PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers @ Yoakum Bulldogs

CueroDad08
10-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I do think this game will be close early. But I do think the Gobblers will turn it on second half. Would love to see em get off to a fast start. Anyone care to post what they think in this one?

Pudlugger
10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
I do think this game will be close early. But I do think the Gobblers will turn it on second half. Would love to see em get off to a fast start. Anyone care to post what they think in this one?

Last week I might have agreed with you but after Smithville hung 57 on them well.... It would seem that Yoakum has a problem with containment of speedy teams. Cuero will blow them out. No team in D28 will hang with Cuero. The Gobblers will not be tested until round two or three in the play offs imo.

sinton66
10-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I wonder if Yoakum had a bunch out with the flu or something last night. Even if that, Cuero is still too much for them.

44INAROW
10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Last week I might have agreed with you but after Smithville hung 57 on them well.... It would seem that Yoakum has a problem with containment of speedy teams. Cuero will blow them out. No team in D28 will hang with Cuero. The Gobblers will not be tested until round two or three in the play offs imo.

Cuero vs Yoakum - I hope it's not the Bulldog's homecoming ;) seriously - you can throw records and rankings out the window when these two play - Yoakum will throw everything they have against the Gobblers :)

I think Edna is going to give Cuero a good game. You know I don't predict Cuero scores, but this will be better than most think.. (I am pretty sure Cowboy Up will agree with me) :)

Gobbler Fan
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I seem to remember a wrestling match at midfield last season that had a couple of good WWE takedowns which = ejections for both teams . So it could get interesting but I think Cuero will be to much for Yoakum ....Gobblers by 14 :cool:

CueroDad08
10-03-2009, 09:31 PM
This Yoakum team has alot of SRs that are really tired of getting beat by Cuero. That alone will keep this close for awhile. The longer the Dogs hang around the more they will think they have a shot. Cuero will need to get off to a real fast start and make them play from behind all night. And if I was in D25 I would look out from any team on any given night. I see all of them thinking they have a shot each and every night. I could not pick the 3 teams that will make the playoffs right now for sure. Smithville may be alot better than everyone thinks.

zebrablue2
10-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Cuero by a bunch!!!

sinton66
10-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Rivalry games are always hard to predict, but I still think Cuero has too much for Yoakum.

1st and goal
10-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I seem to remember a wrestling match at midfield last season that had a couple of good WWE takedowns which = ejections for both teams . So it could get interesting but I think Cuero will be to much for Yoakum ....Gobblers by 14 :cool:

You must be mistaken, many here say only Giddings gets into altercations....;) ;) ;)

Anyway, nobody will test Cuero unless the team gets the flu. They will roll into the playoffs. Teams would be crazy to schedule Cuero as their homecoming this year.

Go Mean Green!

Green Bling
10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Hope no one gets hurt in this one. Rivalry games can always be iffy, but Cuero owns the second half.

44INAROW
10-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Teams would be crazy to schedule Cuero as their homecoming this year.

Go Mean Green!

that would be the Sharks of Palacios I can't wait :D

pirate4state
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
You must be mistaken, many here say only Giddings gets into altercations....;) ;) ;)

Not the only ones, just more than others. hehe

Oh and Cuero by as much as they want!

12thMan
10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Baycity scheduled us for their homecomming as well. Cuero should win big and I see Trent running wild.

Cowboy_Up
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I've seen both teams play and feel Cuero has too much talent, speed and skill for Yoakum.
The Bulldogs fill out their uniforms that's for sure. They are the biggest 3A team I've seen and I'd hate to have to hold them on 4th and short to win. Problem is they don't have much speed and they seem to either get blown out by more athletic teams or bull doze weaker undersized teams.
Cuero will be the best team they've seen and barring a bad night by Arndt (when was the last time that happened?) throwing pics or Jackson droppping the ball the 'dogs are way over matched in this one.
Cuero will hang at least 45 on the 'dogs.

gobbler grad
10-04-2009, 07:44 PM
don't see anyone in our district keeping up with us...Edna will be the best game, though...as for this week, Yoakum will hang for a quarter or 2, but then Gobblers run away after 2nd half...Cuero must keep everyone HEALTHY to continue deep into the playoffs...should be a great game 2 or 3 rounds into playoffs...:thinking:

Cowboy_Up
10-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I think Edna is going to give Cuero a good game. You know I don't predict Cuero scores, but this will be better than most think.. (I am pretty sure Cowboy Up will agree with me) :)

Not drawing me into any Cuero/Edna talk;)
For that game to mean anything for us we need to take care of business first and that starts with Gonzales.

Hopefully we'll hold up our end and we'll have something to debate in 5 weeks.

Nursebetty
10-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Cuero vs Yoakum - I hope it's not the Bulldog's homecoming ;) seriously - you can throw records and rankings out the window when these two play - Yoakum will throw everything they have against the Gobblers :)

44.....I went to the Refugio/Edna game..it really didnt get exciting until the 4th quarter.......

not sure how good of a game Edna will give Cuero.....but on the other hand, anything can happen on any given night....so we shall see!

29-3aFAN
10-04-2009, 11:31 PM
If Yoakum plays all 4 qrters it will be a damn good game. The question is, will they?

hookandladder
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Cuero wins this by 3 or 4 Td's atleast, I think this Cuero team may end winning it all this year. The QB is a stud and their RB can take it to the house just about any time he touches the ball . I think Tyler ( QB ) will be unstoppable all year long, he is so comfortable bach there he looks like a man among boys. My only question mark with this team is their depth. Just my .02.

