Snyder_TigerFan
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Monahans....easily.

elguapo
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
monahans rolls hard

wtfootball
10-05-2009, 07:32 AM
After the Ft. Stockton game, I am not sure this will be as easy as I once did. It is gut check time for the boys in Green. The "should" win by 21 but Seminole will bring everything they have and in past years have been explosive. Should be a good one.

Sweetwater Red
10-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I was surprised by the Ft. Stockton score also, but I still think Monahans runs away with this one.

teetle
10-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Monohans because ol ringeye be livin there.

Ex-Tiger2005
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Monahans finally is tested! But they win by 14!

tex_male
10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Fort Stockton did a good job of keep away.

From mywesttexas.com

MONAHANS -- The No. 8-ranked Monahans football team could care less about being 5-0, but it is sure nice to have that record going into District 3-3A play next week.

It wasn’t entirely easy for the Loboes to get to 5-0 on Friday night as Fort Stockton played keep-away and the Panthers played much better than the supposed 33-point underdogs. However, Monahans got some good running from Colby Denton and another solid performance from the defense for a 28-6 victory over Fort Stockton at Estes Memorial Stadium.

“It doesn’t mean anything,” Denton said. “We haven’t won any money games, we haven’t done anything. We just have to come back to work, get ready for Seminole (next week) and be ready to go.”

Monahans coach Mickey Owens was quick to credit the gutsy job the Panthers (2-2) did of holding on to the football.

“They kept it on the ground and grinded,” Owens said. “They did a great job because we only ran three plays in the third quarter. I thought (Panthers coach Rex) Whitfield had those guys ready, especially with all the adversity they faced, they had a great plan.”

Keeping the ball away was about the only way the Panthers were going to pull off the upset as Fort Stockton came in a little weary with about half of the team being out of pratice at one point during the week with flu-like symptons.

Fort Stockton pulled within 21-6 after a 35-yard run by D.J. Galvan early in the fourth quarter, but the Loboes responded on the first play of the next possession with a 60-yard touchdown run by Denton, which finally put the game away. Denton finished with 161 yards rushing and three touchdowns.

“We just kept our composure and had to come back and score,” said Denton about Fort Stockton’s game plan. “Things just opened up (on that run).”

Added Owens, “Our kids are old enough to understand that there’s going to be adversity. I don’t think they thought we were going to come in here and score all the points we wanted to and run whatever we wanted to. These seniors have battled (Fort Stockton’s) seniors every year and it’s been a close ball game every year.”

Owens hinted that maybe this was a good game for the Loboes to have as they begin district play at always-tough Seminole next Friday.

“I told (the kids) that this was a great tuneup for us,” Owens said. “Somebody said we were a 33-point favorite. Us and Fort Stockton, that’s never going to happen for us. They exposed some things.”

The game began like it was going to be another Monahans rout as the Loboes drove 66 yards on six plays on their first drive, culminating with a 25-yard run by Denton less than 2 1/2 minutes into the game.

The Panthers’ game plan of keeping the ball away from the Loboes’ offense worked for the most part in the first half. However, a fumble or penalties cost them any chance to get near the red zone.

Meanwhile, the Loboes didn’t need much time to get into the end zone early in the second quarter when quarterback Quincy Titus went off the right tackle untouched for a 47-yard touchdown run to give the Loboes a 14-0 lead.

The Loboes made it 21-0 right before the half when they capped off a 73-yard, four-play drive with a 17-yard touchdown run by Denton.

