PDA

View Full Version : WOS DOESN'T forfeit district volleyball game to allow players to attend football game

AggiesAreWe
09-30-2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.orangeleader.com/hssports/local_story_273135443.html?keyword=topstory

The mind set of some folks.:rolleyes:

Daddy D 11
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I like that.

HAHA. Football rules in Texas.

44INAROW
09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
wow - is the only comment I am making :eek:

STANG RED
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
:confused: Hard to believe their willing to forfeit a district match to go to a non district football game. Thats nuts if you ask me. They'll feel pretty stupid if this ends up costing them a playoff spot.

pirate4state
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
11 of the VB girls on drill team and/or cheerleading. Bummer. Why are they even given a choice? It's a district ball game vs. a non-district football game. I'm all for football, but that's a little much. Unless those 11 girls also make up the entire cheer/dance squad, they need to go play VB.

Looking4number8
09-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
11 of the VB girls on drill team and/or cheerleading. Bummer. Why are they even given a choice? It's a district ball game vs. a non-district football game. I'm all for football, but that's a little much. Unless those 11 girls also make up the entire cheer/dance squad, they need to go play VB.

I agree except even if the girls are the entire cheer/dance squad. Let the JV cheer if need be. I say your athletics comes before cheer and dance (and my daughter was a cheerleader and athlete)

I also dont know why they have to play VB on Friday's. All schools have this conflict. Why can't VB be played Mon/Thur instead of Tues/Fri

Ranger Mom
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I agree except even if the girls are the entire cheer/dance squad. Let the JV cheer if need be. I say your athletics comes before cheer and dance (and my daughter was a cheerleader and athlete)

I also dont know why they have to play VB on Friday's. All schools have this conflict. Why can't VB be played Mon/Thur instead of Tues/Fri

I agree with everything single thing you just said!!!:D :D

Looking4number8
09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I agree with everything single thing you just said!!!:D :D

Wow, then I should make that my last post and walk away feeling complete............ damn, this post makes it too late for that!

Oh well, at least I still feel special

GreenMonster
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Why can't VB be played Mon/Thur instead of Tues/Fri

UIL rules forbid more than 1 game per school week unless said game is a tournament game or a make-up game for a district contest. UIL defines school week as the start of school on Monday (8am) to the end of school on Friday (3pm.) One must remember that UIL was put in place to protect the student athlete with a strong emphasis on student. No bid deal, I'm sure everyone affected/involved were aware of the situation and decided what was best for everyone involved.

Looking4number8
09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
UIL rules forbid more than 1 game per school week unless said game is a tournament game or a make-up game for a district contest. UIL defines school week as the start of school on Monday (8am) to the end of school on Friday (3pm.) One must remember that UIL was put in place to protect the student athlete with a strong emphasis on student. No bid deal, I'm sure everyone affected/involved were aware of the situation and decided what was best for everyone involved.

Thaks for the reminder. When I read the first part of your post I realized that I did know that, had just forgotten. Still I think there can be some solution. In Texas nothing competes with football so it seems like something could be done. And for the record, I dont think making girls give up every Saturday during the fall would be fair either.

Antec
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Wonder what the volleyball coach is really thinking?

Looking4number8
09-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Wonder what the volleyball coach is really thinking?

probally "yea! a Friday night off!"

Matthew328
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM

So how about playing Tues./Sat? It might help the volleyball girls because the crowds are pretty sparse on Fridays

PHS Wildcats
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Both teams have to agree to it, but H-J wouldn't because they have thing going on as well.

slpybear the bullfan
10-01-2009, 09:19 AM

For volleyball only, I assume... basketball plays twice a week.

pirate4state
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
For volleyball only, I assume... basketball plays twice a week. Basketball is also Tue/Fri so is baseball & softball

jason
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
they are already 0-2 in district, maybe they are terrible and would rather watch the football than get the crap beat out of them in the volleyball game - perhaps a forfeit would just save everybody the time and gas....

just a thought......

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
This is sad. Really, really sad. i think the drill team can get by without the girls.

It seems from the article that its the parents to blame. Did I read that correctly? You MUST have 11 to start the game?

This puts the word "commitment" into doubt when the VB coach uses it...if he/she ever does.

