PDA

View Full Version : My Take On Tony Romo

Astrosdawg07
10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
After watching Romo today, I'm still sick to my stomach. From the beginning of the game Romo had no idea where the ball was going. Even on his completions his receivers were having to work to make the grab. Romo looks like he has no confidence in not only his abilities but as well as his knowledge of the playbook. Even on the 4th down play from the DAL 20ish it was a poorly thrown ball. I can think of multiple times were he either over threw the receiver by 15 yards or threw the ball about 10 ft high. I truly believe it would do Romo some good to spend a little time on the bench and just sit back and watch. Kitna; grab your helmet!

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Right about now, they could throw McGee to the wolves. He couldn't possibly do much worse. Whatever Romo had that first year at least appears to have evaporated.

injuredinmelee
10-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Right about now, they could throw McGee to the wolves. He couldn't possibly do much worse. Whatever Romo had that first year at least appears to have evaporated.
ditto

piratebg
10-05-2009, 06:25 AM
I have this feeling that JJ is considering dumping Wade Phillips during the bye week and handing over the reigns to Jason Garrett, for at least the rest of this season. If any changes are coming for the Cowboys, this is the only one that I can see happening soon. After this, your guess is as good as mine.

MJMbrahmas10
10-05-2009, 06:33 AM
i cant see him dumping wade cause their defense has been great late at some times anyway.....and i am tired of stickin up for romo in the past he has had high completion percentages and number this year he just fell of a cliff and if playin horrible if not for felix jone i think they might be 1-3, romo is horrible

3afan
10-05-2009, 06:47 AM
anyone who honestly believes the 'boys should replace Romo with Kitna is a football idiot ... or just blowing smoke

sorry ... :p

footballfan65
10-05-2009, 07:32 AM
We need a QB and Kitna isn't the answer. Something has to give!

Looking4number8
10-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
anyone who honestly believes the 'boys should replace Romo with Kitna is a football idiot ... or just blowing smoke

sorry ... :p

+1

I like Romo but he is definitely struggling. I hope he gets it together and lead my cowboys to the promise land.

turbostud
10-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Kyle Orton played better then Romo.
This upcoming draft is going to be stock full of QB's. No reason the Cowboys cant get a QB in this draft. At least give McGee a shot to see what he can do so you have an idea if you need a QB in the draft or not cause Romo isnt getting it done.

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Romo played bad no doubt...But to even think about throwing out McGee to start would mean at 2-2 your basically saying this season is over lets prepare for the future and it is WAY to early to think that at this juncture.

95mustang
10-05-2009, 08:16 AM

I think turning McGee lose to the wolves would not be the best solution. With the way that aging OFFENSIVE line is playing right now he would spend most of his time dodging defensive players. Put Kitna in, he is sued to playing behind a horrible line. He will feel right at home back there.

jockcity33
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Ask Roy Williams and the other receivers that Romo hung out to dry yesterday if they think he needs to be replaced.

pancho villa
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Go Kansas City!

Trench Warrior
10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
How about we go for someone like Jeff Garcia. A better QB than Romo, and we are not killing our new meat without giving him time to develop. I just know that I am sick and tired of watching Romo throw high balls through the middle. I am surprised Williams didn't come down with some broken ribs.

spaniard
10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
all i know is that i was begging to see kitna yesterday. mcgee needs another year to get to the point where he would be ready to start in the nfl, after so long in the crappy franchione offense, a little more time won't hurt. kitna didn't look bad in the preseason this year, but none of that will matter of flozell and gurode continue to use playground tactics and trip everyone. i have a friend who works for the cowboys media production department who was telling me that before romo signed his gaudy contract, he was a normal guy that would goof around and make chit chat in the lunch line during training camp. but now that jerry gave tony the easiest 60 someodd million dollar contract, you don't see the guy. there's no interaction with anyone outside of his payroll people. so much for a qb with a sense of camaraderie

pirate4state
10-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Romo played bad no doubt...But to even think about throwing out McGee to start would mean at 2-2 your basically saying this season is over lets prepare for the future and it is WAY to early to think that at this juncture. I agree and I really don't want to see Kitna under center either. :doh: :(

Sville
10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Dallas' biggest problem on offense is they are slow especially w/o Felix in there.

turbostud
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
All I know is that Romo is not getting the job done. The Cowboys got 3 very winnable games coming up with KC Atlanta and Seattle. They screw those up and its gonna get real ugly. I think 9-7 is the best they will do.

BulletsX
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
It seems to me that we have seen other QB's struggle early on in their career. Eli Manning comes to mind. He seemed to gain the respect of his team and the rest of the NFL. I am not ready to give up on Romo, but he is really testing my loyality to him. The best cure for whatever ailment that you might have in football is winning. Will Romo ever win a Super Bowl? I don't know. Most people would say "No" right now. The Cowboys & Romo could really use a few good performances to get them rolling again. It's a long season.

