PDA

View Full Version : High School Football should be on Thursday

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I believe Football should be played on Thursday so it doesn't conflict with Volleyball.
Football only plays once a week and it would be an easy fix for the schools.

Free Volleyball, Cheerleaders, Dancers, Bands, etc.......

TRENCHES06
10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Surely, this is a JOKE...

turbostud
Blasphemy!!!

garciap77
Originally posted by 3&2count
I believe Football should be played on Thursday so it doesn't conflict with Volleyball.

One problem with playing on Thursday, is traveling back after the games. The kids would not get enough rest to go back to school on Friday and after a hard fought game, you need the weekend to recover!

beastyboyz
10-01-2009, 10:55 PM
With all do respect, u have got to be kidding me...varsity football on thursdays doesn't even sound right, "thursday night lights" lol...no

After a hard fought game the boys wouldn't even go to school the next day....

Why can volleyball be played on mondays and thursdays...or tuesdays and thursdays???

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
What about a hard fought volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, track, or golf? Everyone has to travel on a TUESDAY usually. Why the difference?

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Football could be there on Friday with no problems. Many big schools watch film on Saturday morning and then work out afterwards. They could and would attend school. I think if you turn your TV on you will find a game on tonight.

LE Dad
10-01-2009, 11:26 PM
LOL :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:
That is funny!!

garciap77
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Football could be there on Friday with no problems. Many big schools watch film on Saturday morning and then work out afterwards. They could and would attend school. I think if you turn your TV on you will find a game on tonight.
Is that you "Tres Siete"?:D

;)

STANG RED
10-01-2009, 11:51 PM

Football already is being played on Thursday. I think 7th thru JV all play on thursday at least some of the time. Frosh and JV do always play on Thursday, do they not?

coach
10-02-2009, 03:07 AM

why cant volleyball be played on thursday? better yet...why dont we just not have volleyball period....

Rabid Cougar
10-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Who cares about the kids?

After a long drive home on a Friday night you look forward to not having to get up and go to work. You got to have time to let down, recover your voice from yelling at coach/referee, drink some coffee and read the sports page/discussion board about the game you went to see. You can't do that at work...

That is why they play on Friday night!

Footballhudini
10-02-2009, 04:50 AM

and i suppose you want school on sunday?

Twirling Time
10-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Volleyball teams usually play the varsity game early on Fridays anyway so fans can watch both. In district, the volleyball schedules are usually synched with the football schedule so the same two teams are playing in both on Fridays.

pancho villa
10-02-2009, 07:34 AM

To be brutally honest they need to cut out girls sports altogether!
Watching girls sports is like watching paint dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Well, I looked forward to basketball tournaments in high school because some of those girls from other schools made that paint-drying look good haha.

And the female athletes on campus are something good to look at to while I'm in the weight room, even though they're not doing anything really productive, they provide me with some entertainment.

pancho villa
10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Girls should be cheerleaders and drill team dancers, that is what they are good at. Just ask the girls at WOS!

Bone Pile
10-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Surely you just woke up from a nightmare!!

jdawg2012
10-02-2009, 08:19 AM

Are you high?!?!

ziggy29
10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
One problem with playing on Thursday, is traveling back after the games. The kids would not get enough rest to go back to school on Friday and after a hard fought game, you need the weekend to recover!
I think this is the bottom line. I don't think it's in the best interests of education to have the kids walking around like zombies on Friday mornings because they only got four hours of sleep after a game that's two hours away on the road...

pancho villa
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I think this is the bottom line. I don't think it's in the best interests of education to have the kids walking around like zombies on Friday mornings because they only got four hours of sleep after a game that's two hours away on the road...

How come it is ok for JV and Freshman to do that?

LE Dad
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Girls should be cheerleaders and drill team dancers, that is what they are good at. Just ask the girls at WOS! :doh: :doh: WOW, did you just say that!! :1omg!: This is bout to get interesting. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:1popcorn:

Yoe_09
10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
This is a joke. 7th, 8th, Freshmen, and JV are supposed to be played on Thursdays. Friday nights are for Varsity Football. It would not be the same playing on just some Thursday night.

ziggy29
10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
How come it is ok for JV and Freshman to do that?
I believe their games often start considerably earlier in the day so they are home quite a bit earlier when traveling. At least that's sometimes true for the freshmen.