Cowboy_Up
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
... The (Cuero) QB is a stud and their RB can take it to the house just about any time he touches the ball . I think Tyler ( QB ) will be unstoppable all year long, he is so comfortable back there he looks like a man among boys. My only question mark with this team is their depth. Just my .02.

Hook, I 2nd what you say. Tyler Arndt is far and away the best player I've seen this year. He is so smooth and yet decisive he makes it look easy. Not a lot of flash just great play.
The blueprint for beating Cuero is to keep their O off the field and wear down the D as they are not especially deep. Lots of kids going both ways, but it'll take a very tough and strong team to wear those kids down as there is no quit in the Gobblers. La Vernia looked like they might be wearing down the Gobblers a bit and then…boom… 21 points, three D stops and it was all she wrote.
The Gobblers have the look of a team on a mission.

12thMan
10-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Hook, I 2nd what you say. Tyler Arndt is far and away the best player I've seen this year. He is so smooth and yet decisive he makes it look easy. Not a lot of flash just great play.
The blueprint for beating Cuero is to keep their O off the field and wear down the D as they are not especially deep. Lots of kids going both ways, but it'll take a very tough and strong team to wear those kids down as there is no quit in the Gobblers. La Vernia looked like they might be wearing down the Gobblers a bit and then…boom… 21 points, three D stops and it was all she wrote.
The Gobblers have the look of a team on a mission.

The Gobblers are on a mission. I have said this before, this is a different team than we've seen in the past here in Cuero. Not nocking the great teams in the last few years, but this team really plays together. They are motivated to win like no other team in the state.

underware
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I was at the Smithville game and the answer is......Nope

Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
If Yoakum plays all 4 qrters it will be a damn good game. The question is, will they?

29-3aFAN
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by underware
I was at the Smithville game and the answer is......Nope . What was the deal with the 1st half. I didn't get to listen to it until the 2nd half.

giddings4life88
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Smithville shredded their pass defense, and got them down early, they gave up a ton of yards through the air. Seems like all week they were preparing for the run, and smithville came out flinging it, and had a lot of success.

GreenMachine
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Cuero is a defensive coordinators worst nightmare. Great QB, Great RB, Great TEAM. Stop the pass and Trent beats you with the run. Stop the run and Tyler beat you with the pass. A lot of weapons!!!

underware
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
You know? I have no idea what happened? They actually looked better at the La Grange Game. Smithville came out running and there is no speed on Yoakum side. And they don't look like they're in any kind of hurry? I am not going to the Yoakum/Cuero game. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, I think I'll crash the Rehearsal Dinner! Go Dogs!

. What was the deal with the 1st half. I didn't get to listen to it until the 2nd half.

headhunter
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Cuero will be way to much for the Bulldogs. This game as well as the rest of the district should not even be close. Cuero can hang 50+ points on any team if they want. Note the key word is if they want. Play calling and sportsmanship play a factor. Reeve does not like to score more than 49. There is no one in the district that can match-up with Cuero. Not even those Edna Cowboys who play those 2A schools and have a winning record.

I am not sure Edna, Yoakum and the rest of the district realize how fast Cuero is and speed kills because CUeo gets to practice at that speed all week and the other teams don't. On top of that they execute very well. They hardly ever hurt themselves. If Arndt would ever get the chance to throw more than 20 passes a game then he would probaly have 400+ yards passing. If Cuero chooses to and stays healthy they have a shot to be 13-0 and be in a great position to win it all this year.

I know alot of you Gobbler fans do not want to be over confident and want to be a good sport about it but if we do play a close game in the next five weeks then the Gobblers are in trouble. It's not that the rest of the district ithat week, it's just that Cuero is that good of a TEAM.

In 2007 many thought the district was weak as well when Cuero blew everyone out. That proved to be false as our district had 9 wins in the playoffs.

Cowboy_Up
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Why does this have to turn into a bash Edna thread? Yes, we're 3A, right now, but every school we've played is much closer to us in enrollment then Cuero will be. And besides that, why do you care who we play? And show me where anyone from Edna said anything about this Cuero team that wasn't positive.
You don't have the first damn clue what anyone in Edna realizes or thinks.
When we play Cuero we'll show up and play hard, I promise you that. But that is five weeks away and we have a lot of work to do first. So why don't you can the Edna talk until then.

Cowboy_Up
10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
And on top of that the schedule we currently play was put together by a member of your coaching staff. A guy who lied to our kids and lied to this community. When he made the schedule he already had one foot in the door at Cuero even though he was telling anyone who would listen that his kids would graduate from Cuero and he wouldn’t coach again as he was going into Admin...
We would have loved to play some good 3A teams, but we didn’t have a choice.

JT44
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like there's some hard feeling towards that coach. Wasn't he the ad in edna before coming to Cuero?
Edna does have some studs, especially the qb Kam Jones, but Cuero has to deal with Willie Market and Trey Heights this week.

headhunter
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't get all rowled up Cowboy-Up, I was just making my case that many people think that Yoakum may hang in and make a game out of it. And I am telling you that them as well as all the other teams in the district won't.