I suggest that the AD (Hooks?) make it known that if any girl that doesnt show up the VB game but DOES show up at the football game is kicked off the VB team. Make a stand right now for the entire season. It apparently doesnt mean a lot to the parents anyway, so end it now.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 10:41 AM
It sounds like to me that this is a 'commitment' issue on behalf of the girls and the parents. Before the seasons even started this should have been addressed. Surely, the issue was thought of at some point?:thinking: The girls should have realized that if they were a cheerleader or in drill team that their schedule might at some point might conflict with their volleyball schedule!! The parents should have questioned them about this prior to their seasons, also... IMO:doh: :thinking: They should have decided ahead of time- what was a priority and how this situation would be handled. Football games can continue without cheerleaders and drill team- volleyball games cannot go on without players....:dispntd: :dispntd:

NastySlot
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM

uil rule i think only allows them to play once within the academic school week (1st bell monday to last bell on friday)...friday at the last bell is the end of the academic week....exceptions tourneys....and in softball/baseball dh's

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
It's their choice. If they want to go to the football game then let them. They're the kids that are playing after all. It's their choice. That's the beauty of high school sports, it's all up to the kids how much they want to put into it.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It's their choice. If they want to go to the football game then let them. They're the kids that are playing after all. It's their choice. That's the beauty of high school sports, it's all up to the kids how much they want to put into it.

IMO, as a parent (and I realize that not all people feel this way), when your child joins a team or organization they should be committed to that group and you, the parent, have a responsibility to make sure they make practices, games, etc. If you allow your child to join and then do not make them stay committed- then what are you teaching them? Its okay to join something, but you can half-arse your responsibilities? No, not in my mind.:thinking: When my kids go to do something I ask them about their other activities and we discuss it to make sure that it won't interfere with other things or cause a problem for them down the road..... Just sharing my thoughts....:thinking: :D
And it is okay to do both cheerleading and volleyball- but like I said- what is your priority? The football game can continue without a cheerleader, but you have let down an entire team, program and coach when you choose to not play a volleyball game to cheer at a football game.:rolleyes: :confused: It is all about priorities. :)

Phil C
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by jason
they are already 0-2 in district, maybe they are terrible and would rather watch the football than get the crap beat out of them in the volleyball game - perhaps a forfeit would just save everybody the time and gas....

just a thought......

Jason has a point that should be considered if it is relevant.

Phil C
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Someone might file a title 10 complaint or whatever it is if someone up there gets mad.

Phil C
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
FOLKS!!

THAT IS WHY SCHEDULE PLANNING IS VERY IMPORTANT!

:mad:

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

High School sports isn't about the kids choices. It's about building character and instilling in kids a sense of teamwork and commitment, which they can carry with them into adulthood.

Using this logic, we should let them "choose" what is taught in classes. This is silly.

Daddy D 11
10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
This is silly.

You're silly:p

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
You're silly:p

you're ugly!

Daddy D 11
10-01-2009, 11:48 AM
you're ugly!

That was rude.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
That was rude.

LOL...yes it was!!!!

trg
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
All I can say is WOW!!!! I cannot even believe this. If the one school said they would play at 4, why not go and play at 4 and as soon as game is over then go to football game. I would assume that drill team does not perform until halftime. If the volleyball players/cheerleaders or drill team members are not there at the start of the football game the game can still start and they can get there when they can.

Good luck to WOS with your season.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
WO-S tried to work something out with H-J but plans fell through.

I hate when HJ plans fall through....;)

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
IMO, as a parent (and I realize that not all people feel this way), when your child joins a team or organization they should be committed to that group and you, the parent, have a responsibility to make sure they make practices, games, etc. If you allow your child to join and then do not make them stay committed- then what are you teaching them? Its okay to join something, but you can half-arse your responsibilities? No, not in my mind.:thinking: When my kids go to do something I ask them about their other activities and we discuss it to make sure that it won't interfere with other things or cause a problem for them down the road..... Just sharing my thoughts....:thinking: :D
And it is okay to do both cheerleading and volleyball- but like I said- what is your priority? The football game can continue without a cheerleader, but you have let down an entire team, program and coach when you choose to not play a volleyball game to cheer at a football game.:rolleyes: :confused: It is all about priorities. :)

If they were going to watch the football game then I would agree, but they are CHOOSING one team over another. If they went to play volleyball instead of dancing/cheering would you question their commitment to those teams.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
If they were going to watch the football game then I would agree, but they are CHOOSING one team over another. If they went to play volleyball instead of dancing/cheering would you question their commitment to those teams.
They knew when they signed on to do both things that at some point there would be a conflict. The Drill Team can still dance without all of its members and the cheerleaders can still cheer without everyone, BUT the volleyball team cannot play unless they have so many people to field a team.:rolleyes: It is just that simple. The girls and parents knew this from day one. It is all about commitment to other people and commitment to a TEAM.
I am a 'cheer mom', but I hate to break it to you- my daughter will play volleyball, basketball or softball long before she will be going and cheering somewhere. JMO:thinking: That's all...

