PDA

View Full Version : State Championship Site

SHSBulldog00
09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Do you like what 5A has done with a pre determined site that changes every year or how we do it (site is based on the teams)?

Old Green
09-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't like the predetermined site idea. I like it the way it is now that lets the teams decide.

easttexas3a
09-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I have always thought there should be roughly 10 sites that can house a state championship, and then the two teams can decide which one of those sites to play in. My reasoning is because one year I rmemeber MArshall playing Highland park at rose stadium, and the game should have been played at a bigger place.

Rabid Cougar
09-30-2009, 04:34 AM
Site to be determined

injuredinmelee
09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Hate the new format.

poisoned10
09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
I have always thought there should be roughly 10 sites that can house a state championship, and then the two teams can decide which one of those sites to play in.

:ditto:

GreenMonster
09-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I have always thought there should be roughly 10 sites that can house a state championship, and then the two teams can decide which one of those sites to play in. My reasoning is because one year I rmemeber MArshall playing Highland park at rose stadium, and the game should have been played at a bigger place. Yep, Marshall won the toss and chose Tyler's Rose Stadium. HP had Texas Stadium reserved, but Marshall balked at playing on the other side of HP (can't say that I blame them.) There really wasn't anything suitable in between the two communities. I for one like the predetermined site. Think it would be even better if all Championship games are played at one site. 1 on Friday night and 4 on Saturday. Make it a huge festival type atmosphere. Don't necessarily play the games in succession of A to AAAAA, mix it up and have the class A game right before the AAAAA game so that the crowd is huge for those small town kids.

LE Dad
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I have always thought there should be roughly 10 sites that can house a state championship, and then the two teams can decide which one of those sites to play in. My reasoning is because one year I rmemeber MArshall playing Highland park at rose stadium, and the game should have been played at a bigger place. That was sooooo Hilarious!! I remember the HP boosters bought air time on several different TV stations because there weren't enough seats at the stadium. That was intentionally done by Marshall. The next year Texas High had their playoff game with HP in Shreveport La. It is all part of the fun.:D

LE Dad
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Yep, Marshall won the toss and chose Tyler's Rose Stadium. HP had Texas Stadium reserved, but Marshall balked at playing on the other side of HP (can't say that I blame them.) There really wasn't anything suitable in between the two communities. I for one like the predetermined site. Think it would be even better if all Championship games are played at one site. 1 on Friday night and 4 on Saturday. Make it a huge festival type atmosphere. Don't necessarily play the games in succession of A to AAAAA, mix it up and have the class A game right before the AAAAA game so that the crowd is huge for those small town kids. In the 05 semis LE played in Texas Stadium after 2 other games from the Metroplex area. Some of their fans stayed and watched. It was like you said, festival type atmosphere.

waterboy
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
That was sooooo Hilarious!! I remember the HP boosters bought air time on several different TV stations because there weren't enough seats at the stadium. That was intentionally done by Marshall. The next year Texas High had their playoff game with HP in Shreveport La. It is all part of the fun.:D
What wasn't funny was the 59-0 shellacking they got from HP.:doh: I think it's safe to say they didn't like what Marshall did, and proceeded to take it out on 'em in the game.:(

LE Dad
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
What wasn't funny was the 59-0 shellacking they got from HP.:doh: I think it's safe to say they didn't like what Marshall did, and proceeded to take it out on 'em in the game.:( It wasn't very funny for Marshall. Matt Stafford and HP put on a passing clinic. It was nice to get to see it on TV though :D

Matthew328
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Like everyone said it was real funny til HP opened up a can of whoop ass on em...that game could have easily been 80-0...not so funny for Marshall after that

LE Dad
09-30-2009, 11:34 AM
There are tons of stories like HP - Marshall out there. I know LE has had issues with teams not wanting to play at night or on turf and various other BS. It is all part of the playoffs not to mention, that ticket prices would probably go up. UIL will no doubt get their piece of the pie increased.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D Leave it alone, and let the kids and coaches have a say. It is their time to shine.:clap: :clap:

Rabid Cougar
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
They all should be played at Floyd Casey. so I don't have to drive very far to see them.

venomous tat2
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Play them all @ one site ( A ) Alamodome ( B ) Texas Stadium
( C ) Floyd Casey Stadium change sites each year :

Div I Fri 1A- 5:30 , 2A- 8:00
Sat 3A- noon , 4A- 4 PM , 5A 7:30

Use the same format for Div II the next week

Basketball & Baseball plays at the same site why not Football ? :thinking: But it would never happen lol

scrub c
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2

Basketball & Baseball plays at the same site why not Football ? :thinking: But it would never happen lol

I guess that would be okay, but rotate the times. Personally, I would not want the noon game every year...

Move The Chains
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Basketball & Baseball plays at the same site why not Football ? :thinking: But it would never happen lol Do you think those stadiums could handle 3 SC games in one day?

I saw 2 at reliant last year and that was nuts.