Move The Chains
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior
How about we go for someone like Jeff Garcia. A better QB than Romo, and we are not killing our new meat without giving him time to develop. I just know that I am sick and tired of watching Romo throw high balls through the middle. I am surprised Williams didn't come down with some broken ribs. Garcia plays for the Eagles. :thinking: :doh:

turbostud
10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by BulletsX
It seems to me that we have seen other QB's struggle early on in their career. Eli Manning comes to mind. He seemed to gain the respect of his team and the rest of the NFL. I am not ready to give up on Romo, but he is really testing my loyality to him. The best cure for whatever ailment that you might have in football is winning. Will Romo ever win a Super Bowl? I don't know. Most people would say "No" right now. The Cowboys & Romo could really use a few good performances to get them rolling again. It's a long season.
The difference is that Eli has a Super Bowl ring. Once you get that you pretty much get a free pass. Perfect example is Brett Favre.

STANG RED
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
No doubt Roma played awful yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. But I honestly didnt see him getting much help either. The cowboy recievers are not doing a good job of getting open. I dont know if their just running bad routes, or if the system just puts them in a bad spot, or exactly what it is. But I know this, you cant just simply blame the whole thing on Romo. The Cowboys have obviously got lots of problems, from the very top to the very bottom.
And here's another thing most seem to be ignoring. Denver seems to be pretty dang good team, and the boys were right there with them till the very end.

Green Bling
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Romo has shown in the past that he has the talent to do the job. Maybe he just needs a really good sports psychologist to help him regain his focus. Wish I could believe he is really committed to the game.

Macarthur
10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
No doubt Roma played awful yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. But I honestly didnt see him getting much help either. The cowboy recievers are not doing a good job of getting open. I dont know if their just running bad routes, or if the system just puts them in a bad spot, or exactly what it is. But I know this, you cant just simply blame the whole thing on Romo. The Cowboys have obviously got lots of problems, from the very top to the very bottom.
And here's another thing most seem to be ignoring. Denver seems to be pretty dang good team, and the boys were right there with them till the very end.

Good points. I think Denver is for real.

As for Romo, I think he messed up in the head. I think he's pressing. I think he's got Garrett in his ear, he's hearing the gunslinger stuff, he's hearing don't throw INTs, hold onto the ball, be a playmaker, etc, etc,....I just think he's messed up in the head.

Look, one of his best skills the last couple of years has been his accuracy. He's missed more open WRs this season that all 3 previous seasons together. There's something here that has nothing to do with his skills; It's between the ears.

Those of you calling for his preplacement need to put down the crack pipe. There are two reasons Romo is going to be our QB:

1. He is simply better than anything else we have.
2. He has a large contract.

You might as well get over that.

coachc45
10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Good points. I think Denver is for real.

As for Romo, I think he messed up in the head. I think he's pressing. I think he's got Garrett in his ear, he's hearing the gunslinger stuff, he's hearing don't throw INTs, hold onto the ball, be a playmaker, etc, etc,....I just think he's messed up in the head.

Look, one of his best skills the last couple of years has been his accuracy. He's missed more open WRs this season that all 3 previous seasons together. There's something here that has nothing to do with his skills; It's between the ears.

Those of you calling for his preplacement need to put down the crack pipe. There are two reasons Romo is going to be our QB:

1. He is simply better than anything else we have.
2. He has a large contract.

You might as well get over that.

I agree.... to add to that, he also has the worst left tackle in america protecting his blind side. It his hard to focus on what is happening downfield, read coverages, and make accurate throws when you are constantly looking over your shoulder knowing that the other team's best rusher is bearing down on you. Give him protection and I bet we see a different Romo.

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Garcia plays for the Eagles. :thinking: :doh:

no he doesn't.

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
IMO, the Cowboys have been a study in mediocrity for the last 12 seasons. This will continue unless Jerry Jones gets a coach who he will allow to make the drastic necessary changes to get out of this rut. I wish they would have hired Mike Singletary, and I am hoping that they are talking with Shanahan. IMO, either man would shake things up for the better.

Romo will not be considered as one of the top NFL QB's until he has some skins on his wall gotten as a result of his play in some big games. Changes around him will have to be made before a definite thumbs up or thumbs down can be given on him.

Macarthur
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
I agree.... to add to that, he also has the worst left tackle in america protecting his blind side. It his hard to focus on what is happening downfield, read coverages, and make accurate throws when you are constantly looking over your shoulder knowing that the other team's best rusher is bearing down on you. Give him protection and I bet we see a different Romo.