3&2count
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Would the cheer sponsor get credited for the loss if they didn't have the entire cheer squad at the game?

That could possibly keep the cheer squad from making the playoffs.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
It isnt rocket science. It's a schedule.

STANG RED
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Here is a very interesting passage I read about commitment. These girls and their parents would do well to read it. And apparently some of you need to heed these words as well.

Commitment is most difficult and most readily proven during tough times. How someone weathers the storms most clearly demonstrates their basic beliefs. In antiquity, Epicurus stated: "...a captain earns his reputation during the storms." When your competition scores big against you, when the money dries up, or when the glamour of success wears off, this is when it is easiest to compromise your commitments. The real test comes when you can hold the line against the easy route of compromise.

Fortunately, paying the price that commitment commands has payoffs worth the cost - a reputation for integrity and, even more important, the commitment of others in return. Commitment is a two-way street. You only get it if you are willing to give it.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Here is a very interesting passage I read about commitment. These girls and their parents would do well to read it. And apparently some of you need to heed these words as well.

Commitment is most difficult and most readily proven during tough times. How someone weathers the storms most clearly demonstrates their basic beliefs. In antiquity, Epicurus stated: "...a captain earns his reputation during the storms." When your competition scores big against you, when the money dries up, or when the glamour of success wears off, this is when it is easiest to compromise your commitments. The real test comes when you can hold the line against the easy route of compromise.

Fortunately, paying the price that commitment commands has payoffs worth the cost - a reputation for integrity and, even more important, the commitment of others in return. Commitment is a two-way street. You only get it if you are willing to give it.

Awesome!:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-01-2009, 02:32 PM
High School sports isn't about the kids choices. It's about building character and instilling in kids a sense of teamwork and commitment, which they can carry with them into adulthood.

Using this logic, we should let them "choose" what is taught in classes. This is silly.

Not at all. The curriculum is not chosen by the students. EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES are. You can't compare the two, it's a flawed argument. There is nothing that says that these kids have to compete anywhere. It is not necessary for them to receive the education that they go to school for. I know people who went to school and didn't play any sports and turned out just fine. Sure, there are reasons that these things are available to students, and that is because they do learn something from them. I will be the first to admit in my high school years of playing football, basketball, and running track, I learned much more than I can readily recall ever learning in a classroom. That doesn't mean that it is a lesson that I could not have learned elsewhere, because I could have, and if a student in high school chooses to learn those things elsewhere, then that is their decision. Not the parents. Not the administrators. I don't need a lesson in commitment, I've done plenty of it to every team I was a member of in the past and to the team that I am a member of now. And it isn't easy sometimes but I always followed through. These kids are choosing what activity that they want to commit to. What you aren't understanding is that what they are doing they prioritize going to the football game and participating in that more than they do volleyball. That's their choice. Let them make it, not chastise them for it or try to say that your judgment is better than theirs. They are choosing to sacrifice one team over the other team and one commitment over another commitment at the end of the day, so by your standards they are still learning and achieving the full and intended benefits of extra-curricular activities.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I hate when HJ plans fall through....;)

Me too. :(

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Not at all. The curriculum is not chosen by the students. EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES are. You can't compare the two, it's a flawed argument. There is nothing that says that these kids have to compete anywhere. It is not necessary for them to receive the education that they go to school for. I know people who went to school and didn't play any sports and turned out just fine. Sure, there are reasons that these things are available to students, and that is because they do learn something from them. I will be the first to admit in my high school years of playing football, basketball, and running track, I learned much more than I can readily recall ever learning in a classroom. That doesn't mean that it is a lesson that I could not have learned elsewhere, because I could have, and if a student in high school chooses to learn those things elsewhere, then that is their decision. Not the parents. Not the administrators. I don't need a lesson in commitment, I've done plenty of it to every team I was a member of in the past and to the team that I am a member of now. And it isn't easy sometimes but I always followed through. These kids are choosing what activity that they want to commit to. What you aren't understanding is that what they are doing they prioritize going to the football game and participating in that more than they do volleyball. That's their choice. Let them make it, not chastise them for it or try to say that your judgment is better than theirs. They are choosing to sacrifice one team over the other team and one commitment over another commitment at the end of the day, so by your standards they are still learning and achieving the full and intended benefits of extra-curricular activities.

No one is chastising the kids. I am chastising the parents who allowed them to make this poor decision.

I can remember when I had the same kind of thoughts that you do. It is called youth. You'll get over it.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
No one is chastising the kids. I am chastising the parents who allowed them to make this poor decision.

I can remember when I had the same kind of thoughts that you do. It is called youth. You'll get over it.