1. Cuero
2. Edna
3. Yoakum

Those are your playoff teams in that order. The other teams are evern worse. The truth is none of these teams are on Cuero's level and it is mind blowing to think that some people actually think these teams will hang with Cuero and make a game out of it. I thin they are just trying not to sound over confident and taking one game at a time. I like that, BUT I will also be truthful and tell you that there is not one team in the district that can actually hang with the Gobblers.

underware
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't know? I really don't see Yoakum making the payoffs. It's Gonzales. Unless.......naw, it will be the Apaches.

Originally posted by headhunter
Don't get all rowled up Cowboy-Up, I was just making my case that many people think that Yoakum may hang in and make a game out of it. And I am telling you that them as well as all the other teams in the district won't.

1. Cuero
2. Edna
3. Yoakum

Those are your playoff teams in that order. The other teams are evern worse. The truth is none of these teams are on Cuero's level and it is mind blowing to think that some people actually think these teams will hang with Cuero and make a game out of it. I thin they are just trying not to sound over confident and taking one game at a time. I like that, BUT I will also be truthful and tell you that there is not one team in the district that can actually hang with the Gobblers.

rojosgirl
10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Sad, but true. Football is like a religion in Cuero and everybody knows it. Would be nice if there was some more competition across the board in the district.

Gobblers roll . . . . .

BB21
10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Your right football is religion in Cuero, until they meet at team from district 25 or 26 and then they will be done! Even if they can get past one of those teams, they will always lose to a team out of region 3. Cuero will always be ranked high and think they are such a great team until they get matched up with one of those teams. They will never win another state championship and they may never make it back to state. They are a good region 4 team and thats it!!!

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BB21
Your right football is religion in Cuero, until they meet at team from district 25 or 26 and then they will be done!
yea ok - lol...... what's happened last time Cuero has met any team from D25 or D26? please enlighten me :rolleyes:

teetle
10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Thes game will bes only as close as Coach Reeves wants it to bes.Gobblers are going to blow Yoakum away. Theys just to strong. Watck out here they come:eek: :eek: :eek:

hookandladder
10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Your right football is religion in Cuero, until they meet at team from district 25 or 26 and then they will be done! Even if they can get past one of those teams, they will always lose to a team out of region 3. Cuero will always be ranked high and think they are such a great team until they get matched up with one of those teams. They will never win another state championship and they may never make it back to state. They are a good region 4 team and thats it!!!

You do not have a clue, Cuero will be one of the last standing teams in 3A.No team from D-26 would stand a chance against Cuero.

hookandladder
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't know? I really don't see Yoakum making the payoffs. It's Gonzales. Unless.......naw, it will be the Apaches.

Gonzales will not make the playoffs, Yoakum will.

BB21
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Okay Cuero fans...when was Cuero's last state run? please enlighten me there! I used those two districts because they use to be region 3 and Cuero can never get passed anyone from those regions. Im just saying if you go back and look, everytime cuero meets a region 3 team, they get donkey punched!! just stating the facts guys!

pirate4state
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
This is gonna be fun. I love history lessons.

2004: Cuero loses to Wylie in the D1 state finals 14-17
not exactly a donkey stomp and in the semi's defeated Region III champ Palestine 27-17

2005: Cuero loses to Hutto in the DII state semi finals 21-23
again, no stomping going on

2006: Cuero loses to Wimberley in the DII region IV semi finals 33-55
okay, this was a stomping, but it was at the hands of a Region IV team

2007: Cuero loses to Region III champ, China Spring in the DII state semi finals 14-37.

2008: Cuero loses to Region III champ, La Vega in the DI state semi finals 21-41.

I guess these are the 2 games you are referring to since they are the most recent, so in the past 5 years they are 2 for 2 in donkey stomping/punching against Region III teams.

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Okay Cuero fans...when was Cuero's last state run? please enlighten me there! I used those two districts because they use to be region 3 and Cuero can never get passed anyone from those regions. Im just saying if you go back and look, everytime cuero meets a region 3 team, they get donkey punched!! just stating the facts guys!
what do you define as a State run? Being a Regional Finalist? - yea - we haven't won the big one but we have given valiant efforts -can your team say that? you and I both know that answer! But you never answered my question - you skated by it but never answered it. You used those two districts and I asked what happened?

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

not exactly a donkey stomp and in the semi's defeated Region III champ Palestine 27-17

2007: Cuero loses to Region III champ, China Spring in the DII state semi finals 14-37.

2008: Cuero loses to Region III champ, La Vega in the DI state semi finals 21-41.

I guess these are the 2 games you are referring to since they are the most recent, so in the past 5 years they are 2 for 2 in donkey stomping/punching against Region III teams.
thanks you beat me to the punch lol dang customers - :) and -04 and 05 were both settled in the last 10 seconds.. No excuse on 2006 - got our butts kicked :( Same thing with China Spring and I won't comment on La Vega.. All in all - I'd say a pretty good record - would I like to see a Championship -= you dang right, so would every other Gobbler fan - but BB you are barking up the wrong tree here. I'll go toe to toe with you on this one. Like I said in a previous thread - let's hear your teams accomplishments? I am still waiting

BB21
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Hutto was also a region 3 team when they beat cuero! well since those districts where region 3 they didnt play, but i know wharton beat them in the first round one year. I never said cuero wasnt a good team and they didnt give effort, all im saying is they cant get past the good teams and yes they did one year! Great Job!!