Adams was not good yesterday, but he actually had started the season quite good. I do think that's a position that has to be addressed this offseason.

Bullaholic

IMO, the Cowboys have been a study in mediocrity for the last 12 seasons. This will continue unless Jerry Jones gets a coach who he will allow to make the drastic necessary changes to get out of this rut. I wish they would have hired Mike Singletary, and I am hoping that they are talking with Shanahan. IMO, either man would shake things up for the better.

Romo will not be considered as one of the top NFL QB's until he has some skins on his wall gotten as a result of his play in some big games. Changes around him will have to be made before a definite thumbs up or thumbs down can be given on him.

The problem with your point is that JJ brought Parcells in and nothing really changed. JJ basically let Big Bill have full reighn.

Emerson1
10-05-2009, 12:29 PM

That would be completely idiotic and they are basically saying that they are in a rebuilding mode. If they are going to replace Romo it will be with Kitna. Not McGee who is hurt anyways and looked absolutely TERRIBLE in the pre-seson.

Trench Warrior
10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
If I am not mistaken, Garcia was let go by the eagles, and is a free agent again, but I could be wrong. I don't really have a good answer for this situation. Romo is the guy for right now, I just want to know when we are going to stop blaming everyone else and start putting some real heat on the "leader" of that team. I like Romo, he is a good guy, and a pretty good QB, but he has got some confidence issues, and with a Cowboy team that is in obvious need of a confident leader, he cannot or will not fill that role. On pretty much every pass yesterday, if they showed a close-up of his face he looked like his mind was just blown. He is too jumpy, too shaky. I don't know how he is going to gain his confidence. His recievers are not the issues. They are a little slow, but they are open enough for an average QB to put it on the mark.

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Adams was not good yesterday, but he actually had started the season quite good. I do think that's a position that has to be addressed this offseason.

The problem with your point is that JJ brought Parcells in and nothing really changed. JJ basically let Big Bill have full reighn.

And IMO, there was a huge diff between Cowboy Bill and Giant Bill. IMO, Parcells saw a fat paycheck and took it and could have cared less about another Superbowl for the Cowboys. In addition to coaching, Parcells was brought in mainly to put the Cowboys front office and drafting and scouting into order after being the laughing stock of the league.

GreenMachine
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Hire Gruden out of the pressbox... the Cowboys need some fire on the sidelines!!!

GreenMachine
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
...and someone to get in Romo's rear end and not coddle him when he does horribly!

Old Tiger
10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Colt McCoy to Dallas FTW!

CueroGobblers
10-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Tony Romo is capable of getting things done on offense. They threw the ball more during this games than last week. I know that Felix Jones would have taken off some of the pressure but romo cant go it by his self. Defense once again gave up a big play on d just like when Eli Manning was marching down to get his kicker inton field goal range. I'm sticking with Romo nomatter what. He has to get the job done. Kitna is out of the question he cant move around and call auibles as good at Romo! People give the Cowboys a break, if we can when this weekend in Kansas, were going to be fine. Hey look at the defending champs, there 2-2 as well so whats the big deal. You lose some and win some,its going to be fine.

Farmersfan
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I've been saying it for 2 years now. But the Romosexuals just keep hanging on. What I want to know is when Romo, Wade and Jerry will stop talking about "Learning from the mistakes"?????? This is Pro Football. The starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys should have already learned from the mistakes.
I see the biggest problem with this team as being Wade Philips. He once again spoke to the media this morning and mentioned how they "Take what the defense will give them". That's nonsense. A REal football team takes what it wants. If you are willing to "TAKE" only what the defense will give you then you lose because the defense is designed to give up only enough so that they win............... Get it WADE????? Until he stops trying to adjust to them and starts making them adjust to him this team will struggle. He and Garrett were so outcoached yesterday by a rookie head coach that it wasn't even funny. If I were Jerry Jones I would fire Wade today. Make a statement to the team.

DU_stud04
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/confusedbutters.jpg

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
(sung to the tune of Roger Miller's "King of the road")

Romo's for sale or rent....Emerson's pal's only 50 cents... Yall make up the next line;)

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sinton66

Romo's for sale or rent....Emerson's pal's only 50 cents... No pool, no bets....

Move The Chains
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
no he doesn't. Aha. I looked it up, and you are correct. Released on the 29th.

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Romo's for sale or rent....Emerson's pal's only 50 cents... No pool, no bets....

I'd trade for a pack of cigarettes.....

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Three hours of eatin' turf... ]

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I'd trade for a pack of cigarettes.....Three hours of eatin' turf... ]

Shoulda stayed in Mexico to surf.......

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm a man of dreams, by no means.......

