PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tendon

blowfish
10-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I have torn mine and I am stuck in this walking cast (boot) even after surgery. Turns oout I have a huge heel spur on back of my heel and it grew into the tendon and severed it.

Anyone ever have to have surgery. What can I expect? The doc said it was similar to my rotator cuff surgery. YIKES!

Rocket
10-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
I have torn mine and I am stuck in this walking cast (boot) even after surgery. Turns oout I have a huge heel spur on back of my heel and it grew into the tendon and severed it.

Anyone ever have to have surgery. What can I expect? The doc said it was similar to my rotator cuff surgery. YIKES!

A friend of mine did it in a basketball game and it took him a while. 6 months later he was still feeling it when he got out of bed. Sorry to hear that. That is a bad injury.

hollywood
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Yep, a friend of mine tore his from his heel a couple of months ago and had surgery. Look for a long recovery. Good luck!

blowfish
10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh well... it took 18 months to get over my rotator cuff. I guess this way I have an excuse to sit and watch all the football I want on the weekends.

STANG RED
10-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Just have the foot amputated. It'll heal much faster. :D

blowfish
10-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just have the foot amputated. It'll heal much faster. :D

Dont laugh that is the first thing I told the Doc. I knew I was in trouble when the first thing he told his nurse ooutside of the door was to get me a temp Handicap sticker. I refused it by the way.

STANG RED
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Dont laugh that is the first thing I told the Doc. I knew I was in trouble when the first thing he told his nurse ooutside of the door was to get me a temp Handicap sticker. I refused it by the way.

Refused it? :confused: Dont you see those 40 empty handicap spots at nearly any store you pull up to? Heck, I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat. ;)
Dont get me wrong, I dont condone perfectly healthy people parking in handicap spots. But I sure notice lots of empty ones in nearly any parking lot I pull in to. I'd sure use one, if I ever needed to, and was authorized to do so.

blowfish
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I see your point but it has always been a pet peeve of mine. My wife and Dad use the elevator at the new stadium because of their problems. they tried to get me to use it Friday night, I said no it wasnt for me. It hurt like heck but it aint for me it is for them.

slingshot
10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Ouch. Figure a year to heal completely...

westtxfballfan
10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I snapped mine playing flag football in 2003 (in my mid-30s), and it is a long healing process. It went fine, but it takes forever to get back to doing much more than walking. They will set your leg in a brace at a 45 degree angle and give you crutches, then gradually (as in every two weeks or so) let it out a few degrees until you are fully extended. Then you'll still remain in the boot for a bit longer. You'll re-hab doing stretches with your foot (turn it in, out up, down) for a while, and with the electro-stimulating thingamajig. Also leg machine workouts.

As for the surgery itself, I think they gave me lortab that I took and weaned off after a couple of weeks. Outpatient surgery - surgery in the morning - but pretty much couch-ridden for a week or so or two.

I have shy'd away from basketball and flag football since except for a very rare pick up basketball game, because my surgeon told me I would always be more susceptible to popping it again. That sucks, but I was old enough that I didn't do much of that anymore anyway. I jog fairly regularly these days and it seems okay (knocking on wood.) It has not affected my activities - and I'm fairly handy, active outside - other than the most strenous stuff like b-ball, etc.

Hope it goes well. PM me if you have any questions.

blowfish
10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Yikes, I forgot all about the crutches. I have never been able to master those things!

ivchris
10-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Refused it? :confused: Dont you see those 40 empty handicap spots at nearly any store you pull up to? Heck, I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat. ;)
Dont get me wrong, I dont condone perfectly healthy people parking in handicap spots. But I sure notice lots of empty ones in nearly any parking lot I pull in to. I'd sure use one, if I ever needed to, and was authorized to do so.

hey Stang, I see those spots all the time. I've always said the handicapped spots should be the farthest from the door, they're the one's that need the physical therapy in the first place! :D