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Hutto was also a region 3 team when they beat cuero! well since those districts where region 3 they didnt play, but i know wharton beat them in the first round one year. I never said cuero wasnt a good team and they didnt give effort, all im saying is they cant get past the good teams and yes they did one year! Great Job!!

Cuero beat LH (Region 3 team by the way) the 1st year they won a state championship! Wharton beat Cuero in 2003 - last second field goal but yes they beat Cuero. Digging deep - that was 6 years ago :doh: Like I said - what's your team's record?

BB21
10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Im not worried about my record! Im not going sit here talk highly on my team like they are some powerful weapon! All Im saying is that Cuero wont win another state championship or maybe even make it there. Cuero will always be a great region 4 team, but never a great Texas team! Plus the only team yall have played this year is La Vernia! The rest of the teams have been horrible! Rio Hondo and Bay City! COME ON!!!

BB21
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
By the way when was there last state chamionship? And you want to talk about digging deep!!

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Im not worried about my record!

By the way when was there last state chamionship? And you want to talk about digging deep!!

THEIR (Cuero's) last championship was in 1987, we lost close games but lost nonethe less in 1993 to Southlake Carroll and in 1998 to Aledo and 2004 to A Wylie - all 3 very respected programs. -

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I think Cuero is 10-3 against Reg 3 teams in the Semi Finals

When was the last time either of your blue teams even got past Reg Finals? Better yet.......... never mind, I won't go there, I respect your AD too much to "go there"

Good Luck to your team. Tell your "boss" I said hi, he knows me well.

Sorry to "hijack" this thread. Back to the original subject.

GO MEAN GREEN :)

underware
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I grew up in Yoakum, so I've only known Cuero as the bad guy. Saying that football is a Religion is a bit much. They have a great Baseball and Track tradition. I think boy golf also. Now the girls teams do not fair as well. But they have great fans and community support. I travel to Cuero just to get a burger from KN or on my way to Victoria. That being said. Go Bulldogs!

headhunter
10-06-2009, 04:28 PM
BB21 Don't start a battle you can't win.

Come in with some stats or some concrete evidence that Cuero can't get to a state title. They are 10-4 I think against Region III since 1970 in the playoffs. (10 title appearances, 2nd most in the state in all classifications)

I will agree with you on one thing only. We have been outpreformed in three out of our last four semi finals. You must be young, You need to remember that you can't really base your predictions off of past years teams. New group, new leaders, and a new season. The only way to get to state is through Region III and Cuero has no problem doing it.

One thing about Cuero that is different then nearly anywhere else in the state is - Since 1970 the town, the players, the coaches expect to be in the state championship game EVERY YEAR. That is wht is expected!!!

Gobbler-Buck
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
BB21 Don't start a battle you can't win.

dittos

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
BB21 is probably right... won't make the title game... not this decade anyway... the pattern speaks for itself...

4 championship games in the 70s
3 in the 80s
2 in the 90s
and 1 in the '00s...

have already had our one for the '00s

so we'll see it 4 times next decade maybe or do we go back to zero?

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
BB21 reminds me of a hardhead catfish... you throw bait on the bottom to catch what you want to, but then this nasty turd that'll eat anything comes along and takes your fun away...

good thing about it is you just beat it over the ground over and over again while it's still on your hook... then throw it out in the water and watch it float out to sea without anyone really giving a damn...

44INAROW
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
BB21 reminds me of a hardhead catfish... you throw bait on the bottom to catch what you want to, but then this nasty turd that'll eat anything comes along and takes your fun away...

good thing about it is you just beat it over the ground over and over again while it's still on your hook... then throw it out in the water and watch it float out to sea without anyone really giving a damn...

you're so funny D :D

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
So, BB21, tell us a little bit about your team... you know, the one with all of the titles and stuff you hate on Cuero for not having...

??????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????

Gobbla2001
10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I used those two districts because they use to be region 3

didn't Cuero blow out a team from one of those districts in the playoffs last year?

or are you just that st.st.st.ignorant?

Cowboy_Up
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
it is mind blowing to think that some people actually think these teams will hang with Cuero and make a game out of it

Well, we'll sure keep all that in mind.

29-3aFAN
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
The field should be sloppy after 11-14 inches of rain and more coming. Can't wait for the mud bowl.

Footballhudini
10-07-2009, 01:55 AM
rain will definitely slow down the gobblers. im taking the bulldogs by 4

BB21
10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Boy yall are getting as bad as Bellville fans! Yall get all BUTT hurt when someone gives there opinion about your team! yall talk crap about everyone elses team and dont expect them to get mad at yall, but when someone comments on yalls, yall start crying and whinning!! Get over it!!!

44INAROW
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Boy yall are getting as bad as Bellville fans! Yall get all BUTT hurt when someone gives there opinion about your team! yall talk crap about everyone elses team and dont expect them to get mad at yall, but when someone comments on yalls, yall start crying and whinning!! Get over it!!!
you just don't know when to quit :p I am challenging you to show me ONE TIME I have talked messed about another team - ONE TIME PLEASE. I called you on something and you still haven't answered it. I told you - I'd go toe to toe with you on this one. I DO NOT talk mess about other teams, quite the contrary. I am NOT BUTT HURT over anything. I just rebutted your statement in your 1st post. We're not crying and whining - just taking up for our team, nothing wrong with that!