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm a man of dreams, by no means.......

STAR of the team.......

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Once again........with feeling......:D

Bullaholic
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Third bandage, midnight pain.......

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Once again........with feeling......:D

(oops, I forgot to say in my best Arlo Guthrie's voice...)

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Third bandage, midnight pain.......

Bound to happen again and again.....

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Come on the rest of you, you know the tune.....;)

GreenMachine
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
ROMO HAS WORN HIS WELCOME OUT

GreenMachine
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
HE NEEDS TO BE BENCHED AND POUT

sinton66
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Be bold, be bold. Might as well have some fun with it.;)

CueroGobblers
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
ALL DALLAS HATERS GET THE ____ OUT!!!!!

Move The Chains
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
The Cowboys are Horrible. :clap:

sinton66
10-05-2009, 08:25 PM
The Cowboys are Horrible. :clap:

Doesn't fit the tune.:tisk: :tisk:

orange machine
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I think Jerry should have signed Favre.

swstangs001
10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I think Jerry should have signed Favre.

I think Jerry should hire a coach that won't take any crap from him, and soimeone to be a GM, and get a QB who is smart and athletic...not jsut athletic

sinton66
10-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by swstangs001
I think Jerry should hire a coach that won't take any crap from him, and soimeone to be a GM, and get a QB who is smart and athletic...not jsut athletic

He had one when he first bought the team. Jerry's massive ego ran him off. The GM job went to Junior. It's the Golden rule.
(He who has the gold makes the rules).;)

MJMbrahmas10
10-06-2009, 07:17 AM
i think jerry laughs at fools like yall and could careless what yall say cause he is making millions and most likely ur not!

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2009, 08:29 AM
He had one when he first bought the team. Jerry's massive ego ran him off. The GM job went to Junior. It's the Golden rule.
(He who has the gold makes the rules).;)

it was not as much an ego things as people think. Jimmy has said MANY times he would not have stayed no matter what. He was a builder not a sustainer and admitted he was getting bored with the success.

Farmersfan
10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Yea and we all saw how much success Jimmy had in Miami. Jimmy's schtick wore out his welcome very quickly here. It's great for a couple of years but the players start to resent an Arse-Wype like that after a little while. That's why Parcell's didn't last here either. You have to mingle discipline with morale. You can't be a Gruden type tyrant in todays NFL. Coach Cowher was so loved by his players. He was tough as nails most of the time but didn't have a problem hugging (even kissing) his players at times. He cried on Nationwide TV when they won the superbowl. Could you imagine Johnson, Parcels or Gruden doing that? I would slit my throat if Jerry hired Gruden. He is terrible on Monday night football. I see that ridiculous, fake facial scowl and I want to retch. What a moron!
OK, back to the topic: ROMO Sucks!:D

coachc45
10-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Adams is leading the league in penalties and possibly was the leader in sacks allowed until last night. He has not been good at all this year. D-ends run around, through, and over him. He has taken to playing dirty also, see the leg whips, a sure sign of a guy on the Fast Decline.

Move The Chains
10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
i think jerry laughs at fools like yall and could careless what yall say cause he is making millions and most likely ur not! Nothing more. Just wanted to give the guys another chance to read this statement. :doh:

Macarthur
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by coachc45
Adams is leading the league in penalties and possibly was the leader in sacks allowed until last night. He has not been good at all this year. D-ends run around, through, and over him. He has taken to playing dirty also, see the leg whips, a sure sign of a guy on the Fast Decline.

That is absolutely not true. Flo has actually graded out really well up to Sunday.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/cowboys-offensive-line-lt-adams-stymie-c.html

He also shout out Osi.

Macarthur
10-06-2009, 10:11 AM
And IMO, there was a huge diff between Cowboy Bill and Giant Bill. IMO, Parcells saw a fat paycheck and took it and could have cared less about another Superbowl for the Cowboys. In addition to coaching, Parcells was brought in mainly to put the Cowboys front office and drafting and scouting into order after being the laughing stock of the league.

Well, there's no question that later Bill didn't have as much fire in his belly, but that's not JJ's fault.

I also think you are wrong by saying that Bill didn't care. Also, while he did do some good things personel wise, he also had more than his fair share of draft busts.

handNthedirt
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Interesting that T.O.s name hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I know he hasn't done a thing in Buffalo, ironically either have the Cowboys this season...wherever they've played. They are totally out of sync. R.Williams is nowhere near being a #1 reciever on a team other than detroit...totally overrated as many players are that played collegiately under mack brown. Best running game in the league with all but our 3rd stringer injured. Get used to that. No pass rush. Dicey secondary. It's going to be a long season. Fire Garrett. Demote Wade to DC. Hire Holmgren, Gruden, or Shannahan...someone that has an idea how to groom a qb.