No. 8 MONAHANS 28, FORT STOCKTON 6

Fort Stockton 0 0 0 6 --6

Monahans 7 14 0 7 --28

First Quarter

MON -- Colby Denton 25 run (Ty Horton kick), 9:37

Second Quarter

MON -- Quincy Titus 47 run (Horton kick), 8:32

MON -- Denton 17 run (Horton kick), 1:07

Fourth Quarter

FSHS -- D.J. Galvan 35 run (kick failed), 11:49

MON -- Denton 60 run (Horton kick), 11:30

FSHS MON

First Downs 13 11

Rushes-yard 46-149 22-305

Passing 49 47

Comp.-Att.-Int. 4-8-0 2-6-0

Punts-Avg. 7-35.1 3-36.0

Fumbles-lost 5-1 4-2

Penalties-yds 8-60 4-20

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING -- Fort Stockton, Armando Martinez 16-30, D.J. Galvan 15-41, Angel Martinez 7-41, Lorenzo Hayes 6-35, Kyle Mischnick 1-0, Jose Valenzuela 1-2. Monahans, Colby Denton 13-161, Quincy Titus 4-58, Byron Scharf 1-64, Micah Ramsey 3-27, Martin Marquez 1-(-5)

PASSING -- Fort Stockton, Armando Martinez 1-2-0--6, Galvan 3-6-0--43. Monahans, Titus 2-6-0--47

RECEIVING -- Fort Stockton, Enoch De La Rosa 1-25, Christian Lozano 1-11, Galvan 1-6, Brandon Mehan 1-7. Monahans, Trevor Owens 1-25, Rex Rose 1-22

Read more: http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/10/05/sports/highschool/football/doc4ac6e6c9220ee659021464.txt#ixzz0T4WIETEU

tex_male
10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
from Odessa American:
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/monahans-4712-stockton-first.html

Football: Monahans grinds out win against Fort Stockton
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
October 02, 2009 11:24 PM
BY GEOFF FOLSOM
MONAHANS The Fort Stockton Panthers, fighting back from illness, controlled the ball for most of the game Friday against heavily favored Monahans, running 46 offensive plays through the first three quarters to 23 for the Loboes.
But Monahans took quality over quantity of plays in scoring three first-half touchdowns on its way to a 28-6 victory at Estes Stadium.
“They played great,” Monahans coach Mickey Owens said of his rivals from down Highway 18. “With all the adversity they faced all week, I thought (Panthers head coach Rex Whitfield) had a great game plan.”
Fort Stockton had 19 players miss practice during the week due to the flu. But Whitfield said all of them were able to play against the Loboes.
“We’d get one back, lose two more, get two back, lose three more,” Whitfield said. “I was real proud.”
But he compensated using a triple option attack that was able to eat up the clock.
Still, it wasn’t enough to stop Monahans.
Colby Denton had first half touchdown runs of 25 and 17 yards, while quarterback Quincy Titus ran for a 48-yard touchdown in the second quarter that got Monahans (4-0) going after a slow start.
Armando Martinez started at quarterback for Fort Stockton (2-3) for D.J. Galvan, who was among those sick during the week. But Galvan came back to play quarterback and lead Fort Stockton with 70 rushing yards, with 35 of those coming on the Panthers’ only score on the first play of the fourth quarter.
But Monahans responded quickly, with Denton taking the Loboes first play of the next posses-sion 60 yards, which helped him finish with 164 rushing yards on 13 carries. Owens said it was a huge play coming off the Fort Stockton touchdown and a third quarter in which Monahans only ran four plays.
“We answered back,” Owens said. “That was big for our kids, it really was.”
Though Monahans rushed for 306 yards, the Loboes fumbled four times, including two they lost. They only had two turnovers on the season coming into the game.
Now Monahans heads to Seminole to open District 3-3A play against the Indians, who along with Greenwood tied the Loboes atop the league standings in 2008.
While he still sees mistakes the Loboes need to correct, Denton said this team is ahead of last season’s pace.
“I think we’ve gotten way better,” Denton said. “We’ve come together a lot more. We need to keep going straight.”