Exactly. As my kids get older- we have these discussions quite often. Every time they go to join something or commit (there is that word) themselves to an activity- I make dang sure they know what they are in for and that they are "all in". We also look at schedules and make sure things don't conflict with other things or that they don't over-extend themselves...:thinking:
I never would have understood this when I was younger.:confused: So, that is why I am there. To 'assist' them in their thinking.:D I think that is called 'parenting'....:thinking: :rolleyes:

88bobcats
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm sure the Mustangs have chosen and will continue to choose what they believe to be the best options for the Mustangs, whether I agree with them or not.

I've always believed that the world would be a better place if everyone swept their own front porch.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
I'm sure the Mustangs have chosen and will continue to choose what they believe to be the best options for the Mustangs, whether I agree with them or not.

I've always believed that the world would be a better place if everyone swept their own front porch.

It's a discussion board, 88bobcats. A 3A sports discussion board. This falls completely within these boundries. This is a good topic for discussion.

STANG RED
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Wow what a great philosophy. It's ok to break a commitment if something else comes up that you'd rather do. Life is so much simpler now. :rolleyes:

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Wow what a great philosophy. It's ok to break a commitment if something else comes up that you'd rather do. Life is so much simpler now. :rolleyes:

<<chuckling here>>>

88bobcats
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
It's a discussion board, 88bobcats. A 3A sports discussion board. This falls completely within these boundries. This is a good topic for discussion.

How eloquent.

I guess I'm not allowed to participate in the discussions? My point in the discussion was to implicitly advise everyone to be sure to take care of their own.

When topics deteriorate into debates that won't ever be resolved then they've gone on too long, or people are worrying too much about things over which they have no control or no jurisdiction. Take your pick.

I personally am on the side of "no jurisdiction".

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 04:29 PM
How eloquent.

I guess I'm not allowed to participate in the discussions? My point in the discussion was to implicitly advise everyone to be sure to take care of their own.

When topics deteriorate into debates that won't ever be resolved then they've gone on too long, or people are worrying too much about things over which they have no control or no jurisdiction. Take your pick.

Geez 88...where did you get that? I am glad you are participating. Like I said, its well within what I see as the boundries of a 3A sports discussion. No offense intended...i have tons of respect for WOS and their programs.

But by using your comment of "...people are worrying too much about things over which they have no control or no jurisdiction."...we shouldnt even discuss 3A sports, because we dont qualify for either of your requirements.

By the way, no debates on here EVER get resolved, if you havent noticed.

88bobcats
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

By the way, no debates on here EVER get resolved, if you havent noticed.

You've got a point there. I'm sorry for the knee-jerk reaction. I thought you were callin' me out.

I guess when the same arguments have gone full circle, back-and-forth, and round-and-round, and then start repeating again, I think the topic is dead.....but folks are still going at one another.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that there are some down-low posters that go too far outside the boundaries of their own communities.....

STANG RED
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
How eloquent.

I have to disagree. I think discussions like this can be very useful. We all make knee jerk reactions to things that come up in our lives almost every day. Sometimes we make the wrong decisions, but don’t see it till its too late. However, if we have participated in a discussion about a topic, we can hopefully make an informed decision, if we are ever faced with the same issue in the future.
What’s wrong with that? :confused:

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
You've got a point there. I'm sorry for the knee-jerk reaction. I thought you were callin' me out.

I guess when the same arguments have gone full circle, back-and-forth, and round-and-round, and then start repeating again, I think the topic is dead.....but folks are still going at one another.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that there are some down-low posters that go too far outside the boundaries of their own communities.....

No doubt 88. And no, absolutely not calling you out...its a valid opinion.

Now BBDE's opinion....thats another story. (jabbing atcha, BBDE...all in fun)

Looking4number8
10-01-2009, 05:33 PM

So this got me to thinking... If a girl plays volleyball on Tuesday, cheers or dances for the football team on Thursday, then plays volleyball again on Friday, which game does the school have to forfeit?

88bobcats
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
So this got me to thinking... If a girl plays volleyball on Tuesday, cheers or dances for the football team on Thursday, then plays volleyball again on Friday, which game does the school have to forfeit?

The difference is that cheerleading squads are considered to be "club" activities. The school sponsors them and, to some extent, participates with them, but they are not governed by UIL. They are simply organized groups of individuals that show up to the games like all the rest of us fans.

Similarly, for the drill teams, flag corps and bands, who are governed by UIL, they are simply going to a game to support their school. They are not participating in a competition against the other band like they do at marching competition.

Hence, the young ladies can do all three events in a week with no violation(s).