Romophobes Unite!!!

coach
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Interesting that T.O.s name hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I know he hasn't done a thing in Buffalo, ironically either have the Cowboys this season...wherever they've played. They are totally out of sync. R.Williams is nowhere near being a #1 reciever on a team other than detroit...totally overrated as many players are that played collegiately under mack brown. Best running game in the league with all but our 3rd stringer injured. Get used to that. No pass rush. Dicey secondary. It's going to be a long season. Fire Garrett. Demote Wade to DC. Hire Holmgren, Gruden, or Shannahan...someone that has an idea how to groom a qb.

Romophobes Unite!!!

i disagree on the pass rush..the past two weeks they have been above par in that category

GreenMachine
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Yea and we all saw how much success Jimmy had in Miami. Jimmy's schtick wore out his welcome very quickly here. It's great for a couple of years but the players start to resent an Arse-Wype like that after a little while. That's why Parcell's didn't last here either. You have to mingle discipline with morale. You can't be a Gruden type tyrant in todays NFL. Coach Cowher was so loved by his players. He was tough as nails most of the time but didn't have a problem hugging (even kissing) his players at times. He cried on Nationwide TV when they won the superbowl. Could you imagine Johnson, Parcels or Gruden doing that? I would slit my throat if Jerry hired Gruden. He is terrible on Monday night football. I see that ridiculous, fake facial scowl and I want to retch. What a moron!
OK, back to the topic: ROMO Sucks!:D Gruden is great on MNF and I wish they would hire him as head coach!!!

handNthedirt
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by coach
i disagree on the pass rush..the past two weeks they have been above par in that category

Above par? Really? Is that why Victor Butler (who?) is leading the cowboys with a whopping 2 of the teams 6 sacks? I think Jarrod Allen sacked A.Rodgers 6 times last night alone. The cowboys are dismal and it starts with the coaching and runs downhill to the overrated overpaid players. Hell the offensive "leader" has a hard time counting to 4 appearantly. It's going to be a long season as a cowboys fan.

coach
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
but 6 sacks in 2 games aint too bad

handNthedirt
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
6 sacks going into week 5 is not good coach. are you coaching to win ballgames?

coach
10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
dude i said the last two games they have been productive....read my freakin post

Diocletian
10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I think Romo just needs a better Coordinator.

If you notice with History... many great QB have had a great QB coach that eventually went on to be a head coach....this is exactly what Romo needs.

Get rid of J.Garrett

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian
I think Romo just needs a better Coordinator.

If you notice with History... many great QB have had a great QB coach that eventually went on to be a head coach....this is exactly what Romo needs.

Get rid of J.Garrett

I think you're right. the DMN blog does an iteresting piece about how well Romo did under Big Bill and Sporano and under Garrett. He had a great start under Garrett, but overall, he has really regressed the last two-thirds of a season. I think many of the issues are schematic.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I think you're right. the DMN blog does an iteresting piece about how well Romo did under Big Bill and Sporano and under Garrett. He had a great start under Garrett, but overall, he has really regressed the last two-thirds of a season. I think many of the issues are schematic.

I think it is two fold

Under Parcells Romo was held more accountable for his play. Meaning just because Romo might have thrown a TD or made a big gain on a certain play if it was still the wrong read, Parcells would come down on him about it. I dont get the sense it is like that now

Also without Sparano I think the blitz pick up is terrible now. Parcells used to say he loved when a team blitzed because it allowed him to attack. Now it seems when a team blitzes the Cowboys dont attack the blitz.

Also as someone said this whole keep Romo in the pocket make him a pocket passer has backfired. Romo showed on the 4th down play to Hurd for the big gain that he still is a better QB when moving around. That creates alot of headaches in coverage for a defense.

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I think it is two fold

Under Parcells Romo was held more accountable for his play. Meaning just because Romo might have thrown a TD or made a big gain on a certain play if it was still the wrong read, Parcells would come down on him about it. I dont get the sense it is like that now

Also without Sparano I think the blitz pick up is terrible now. Parcells used to say he loved when a team blitzed because it allowed him to attack. Now it seems when a team blitzes the Cowboys dont attack the blitz.

Also as someone said this whole keep Romo in the pocket make him a pocket passer has backfired. Romo showed on the 4th down play to Hurd for the big gain that he still is a better QB when moving around. That creates alot of headaches in coverage for a defense. I couldn't care less about the Cowboys, but I agree with what you said.

