PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the end of the Tech-New Mexico game?

bwdlionfan
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I grew up a longhorn fan but always rooted for the red raiders as my #2 team. Lately my liking for tech has diminished for certain reasons that I won't go in to... but, I thought Tech's scoring with no time left in the 4th quarter was classless. Tech didn't even have to snap the ball for another play, up 42-28, the clock was ticking and Tech hurried to the line to run one more play and score. Then, with no time on the clock, you don't HAVE to kick the extra point. The officials were already heading off the field (according to one of the announcers) but Tech elected to kick the extra point (of which New Mexico blocked).

Did anyone else think this was classless?

LE Dad
10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I grew up a longhorn fan but always rooted for the red raiders as my #2 team. Lately my liking for tech has diminished for certain reasons that I won't go in to... but, I thought Tech's scoring with no time left in the 4th quarter was classless. Tech didn't even have to snap the ball for another play, up 42-28, the clock was ticking and Tech hurried to the line to run one more play and score. Then, with no time on the clock, you don't HAVE to kick the extra point. The officials were already heading off the field (according to one of the announcers) but Tech elected to kick the extra point (of which New Mexico blocked).

Did anyone else think this was classless? Before last year I would have answered Yes, but since everyone made a big deal over the # of points Oklahoma scored, I expect to see a lot more of this. Margin of victory seems to be the key and coaches are going to pile on the points. :thinking:

jlwttu
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
The onside kick by New Mexico with less than a minute left shows me they were still trying to score, so why should Tech quit? I don't have a problem with it and I wouldn't expect New Mexico to quit if they were on the goal line either.

bwdlionfan
10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Before last year I would have answered Yes, but since everyone made a big deal over the # of points Oklahoma scored, I expect to see a lot more of this. Margin of victory seems to be the key and coaches are going to pile on the points. :thinking:

What you said entered my mind, but at the same time... does beating New Mexico by 14 or 20 really make a difference this early in the year for a 2-2 Tech team? I think Tech's bowl game selection will solely depend on their conference finish this year and not style points.

TexMike
10-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I did not see it but are you saying Tech scored a TD as time expired in the 4th qtr? If so, then the officials screwed up as the NCAA rules say there should be no extra point attempt in a situation like that.

(There is a UIL exception however which says the try will be played if the game is between teams in a district where positive points are used as a tiebreaker)

bwdlionfan
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
I did not see it but are you saying Tech scored a TD as time expired in the 4th qtr? If so, then the officials screwed up as the NCAA rules say there should be no extra point attempt in a situation like that.

(There is a UIL exception however which says the try will be played if the game is between teams in a district where positive points are used as a tiebreaker)

That's correct Mike... Tech scored with no time on the clock and the officials were heading off the field. They then came back on and let Tech attempt the PAT.

marler1972
10-04-2009, 07:24 AM
if i read right about the game NM had a onside kick and Tech ran it to the one yd line. Ran two plays and scored as time expired. No problem with it. Would you feel the same way if it was the longhorns against the aggies and texas did the same thing and scored with no time left. Mack would do it too.

JasperDog94
10-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
Mack would do it too. No he wouldn't. His track record proves it. I've seen Mack take delay of game penalties to keep from scoring late in the game on more than one occasion.

The game was won and all they had to do was kneel down. What would have served them right is to have fumbled the ball and had NM run it all the way back for a touchdown. There's no excuse for running up the score like that. The game is over. Take a knee and be thankful for the win.

BwdLion73
10-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Up 42-28 I say let the kids deploy the victory set that they rarely get to practice. Take a knee shake hands and know you could have made it worse.
Just my opinion since you ask.:thinking:

skins4life
10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
if i read right about the game NM had a onside kick and Tech ran it to the one yd line. Ran two plays and scored as time expired. No problem with it. Would you feel the same way if it was the longhorns against the aggies and texas did the same thing and scored with no time left. Mack would do it too.

I don't think he would if the Horns were up by 14.

sinton66
10-04-2009, 09:52 AM
What you said entered my mind, but at the same time... does beating New Mexico by 14 or 20 really make a difference this early in the year for a 2-2 Tech team? I think Tech's bowl game selection will solely depend on their conference finish this year and not style points.

Unfortunately, I think LE Dad is correct. Look at the BCS from the last few years. Oklahoma last year got into the BCS championship with "style" points. USC does it every year. IMO, that's a fallacy in the BCS system, but that's what we've been force-fed.

JasperDog94
10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Oklahoma last year got into the BCS championship with "style" points. No worries about that this year.;)

WildTexan972
10-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Did anyone else think this was classless?

you don't see well do you....the holder bobbled the snap on the EP - it was not blocked....Leach rarely if ever takes a knee so to whine about him running plays is nuts - he does that in every game....if UNM did not want them to score, all they had to do was STOP THEM....

LionKing
10-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
you don't see well do you....the holder bobbled the snap on the EP - it was not blocked....Leach rarely if ever takes a knee so to whine about him running plays is nuts - he does that in every game....if UNM did not want them to score, all they had to do was STOP THEM.... That's the reason no ones beatin the doors down to hire Leach, and why their players twitter, and why Tech will continue to be a 3rd to 4th place Big 12 South team.

NastySlot
10-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Unfortunately, I think LE Dad is correct. Look at the BCS from the last few years. Oklahoma last year got into the BCS championship with "style" points. USC does it every year. IMO, that's a fallacy in the BCS system, but that's what we've been force-fed.

if you need to get style points against a winless team....you re probably not as good as you think...........i saw the game replay......tech did what tech does.....and it is true they didn't need to score.

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
As a longtime noncomformist, that part of me loves Leach, but I also understand the "he has no class" argument.

Mack Brown strikes me as too much like a game show host at times, but I can't fault his record at UT. The only time I was really angry with him was when he was obviously (seriously) "in love" with Chris Simms. Major Applewhite has every reason to resent how he was treated that year to this day.