PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Scrimmages?

CtownAggie
08-14-2001, 10:39 PM
Cuero is scrimmaging 2A powerhouse Refugio this weekend. Next in line will be one of the top teams in 3A this year, Rice Consolidated. And as if that isn't enough, the Gobblers are then taking on Rockport-Fulton, a 4A team that went 3 or 4 rounds in the playoffs last year. Does anyone else out there have as tough of a preseason lineup as the Gobblers???

3Aroy
08-15-2001, 11:20 AM
Yep.
Newton scrimmages 4A PA Jefferson, 4A LCM, then they begin season play against 4A PA Lincoln, 3A Crockett, 2A (state ranked) Corrigan Camden, 4A Beaumont Ozen, and then 4A Jasper! Those are tough teams. There are a few other teams who have tough schedules as well!

-Roy

bigdawg
08-15-2001, 02:17 PM
Abilene Wylie scrimmages a perennial 4a powerhouse in Brownwood twice before season starts. Then, they play three 4a teams in Big Spring, Snyder, and San Angelo LV. It's a pretty tough pre-season schedule.

Matthew328
08-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Everman scrimmages some pretty decent teams as well...4A Azle who should be much improved...4A WF Hirschi who finished 5-5...4A Dallas Samuell who went 9-2 last year....then the Dawgs open with 4A FW Eastern Hills who was 7-3 before all the forefits..then they play 4A FW Southwest who went 6-4..then they play 4A WF Rider who went 2 rounds deep in the playoffs...they then play Robinson who is an excellent 3A team in the Waco area..they advanced to the state semis in 99 and gave state champ Gatesville all they wanted in Round 2 of the playoffs and Everman closes predistrict with Waxahachie who even when they are down seem to always make the 4A playoffs...I believe it is like 15 straight years..they have been in the 4A playoffs..pretty decent slate I'd say....

dufresne_96
08-16-2001, 05:42 PM
Why does it matter who a team scrimmages? The games aren't for real. No scouting can be done b/c teams don't go full throttle. And, it's basically like another practice except you're going half-speed against another team and not your own in practice. I have nothing against the scrimmages. I just don't see why everyone fusses about them.

bigdawg
08-16-2001, 06:48 PM
Teams scrimmage to see where their weaknesses and stengths are on offense/defense. It's a whole lot different when your going against another team compared to your own teammates. I don't know where your from, but where I'm from the scrimmages are a lot faster than half-speed. And where did you see anyone fussing about the scrimmages? We were just talking about who everyone scrimmages, so if you don't have anything intelligent to say about this matter, then don't post anything!

Matthew328
08-16-2001, 10:42 PM
I think scrimmages are a very big deal...it gives you your first glimpse of what your team will look like and it does give you an idea of what your teams strengths and weaknesses are..especially if you are scrimmaging a good team...and I have never heard of any team going half speed in a scrimmage..true coaches won't show a lot of the playbook and things of that nature..but any team that plays is gonna go all out cuz it is your first chance to hit someone besides your teammates..

bigdawg
08-17-2001, 02:14 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

dufresne_96
08-20-2001, 01:41 AM
I know what teams get out of the scrimmages. I just think too many people, not necessarily anyone in the forum, make too big a deal about the opponent a team scrimmages. Yes, I understand hitting someone else besides your JV. Yes, I understand they are productive in evaluating personnel. We might just have to agree to disagree. I just don't think it's important WHO another team scrimmages.

KingApe5
08-20-2001, 08:12 PM
Wylie most definately has one of the toughest scrimmage schedules scrimmaging Brownwood twice. I totally agree with matthew328 that scrimmages are important. They are a great source of experience and confidence for teams heading into the new season.