PDA

View Full Version : Everman's Boatwright remembered

Matthew328
10-22-2003, 07:43 AM
everman player remembered for 'a heart made of gold'
Family and friends honor Craig Boatwright four days after his death

11:44 PM CDT on Monday, October 20, 2003

By KYLE NAGEL / The Dallas Morning News

everman – Omarion Bradford remembers his last words with Craig Boatwright well.

"I remember him saying he was happy that he was almost finished," Bradford, Boatwright's football teammate, said from everman's auditorium stage. "I don't know why, but I said, 'I love you.' He said he loved me too. I now realize he wasn't just finished with the running, he was finished with his journey of life."

Boatwright, an everman senior defensive end and tight end, collapsed while running on the school's track Thursday and died. It was the last of 12 days of disciplinary conditioning sessions on the track.

The Tarrant County medical examiner's office said a congenital heart condition caused his death.

Family, friends and community members packed the school auditorium Monday to honor Boatwright at his funeral. School dismissed at 1 p.m. so students could attend the 2 p.m. funeral.

On the stage, Boatwright's letter jacket was draped over the closed end of his casket. Attendees moved across the stage to pay their respects before two men closed the casket and the service began.

Four coaches and two players spoke about Boatwright's character from a podium with Boatwright's football team picture on the front. Assistant coach Dale Matlock said that when everman's Corey Fulbright, a 2003 graduate, was paralyzed from the neck down after making a hit in the Class 3A, Division I title game last season, Boatwright wanted to help.

At a school benefit, Boatwright gave up his 2002 state championship ring for auction.

"Even though they're telling us his heart was injured, those of us who knew him know he had a huge heart," tight ends coach Erik McGuffin said. "He had a heart made of gold.

"He was carefree and happy that morning," McGuffin said, referring to last Thursday. "He was not aware of any problem and did not suffer in any way."

At the end of the hour 15-minute ceremony, Boatwright's girlfriend, Crystal Moreno, recalled that on the night before Boatwright's death, he had asked her to sing to him. She couldn't because of a sore throat, but he made her promise she would soon.

"I always keep my promises," she said.

She turned to the coffin and sang the Jessica Andrews song "Never Be Forgotten." When she finished, she paused.

"I love you, Craig," she said.

E-mail knagel@dallasnews.com

big3afan
10-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know how the coach that was with him is holding up. Got to be a terrible thing to go thru.

Matthew328
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
From what I saw Coach McGuffin seemed to be holding up well...he spoke at the funeral and was fairly composed...all the Everman coaches have been through a lot and they are doing a wonderful job....they have my total repsect and admiration....

Ranger Mom
10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
That write-up sent chills up my spine and made me break out in goose bumps.

VERY Touching!!

bulldog65
10-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Amen, Matt! I'm so proud of our Coaches,teachers and administrators. They have held up extremely well under incredible circumstances these past ten months. It warmed my heart to hear that Craig had accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. I couldn't stop the tears when Coach Mcguffin said Craig was excited and yelling before the workout, he was happy it was his last day, not to run, but to get up early. It really got to me when Craig told Coach,"Come on old man, let's do this", and took off running. Thanks to everyone for their support and all the kind posts.

BrahmaMom
10-22-2003, 06:46 PM
I guess Craig, Corey, the team, coaching staff and community are giving us great examples of the heart of champions. God Bless.

Tanglefoot
10-22-2003, 07:27 PM
The thought of losing a child is almost more than I can stand. Knowing coaches the way that I do, losing a player is very close to losing a child. The Everman coaches and players have my deepest sympathy and concern.