OldBison75
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
And I think that the real issue here is that ROMO is the most inconsistent QB in the league. He can look like a superstar one week and a jr. high QB the next. When any professional QB is consistently overthrowng and throwing behind receivers, that tells me he is either trying too hard to steer the ball or is rushing too much. Romo seems to do pretty good when there is no pressure in the pocket, but let a rush get near him and he freaks out. He forces passes, rushes passes, throws poorly, makes bad decisions, or fumbles.

You can blame all you want on Garrett, but the reality is that Romo is the one with the ball in his hands and he ain't doing the job. Garrett can't throw for him, can't stand in the pocket for him, and can't glue the ball in his hands, and sure can't make him avoid stupid decisions. Kitna is not the answer either.

As for Wade Phillips, he would not make a pimple on his daddy's butt as a coach or motivator. I thought it was a stupid choice when it was made and nothing has changed my mind. Of the coaches that are available right now, Gruden or Shannahan would be my choice.

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Cowboys + Gruden + 1st round draft pick (QB) - Jason Garrett = Playoffs in about 2 years

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I think it is two fold

Also as someone said this whole keep Romo in the pocket make him a pocket passer has backfired. Romo showed on the 4th down play to Hurd for the big gain that he still is a better QB when moving around. That creates alot of headaches in coverage for a defense.

I agree 100%

OldBison75 And I think that the real issue here is that ROMO is the most inconsistent QB in the league. He can look like a superstar one week and a jr. high QB the next. When any professional QB is consistently overthrowng and throwing behind receivers, that tells me he is either trying too hard to steer the ball or is rushing too much. Romo seems to do pretty good when there is no pressure in the pocket, but let a rush get near him and he freaks out. He forces passes, rushes passes, throws poorly, makes bad decisions, or fumbles.

You can blame all you want on Garrett, but the reality is that Romo is the one with the ball in his hands and he ain't doing the job. Garrett can't throw for him, can't stand in the pocket for him, and can't glue the ball in his hands, and sure can't make him avoid stupid decisions. Kitna is not the answer either.

As for Wade Phillips, he would not make a pimple on his daddy's butt as a coach or motivator. I thought it was a stupid choice when it was made and nothing has changed my mind. Of the coaches that are available right now, Gruden or Shannahan would be my choice.

I understand what you are saying recently, but Romo has shown that he can be consistent and can be very accurate.

The entire point is that under Garrett's tutalidge, he has regressed. I think had Sparano stayed, we would be having a very different discussion.

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Cowboys + Gruden + 1st round draft pick (QB) - Jason Garrett = Playoffs in about 2 years

I'm concerned about the way Gruden handled QBs down in TB. I've read that some accuse him of being too fickle. He was always running guys through there.

I personally think Holmgren or Shanny would be a better option for Romo.

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Romo has shown that he can be consistent and can be very accurate. When? :confused:

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm concerned about the way Gruden handled QBs down in TB. I've read that some accuse him of being too fickle. He was always running guys through there.

I personally think Holmgren or Shanny would be a better option for Romo. Notice the (+ first round draft pick (QB) )part of my post.

Gruden + QB other than Romo

GreenMachine
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Cowboys + Gruden + 1st round draft pick (QB) - Jason Garrett = Playoffs in about 2 years :thumbsup:

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
When? :confused:

In Romo's first 32 games:

64.8% comp 7114 yds 55 TDs 32 INTs 96.25 Rating

In Romo's last 16 games:

59.6% comp 4438 yds 30 TDs 18 INTs 87 Rating

Also, his yards per completion has gone down almost a full yard in those last 16 games.

No one can really deny that his first 30+ games were fantastic. However, he has regressed. Why?

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
In Romo's first 32 games:

64.8% comp 7114 yds 55 TDs 32 INTs 96.25 Rating

In Romo's last 16 games:

59.6% comp 4438 yds 30 TDs 18 INTs 87 Rating

Also, his yards per completion has gone down almost a full yard in those last 16 games.

No one can really deny that his first 30+ games were fantastic. However, he has regressed. Why?

hmm lets play devils advocate and double his last 16 games into 32 games

Would be 8876 yrds 60 TDS and 36 ints...Now that honestly is about the same as his first 32 but throwing for more yards 5 more TDS and 4 more ints.

biggest is the % completition. IMO alot of that is the routes that are run now compared to his first 32 games and he does not scramble as much.

BuckeyeNut
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Sometimes QB just dont fit with the team there on. Roma is having so many problems I think he needs to move on and try another place.

Macarthur
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Would be 8876 yrds 60 TDS and 36 ints...Now that honestly is about the same as his first 32 but throwing for more yards 5 more TDS and 4 more ints.

biggest is the % completition. IMO alot of that is the routes that are run now compared to his first 32 games and he does not scramble as much.

I understand your point, but the key factor is that in his last 16 games his comp % is down significantly, his INTs are up and his record is around .500.