Buckeye1980
10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
How bout play the volleyball games outdoors in the center of football field before the game ......I know , I was JOKIN!:D

BwdLions
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I support girls athletics, and I'm happy that they have many more sports today than what they used to have. I also think girls athletics are just as important to the school and town as boys athletics. However, look at the revenue that football brings in. Look at the size of the crowds at football games compared to other sports (not only girls sports, but other boys sports). There's no comparison. Texas High School Football is "The Sport" in Texas. So to even mention that football should be played on another night besides Friday night to make it more convenient for volleyball is ludicrous. All that being said, I really think is thread was a joke and someone is just having a little fun with us.

Matthew328
10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Girls sports are awful to watch but they serve a purpose, so 17 people go to the game and the purpose is served. Have volleyball on Tuesday and Saturday conflicts end.

Varsity football is played on Thursdays in a lot of places FYI

lostaussie
10-02-2009, 09:31 AM

Free Volleyball, Cheerleaders, Dancers, Bands, etc....... the El Paso sun has baked your brain:D ..................but you are entitled to your opinion on a kinder, gentler board:D

pancho villa
10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
This title IX bs is getting out of hand. Our girls need to be trained for domestic work that they are capable of.

sports mom
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Volleyball teams usually play the varsity game early on Fridays anyway so fans can watch both. In district, the volleyball schedules are usually synched with the football schedule so the same two teams are playing in both on Fridays.

Not in District 25-3A! The wonderful Bellville head volleyball coach decided, because she can, that the Varsity games needed to be played at 7 p.m. Therefore, any volleyball player in the District who may also be a cheerleader or in band cannot cheer or perform at the football games. :evillol:

If I am wrong, please let me know. This is what I was told by others.

Blackcat1954
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I graduated with head Bellville volleyball coach if its the same person that has been there for over 20 years.

sports mom
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
I graduated with head Bellville volleyball coach if its the same person that has been there for over 20 years.

It is!

Superbacker 00'
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow, im in shock

BuckeyeNut
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM

So when are the Freshman and JV to Play on Tuesday ?????:D :D

Green Bling
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Most of our varsity VB games start at 5:00. It makes a perfect Friday to start with some VB, have a nice meal and go to the football game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Gobbla2001
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Varsity football games are on Fridays for a reason... the band needs two days of rest after getting all wound up because they were allowed to be out in public...

BwdLion73
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Varsity football games are on Fridays for a reason... the band needs two days of rest after getting all wound up because they were allowed to be out in public...

:D :cheerl:

SweenyBulldog
10-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read any of the posts 3&2 made and just say this.....It wouldn't be High School football if it wasen't on a FRIDAY NIGHT!!!

BwdLions
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM

:eek:

blowfish
10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
not to be an a$$ or anything because I support all sports and the band, but I wish they would do away with football all together for one year. Then the public would realize how much money is generated for the other sports to exist in the first place.

sports mom
10-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Most of our varsity VB games start at 5:00. It makes a perfect Friday to start with some VB, have a nice meal and go to the football game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D :clap:

Thank you! Well, that is how it was up until this season (from what I am told). She seemed to think they needed to start at 7 p.m. So, guess what? Most everyone will be at the football game except for those few parents of players who will stay & support their daughters. I have been out of school 20+ yrs and she was coaching long before I entered Jr. High.

It's time she retires!

bwdaggie
10-02-2009, 02:45 PM

actually, i have enjoyed reading most of this thread...its entertaining and funny! but pancho, i REALLY wish you would show up at one of our vball games so our girls could spike a ball in the middle of your chauvinistic face! i don't know about other programs, but i DO know that the brownwood and wylie vball programs work very hard and deserve some respect.

...btw, i believe football should be on fridays :)

Corn Cob
10-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Pancho is my hero!

I have three young girls, and I dread the days when I will have to go watch "paint dry"!

88bobcats
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I think the answer lies in the fact that, during a volleyball game, the girls don't line up and puprosefully slam themselves into each other for nearly three hours!

Football is not a contact sport, it is a collision sport. I'm not saying that young ladies don't expend energy during volleyball or basketball. It certainly takes endurance and stamina, and I'm sure there are sore muscles, fatigue, and injuries. I don't think the recovery time is the same, however.

As far as volleyball playing on Thursdays, that would violate the "can't have two contests in one week" rule. Volleyball after 3:00 p.m. on Friday is actually considered weekend by UIL, so only the Tuesday game counts as "during the week".

sinton66
10-02-2009, 08:22 PM

LOL! That's funny. What instrument did you play?:D