The field should be sloppy after 11-14 inches of rain and more coming. Can't wait for the mud bowl.
no joke about the wet field and it looks like it might get wetter - just hope no one gets hurt - soggy fields scare me in that respect

BB21
10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
LOL!!! ah got to love Cuero! Good Luck to the Gobblers this year! Maybe they can prove me wrong and get to state!!

bleacherbum
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
So basically cliff notes of this thread:

BB21 makes an asinine statement which he can't defend with any historical evidence. He is called out on this and when he still can't defend his original statement, he says good luck Gobblers. :clap:

BB21
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
called out!!! yall have got killed the last couple of years by region 3 and i cant defend it. yall sit there and say that im digging deep and then yall want to talk about what happened in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Looks like yall are living in the past!!!

44INAROW
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
called out!!! yall have got killed the last couple of years by region 3 and i cant defend it. yall sit there and say that im digging deep and then yall want to talk about what happened in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Looks like yall are living in the past!!!
you just don't get it.. Guys/Gals - I'm done with this guy - I just wish we went east instead of west 1st round. I love this talk from someone who's most likely NEVER been past the 2nd round -slamming a team that's been in the final 4 - 4 out of last 5 years. Unbelieveble :doh: BB21, out of respect to your AD, I am not going to post about this anymore.

GO MEAN GREEN :clap: :clap:

BB21
10-07-2009, 09:03 AM
My AD? Obviously you dont know who I am like you think you do!

bleacherbum
10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
First you say:

Your right football is religion in Cuero, until they meet at team from district 25 or 26 and then they will be done!

Well lets just take a look back shall we. Cuero's last loss to a team from either district was in the '03 playoffs to Wharton 32-29. Now lets take a look at their record versus D25 and D26 since then.

Cuero beats Sealy 20-0
Cuero beats LaGrange 34-0
Cuero beats Columbia 21-7

Cuero beats LaGrange 41-0
Cuero beats Wharton 29-28
Cuero beats Sealy 48-30
Cuero beats Sweeney 34-12

Im starting to sense a trend here, but hey lets keep going, since we want to keep things recent.

Cuero beats Stafford 49-7

Cuero beats Stafford 61-3

Cuero beats Sealy 56-24

So in the last five seasons Cuero is 10-0 against teams from District 25 and District 26. Then you went on to say:

Im just saying if you go back and look, everytime cuero meets a region 3 team, they get donkey punched!!

At which time you were summarily proven wrong thanks to posts by Pirate4State and headhunter etc. filled with actual facts to back up statement. Here is one now:

Cuero is 10-4 in playoff games against your Region III powerhouses since the 70's. So as I said earlier, you made an asinine statement with no facts to back it up.

rojosgirl
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Gobbler fans are passionate about their football team. There are many others out there who feel the same way about their respective teams. NO HARM DONE!
We all get a little "testy" when others attack our teams for no apparant reason. Jealousy, however, is a big reason why folks come down on the Gobblers, Rattlers, Panthers, or whoever else they back. Be a homer and back your team, or not. Just don't criticize those of us who do. Even one trip to the state championship is more than MOST teams will ever get. Win or loose, it's still a grand experience!

:D

BB21
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Your right rojo! Well said! :clap:

OldBison75
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree rojosgirl, the trip to a state final is a great experience. Several years ago, Navasota played Cuero in Cuero in an early season game and lost, I believe 8-6. We started a freshman QB and a Sophmore RB in that game and they played above expectations. No one had given that Rattler team a chance in hell of staying on the field with Cuero that year and even though we lost, the kids came together in that game and began believing in themselves. To make a long story short, we advanced to the State Championship game that year and got whipped by Southlake Carrol.

My point is that even when Cuero is not in the State Championship, they are most often a factor in the run to the state title. Every year they can say that the road to the title for Region 3 & 4 will eventually go through Cuero. There are not many teams that can say that yearly. AND, I can count on one hand the number of times Cuero has been stomped by anyone. They might lose some games, but they are always competitive. Scores don't always tell the whole story of the game and everybody that plays Cuero knows they have been in a battle.

buff4ever
10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
sad how some years a rival just can't live up to its normal expectations.

This game won't be close

bleacherbum
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Agreed buff4ever. Rivalry games are something special, and well there just not as fun when both teams aren't up to par.

Oh and BB21 Im still waiting on those facts about Cuero losing to D25 and D26 or getting "donkey punched" by Region III teams every time we face them.

Gobbla2001
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Well in his defense, when Liberty Hill was Region 3 in '07 they donkey punched us... well, actually it was a close game for the most part... but when they were still Region 3 in '06, and won their first title, Cuero was one of their only losses... the other coming from another Region 4 team.... that is now a Region 1 team... still can't get over that...

CHSVARSITYDAD
10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey BB21 go get a Manpon for that Mangina and find another thread to get off on!!!!!

Gobbla2001
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Hmmm... if the calculations are correct (and maybe this has been posted already), this is the 100th game in the rivalry...

underware
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
My Dad called.....his paper has Cuero by 35

44INAROW
10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
www.cuerorecord.com

Gobblers and Bulldogs to renew state's 2nd oldest rivalry

by Richard Morton, Record Sports
Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:13 AM CDT

As Cuero spent the last week preparing for another Turkeyfest celebration, the Cuero Gobblers were hard at work preparing to open district play on the road against the rival Yoakum Bulldogs. The Gobblers and Bulldogs are set to take the field in the second longest rivalry in Texas high school football, in a series dating back to 1911. Cuero has dominated the series as of late, taking seven straight from Yoakum since a 10-3 loss in 2001. The Gobblers also hold the all-time series lead 64-29-6.