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 06:02 PM
They knew when they signed on to do both things that at some point there would be a conflict. The Drill Team can still dance without all of its members and the cheerleaders can still cheer without everyone, BUT the volleyball team cannot play unless they have so many people to field a team.:rolleyes: It is just that simple. The girls and parents knew this from day one. It is all about commitment to other people and commitment to a TEAM.
I am a 'cheer mom', but I hate to break it to you- my daughter will play volleyball, basketball or softball long before she will be going and cheering somewhere. JMO:thinking: That's all...

Well as a parent you have the right to make your kids do what you want them to do and live vicariously through them, but these girls arent your kids. The cheerleaders are a team and so are the members of the drill team. These girls and their parents CHOSE to do one sport in lieu of the other. I think the girls chose to be commited to the other activities instead of the volleyball game. Did you ever stop to consider that to the girls maybe being on the cheer squad or the drill team is more important to THEM than volleyball?

lulu
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Just cancel the football game:kiss:

Just kidding.

GrTigers6
10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Well my daughter was a volleyball player and a cheerleader and I spent many a mile driving her and 6 others from volleyball games to football games. One year from whitney to decatur. and the next week from kennedale to graham. Its just part of the commmitment for the teams and players. They would be late but they got there. This year at mineral wells game we only had 3 cheerleaders until the third quarter. If you commit to volleyball then that should be your decision. The "club" activities should follow behind because your team isnt relying on you for those. Thats my Opinion:thinking:

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Well my daughter was a volleyball player and a cheerleader and I spent many a mile driving her and 6 others from volleyball games to football games. One year from whitney to decatur. and the next week from kennedale to graham. Its just part of the commmitment for the teams and players. They would be late but they got there. This year at mineral wells game we only had 3 cheerleaders until the third quarter. If you commit to volleyball then that should be your decision. The "club" activities should follow behind because your team isnt relying on you for those. Thats my Opinion:thinking:

But it still depends on what the girls first commitment and priority is. It may differ from what everyone on here thinks it SHOULD be. That is my only point...

GrTigers6
10-01-2009, 07:17 PM
But it still depends on what the girls first commitment and priority is. It may differ from what everyone on here thinks it SHOULD be. That is my only point... I agree, but that should be in the decision to play in the beginning

Antec
10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I bet the current volleyball coach isn't there next season

Wonder why she won't make a statment or comment.

The girls never should have joined the team if they knew there was going to be a conflict in schedueling.

During tournament play in August- Schools play on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday-almost 6 matches

I'm surprised the superindent didn't step in. Wonder what the school board thinks.

Each school is different as what it's prioritie is.

They also could have brought up 4-5 junior varsity players or from the fresman team.

I

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Look...let's take WOS outa this and talk "in theory"...so no one gets offended.

What about the girl who is trying her hardest to win a scholarship through Volleyball? What about the girl who is on the opponents team, trying to do the same thing? Arent they both shorted in this decision? Every game counts...especially district games.

What about the message it sends? Forget your commitment, go with whatever you want to do.

Is it possible that some football players would forego a football game to go watch a volleyball game?? Of course not...this is Texas. You are probably chuckling at this thought like I am. But I come from a school that has won 6 state rings in the last 9 years or so. I take it seriously.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Antec
I bet the current volleyball coach isn't there next season

Wonder why she won't make a statment or comment.

The girls never should have joined the team if they knew there was going to be a conflict in schedueling.

During tournament play in August- Schools play on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday-almost 6 matches

I'm surprised the superindent didn't step in. Wonder what the school board thinks.

Each school is different as what it's prioritie is.

They also could have brought up 4-5 junior varsity players or from the fresman team.

I

I bet the VB coach is pissed about this. I dont know...but i would bet.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Look...let's take WOS outa this and talk "in theory"...so no one gets offended.

What about the girl who is trying her hardest to win a scholarship through Volleyball? What about the girl who is on the opponents team, trying to do the same thing? Arent they both shorted in this decision? Every game counts...especially district games.

What about the message it sends? Forget your commitment, go with whatever you want to do.

Is it possible that some football players would forego a football game to go watch a volleyball game?? Of course not...this is Texas. You are probably chuckling at this thought like I am. But I come from a school that has won 6 state rings in the last 9 years or so. I take it seriously.

WHAT ABOUT THE COMMITMENT TO CHEERLEAD AND DANCE?

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Simple.

Volleyball is cancelled because of your decision.

Cheerleading and dance are NOT cancelled because of your decision.

It doesnt get much simpler than this.

Let's quit dancing around the issue and say what is obvious. Screw female sports, this is football. Case closed.

3&2count
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
If the girls knew they would blow off the district volleyball games, then they should never have played. that is not fair for anyone in district. Will they blow off the next 3 or 4 Fridays?