Monahans 28, Fort Stockton 6

Fort Stockton 0 0 0 6 — 6
Monahans 7 14 0 7 — 28
———
SCORING SUMMARY
First Quarter
Monahans — Colby Denton 25 run (Ty Horton kick), 9:37.
Second Quarter
Monahans — Quincy Titus 48 run (Horton kick), 8:32.
Monahans — Denton 17 run (Horton kick), 1:07.
Fourth Quarter
Fort Stockton — D.J. Galvan 35 run (kick failed), 11:49.
Monahans — Denton 60 run (Horton kick), 11:30.
———
TEAM STATISTICS
FS Monahans
First downs 14 11
Total yards 220 359
Rushes-yards 37-172 23-306
Passing 48 53
Comp-Att-Int 4-8-0 2-6-0
Punts-Avg. 6-41.7 3-34
Fumbles-Lost 7-1 4-2
Penalties-Yards 8-60 6-25
INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING
Fort Stockton: D.J. Galvan 16-70, Angel Martinez 7-41, Armando Martinez 16-30, Lorenzo Hayes 6-29, Jose Valenzuela 1-2, Kyle Mishnick 1-0.
Monahans: Colby Denton 13-164, Byron Scharf 1-64, Quincy Titus 4-57, Micah Ramsey 3-27, Martin Marquez 1-(-5).
PASSING
Fort Stockton: D.J. Galvan 3-6-0—42, Armando Martinez 1-2-0—6.
Monahans: Quincy Titus 2-6-0—53.
RECEIVING
Fort Stockton: Enoch De La Rosa 1-25, Christian Lozano 1-10, Brandon Mehan 1-7, D.J. Galvan 1-6.
Monahans: Trevor Owens 1-27, Rex Rose 1-26.

M-town lobo fan
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Ft.Stockton played cheese ball.I have never in my history seen a team come into a game not wanting to win but wanting to run out the clock not to get the score ran up on as Ft.Stockton did.It was fustrating for the Loboes & fans. Ft.Stockton is down 21-0 and running fullback dives out of a goal line offense the entire second half.Horrible!!!! I watched Ft.Stockton against Greenwood and they ran the spread shotgun 90% and against the loboes they choose to run out of big formation to kill the clock.They went from being called Panthers to pussycats!

teetle
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
yall enjoy it wile yous can. at some points yous got to play Cuero:eek: :eek: :eek: :taunt:

westtxfballfan
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by M-town lobo fan
Ft.Stockton played cheese ball.I have never in my history seen a team come into a game not wanting to win but wanting to run out the clock not to get the score ran up on as Ft.Stockton did.It was fustrating for the Loboes & fans. Ft.Stockton is down 21-0 and running fullback dives out of a goal line offense the entire second half.Horrible!!!! I watched Ft.Stockton against Greenwood and they ran the spread shotgun 90% and against the loboes they choose to run out of big formation to kill the clock.They went from being called Panthers to pussycats!

I noticed this, too. It was almost as if the coach was content to not get blown out. They took the clock all the way down at each snap even when they were down by 3 scores in the 3rd and 4th quarters. They were punting to Monahans on make-able 4th downs near mid-field with 9 minutes to go in the game. I had not seen them play this year, so I did not know they threw as much as I've heard since. Firday was nothing but fullback dives and runs to keep the clock going. It was strange.

DukeNukem
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by teetle
yall enjoy it wile yous can. at some points yous got to play Cuero:eek: :eek: :eek: :taunt:

Considering that would be the State Finals, I am sure the Loboes would love to have to play Cuero.

As far as the Fort Stockton game, I was told the same as many of you are reporting. It seemed to have more of a sub-varsity atmosphere from what i was told. We have to give some credit to Fort Stockton, as they were more successful in moving the ball against Monahans than any other team. Midland Christian had alot of passing yards but it was all against the 2nd and 3rd teamers after Monahans had called the dogs off.

wtfootball
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Any that read my posts know I am partial to the Loboes but these last post are pretty sad. If you don't want Ft. Stockton to run out the clock, play a little defense and get the ball back. Ball control, eating the clock is Monahans game plan week in and week out. And we are aggravated at Ft. Stockton for using the Loboe game plan? If they are the pussy cats, is M the puppies? Man up. Defense wins championships. Monahans has so much more talent for it to have been this close exposed our defense. Ft. Stockton should be praised for keeping it this close. That game should still be stining our seniors this Friday night. This week is time for Monahans to get angry, play aggressive and show the state of Texas we have a defense.

