never happy when the Boys had to punt because he dropped one that hit him in the hands. That in my book means lack of production. If it had been Witten, he would have caught it. Rice would have caught it. Heck, Drew Pearson would have caught it.

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
OMG! That cracked me up!!!!! :spitlol: :spitlol:

same here, I wanted to quote that one too, but decided not to

I am still laughing.

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Who was SF playing? I actually never really cared a whole lot when he opened his mouth. However, I was never happy when the Boys had to punt because he dropped one that hit him in the hands. That in my book means lack of production. If it had been Witten, he would have caught it. Rice would have caught it. Heck, Drew Pearson would have caught it.

They were playing the Raiders and I think they shut them out too.

TO had like 20+ catches and over 250+ yards REC.

The guy is great...he just isn't trophy'd like other stars. He has had an amazing career.....but damn he pisses way too many people off to be liked.

sinton66
10-06-2009, 09:13 PM
As in the case of Jerry Rice, "greatness" is achieved in the NFL by making the catch when it counts. I won't argue that T.O.s not good, he is. I just never felt he was a "clutch" receiver any where he played. Could be just my opinion, but there it is.

Emerson1
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
emerson last time i check tds were better than first downs o and how many tds did roy have last year...1...freakin 1
That can be heavily debated. You have to be able to extend drives and get in position to score.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns/year/2008

It is a coincidence that Wayne, Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Gonzalez are at the top of the list? There are some stinkers on the list, but for the most part the top of the list is made up of elite receivers.

SintonFan
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

quote:Crayton questions play-calling
By
Tom Orsborn
on Oct 5, 09 06:03 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

IRVING - Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton said the offense should have gone into grind-it-out mode after jumping out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter of Sunday's 17-10 loss to Denver.

"We've got five freaks of nature up front that are calling for us to run the ball," Crayton said. "You would think you'd listen to those guys...We blew them out of the water to start the game off, don't deviate away from that...We've got to grind it out. We've got three backs. We didn't have Felix (Jones), but we had Marion and we had Tashard (Choice), and the last time I checked those guys can run the ball between the tackles."

A full-time commitment to the run would also help Romo, Crayton said.

"A lot of people are going to keep putting it on Romo and it's not Romo's fault," Crayton said. "Take the ball out of his hands sometimes and don't put it all on him. He's either going to be the savior or the scapegoat and I'm tired of him being the scapegoat. You guys keep putting that on him and to me, you've got five guys up front, let Romo turn around and hand it off sometimes so he doesn't have that pressure on him."

Did any of you read what Crayton actually said???
He wanted the Cowboys to RUN MORE!!!! It was working.
TO would never had said something like that.:D :eek:

skins4life
10-06-2009, 10:29 PM
just to throw out a stat...to and romo had more tds than any other qb wr tandem when to was in dallas...emerson last time i check tds were better than first downs o and how many tds did roy have last year...1...freakin 1

Does that include Manning and Wayne??

coach
10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
Does that include Manning and Wayne??

yes it does

coach
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That can be heavily debated. You have to be able to extend drives and get in position to score.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns/year/2008

It is a coincidence that Wayne, Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Gonzalez are at the top of the list? There are some stinkers on the list, but for the most part the top of the list is made up of elite receivers.

i see what you are saying and you are rigt but id rather have to than roy...to is one of the most dynamic plaerys to ever play the game

SintonFan
10-06-2009, 10:47 PM
i see what you are saying and you are rigt but id rather have to than roy...to is one of the most dianamic plaerys to ever play the game

dianamic=dynamic=changing :D
Yes TO brought change... anyone have some change? Can I get some change for the bus?:p

Please someone tell me if TO would have actually basically said, "Run more!" or would he have cried after a loss and said, "Gimme the Ball more!";)

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Romo and TO were great early on.

However, look up his last 14-15 games in Dallas. If you take out the SF game, in which SF just decided to not cover him, he averaged 4 catches and just under 50 yards per game. Look it up.

TO has been in decline for some time; I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand. I'm not a TO hater; he just isn't nearly as good as he used to be.

As for the personal stuff, that's why TO is such and enigma. He's a great guy in the community, but he is absolute poison in a lockerroom. It has happened everywhere he's gone. I wanted to think it would be different in Dallas, but it wasn't. You must face reality.

pirate4state
10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I haven't read this entire thread, but if TO were still a Cowboy at least I'd have something GOOD to look at! :D :inlove: :D

garciap77
10-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I haven't read this entire thread, but if TO were still a Cowboy at least I'd have something GOOD to look at! :D :inlove: :D

I thought you were going to say this:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/Nh80Y5H0hEEX20LN

:)

XtremeCouture
10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
yEah it's to bad 60 yard td receptions don't count as 6 first downs for TO if u really want to throw that stat around. Btw since u probably don't know td receptions count for 0 first downs

pirate4state
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I thought you were going to say this:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/Nh80Y5H0hEEX20LN

:)

LOL

OldBison75
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
If TO were still a Cowboy, we would be hearing two receivers griping and crying about everything, and the record would not be any better. Michael Irvin and Jay Novachek can't work miracles when the QB can't get the ball close to them.