Volleyball is a competition and cheer is cheer.

Some of you on here want to give free will to kids to blow off competition to go "watch" or "cheer" for football.

If you committ to a team then you should play it out.
Cheer is not a team it is a squad. It is for support of another sport. Why would you give up your sport to support another sport.

Maybe sometimes baseball should forfeit to come watch softball or vice versa. That would be cool.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 3&2count
If the girls knew they would blow off the district volleyball games, then they should never have played. that is not fair for anyone in district. Will they blow off the next 3 or 4 Fridays?

Volleyball is a competition and cheer is cheer.

Some of you on here want to give free will to kids to blow off competition to go "watch" or "cheer" for football.

If you committ to a team then you should play it out.
Cheer is not a team it is a squad. It is for support of another sport. Why would you give up your sport to support another sport.

Maybe sometimes baseball should forfeit to come watch softball or vice versa. That would be cool.

Do you think the other 3 girls that are hoping for a scholarship would rather have them for the entire season with the exception of one conflict, or no games at all because they cant field a team? Hmm...:thinking:

TheDOCTORdre
10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Simple.

Volleyball is cancelled because of your decision.

Cheerleading and dance are NOT cancelled because of your decision.

It doesnt get much simpler than this.

Let's quit dancing around the issue and say what is obvious. Screw female sports, this is football. Case closed.

I consider cheerleading and dance just as much sport as volleyball, thir was a story this summer where a court somewhere(i dont remember exactly)rule cheerleading a contact sport...Nonetheless I think the priority here isnt cheerleading/dance vs volleyball, its district contest vs non district...by not showing up at cheerleading it doesnt affect playoffs or anything but by not showing up to the VB game, it affects the team mates that arent involved in cheerleading and dance. If it was a non disrict volleyball game vs a non district volleyball game, the kids have a right to choose IMO. In this case I think District should hold precedent over non district but that just my opinion

pirate4state
10-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I bet the VB coach is pissed about this. I dont know...but i would bet. :iagree:

This really should be a no brainer. Those girls need to be at their DISTRICT VB game.

garciap77
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by jason

just a thought......

:iagree:

3&2count
10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Exactly District.

I don't see the build up in this. You play volleyball on Friday and football on Friday. there will be a problem if you sign up for both. You can not pick in choose in my opinion. Try winning where they can pick and choose. You won't. Commit to one or the other and be successful.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:iagree:

Thats the ticket. Just give up. Life will reward you with riches for this response to adversity. Good thinking.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I consider cheerleading and dance just as much sport as volleyball, thir was a story this summer where a court somewhere(i dont remember exactly)rule cheerleading a contact sport...Nonetheless I think the priority here isnt cheerleading/dance vs volleyball, its district contest vs non district...by not showing up at cheerleading it doesnt affect playoffs or anything but by not showing up to the VB game, it affects the team mates that arent involved in cheerleading and dance. If it was a non disrict volleyball game vs a non district volleyball game, the kids have a right to choose IMO. In this case I think District should hold precedent over non district but that just my opinion

Oh stop it. Just stop it. This isnt about being "commitment-challenged". This isnt about being torn between two equally important commitments.

This is about blowing off one commitment that you allowed your kid to make so you can be at a game you would rather watch. This is about the parents, not the kids.

garciap77
10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Thats the ticket. Just give up. Life will reward you with riches for this response to adversity. Good thinking.

It was just a thought...... I did not say I agree with the kids, I was just agreeing with jason as to what they might have been thinking!:)

3&2count
10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Would you coach at a school where you would forfeit a game so kids could go cheer? Would you ever show up on a Friday thinking you could win?

Is it strange to anyone that all 8 chose to go to football?

wimbo_pro
Originally posted by garciap77
It was just a thought...... I did not say I agree with the kids, I was just agreeing with jason as to what they might have been thinking!:)

LOL..i knew that. And thats what you get for agreeing with Jason!

garciap77
Oh stop it. Just stop it. This isnt about being "commitment-challenged". This isnt about being torn between two equally important commitments.

This is about blowing off one commitment that you allowed your kid to make so you can be at a game you would rather watch. This is about the parents, not the kids.

Now I agree with you on this! If I was one of the parents I would not have allowed it, even if it was for the state championship!

jason
10-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I consider cheerleading and dance just as much sport as volleyball

no way cheerleading is a sport...now, some cheerleaders are definitely athletes, and it takes a lot of athletic ability to do some of the things they do...but its not a sport.....

3&2count
10-01-2009, 09:52 PM
cheerleaders support a team. players play.

play or quit?

3&2count
10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
It was posted earlier. I would add the JV to my roster and play with them the rest of the year. Win or lose you atleast show up and give the other team some competion.