Entering district play, the Gobblers have rolled through the non-district portion of their schedule to the tune of a 5-0 record, and outscoring opponents by a combined score of 193 - 51. The Gobbler offense leads District 28-3A with 1091 rushing yards and 833 passing yards through five games, for an average of 348.8 yards per game. The Bulldogs enter the rivalry game, standing 2-3 on the season and ranked third offensively in District 28-3A with 993 rushing and 392 passing yards, for an average of 277 yards per game.

Senior quarterback Tyler Arndt enters the game as the districts highest rated field general completing 70 percent of his passes for 811 yards and 10 touchdowns to only 1 interception. The always dangerous sophomore running back Trent Jackson has accumulated 638 yards on 73 carries to lead the district. Averaging 8.74 yards per carry, Jackson has found the end-zone nine times.

Yoakum running back Trey Heights narrowly trails the district leader Jackson, with 586 yards on 70 carries. Heights is averaging 8.37 yards per carry and has found pay dirt 11 times thus far this season. Bulldog quarterback William Markert begins district play completing just 43 percent of his passes for 392 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Through five games, the Gobbler defense is also tops in District 28-3A, while the Bulldogs enter the contest third in District 28-3A. The Gobblers have allowed just 51 points this year coming on 681 rushing and 273 passing yards allowed. Averaging 190 yards allowed, the Gobblers have consistently won the turnover battle with 4 fumble recoveries and 4 interceptions. Through the first five games, Yoakum has given up 760 rushing and 905 passing yards for an average of 333 yards allowed. The Bulldogs have also managed to stay ahead in the turnover department, recovering 5 fumbles and snagging 7 interceptions.

The annual meeting of the Gobblers and Bulldogs is set to kickoff at 7:30 pm. Friday night at Bulldog Stadium in Yoakum. The Bulldogs will seek to avenge last seasons 49-14 loss, and claim a victory over the Gobblers for just the third time this decade. The Gobblers will be looking to move to 6-0 on the year, as well as establishing a firm hold on District 28-3A as they hope to bring home their seventh straight district championship without a loss.

12thMan
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope BB21 is done making himself look like a fool. There will always be somebody who is jealous and wishes they had a chance to have a football program like Cuero's.

Cuero fans and players respect every team we play. There are only a handfull of teams that we just don't like.

Global Swarming
10-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Anybody that loses to a team like Smithville has absolutely no chance to beat Cuero.

29-3aFAN
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Anybody that loses to a team like Smithville has absolutely no chance to beat Cuero.

Does Smithville suck that bad?

Cowboy_Up
10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming

Do you think Yoakum should even show up? It is at home for the dogs, they could probably just sneak in and pull a fuse and say the lights don't work. What do you think?

Gobbler Fan
10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
you might want to give their Coach a call and let him know what the plan is ... might be the only way it stays close

:devil:I'm just kidding of course ;)

Nursebetty
10-07-2009, 08:59 PM
lovin this thread! Cuero has proved themselves year after year after year. And several folks included data to prove that. Simply put...CUERO is a class act ON and OFF the field!!! :)

XtremeCouture
10-07-2009, 09:11 PM
i understand that cuero haters point about cuero fans feeling like cuero is all that a bag of potato chips and obviously year and after year cuero fans are proven wrong by a team from a different region. but seriously, cuero is a very competitive team and to consistently be in a position to play for a state championship is an accomplishment that can not be ignored.

CueroDad08
10-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I sure am glad the Cuero staff and the kids dont think the way most everyone on here thinks. As I said early in the year. This will be a battle. you all can look at who played who and who beat who. Bottom line is these two teams do not like each when they meet each year. Yoakum has alot of Srs on the team, and this game will be a battle of alot of years built up on one night at home. The longer this game stays close, the harder it will be for Cuero to pull away. This game will be 10 points or less. Not because they are two even teams on paper. But because both have so much to prove. These are kids lets not forget. Yoakum will be ready to play untill the last play is over. From what I have seen in practice this week in Cuero, Yoakum will need to bring there A game. And I am sure they will. Cuero will be ready.

Cowboy_Up
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Dad, you've nailed it. Yes, Cuero is a clear and heavy favorite, but Yoakum WANTS to play this game even though no one gives them a chance. Only a fool takes victory for granted.

29-3aFAN
10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I sure am glad the Cuero staff and the kids dont think the way most everyone on here thinks. As I said early in the year. This will be a battle. you all can look at who played who and who beat who. Bottom line is these two teams do not like each when they meet each year. Yoakum has alot of Srs on the team, and this game will be a battle of alot of years built up on one night at home. The longer this game stays close, the harder it will be for Cuero to pull away. This game will be 10 points or less. Not because they are two even teams on paper. But because both have so much to prove. These are kids lets not forget. Yoakum will be ready to play untill the last play is over. From what I have seen in practice this week in Cuero, Yoakum will need to bring there A game. And I am sure they will. Cuero will be ready.
I hope Yoakum brings their A game because I want to see a good game, lol

44INAROW
10-07-2009, 10:37 PM
nice post Cuero Dad -

GO MEAN GREEN

KingRob
10-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Gobbler fans are passionate about their football team. There are many others out there who feel the same way about their respective teams. NO HARM DONE!
We all get a little "testy" when others attack our teams for no apparant reason. Jealousy, however, is a big reason why folks come down on the Gobblers, Rattlers, Panthers, or whoever else they back. Be a homer and back your team, or not. Just don't criticize those of us who do. Even one trip to the state championship is more than MOST teams will ever get. Win or loose, it's still a grand experience!