My suggestion is to go out and get two slow recivers that are 7'4" tall. Maybe then Romo can't throw behind or over them.

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Tony Romo has a higher career completion percentage than QBs like Philip Rivers, Brett Favre, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady.

But he's had two bad games in a row so he obviously sucks and can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass, so let's cut him or go with the kid from A&M who most likely won't be on an NFL roster in three years.

Typical Cowboys "fans" overreaction...

OldBison75
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, his completion percentage is better than some, but, it's the stupid mistakes that burn my butt. Can't win the big one and sure can't lead on the field. I have heard every excuse in the world for why he just can't get it done and none hold water. Romo is and was a flash in the pan and simebody turned off the burner. Over the last couple of years the heat has finally cooled off, progressively, and now he is just another QB hoping to have a big game, not expecting it.

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Tony Romo has now started in the NFL for the equivalent of three full NFL seasons. He started in the fifth game of his first season, and he's now played 4 games in his fourth. So over the course of those three seasons, he has 85 passing touchdowns, 50 INT and 4 lost fumbles with a 63.1% completion percentage while averaging 8.0 yards per attempt. He is 0-2 in playoff games, bringing the "he can't win a big game" title.

Through Peyton Manning's first three seasons, he had 85 passing touchdowns, 58 INT and 3 lost fumbles with a 60.4% completion percentage while averaging 7.3 yards per attempt. Manning was 0-4 before winning his first playoff game and eliminating the "he can't win a big game" title.

No matter how you slice it, Tony Romo has been better to this point in his career than Peyton Manning was at the same point in his career. Although Indianapolis wasn't a good "team" during Manning's first years, he did have Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, and Marvin Harrison during that time, so it's not like Manning was playing with obviously inferior talent to get the ball to.

Now, Tony Romo was obviously a little older than Manning and had a couple of years experience in the league before starting, but for a guy coming out of a "directional" school, I'd say that Peyton Manning starting throughout his college career at a powerhouse like Tennessee is not that much worse preparation than what Romo got directing as an undrafted free agent whose career experience amounted to a five-man practice squad in the NFL for a couple of years.

Will Tony Romo eventually become better than Peyton Manning? I highly doubt it. But let's not rush to judgment and about his abilities and cast him off as a "flash in the pan" when we've seen future Hall of Famers start their careers in a worse fashion.

Naysayers have their opinions, but I have facts. Discussion over.

themsu97
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Hold on there Tex... I see you are trying to do a good comparison but comparing Romo to Manning is comparing apples to oranges... try a more apples to apples...

how about Kurt Warner?

Romo is still behind... and that is a FACT

themsu97
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
the problem with the Cowboys is in the owners box... he needs to shut up and sit down... just sign the checks and watch his team win from the box...

OldBison75
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Nobody is arguling the atats you have put up, but like anything else, stats are sometimes deceiving. A QB in professional football has to be a leader that is respected by his team. He has to be a field general and leader. Romo is not. Yes, he has lost only a few fumbles, but he has fumbled a bunch more that stopped drive after being recovered by the Cowboys. Granted, he has not had the greatest rushing game in the two previous years, but when the chips were down, he failed the tests.

I make one concession, Romo is the type guy that can spark a team when he comes in off the bench or as a backup, but he is not the kind of QB that can take Dallas to a Championship. That takes leadership, determination, and good decision making. None of which I have seen from him.

And, for all that place the blame on the Cowboy coaches and system, they aren't on the field making the plays. Romo is supposed to be and he is not getting it done. Nobody hates Phillips more than me, but I don't think Romo would be a winner in any coach's system.

themsu97
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
good point Bison... the cowboys may have a Danny White instead of a Staubach...

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Hold on there Tex... I see you are trying to do a good comparison but comparing Romo to Manning is comparing apples to oranges... try a more apples to apples...

how about Kurt Warner?

Romo is still behind... and that is a FACT

Warner had 64 INT and 4 lost fumbles after the 2002 season, at which point he had played in 2 more games than Romo has now. Warner was also on a team for those seasons that was widely regarded as the best overall offense in the NFL. Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt were better targets than anything Romo has had to throw out, and meanwhile, his running back, Marshall Faulk, was setting all-time NFL records for touchdowns by a running back.

So Warner had more turnovers despite far superior talent.

I'm probably the biggest Kurt Warner fan in the state of Texas, and Warner obviously did have the big win that Manning didn't at that point and that Romo still doesn't, but let's not make that the deciding factor. Trent Dilfer has just as many rings as Warner.