PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Round Robin Football District

Antec
09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Do any of yall remember in 1972 if any of your schools played in a round robin district

East Bernard was in a Class A district with Hungerford, Louise and Wallis

They played each other twice which seem kind of unusual for the early 70s

navscanmaster
09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
A few years back, Lufkin, Longview, Tyler Lee and Tyler John Tyler all played in a round robin 5A district.

Matthew328
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah that was insane with those 4 playing each other twice...LOL I bet basketball scheduling was an issue though...unless they played each other 4 times in district play

Bull Butter
09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Do any of yall remember in 1972 if any of your schools played in a round robin district

East Bernard was in a Class A district with Hungerford, Louise and Wallis

They played each other twice which seem kind of unusual for the early 70s
When did Hungerford's school close? I remember our Girls BB team playing them at Regional in about 73 or 74. I guess they go to Wharton now?

And up the road, I remember when Kendleton had a HS. I saw them at Regionals in about 1977. They go to Lamar Cons. nowadays?

Twirling Time
10-01-2009, 04:44 AM
I assume you mean double round robin, because everyone plays a round robin. Double round robins were common in six-man and eight-man before 1972, at least around here. That was because you had to drive for hours to the closest non-district competitors.

By 1972, there were only Gunter and Westminster in eight-man and they were going all the way out to Harrold and Vernon for district games. They played a single round robin that year.

Four years later, eight-man was done away with and Gunter had no choice but to go 11-man. Westminster stuck with eight-man as an independent until it consolidated with Anna in 1989.

Blackcat1954
10-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Okay Double Round Robin

Hungerford closed in spring of 73

I went to elementary and junior high through through 8th grade through 67 then I went to East Bernard High School even tough I lived in Hungerford

Most of the whites in Hungerford went to either East Bernard, Boling and Wharton -At That time there was a choice

This was before integration

Then in 72- you had to go to district where you lived- We moved to East Bernard so I could finish my final two years there

Others moved also to avoid having to go to Hungerford wich didn't have a football stadium- They played all the games on the road or some at Wharton Junior High Stadium.

When East Bernard and Hungerford played each other i was a huge rival-not as big as East Bernard and Wallis

Now depends where you live in Hungerford-You go to Boling or Wharton-

Even the kids in Elm Grove - just before the Colorado County line go to East Bernard

But some go to El Campo on the otherside

I think people who live in Egypt and Spanish Camp go to Boling. People in Foggy Bottom also go to Boling

Bonus kids go to Rice Consolidated

Its very confusing since the school dividing lines are so close to each other

It was a big up stir when this happenedd back in the 70s-my dad was on the Hungerford School board and then resigned because of all this.