PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M marches out from anonymity into Cowboys Stadium

IrishTex
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Unless you've been at Kyle Field or obtained access to game film, Texas A&M's football season has begun in full-fledged stealth mode.

Bigfoot and Elvis have been more visible.

Sure, the Aggies have played (apparently) well, starting 3-0 and leading the nation in total offense. Their accomplishments have come in a media vacuum, with nontelevised wins over New Mexico, Utah State and Alabama-Birmingham.

The anonymity ends Saturday against Arkansas at Cowboys Stadium on ESPN2. Anyone interested will get a good look at the Aggies and have a chance to assess the progress from last season.

So how improved is A&M from a forgettable 4-8 season in 2008?

"I think we're a good team," said senior defensive back Jordan Pugh, of Plano West. "I think this will be our biggest challenge and how we handle the challenge, we'll find out on Saturday. ...

"The way we've played in the first three, it's fun to be around and see the hard work we've put in."

Quarterback Jerrod Johnson has looked far more settled in the pocket, ranking third nationally in total offense while throwing for nine touchdown passes with zero interceptions. The 1,723 total yards in three games represents the quickest offensive start in A&M history.

With games remaining against Big 12 North stragglers Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado and a Robert Griffin-less Baylor, a bowl seems a distinct possibility.

Coach Mike Sherman claimed a realistic middle ground Monday.

"Like I told the players this morning ... they've done everything I've asked them to do," Sherman said. "I'm proud of them for that.

"At the same time we're 3-0, and that's great. But we do keep things in perspective. I realize we haven't played a top-20 or -25 team in our three wins."

The speed of the game against Arkansas (1-2) will increase dramatically, Sherman said.

Mistakes that A&M has been able to shrug off, such as excessive penalties or a couple of muffed kicks, will be potentially fatal.

"I'm very aware of where we are and what we need to do in order to go up to Dallas and play Arkansas," Sherman said.

Quick starts against underwhelming opposition can either disguise major problems or build much-needed confidence.

In 2007, the Aggies won their first three games with only Fresno State providing significant opposition and scored 139 points in the process. A 34-17 loss at Miami exposed the Aggies, who finished 7-6 in Dennis Franchione's final season.

The same year, Kansas faced a creampuff nonconference schedule after a 6-6 season. The Jayhawks started winning and never stopped, eventually finishing 12-1 with a FedEx Orange Bowl win over Virginia Tech.

So far, A&M has attracted its fair share of skeptics.

"Everybody is saying we haven't played anyone, that we're still the same team from last year and that we won the games we were supposed to win," defensive back Trent Hunter said. "To be that team that's still flying under the radar, I guess that's something that works for us. ...

"If it was up to me, I would like to be ranked as high as possible."

RANKING UP
Here's where A&M ranks among Big 12 schools in several key offensive categories.
Category Average Rnk.
Scoring offense 45.0 ppg 2nd
Rushing offense 244.0 ypg 1st
Passing offense 330.3 ypg 2nd
Total offense 574.3 ypg 1st

Link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/092909dnspocarlton.3f0ac66.html)

Keith7
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
did you write this?

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 06:09 PM
#1 in the nation in yardage! :clap:

95mustang
09-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Who have they played?

navscanmaster
09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
The Aggies could beat everybody and Texas and somehow, every team they faced and their fans would have an excuse. I have come to accept that as a devoted Aggie Fan. I have only been able to make one game this year, UAB, since I just don't make as much money as I did last year (thank you tanked economy). I plan on making at least the OSU game to support both the Aggies and the Navasota Rattlers, who have three players from last year suited up in that game.

IrishTex
09-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
did you write this?

No, which is why I supplied the link at the bottom so anyone that wondered could click on the link and see where it came from..

:D

navscanmaster
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
No, which is why I supplied the link at the bottom so anyone that wondered could click on the link and see where it came from..

He is grouchy because the Cowboys won last night and somebody is saying good things about A&M.

IrishTex
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
He is grouchy because the Cowboys won last night and somebody is saying good things about A&M.