KTJ
09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
The state of Florida holds all of there State Finals games (Class 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A) all at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

It's divided up into two weekends and draws huge crowds. It's a centralized location and everyone knows what their end of the year goal is.

I think the predetermined sites are better.

EDIT: The Citrus Bowl is a grass surface and still has to host 2 college bowl games AFTER the state championship weekends.

Move The Chains
09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
The state of Florida holds all of there State Finals games (Class 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A) all at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

It's divided up into two weekends and draws huge crowds. It's a centralized location and everyone knows what their end of the year goal is.

I think the predetermined sites are better. I could live with Austin every year because it's central.... but I mean, if the valley guys had to go to Dallas, or if some west Texas guys had to come to Houston.... that would be brutal.

I think the coaches picking a site that is somewhat neutral to the teams is best for everyone, so long as the stadium can hold the crowd. But there are lots of places.

Texas Stadium, Reliant, Kyle Field, Floyd Casey, Alamodome, etc.

waterboy
09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
NO FLOYD CASEY!! That stadium sucks!! I'd rather play in a pasture midway between the competing towns than to play there!:D

venomous tat2
09-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Well thats why I had San Antonio , Dallas & Waco . Waco to me is in the center of everything .

waterboy
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Well thats why I had San Antonio , Dallas & Waco . Waco to me is in the center of everything .
It's also a lot closer to Navasota than we are, but Floyd Casey still sucks. IF we were going to have a predetermined site for the SC game, I'd prefer it to be anywhere other than there.:D Austin and Houston is further away from us, but I'd go for that more than I would Waco. :thinking: Now......Dallas?........I could certainly go for that..:thumbsup: It would be NICE if it were played in an indoor stadium, too.:D

Txbroadcaster
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
The HP-Marshall game was not about anything except HP thought Marshall would bow th their demands.

Marshall offered other places besides Rose Stadium but HP kept saying no. so they flipped Marshall won. Rose Stadium had enough seating. HP was the one who messed up their situation by how they sold their tickets. But when the game was played there was still seating avaliable.

The game itself was an easy one to see coming. Marshall was not a state Finalist ability wise. they had a very easy road to the state title game that year and HP had been tested 2 or 3 times by that point.

Matthew328
09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
The HP-Stephenville game the week before was classic...Stafford vs. Jevan Snead...

rojosgirl
10-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Mix it up some. Let the coaches decide.

PHS Wildcats
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
nm

PHS Wildcats
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

I think the predetermined sites are better.

EDIT: The Citrus Bowl is a grass surface and still has to host 2 college bowl games AFTER the state championship weekends. Yea, they change it this year. Before they usually play at "The Swamp" Florida Stadium in Gainesville.

LE Dad
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The HP-Stephenville game the week before was classic...Stafford vs. Jevan Snead... The week prior was Stafford v Mallett. SEC would be hurting if not for Texas QBs.:thinking:

Trashman
10-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
I could live with Austin every year because it's central.... but I mean, if the valley guys had to go to Dallas, or if some west Texas guys had to come to Houston.... that would be brutal.

I think the coaches picking a site that is somewhat neutral to the teams is best for everyone, so long as the stadium can hold the crowd. But there are lots of places.

Texas Stadium, Reliant, Kyle Field, Floyd Casey, Alamodome, etc.

Not that they will ever get there, but ask an El paso team if they think Austin is central.:rolleyes:

LE Dad
10-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The HP-Marshall game was not about anything except HP thought Marshall would bow th their demands.
Preaching to the choir. Texas High played them back to back years. :doh: :doh:

:D Too much fun, and drama; gets the fans into it more. All that would be gone with pre determined sites.

garciap77
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Not that they will ever get there, but ask an El paso team if they think Austin is central.:rolleyes:

If the made that far, I don't think they would care!:)

LH_Tuff
10-02-2009, 07:24 AM
NO FLOYD CASEY!! That stadium sucks!! I'd rather play in a pasture midway between the competing towns than to play there!:D

Oh, come on Waterboy, you know you love Floyd Casey. :devil:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Yep, Marshall won the toss and chose Tyler's Rose Stadium. HP had Texas Stadium reserved, but Marshall balked at playing on the other side of HP (can't say that I blame them.) There really wasn't anything suitable in between the two communities. I for one like the predetermined site. Think it would be even better if all Championship games are played at one site. 1 on Friday night and 4 on Saturday. Make it a huge festival type atmosphere. Don't necessarily play the games in succession of A to AAAAA, mix it up and have the class A game right before the AAAAA game so that the crowd is huge for those small town kids.