:D

YOU ROCK!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

KingRob
10-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I agree rojosgirl, the trip to a state final is a great experience. Several years ago, Navasota played Cuero in Cuero in an early season game and lost, I believe 8-6. We started a freshman QB and a Sophmore RB in that game and they played above expectations. No one had given that Rattler team a chance in hell of staying on the field with Cuero that year and even though we lost, the kids came together in that game and began believing in themselves. To make a long story short, we advanced to the State Championship game that year and got whipped by Southlake Carrol.

My point is that even when Cuero is not in the State Championship, they are most often a factor in the run to the state title. Every year they can say that the road to the title for Region 3 & 4 will eventually go through Cuero. There are not many teams that can say that yearly. AND, I can count on one hand the number of times Cuero has been stomped by anyone. They might lose some games, but they are always competitive. Scores don't always tell the whole story of the game and everybody that plays Cuero knows they have been in a battle.

YOU ROCK TOO!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

underware
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
This game reminds me of Texas and A&M. If A&M beats Texas and wins no other games, then it was a great season! If Yoakum beats Cuero (i doubt it) then it was a successful season! HA! HA! Go Dogs!

Green Bling
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey, Peeps! 22 hours to game time. Anyone out there ready? Seems like an eon since we played last.:D

44INAROW
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
This game reminds me of Texas and A&M. If A&M beats Texas and wins no other games, then it was a great season! If Yoakum beats Cuero (i doubt it) then it was a successful season! HA! HA! Go Dogs!
I agree Underware - also- once district is over - if Cuero and Yoakum are both playing in the playoffs - the majority of the Cuero folks support the Bulldogs and visa-versa. I assume the other districts are the same way. But the Yoakum vs Cuero game is always a big one - no matter what the records and rankings are. That's what makes a great rivalry! (that and going to downtow Yoakum to Mi Casa for the Dinner #4 before the game)

100 years Rivalry - Cool!

GO MEAN GREEN - let's hope the weather cooperates ;)

29-3aFAN
10-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah, its always great around playoff time when we dont play the same time. You will see green at the yoakum games and blue at the cuero games.

29-3aFAN
10-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Heard Yoakum/Cuero freshmen was 6-6 tie. What about the JV score?

29-3aFAN
10-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Victoria Advocate

Trent Jackson and Trey Hights share a friendship, a position, a passion for football and a desire to be successful.

But the running backs will do so from opposite sidelines Friday night when No. 6 Cuero (5-0) travels to Bulldog Stadium to face Yoakum (2-3) for the 99th meeting of the DeWitt County rivals in their District 28-3A opener.

"It's a little friendly rivalry between us," Jackson said. "I always try to compete with other backs."

Jackson was at his competitive best last season when he carried 18 times for 222 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Gobblers to a 49-14 win over the Bulldogs.

Hights did everything he could to keep Yoakum in the contest by rushing 23 times for 169 yards and scoring both of the Bulldogs' touchdowns.

"I'm expecting them to be aware of me," Hights said. "I'm looking forward to it. I really am."

Hights, a senior, and Jackson, a sophomore, have done nothing with their performance during non-district play to diminish expectations for what is likely to be the final meeting of the backs.

Hights has had fewer carries since transitioning to a new offense installed by first-year coach Brent Kornegay. He has made the most of his chances, carrying 70 times for 586 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Hights carried 209 times for 1,345 yards and 19 touchdowns last season while leading Yoakum to the Division II area playoffs and earning first-team all-district and all-area honors.

"I've gotten stronger and smarter and much bigger than I was last year," the 215-pound Hights said. "The way I run is easier. It's like everybody else is in slow motion when I run. It just feels a lot different."

Kornegay has noticed a difference in Hights from the back he saw on tape last season.

"He's become more a downhill runner than he was last year, which has been a positive," Kornegay said. "I felt like he had the tools to be a downhill runner and he's done that. He's a tough back. He's hard to bring down."

Jackson had his breakout game against Yoakum last season and went on to eclipse Robert Strait's freshman school records by rushing 114 times for 1,436 yards and 21 touchdowns. He was the newcomer of the year on the all-district and all-area teams.

"My biggest concern was putting on more weight and retaining the speed I had," the 170-pound Jackson said. "I was just expecting to do better than last season. I just try to keep improving."

Jackson has been busier this season, carrying 73 times for 638 yards and nine touchdowns.

"I think he's got good vision," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "He's got that great break, he sees the field well and he's a tough kid."

Jackson and Hights appreciate each other's skills and are looking forward to getting an up-close view.

"He has power and agility," Jackson said of Hights. "He's just a real good back."

"He runs hard and he's got pretty good vision," Hights said of Jackson. "He's got some speed on him and that helps him out."