Throwing for yards isn't really the problem, outside of last week.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I understand your point, but the key factor is that in his last 16 games his comp % is down significantly, his INTs are up and his record is around .500.

Throwing for yards isn't really the problem, outside of last week.

yes his ints are up..but so are his TD's...your right the % is different. Why is the % different is a big Q IMO and I dont think it is all because of what Romo is doing right and wrong.

Move The Chains
10-07-2009, 08:13 PM

biggest is the % completition. IMO alot of that is the routes that are run now compared to his first 32 games and he does not scramble as much. Fine and dandy. Let's see him win a meaningful game. That's bigger than any stat.

GrTigers6
10-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Fine and dandy. Let's see him win a meaningful game. That's bigger than any stat. He did beat Green Bay last year when they were both 4-0
IT WAS A BIG GAME AT THE TIME

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
He did beat Green Bay last year when they were both 4-0
IT WAS A BIG GAME AT THE TIME

Or the Giants game last December, or the Eagles game last September, or the Packers game in 2007 with home field advantage on the line, or the December 2007 game against the Panthers without T.O., or beating the Giants twice that year, or the Falcons in December of 2006 or the undefeated Colts in November of 2006.

Every one of those games listed above were huge games at the time. Nobody remembers them because Tony Romo actually led the team to victory and it ruins a fun "he can't win a big game" argument.

Move The Chains
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Or the Giants game last December, or the Eagles game last September, or the Packers game in 2007 with home field advantage on the line, or the December 2007 game against the Panthers without T.O., or beating the Giants twice that year, or the Falcons in December of 2006 or the undefeated Colts in November of 2006.

Every one of those games listed above were huge games at the time. Nobody remembers them because Tony Romo actually led the team to victory and it ruins a fun "he can't win a big game" argument. It doesn't ruin the Tony Romo has never won a playoff game comment. :clap:

Wow, Tony won 1 meaningful game in 09!!!!! Awesome!

Wait, then he screwed it up in the other half dozen games. :doh:

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
It doesn't ruin the Tony Romo has never won a playoff game comment. :clap:

Wow, Tony won 1 meaningful game in 09!!!!! Awesome!

Wait, then he screwed it up in the other half dozen games. :doh:

Peyton Manning was 0-4 before winning his first playoff game.

He was 8-5 when he played last year, and he missed the "easy" part of the schedule and played the second half of the season with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand.

Yeah, he really screwed over the team last year with his performance. :rolleyes:

He also played brilliantly in games that the defense blew...Baltimore last December anybody?

Move The Chains
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM

He also played brilliantly in games that the defense blew...Baltimore last December anybody? Exact opposite this year! :clap:

Macarthur
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
yes his ints are up..but so are his TD's...your right the % is different. Why is the % different is a big Q IMO and I dont think it is all because of what Romo is doing right and wrong.

Listening to Brian Braodus on ESPN Tuesday, he said the WRs weren't getting much seperation beyond those few obvious bad throws by Tony.

I think that is a factor. I think late last year not having Barber or Felix really hurt the offense, as well as the OL injuries. I think the defense has been wildly inconsistent.

All of those are factors.

However, back to Romo, I think he has a tendency to lock onto WRs. He doesn't seem to be seeing the field much anymore. Frankly, I think Garrett has F'ed up his head. I think they are trying to over think things and make him into Brady. He doesn't have the same skill sets as Brady. I also think if you go back and see what Sporano was doing with Tony early in his career, you will see a much more successful long-term plan for Tony's skill set.

So I think his tutiledge, average at best WR corp, some injuries and inconsistent defense have all contributed to the team and Tony's mediocre showing the last 15 games or so.

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Exact opposite this year! :clap:

Yeah...he's totally at fault for the defense blowing fourth-quarter leads in both of the team's losses.

He's at fault for driving his team down the field in crunch time against the Giants and putting the team on top only to watch the Giants march down the field as time expires and kick a winning field goal.

He's at fault for the defense totally quitting with two minutes to play and letting Marshall walk into the endzone on a hail mary that he never should have caught. Then he responds by driving the team 79 yards before the offensive coordinator calls three passing plays in a row with your top two receiving options not in the play (Witten was used a blocker only, Williams sitting on the sideline).

Yeah, the Cowboys are 2-2 because of Romo...if Dallas had Byron Leftwich or some other quarterback, they'd totally be 4-0, no doubt.

Seriously? That's your argument???? :doh:

Macarthur
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah...he's totally at fault for the defense blowing fourth-quarter leads in both of the team's losses.

He's at fault for driving his team down the field in crunch time against the Giants and putting the team on top only to watch the Giants march down the field as time expires and kick a winning field goal.