:clap: :clap:

Daddy D 11
09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
What time is the game?

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Who have they played? University of New Mexico (UNM) W 41-6

Utah St W 38-30

University of Alabama - Birmingham (UAB) W 56-19

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
What time is the game? 6:30 Oct 3 @ Cowboys Stadium

Arkansas is 1-2, coming off a 35-7 loss to #3 Alabama.

STANG RED
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
The Aggies could beat everybody and Texas and somehow, every team they faced and their fans would have an excuse. I have come to accept that as a devoted Aggie Fan.

You say that as if the Aggies have been beating good teams every year and finishing with 12 wins, yet getting no respect for it. Problem is, that hasnt been the case at all. They've been beating a few mediocre teams and finishing seasons at or below 500. If they can put it on Arkansas, they'll start getting some respect. Beating nobodies and having impressive numbers doing it, means nothing. Do it against the big boys, and the Ags will get all the respect they deserve. I hope they can.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You say that as if the Aggies have been beating good teams every year and finishing with 12 wins, yet getting no respect for it. Problem is, that hasnt been the case at all. They've been beating a few mediocre teams and finishing seasons at or below 500. If they can put it on Arkansas, they'll start getting some respect. Beating nobodies and having impressive numbers doing it, means nothing. Do it against the big boys, and the Ags will get all the respect they deserve. I hope they can. As a devoted Aggie fan, I agree. We haven't really beaten anyone.

I mean, we've won 3 games that we were supposed to win. Now should we keep it up, we'll get respect. I think A&M is going undefeated this year. :cool:

navscanmaster
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
As a devoted Aggie fan, I agree. We haven't really beaten anyone.

I mean, we've won 3 games that we were supposed to win. Now should we keep it up, we'll get respect. I think A&M is going undefeated this year. :cool:

I doubt undefeated, but wouldn't that be lovely. No, I have no illusions that any of the three opponents were worthy of praise, but my point is that instead of a person saying "well, they started out this year much better than last year", we get "they haven't played anybody." Coach Sherman said it best when he said that their goal is improvement and getting better every week. Anybody who crowns them at this point in the season is a complete buffoon, and that even goes for the top teams. A lot of strange things can happen in the course of a season.

That said, do I see the Aggies losing 49-9 or 66-28 this year? No.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
You say that as if the Aggies have been beating good teams every year and finishing with 12 wins, yet getting no respect for it. Problem is, that hasnt been the case at all. They've been beating a few mediocre teams and finishing seasons at or below 500. If they can put it on Arkansas, they'll start getting some respect. Beating nobodies and having impressive numbers doing it, means nothing. Do it against the big boys, and the Ags will get all the respect they deserve. I hope they can.

It means something to us. But you're right, we still have a lot to prove. Don't down the teams we've played, they played tough and did their best. We're still looking to improve and will do our best to do that. Our goal is to obviously do well and win every game, and we've put in a lot of hard work and effort into that. No matter what that can't be taken away from us and you won't see us quit. I'm really proud of my team and how much we've grown. We've accomplished things this season in the three games that we have won that we didn't last year and have learned a lot. How much that translates will be determined in the future, but we are definitely going to keep playing tough and playing to win. We aren't letting the media pump us up, but we certainly aren't going to allow it to make it look like we've done nothing so far this year, because the progress has been tremendous.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It means something to us. But you're right, we still have a lot to prove. Don't down the teams we've played, they played tough and did their best. We're still looking to improve and will do our best to do that. Our goal is to obviously do well and win every game, and we've put in a lot of hard work and effort into that. No matter what that can't be taken away from us and you won't see us quit. I'm really proud of my team and how much we've grown. We've accomplished things this season in the three games that we have won that we didn't last year and have learned a lot. How much that translates will be determined in the future, but we are definitely going to keep playing tough and playing to win. We aren't letting the media pump us up, but we certainly aren't going to allow it to make it look like we've done nothing so far this year, because the progress has been tremendous. What he said! :clap:

dawg4life
09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
honestly they can win 8 or more games this year. Remaining schedule:

Arkansas: I think A&M can win this game.Just get to mallet and he hesitates.