Every person does have a choice what to do, but every choice has a consequence.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 10:11 PM

That is a presumptious statement, dont ya think?

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
It was posted earlier. I would add the JV to my roster and play with them the rest of the year. Win or lose you atleast show up and give the other team some competion.

Every person does have a choice what to do, but every choice has a consequence.

:clap: :clap: Let those girls go cheer all they want.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 10:20 PM
That is a presumptious statement, dont ya think?

Aren't all opinions presumptious?

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Aren't all opinions presumptious?

Sure, but you assume that the parents made the decision for them and that no discussions took place about what was in the best interest of the student-athlete. Everyone is up in arms over a decision a family (NOT YOURS) made without knowing anything about it.

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I think you said it ok. Student-Athlete.

Athletes win and lose.
Cheerleaders rah rah.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Sure, but you assume that the parents made the decision for them and that no discussions took place about what was in the best interest of the student-athlete. Everyone is up in arms over a decision a family (NOT YOURS) made without knowing anything about it.

It is a forum!!! We are discussing the situation and voicing our opinions. Or at least that is what I think the idea is here. :thinking:

Emerson1
10-01-2009, 10:31 PM
You must have to really not like your sport if you would rather skip it to just stand on the sidelines and have people ignore your cheers. Even the games I've been to with really good fans, I can't ever remember them paying attention to the cheerleaders cheers.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 10:32 PM
It is a forum!!! We are discussing the situation and voicing our opinions. Or at least that is what I think the idea is here. :thinking:

I think it went past voicing opinions when everyone started bashing/slamming a group of HS girls that wanted to engage in another school activity. If you as a parent would insist that they played volleyball, then so be it, but you arent the ones to decide what is best for another families children.

RedWhiteBlue
10-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I think it went past voicing opinions when everyone started bashing/slamming a group of HS girls that wanted to engage in another school activity. If you as a parent would insist that they played volleyball, then so be it, but you arent the ones to decide what is best for another families children.

Never mind......:doh: :doh:

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Competition vs. rah rah.

Yes you pick it. Some just don't understand that you made 3 girls not play a district game. Play. Compete. Win or lose.

That is vs.
Looking cute in a uniform and rah rahing for another team.
How about yelling for your team as you whip someones butt?

the volleyball team is YOUR team.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Oh good lord. This is now officially silly. You have missed the entire point. If you think this is about girls who "just wanna cheer for their team", then you are probably one who thinks "The Simpson's" is a documentary.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh good lord. This is now officially silly. You have missed the entire point. If you think this is about girls who "just wanna cheer for their team", then you are probably one who thinks "The Simpson's" is a documentary.

Good one. :rolleyes:

Or could it be because IT ISNT YOUR FAMILY AND NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE? :hand:

3&2count
10-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Those other 3 girls have no choice. What do you say to them. How do you coach them the rest of the year?

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Good one. :rolleyes:

Or could it be because IT ISNT YOUR FAMILY AND NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE? :hand:

wow. I guess you are right. good point.

New rule ...no commenting on ANY topic unless your family is directly involved.

Let's call it the Rockdale Rule.

Let's see how long this lasts in Rockdale.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 10:55 PM
wow. I guess you are right. good point.

New rule ...no commenting on ANY topic unless your family is directly involved.

Let's call it the Rockdale Rule.

Let's see how long this lasts in Rockdale.

Dang...another nice stab at me for disagreeing.

Keep making jabs at a group of 16 year old girls and their family. I am guessing it makes you feel like a better person.

:2thumbsup

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Dang...another nice stab at me for disagreeing.

Keep making jabs at a group of 16 year old girls and their family. I am guessing it makes you feel like a better person.

:2thumbsup

oh stop the martyr crap. This has never been about the girls. For the 10th time in this thread...maybe more...its not about the girls. Its about parents who allow these decisions. Follow the bouncing ball...

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 11:00 PM
oh stop the martyr crap. This has never been about the girls. For the 10th time in this thread...maybe more...its not about the girls. Its about parents who allow these decisions. Follow the bouncing ball...

God forbid the girls have a say-so in any of this. I bet the parents didnt get buy-in or feedback from them at all. Were all the questions about integrity and commitment directed towards the parents? Didnt think so...

WOS87
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
UPDATE: The volleyball game between WOS and Hardin-Jefferson scheduled for Friday, Oct. 2 will be played at the end of the season if necessary. H-J's agreement to move the game will keep WOS from having to forfeit the contest.

Just posted over on KOGT... scroll down a little ways and you'll see it.