I like this idea, and have the site rotate every year as well. SA to Dallas to Austin, etc.

waterboy
10-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
Oh, come on Waterboy, you know you love Floyd Casey. :devil:
Truthfully, it makes me no never mind, but I still don't like that stadium. Never have, never will. It's just a cold place, bbrrrrrr.....:D

LH_Tuff
10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Truthfully, it makes me no never mind, but I still don't like that stadium. Never have, never will. It's just a cold place, bbrrrrrr.....:D

You are right about the cold. I have been to some brutally cold games at Floyd Casey. The wind is the worst. I am for indoor games in December. ;)

waterboy
10-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
You are right about the cold. I have been to some brutally cold games at Floyd Casey. The wind is the worst. I am for indoor games in December. ;)
Now THAT I can agree on!:clap: :D

jdawg2012
10-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I think it should be pre-determined BUT be like baseball. Have it in Austin. After all, it is the STATE championship; why not have it in the STATE capital.

wimbo_pro
10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Floyd Casey is a great place...pretty much central to all (with some exceptions throughout the years), it should be THE place for 3A finals.

Buckeye1980
10-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Would be nice but I think Texas Stadium is out of the mix, City of Irving is taking bids for demolition!

Buckeye1980
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I believe if you took a poll of the kids in the state right now the choices would be

1) The Palace in Dallas
2) Reliant Stadium
3) DKR Stadium in Austin
4) Kyle Field

I might be wrong , but not by much

venomous tat2
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I believe if you took a poll of the kids in the state right now the choices would be

1) The Palace in Dallas
2) Reliant Stadium
3) DKR Stadium in Austin
4) Kyle Field

I might be wrong , but not by much

They might want to play @ the new Cowboys stadium now lol

hollywood
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jdawg2012
I think it should be pre-determined BUT be like baseball. Have it in Austin. After all, it is the STATE championship; why not have it in the STATE capital.

:clap: That's what I'm talking about. And after the national anthem is sung they should play The Eyes of Texas. Have the games over a 2 day period in DKR Memorial Stadium. Now that would be somethin'.

STANG RED
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
There is a very good arguement for a pre determined site, and it would be a blast to attend, much like the basketball site at Austin. But it could be very unfair for a team that might have to travel 300+ miles, and play a team thats playing in their own back yard. For that reason alone, I'm against it.

hollywood
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
That is a good argument as well. Travel for some teams would be a challenge. But how often would a team from way out west be in the state championship game? :thinking: Look at where the majority of the population is in Texas. Austin is basically the center of it. Therefore, the games should happen in Austin IMO. It would be a great opportunity for HS football fans to catch teams they may never get to see play... like Brownwood.:D

STANG RED
10-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
That is a good argument as well. Travel for some teams would be a challenge. But how often would a team from way out west be in the state championship game? :thinking: Look at where the majority of the population is in Texas. Austin is basically the center of it. Therefore, the games should happen in Austin IMO. It would be a great opportunity for HS football fans to catch teams they may never get to see play... like Brownwood.:D

Its not just way out west that Im talking about though. It would be a very long haul for any panhandle, or far east school as well. Not so bad for the rest of the state.

Take Canadian for instance, who has a great 1A program. Canadian to Austin is over 500 miles. About the same for Perryton, Pampa, Borger, Dalhart, ect...
Texarkana to Austin is nearly 400 miles. Not much less for Dangerfield or Tatum.
Beaumont to Austin is about 250. About the same for Celina.

hollywood
10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Its not just way out west that Im talking about though. It would be a very long haul for any panhandle, or far east school as well. Not so bad for the rest of the state.

Take Canadian for instance, who has a great 1A program. Canadian to Austin is over 500 miles. About the same for Perryton, Pampa, Borger, Dalhart, ect...
Texarkana to Austin is nearly 400 miles. Not much less for Dangerfield or Tatum.
Beaumont to Austin is about 250. About the same for Celina.

Even though this seems a long way to travel for some towns, some have to anyway. Look at Canadian... even if they were to make it to another state championship game, they would still have to travel far whoever they would play. Same with Odessa, Frendship, Texarkana, El Paso, Brownsville, Sweetwater... oh wait, what are the odds of any of those teams making it to the state game? Slim to my point earlier... in the majority of the states population sits Austin. Point being, the teams that would have to travel further, are used to it by that point AND if you were a player, wouldn't it be icing on the cake to play the state game in such a great stadium as DKR? I think the little extra milage some would have to travel would be worth it. I don't know, just thinking back when we used to scrimmage Bastrop at DKR every year and how great the experience was. Who knows what would happen in the future. Same with realignments, who knows what the UIL will do.

LE Dad
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
wouldn't it be icing on the cake to play the state game in such a great stadium as DKR? NO

LE Dad
10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Even though this seems a long way to travel for some towns, some have to anyway. Look at Canadian... even if they were to make it to another state championship game, they would still have to travel far whoever they would play. Same with Odessa, Frendship, Texarkana, El Paso, Brownwood, Sweetwater... Texarkana has had 4 title appearances in the past 10 yrs. I understand your inexperience in dealing with this issue though.:rolleyes:

:D

BobcatBenny
10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
If you want to know the State Championship Site, you are all just going to have to put Coach Butch Ford's phone number on your speed dial list. ;)

Post #2973