Oklahoma State: Its at Kyle. They have a chance but proabably not

Kansas State: Wow. KSU looks HORRIBLE.

Texas Tceh: They are rebuilding again but probably not as much as A&M. I say A&M wins this one or against t.u.

Iowa State: Game, set, match

Colorado: That coach maybe fired by this week.

Oklahoma: Aggies dont have a chance. sorry ags

Baylor: Without Griffin, Ags get the nod.

t.u.: At Kyle and we all know A&M could have the worst team in history vs tu's best and A&M

So that looks like 8 auto wins and 4 tough games that A&M could win 2. A&M could end up in the holiday bowl

STANG RED
09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It means something to us. But you're right, we still have a lot to prove. Don't down the teams we've played, they played tough and did their best. We're still looking to improve and will do our best to do that. Our goal is to obviously do well and win every game, and we've put in a lot of hard work and effort into that. No matter what that can't be taken away from us and you won't see us quit. I'm really proud of my team and how much we've grown. We've accomplished things this season in the three games that we have won that we didn't last year and have learned a lot. How much that translates will be determined in the future, but we are definitely going to keep playing tough and playing to win. We aren't letting the media pump us up, but we certainly aren't going to allow it to make it look like we've done nothing so far this year, because the progress has been tremendous.

I completely agree with you BBDE. My post was in no way a slam on you guys. It was just completely a response to the post I referenced in mine. Yall have started your season with a bang against the competition in front of you, which is all you can do. I've always been an Ags fan, and have wondered for years why they weren’t playing much better football than what we've seen. Its not like they don’t get lots of great recruits every year. I'm glad to see it looking like it may be turning around now. I just want to see the apparent improvement continue against the higher level of competition that is sure to come. As a realist though, I’ll just have to see it first. Make me a believer. I want to believe.

SHSBulldog00
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Arkansas backs out of a game against Texas a week before but will play A&M?

Go Aggies beat the crap out of the Razorbacks!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I completely agree with you BBDE. My post was in no way a slam on you guys. It was just completely a response to the post I referenced in mine. Yall have started your season with a bang against the competition in front of you, which is all you can do. I've always been an Ags fan, and have wondered for years why they weren’t playing much better football than what we've seen. Its not like they don’t get lots of great recruits every year. I'm glad to see it looking like it may be turning around now. I just want to see the apparent improvement continue against the higher level of competition that is sure to come. As a realist though, I’ll just have to see it first. Make me a believer. I want to believe.

Well I never took it as that. I just wanted to give you an idea of the attitude in the locker room. We give the opponents we have faced all the credit in the world because we too have been where they are and hold a high level of respect. We also know that we have a lot to work on and the quest for improvement for us is something that is never ending. We have a lot of determination and pride and will play to the best of our abilities. We finally have some swagger to us as a team and are coming together. Myself and everyone on the team looks for us to do big things and we refuse to surrender.

JasperDog94
09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dawg4life
t.u. lame...:rolleyes:

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey! I just got some tickets for the game on Sat in Dallas. SCORE!

Hellz yea. I'll be watching my Ags BTHO Arkansas!

Gobbla2001
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
lame...:rolleyes:

ditto...

anyway, to add my opinion on A&M, they've done exactly what a team like A&M is supposed to do every year, beat programs like NM, UAB and Utah State or whatever that one was... jury's still out, we'll see, they do look good...

BobcatBenny
09-30-2009, 07:37 AM
It will be interesting to see the side efffects of this game.

IMO ... It will probably do more to push Arkansas or A&M into the "Other "category than anything.

It will be interesting to see how the media spins the results.

navscanmaster
09-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
lame...:rolleyes:

Yeah, it is lame, but if you have ever been in College Station, it is so prevalent around town and the campus that it just becomes second nature when referring to the University of Texas @ Austin. Kind of like a dis without trying for most Ags. It is much better than being called a "faggie" IMHO.