The running backs enjoy the friendly competition, but they haven't lost sight of the bigger picture.

"I don't mind if I get less carries," Hights said. "As long as we win and get the "W" at the end of the game that's all that really matters."

"I'm OK with anything," Jackson agreed. "It doesn't matter as long as we win."

Old Green
10-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Heard Yoakum/Cuero freshmen was 6-6 tie. What about the JV score? When i left in the 3rd Qtr. Yoakum had just scored on a long pass play to take a 14-9 lead.

KingRob
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I think Yoakum will come out fired up, but Cuero will just be too good.

Survey says:

Cuero - 40
Yoakum - 13

I think I'm going to stay up and listen to the game on gobblersports.com.

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

gobbler grad
10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by KingRob

Survey says:

Cuero - 40
Yoakum - 13

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

oh yeah, you don't wanna miss this one...ought to be a good one...:clap:

Green Bling
10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by KingRob

Survey says:

Cuero - 40
Yoakum - 13

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

We'll yell a "Go Mean Green" for you King Rob! Enjoy the game from way across the "pond."

Mr_Shrapnel
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Cuero by a bunch... and i do mean a bunch... Cuero is in a different dimension as usual...

bd62
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
The Yoakum and Cuero game is of course a big rival game but there is a close connection between the 2 towns. Lots of family connections and close friends . Lot of the players are friends. In fact all my kids went to Yoakum and i have allways been a big supporter of the Yoakum sports programs. Now i have 4 grandsons in Cuero. One plays for the Cuero freshmen and i was supporting him and Cuero to win the game last nite. When he gets on varsity it will be the same.

As far as the game tonite Yoakum will probably play the best game they have played all year. But i think that Cuero has too much speed and execution for Yoakum to match. I have seen all of Yoakum games and saw The Cuero- Bay City game. Cuero is a very well coached and outstanding football team and there is no one in our district that can match that.

Mr_Shrapnel
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Well said... I know the dynamic between the two towns very well and I know what you mean. I completely understand supporting your team, folks, but you have to stay realistic here... Again, Cuero by 3 tds, not even close.

Dawg Dad
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
The Bulldogs winning this game will be the equivalent of the Royals winning the world series. For you non-baseball fans out there, that means Yoakum all the way. No doubt. For all of the people saying cuero will win this game, you obviously do not watch football. Or you are an idiot.

44INAROW
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Dawg Dad
The Bulldogs winning this game will be the equivalent of the Royals winning the world series. For you non-baseball fans out there, that means Yoakum all the way. No doubt. For all of the people saying cuero will win this game, you obviously do not watch football. Or you are an idiot.

Welcome to the Board DawgDad ;) Not real sure I totally understand your post but welcome anyway :)

Mr_Shrapnel
10-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Bartender, I'll have what he's having...

IrishTex
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Is there a full moon tonight????

Just askin...

:eek: :eek:

strosfan
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Cuero has a really weak district. I wonder if having an easy run through district hurts a team in the playoff's?
One could also make the argument that players are less likely to be injured and may get more rest, and it could help.

IrishTex
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by strosfan
Cuero has a really weak district. I wonder if having an easy run through district hurts a team in the playoff's?
One could also make the argument that players are less likely to be injured and may get more rest, and it could help.

That's an excellent question Strosfan..and I was thinking the same thing...but since I live more than 50 miles from Cuero, I didn't think I had a right to wonder about it..

:rolleyes:

Seriously, for many teams district play begins tonight...it doesn't seem like it would be much fun to be the only team in a district worth a darn...but that's just me. I would venture to say having a nice district that promoted good play and the ability for teams to "earn" their playoff spot might be the way to go...at least the team would be used to some sort of adversity and be better prepared to overcome that adversity in the playoffs...just thinking out loud.

44INAROW
10-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
That's an excellent question Strosfan..and I was thinking the same thing...but since I live more than 50 miles from Cuero, I didn't think I had a right to wonder about it..

:rolleyes:

Seriously, for many teams district play begins tonight...it doesn't seem like it would be much fun to be the only team in a district worth a darn...but that's just me. I would venture to say having a nice district that promoted good play and the ability for teams to "earn" their playoff spot might be the way to go...at least the team would be used to some sort of adversity and be better prepared to overcome that adversity in the playoffs...just thinking out loud.
Please remember, we don't choose our districts ;) Also, trying to find preseason opponents within a reasonable travel distance has been an issue lately too. When RH, Bay City, Devine became preseason teams for Cuero 2 seasons ago - they were very tough opponents. Also, our "poor little district" has been touted as "weak" for as long as I can remember. No one mentions that in 2007 - District 28 had 3 teams playing in the Reg IV Finals. (Div 1 and Div 2) Gonzales played Pleasanton and Cuero played Palacios - so the arguement that Cuero IS ALWAYS in a weak district isn't quite true. I'll admit that this year is - well - how do I say it tactfully? Probably best to not say anything lol
Also, I think Edna is a good team. Yoakum is better than alot of folks think they are as well.
Is D28 the "powerhouse" that D25 is? Probably not - It is a shame that some districts have 4 great teams and someone is left home for the playoffs. Then some districts have a 1-4 team headed to playoffs. Wish I knew the answer.. So I guess all the teams just go out and play the games with all their hearts and souls and hopefully the best team wins.