Click here --->LINK (http://www.kogt.com/kogt_sports.htm)

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
UPDATE: The volleyball game between WOS and Hardin-Jefferson scheduled for Friday, Oct. 2 will be played at the end of the season if necessary. H-J's agreement to move the game will keep WOS from having to forfeit the contest.

Interesting...:thinking:

3&2count
10-01-2009, 11:05 PM
they can decide and choose anything they want. Don't be surprised if your spot on the VB team is not there when you return.

The girls decided a flip flop is more important than a DISTRICT VOLLBEYBALL game. That is the missing point. DISTRICT> PLAYOFFS.

Twist that how you want it but if you are a competitor you compete and try to win. You don't win jack on the sideline at a football game.

The boys win or lose. The girls do a good job of watching and eating during the 3rd quarter.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 11:07 PM
they can decide and choose anything they want. Don't be surprised if your spot on the VB team is not there when you return.

The girls decided a flip flop is more important than a DISTRICT VOLLBEYBALL game. That is the missing point. DISTRICT> PLAYOFFS.

Twist that how you want it but if you are a competitor you compete and try to win. You don't win jack on the sideline at a football game.

The boys win or lose. The girls do a good job of watching and eating during the 3rd quarter.

You must have not made the cheer squad Nancy.:hand:

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:08 PM
God forbid the girls have a say-so in any of this. I bet the parents didnt get buy-in or feedback from them at all. Were all the questions about integrity and commitment directed towards the parents? Didnt think so...

It's ALL been directed towards the parents...certainly from my posts. I assume you have been reading other posts here on this topic.

And as far as "girls have a say-so"...good luck with that when trying to instill a sense of commitment and right-wrong.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Good to hear, WOS87. This is a far better outcome than what was earlier printed
"...the West Orange-Stark Lady Mustang volleyball team will likely forfeit their District 21-3A volleyball match Friday".

Glad they did this.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 11:12 PM
It's ALL been directed towards the parents...certainly from my posts. I assume you have been reading other posts here on this topic.

And as far as "girls have a say-so"...good luck with that when trying to instill a sense of commitment and right-wrong.

Look, I understand your position 100%, but I have reserved the right to not toss in my opinion on something that was, in my opinion, a family matter for those involved. I am sure that it wasnt an easy decision and I would be willing to bet there is more to the story than the paper reported. Personally, I think they should have played volleyball, but that is for them and their parents to decide.

3&2count
10-01-2009, 11:13 PM
You must have not made the cheer squad Nancy.:hand:

I did try out and failed miserably. I couldn't do anything right. I did throw a baseball pretty well though.

I guess you made the "squad" and made that tough decision on Friday Nights. Rah rah ree kick em in the knee..... Go tigers.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Look, I understand your position 100%, but I have reserved the right to not toss in my opinion on something that was, in my opinion, a family matter for those involved. I am sure that it wasnt an easy decision and I would be willing to bet there is more to the story than the paper reported. Personally, I think they should have played volleyball, but that is for them and their parents to decide.

I understand, rockdale. And me and you are fine, as far as i am concerned. But if its printed in the paper and open for discussion here on the boards, its open for discussion. If this had to do with something other than sports, then I would probably agree with you...or it would be moved to the other threads!

wimbo_pro
10-01-2009, 11:17 PM
And lastly...i dont consider it a family matter when it affects the entire team that you committed to. it's now a team matter.

rockdale80
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I did try out and failed miserably. I couldn't do anything right. I did throw a baseball pretty well though.

I guess you made the "squad" and made that tough decision on Friday Nights. Rah rah ree kick em in the knee..... Go tigers.

Yep. I make bloomers look good;)

AggiesAreWe
10-02-2009, 12:03 AM
The "rescheduling" of this game is just a cop out. The game has meaning with it being just the 3rd district game, but more than likely when the season ends, the "rescheduled" game will not matter (probably what they are counting on) and the game will never be played.

WOS should kiss the feet of HJ for agreeing to "reschedule" this game.

Trust me, this game will never be played.:rolleyes:

WOS87
10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
The "rescheduling" of this game is just a cop out. The game has meaning with it being just the 3rd district game, but more than likely when the season ends, the "rescheduled" game will not matter (probably what they are counting on) and the game will never be played.

WOS should kiss the feet of HJ for agreeing to "reschedule" this game.

Trust me, this game will never be played.:rolleyes:

I can guarantee you the WO-S faithful thank you for your sincere and genuine concern about the whole situation!

AggiesAreWe
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I can guarantee you the WO-S faithful thank you for your sincere and genuine concern about the whole situation!

My pleasure.

lulu
10-02-2009, 12:11 AM

Touche....wasn't that all a lot of nothing.:D