M-town lobo fan
10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree Deffense does win you championships thats why Ft.Stockton only scored 6 points.Monahans game plan week in week out is ball control im sure it is for like 100% of teams state wide but we do it when we are in a game or ahead not when we are down by 3 or 4 td's.We try making something happen not tell ourselves this is good we only getting beat by 21 & holding them to their lowest scoring total all year. Guess it was a moral victory for Ft.Stockton.

wtfootball
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
and it stung Monahans and it should so instead of making excuses, I choose to do everything I can to fire up our guys to get to that State game we have all waited on for so many years now. Stockton is over and M is still undefeated. I expect to see a turnover free game and great defensive effort against Seminole. I know the coaching staff will have them ready.
Go Green.

WTF-82
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Enough about Stockton they came in with a good plan give them credit . Our Defense is fine they were not expexting a run game from Ft. Stockton anybody that coaches nows how hard it is to game plan for a spread team then they come out a run a option offense attack good job of Loboes and staff to adjust and get the the job done, good plan of the Panthers.

Now its District play and I will say that Seminole has as good a defense as anyone in region 1 this will be a big game for the Loboes. Last Year Seminole jumped up to a 14-0 lead in 1st qtr so Loboes must be ready they will try to get a fast start.

Tres Lobos
10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Fort Stockton is over and done with. The Loboes have got their eyes on Seminole now. This is goin to be the best team the Loboes face during the regular season. I think the Loboes are gonna come out fired up and ready to play and take this one by 21.

Monahans 35
Seminole 14

Go Loboes!!

wtfootball
10-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I think Tres hit it on the head. This will be Seminole's superbowl. MO will have them ready to go and I think the score for M will be 35 or greater. Who did Seminole lose to early in the year?

Tres Lobos
10-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by wtfootball
I think Tres hit it on the head. This will be Seminole's superbowl. MO will have them ready to go and I think the score for M will be 35 or greater. Who did Seminole lose to early in the year?

They lost to canyon pretty bad, i think by about 17, but i'm not positive. Seminole has gotten their offense going some what lately. At the first of the year their defense was having to carry them. I think their offense is gonna have to play great to beable to win this one against probably the toughest defense they've played all year.

M-town lobo fan
10-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Monahans by 21! It's sad that it's the 1st district game & for the championship already.

wtfootball
10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
That was the thinking last year until Greenwood slipped one by them. Never say never.

20loboes10
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
That was the thinking last year until Greenwood slipped one by them. Never say never.

NEVER!!! :p

tex_male
10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by M-town lobo fan
Monahans by 21! It's sad that it's the 1st district game & for the championship already.

I remember thinking that way last year!

With the label of being ranked in top 10 plus the history we have with all the teams, they will have more desire to defeat Monahans.

So I would not rule out the possibility of anyone beating the Loboes each week.

tex_male
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I do pick the Loboes to win. GO GREEN GO!

Pinerider
10-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Seminole is starting 6 sophomores on offense and 3 sophomores on defense. They are going to be very good in the next couple of years. With that said, they will not have the experience to beat a very experienced and talented Monahans team.

Tres Lobos
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Pinerider
Seminole is starting 6 sophomores on offense and 3 sophomores on defense. They are going to be very good in the next couple of years. With that said, they will not have the experience to beat a very experienced and talented Monahans team.

their starting that many sophmores because of the lack of talent in the junior class. So next year its gonna pretty much be these sophmores having to take over as senior leadership.

garciap77
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Lobos!

Pinerider
10-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
their starting that many sophmores because of the lack of talent in the junior class. So next year its gonna pretty much be these sophmores having to take over as senior leadership. You are correct about their junior class. They also look pretty good below the sophomore class and head coach's son is freshman so that class will get extra attention.