P.S. I don't use the t.u. thing, just sharing my p.o.v. and experience.

TheDOCTORdre
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it is lame, but if you have ever been in College Station, it is so prevalent around town and the campus that it just becomes second nature when referring to the University of Texas @ Austin. Kind of like a dis without trying for most Ags. It is much better than being called a "faggie" IMHO.

P.S. I don't use the t.u. thing, just sharing my p.o.v. and experience.

and thats the culture we live in folks...if everyon else is doing it...

I'm just playing, in all honesty I get what you're sayin...don't like it but i get what you mean

JasperDog94
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM

P.S. I don't use the t.u. thing, just sharing my p.o.v. and experience. I think you are exactly right. But for the most part this board has been devoid of that kind of name calling. Some of that has to do with the fact that UT/A&M hasn't been much of a rivalry lately due to the downturn in the A&M program.

Having said that A&M has looked good this year (so I've heard) and could be taking a step forward. I hope that is the case. It's always more fun when both teams have something on the line when they play each other.

bandera7
10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
My only issue here in Aggieland is the lack of credit Cyrus Gray is getting. Everybody wants to talk about our freshman skill players, particularly Christine Michael and how good he looks. However, Gray is doing all the rough work. He will carry the ball 5 times in 7 or 8 plays and then all of a sudden, Michael gets to come in fresh, with a tired defense. Gray is the engine that is making our offense roll, keeping it balanced, and is also completely overlooked.

Move The Chains
10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
My only issue here in Aggieland is the lack of credit Cyrus Gray is getting. Everybody wants to talk about our freshman skill players, particularly Christine Michael and how good he looks. However, Gray is doing all the rough work. He will carry the ball 5 times in 7 or 8 plays and then all of a sudden, Michael gets to come in fresh, with a tired defense. Gray is the engine that is making our offense roll, keeping it balanced, and is also completely overlooked. ????

This is attempts.... yards.... ypc...... tds... and avg per game.

Gray, Cyrus 44 200 4.5 2 66.7

Johnson, Jerrod 38 196 5.2 4 65.3

Michael, Christine 28 187 6.7 1 93.5

The only reason Gray has more carries and yards is because CM only played in 2 games.

In both games he played, he had more carries and yards. :thinking:

I'm not trying to downplay all the great things Cyrus has done.... but I don't know which Aggies you've been watching.

In the two games he's played, CM has been the feature back.

GreenMachine
10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I went to the Aggie/UAB game and was impressed. Having said that, I don't think they are ready for the "big boys" of the Big 12. UAB opened up some HUGE holes against the Aggie defensive front and I believe good running teams will give them trouble. They are athletic, they look more like a team this year, but they are young and need some more experience. However, they play hard to the whistle and give you all they got. Mistakes will happen with the youth and inexperience, but I think a bowl bid is definitely within reach :thumbsup:

Trashman
10-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Good luck to the Ag's, may you get the respect that you deserve.:D :thumbsup:

ivchris
10-03-2009, 08:26 PM
They should've stayed in obscurity. Right now Arkansas is giving Jerry Jones a wet dream.

Gobbla2001
10-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Texas A&M marches out from anonymity and into hog crap... I thought it'd take 'em a while to get going on both sides of the ball, but I thought it'd be before they were getting their butts presented to them...

navscanmaster
10-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
They should've stayed in obscurity. Right now Arkansas is giving Jerry Jones a wet dream.

One might think he bought the refs too, with all the A&M penalties. In reality, every penalty was valid against A&M outside of the OPI 15 yarder against Cyrus Gray. That one wouldn't have even mattered since Morrow was 3 yards short of the 1st with the catch, but the defensive penalties when A&M had Arky stopped were BIG.

By the way, Ryan Mallett is deadly with good protection.