He's at fault for the defense totally quitting with two minutes to play and letting Marshall walk into the endzone on a hail mary that he never should have caught. Then he responds by driving the team 79 yards before the offensive coordinator calls three passing plays in a row with your top two receiving options not in the play (Witten was used a blocker only, Williams sitting on the sideline).

Yeah, the Cowboys are 2-2 because of Romo...if Dallas had Byron Leftwich or some other quarterback, they'd totally be 4-0, no doubt.

Seriously? That's your argument???? :doh:

You're exactly right that most of the time, Tony puts his team in a position to win. The defense has let this team down several times lately.

I mean, some folks like to point to the Pitt game last year. Granted, he didn't have a great game, but the reality is that the INT only tied the game. What lost the game was when the defense let Pitt got 80+ yards for the go ahead TD. Same with Balt. Tony put them in position to win that game. They had the lead over NY with 3 minutes left. They had a a10 point lead on Denver.

Move The Chains
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Seriously? That's your argument???? :doh: No, Leftiwch would have them at 2-2. He's Romo's equivalent.

Say Carson Palmer, or Matt Ryan, etc... they'd be 4-0.

And yes, Romo is at fault for those games. How do you expect to win if you only score 10 points against the Broncos. Not at fault on the last drive.... but the other 10 in between the first qt and that drive.... yea. He was at fault.

The Cowboys racked up what, 50 yds of offense in that period.

TweetThis
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM

And yes, Romo is at fault for those games. How do you expect to win if you only score 10 points against the Broncos. Not at fault on the last drive.... but the other 10 in between the first qt and that drive.... yea. He was at fault.

Partly due to the fact that instead of continuing to beatdown on a smaller D-line by running the ball, Garret decides to continue to throw the ball, sorta reminds me of the Week 2 game. Why does he continue to stray from what obviously is a strength on the offensive side of the ball? It is getting to the point to where people are calling him out in it ex: Patrick Crayton saying that they needed to just "grind it out" in his interview.

The second Half of the Denver game They threw the ball WAY more then I would have liked.

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
No, Leftiwch would have them at 2-2. He's Romo's equivalent.

Say Carson Palmer, or Matt Ryan, etc... they'd be 4-0.

Carson Palmer? You mean the same quarterback who put up only 7 points in a game against those same Broncos three weeks ago, and those seven points only came after he'd been shut out for 58 minutes? The same quarterback who needed five quarters to get to 230 yards against the Browns while only completing 52% of his passes?

Ryan and Romo are closer to equivalents, but even with Ryan, he's a guy whose high-yardage day on the season is 229 yards, and it took him 36 attempts to get there.

waterboy
10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
My take is that Tony Romo is suffering from lack of confidence in himself and his receivers. If he doesn't regain that swagger that made him a Pro Bowl type QB he will continue to slide into oblivion and become a has-been. I hate to see someone with that much talent not reach his full potential. Sometimes he has tunnel vision, too, which makes him succeptible to interceptions and fumbles from blind-side hits. I think that if he would just keep his eyes "peeled", and do his check-offs more quickly he would be fine. He can't spend his time worrying about making mistakes, but just concentrate on the above and those mistakes will diminish. That's just the way I see it...:( I really like him as a QB, and these mistakes cannot continue to be what he is known for, or his career will be shortened.....

Move The Chains
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Carson Palmer? You mean the same quarterback who put up only 7 points in a game against those same Broncos three weeks ago, and those seven points only came after he'd been shut out for 58 minutes? The same quarterback who needed five quarters to get to 230 yards against the Browns while only completing 52% of his passes?

Ryan and Romo are closer to equivalents, but even with Ryan, he's a guy whose high-yardage day on the season is 229 yards, and it took him 36 attempts to get there. :doh: What part of the talent around the QB's do you not understand?

Put Romo on the Bengals and see how well he does?

Put Palmer on the Cowboys and his stats would sky rocket.

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
:doh: What part of the talent around the QB's do you not understand?

Put Romo on the Bengals and see how well he does?

Put Palmer on the Cowboys and his stats would sky rocket.

The Bengals have better wide receivers than the Cowboys do.

Buckeye1980
10-09-2009, 12:31 PM
My take on Romo.....PLEASE TAKE HIM AWAY!

Cameron Crazy
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Some people are going to hate on Romo, but I honestly think that Garret is not using his head in the play calling. But, it could be romo.

They really need to get their heads together and figure out what they can do to improve. Cause if they don't pretty soon, it won't be good.

coach
10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
6 sacks going into week 5 is not good coach. are you coaching to win ballgames?

10 sacks in 3 games....

gambler1606
10-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I think Romo needs to have a stint in the Arena League, OHHH!!! is that still a working league?