WTF-82
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Loboes JV riding a nice winning streak have not lost a single game since 9-1-06 vs Snyder JV. Since then have gone unbeaten. Undefeated in 2007,2008 seasons and so far in the 2009 year and in 2006 went 9-1 only the opener loss to Snyder.
Great Job Loboes keep it up.

I will note that the only loss for our JV in 2006 the green got there revenge in that game with Area Playoff win vs Snyder last year over that that Senior class that graduated last year.

Since 2006 - 34-1 JV record
34 game winning streak !!

Note: This season Loboes also have moved up about 4-5 players I believe from JV to Varsity. Sophs

wtfootball
10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok, I can feel it. Monahans over Seminole in a blowout.

SHSBulldog00
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Monahans has no problems!

WTF-82
10-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Monahans 56 Seminole 6 Fresh
Monahans 27 Seminole 14 JV

Monahans JV winning streak now at 35 games!

wtfootball
10-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm feeling a final score of
Monahans 41
Seminole 14

tex_male
10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
from www.mywesttexas.com

Last game: Monahans 28, Fort Stockton 6; Seminole 61, Clint 0 (Sept. 25)

Players to watch: Monahans, QB Quincy Titus (6-2, 190, Sr.), FB/LB Colby Denton (5-9, 180, Sr.), TE/DE Trevor Owens (6-1, 215, Sr.); Seminole, RB/DL Tevyn Reed (5-10, 198, Sr.), QB Jarod Adams (5-8, 140, Soph.), RB Chago Gomez (5-9, 181, Sr.), NG Daniel Allen (6-1, 240, Sr.)

Notables: This is the district opener for both teams. ...Monahans is coming off a tougher-than-expected game against Fort Stockton last Friday night. The Panthers did a good job of playing keep-away from the Loboes as they ran about twice as many plays (50-24) as Monahans did. However, Monahans made its few plays count by scoring on four of eight possessions. Denton led the way with 161 yards and three touchdowns on 13 carries, while Titus accounted for 105 yards and rushed for a touchdown. ...Seminole had the bye last week but its last game was a dismantling of Clint. Reed had 141 yards on 12 carries, while Gomez added 97 yards rushing and two touchdowns on 10 carries. ...The Indians are alternating sophomore quarterbacks Adams and Tanner Moore. Monahans coach Mickey Owens said Seminole will be the most athletic team his team has faced. “They’re real big up front on both sides of the ball and they have some really good speed,” Owens said. Owens added that his team can’t fall behind like last year when the Loboes went down 14-0 to Seminole before rallying back for a victory. Another key for the Loboes is to hold on to the football and keep it away from the Seminole playmakers. ...Monahans defeated Seminole 22-14 in 2008.

Next game: Andrews at Monahans, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 16; Seminole at Greenwood, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 16

Read more: http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/10/09/sports/highschool/football/doc4aceb94bea544752297166.txt#ixzz0TT2NYw89

tex_male
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
from odessa american: http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/bodytext-4751-class-seminole.html

NO. 8 MONAHANS LOBOES AT SEMINOLE INDIANS

>> Time, Date, Place: 7:30 tonight, Wig Wam Stadium.

>> Districts: This is a District 3-3A game.

>> Records: Monahans 5-0 overall, 0-0 district, Seminole 4-1, 0-0.

>> Last Week: Monahans 28, Fort Stockton 6; Seminole did not play.

>> Last Season: Monahans 22, Seminole 14.

>> Radio: KACT 1330-AM (Monahans); KIKZ 1250-AM (Seminole).