LE Dad
10-03-2009, 09:00 PM

By the way, Ryan Mallett is deadly with good protection. Ryan is stud. He has gone toe to toe with Harrell from Ennis and Stafford from HP. Arkansas has a chance to do some good things the next 2 years. I hate that because they have the most arrogant, obnoxious fans in the world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big daddy russ
10-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
ROFL.

sinton66
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Not looking good for the Ags. The Big 12 is a lot tougher than Arkansas.

IrishTex
10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
OK, yes the Ags lost.

Do they have a ton of under-classmen? Yes

Are they using that as an excuse? No way.

Seems kinda funny to me how everyone is ready to hate Texas A&M for being young and inexperienced, but the truth is, they have lost less than Oklahoma at this point.

I made that statement to signify that the Aggies are doing everything they can to turn their program around. I don't really understand how you can't admire the hard work and courage that these players are going through right now.

LE Dad
10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Not looking good for the Ags. The Big 12 is a lot tougher than Arkansas. Yes they are and Arkansas knows it. That is why Arkansas backed or payed its way out of a 6 game deal with Texas last year. Now they have 9 more years with A&M , the next 2 with Ryan and they have a Freshman receiver from Texarkana that can fly. Unless A&M steps up this game is going to cause a recruiting drain. All Texas kids want to play in Cowboys Stadium and they want to play for the winning team. I am a Texas fan; I want our kids playing in Texas not Oklahoma and certainly not Arkansas.

:cool:

Daddy D 11
10-04-2009, 09:50 AM
but the truth is, they have lost less than Oklahoma at this point.

Have you compared OU's and A&M's schedule?:thinking:

NastySlot
10-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Have you compared OU's and A&M's schedule?:thinking:

i think he was comparing records?

sinton66
10-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Not looking good for the Ags. The Big 12 is a lot tougher than Arkansas.

My bad, should have added "this year" to the first sentence.

Daddy D 11
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i think he was comparing records?

I was inferring that if you put A&M in Oklahoma's schedule, they'd be 2-2 right now also. If not 1-3.

Put Oklahoma in A&M's schedule and they're #3 in the country and 4-0.

navscanmaster
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I was inferring that if you put A&M in Oklahoma's schedule, they'd be 2-2 right now also. If not 1-3.

Put Oklahoma in A&M's schedule and they're #3 in the country and 4-0.

X2

IrishTex
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Wow......

I take a day off from reviewing this board and all Hades breaks loose...

Only on this board can a player from the Texas Aggies call me out and I'm an AGGIE fan...

Only on this board, can people be so disrepectgul.."Aggies are pathetic".

I'm sorry Gary (BBDE) I have tried to put up with your personal shots...but you have crossed the line. Why don't you focus on playing football...and leave the Downlow to us armchair QB's.

You have no knowledge of anything about me...you think you do....but you don't. Stick to perfecting your game on the field....I have a lifetime of experience you can't come close to...stay within in your realm dude...
I'm not the person with friends that are too scared to state their name....

The fact that you openly challenge someone like Sinton66 is embarrassing, and frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't levied something more against you.

Stay within your game dude...

Move The Chains
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow......

Only on this board can a player from the Texas Aggies call me out and I'm an AGGIE fan...

I'm sorry Gary (BBDE) I have tried to put up with your personal shots...but you have crossed the line. Why don't you focus on playing football...and leave the Downlow to us armchair QB's.

You have no knowledge of anything about me...you think you do....but you don't. Stick to perfecting your game on the field....I have a lifetime of experience you can't come close to...stay within in your realm dude...

The fact that you openly challenge someone like Sinton66 is embarrassing, and frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't levied something more against you.

Stay within your game dude... Uh oh. Here we go again. Too bad BBDE isn't here to reply. :1popcorn:

Emerson1
10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow......

Wach out he might put you on ignore or delete you from facebook.

Daddy D 11
10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
X2

How you been man? It's been a while.

forum_guy
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow......

X2.....Why post during the season?

sinton66
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay folks, let's let it slide right on under the bridge and move on.

LE Dad
10-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Okay folks, let's let it slide right on under the bridge and move on. :thumbsup:

navscanmaster
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
How you been man? It's been a while.

Good. Good.