>> Notes: It is worth repeating. Monahans junior weakside linebacker Ricky Robledo had 24 tackles last week, including two tackles for loss and one fumble recovery. He has 70 tackles for the season. … Loboes opponents average 90.4 rushing yards per game, 106.6 through the air. … Senior defensive end Trevor Owens collected 13 tackles, one sack and one tackle for loss and caused a fumble last week for Monahans. … Seminole last played Sept. 25, a 61-0 thrashing of visiting Clint. … Judging by points scored each week, the Indians offense is improving, scoring more points in each subsequent game (7, 20, 23, 34, 61). … It appears Michael Navarro, who was in the running for the starting quarterback job before breaking his foot in a scrimmage Aug. 15, is out for the regular season, with a possible return for the second round of the playoffs, if necessary, head coach Chris Burtch said. … The Indians started five sophomores on offense against Clint. … Seminole’s Ricky Gillespie has 259 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

WTF-82
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
15-0 Loboes 1st

WTF-82
10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
22-0 LOBOES about 2 min left in 2nd

wtfootball
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm feeling a final score of
Monahans 41
Seminole 14

I missed it by one point, final 42-14 GREEEEEEN

tex_male
10-10-2009, 12:42 AM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/season-4778-seminole-old.html

Football: Monahans 42, Seminole 14
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
October 09, 2009 11:53 PM
BY GEOFF FOLSOM
SEMINOLE The District 3-3A season is only one game old, but last season’s three way tie for the league title is looking like a distant memory.
The Monahans Loboes, ranked No. 8 in Class 3A by the Associated Press, took a giant step to-ward claiming the 2009 district championship for themselves by routing Seminole 42-14 Friday night at Wig Wam Stadium.
The victory against one of the teams to tie them for the district’s top spot in 2008 (along with Greenwood) gives Monahans (6-0 overall, 1-0 district) a leg up in the district race, and a clear shot at finishing the regular season unbeaten.
The Loboes jumped out on their second possession with a 43-yard run by quarterback Quincy Ti-tus to take a 7-0 lead midway through the first quarter. It was part of a monster first half for Titus, who ran for 109 yards on six carries and threw for 101 by completing 2-of-6 passes, both to Wade Roark.
Monahans quickly backed up Seminole (4-2, 0-1) and just 1:01 after Titus’ run, Ricky Robledo sacked Indians quarterback Jarod Adams in the end zone for a safety.
“Right after kickoff, our coach just called in the blitz and sent me in and I got in there and got the play,” said Robledo, who later in the game completed a rare double of a safety and a receiving touchdown when he took a four-yard pass from Titus into the end zone.
The big start was crucial said Monahans coach Mickey Owens, whose team fell behind 14-0 last season at home against Seminole before rallying to win 22-14.
“That was a big key starting off and not having to come from behind,” Owens said.
Monahans never looked back, leading 22-0 at halftime and 42-0 in the fourth quarter before Tan-ner Moore led two late Seminole touchdown drives. Moore replaced Adams at quarterback at half-time and completed 9-of-16 passes for 86 yards with an interception and a touchdown pass.
Colby Denton ran for 91 yards on 21 carries and scored two touchdowns. Ricky Gillespie put up strong numbers for Seminole, catching six passes for 74 yards and scoring on a 21-yard fourth quar-ter touchdown run.
Seminole coach Chris Burtch said the Indians had a key loss early when lineman Daniel Allen went down to injury, but he gave credit to Monahans, saying the Loboes are much improved from last season’s team.
“Their defensive front is really phenomenal,” sixth year coach Burtch said. “I don’t know if there’s a better team I’ve faced at Seminole, and we’ve been in the playoffs every year.”
With a team that had six sophomores on offense at one point, Burtch said he will be taking some positives into next week’s game at Greenwood.
“It’s not necessarily regrouping, it’s preparing for our next opponent,” he said. “We prepare and get better each week.”
Owens said his team won’t look at the victory as getting its toughest district contest out of the way. He sees his team remaining focused.
“They won’t drop off,” he said. “It’s our job for them not to. The way I look at it, Andrews is our next toughest opponent.”

Seminole got most of their yards and 2 T.D. in the 4th against the Loboes back ups.