PDA

View Full Version : Appeal for Kinder, Gentler Board

Bullaholic
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Sometimes I think posts like this do more harm than good---but here goes anyhow.

I think there are a lot of members, including some old-timers of this board, who have become reluctant to post to threads because they don't like being called out, even insulted, or just generally villified because they posted their genuine honest opinion about a given game or team in a non-confrontational manner and, I think many good football discussion threads have suffered for it. This is not the way it is supposed to work. EVERYBODY has a right to voice their opinion--and everyone else has the right to agree or disagree with it, but within certain boundaries of good board etiquette. If someone has made a post in an obviously confrontational, insulting, or ridiculous manner, then they are fair game for reply in kind and should not be surprised at what they receive . However, the practice of just jumping in on a general post or inquiry, especially ones made by infrequent and lesser known board members, just because you can, serves to possibly leave a bad taste in an occasional or serious poster's mouth because they feel they can't get a word in edgewise without some type of angry reply or silly attempt at humor (I've done this a lot) resulting in thread piracy and demise .

I am old enough and been on the board long enough that I don't think there is anything that can be posted that can rattle my cage enough to make me mad or quit the board in disgust----but there are many others who may not have developed this hard "board bark" yet and are not able to detect when someone is not being serious and will maybe elect this course and just stop posting. You ask---"Why should I care?" and the answer is---because we need everybody in every town that has a team and an interest in Texas highschool football to let us know what they think or want to know about us and our teams. That spawns diversity and hence widespread interest and insures a vibrant, informative, and responsive board community that everyone can call home and enjoy.

O.k--thanks for reading my epistle, and I hope that you, along with me, will please try to be kinder, gentler, and more considerate on threads in the future and think before posting and realize that we are the "face" of the Downlow to the rest of hyperspace. Let's continue to have a ton of fun, but at the same time try not to compromise our football knowlege/discussion credibility or insult someone in every thread.

Ranger Mom
09-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Amen....this should have been on the main forum!!

(I hope it wasn't on the main forum and another mod moved it here......I will just feel silly then!!):p

hsfootballfan
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree! Civilized people should be able to agree to disagree without being disagreeable. It's a matter of respect and common courtesy.

Bullaholic
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Amen....this should have been on the main forum!!

(I hope it wasn't on the main forum and another mod moved it here......I will just feel silly then!!):p

Well, RM, as it was not actually sport-related, I thought it better go over here, but feel free to move it, if you wish, and I only hope it is accepted in the spirit in which it is offered.

poisoned10
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree to agree to disagree. I think. :thinking:

Seriously, I don't know how some people get so uptight about little things said on a message board.

Not everyone is going to have the same view or opinion as you are. Everybody fights for the right to have your own opinion but then gets all crazy when someone doesn't agree with you.

Share knowledge and have fun. That's what it's all supposed to be about anyways!

Txbroadcaster
09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
I agree to agree to disagree. I think. :thinking:

Seriously, I don't know how some people get so uptight about little things said on a message board.

Not everyone is going to have the same view or opinion as you are. Everybody fights for the right to have your own opinion but then gets all crazy when someone doesn't agree with you.

Share knowledge and have fun. That's what it's all supposed to be about anyways!

you can disagree without attcking or insulting the person you disagree with

poisoned10
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
you can disagree without attcking or insulting the person you disagree with

I agree!

waterboy
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree............but you do have to figure out which posters just like to stir the pot. Most of the time I don't think those particular posters believe what they say...:doh: There are all types of posters on here, and if you've been around awhile, you can pretty much figure out who is full of it and who isn't.;)

44INAROW
09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
((((((( GROUP HUG )))))))))) :)
meant in all sincerity :)

Phil C
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

:mad:

pirate4state
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
That would go against everything my avatar stands for! :mad:

Pick6
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
What Bullaholic means is what his hero once said, "Can't we all just get along?".

Bullaholic
09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
What Bullaholic means is what his hero once said, "Can't we all just get along?".

A pretty good genaralization Pick6---I would just like to to see game threads that debate teams, records, histories, and predictions with a little smack thrown in now and then instead of off-topic personal put-down contests and team hyperbole that goes on ad-nauseum.

SHSBulldog00
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with both Bull and Waterboy.

pirate4state
09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
A pretty good genaralization Pick6---I would just like to to see game threads that debate teams, records, histories, and predictions with a little smack thrown in now and then instead of off-topic personal put-down contests and team hyperbole that goes on ad-nauseum. You hear that ROCKET!?! SHUT UP ALREADY!

:D

Bullaholic
09-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You hear that ROCKET!?! SHUT UP ALREADY!

:D

Looking right at your avatar and ROFL, P4S. I hope I can be at a M&G somewhere, sometime where you are in close proximity to Rocket and watch the fun. :D

sinton66
09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
There certainly are a few on here that need to re-read rule #3.

3). Do not engage in personal attacks and/or threats.
This is NOT a smack site. We are not here to air personal vendettas. Bashing of students/athletes (grades 12 & under) will NOT be tolerated. Avoid using other members' real names in your posts(without their permission). Do not engage in name calling and the use of derogatory terms toward others. That attaches a personal flavor that most posters will find objectionable. Try reversing the roles and see how you would feel if someone said it to you or about your child. Personal attacks or threats, if reported, in PM's, open chat, or chat IM's may warrant warning, suspension or banning, subject to Administrator discretion. At 3A Downlow, we also tend to frown upon posts that attack the integrity of school systems and coaches. Use intelligence & wit. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Sometimes I think posts like this do more harm than good---but here goes anyhow.

I think there are a lot of members, including some old-timers of this board, who have become reluctant to post to threads because they don't like being called out, even insulted, or just generally villified because they posted their genuine honest opinion about a given game or team in a non-confrontational manner and, I think many good football discussion threads have suffered for it. This is not the way it is supposed to work. EVERYBODY has a right to voice their opinion--and everyone else has the right to agree or disagree with it, but within certain boundaries of good board etiquette. If someone has made a post in an obviously confrontational, insulting, or ridiculous manner, then they are fair game for reply in kind and should not be surprised at what they receive . However, the practice of just jumping in on a general post or inquiry, especially ones made by infrequent and lesser known board members, just because you can, serves to possibly leave a bad taste in an occasional or serious poster's mouth because they feel they can't get a word in edgewise without some type of angry reply or silly attempt at humor (I've done this a lot) resulting in thread piracy and demise .

I am old enough and been on the board long enough that I don't think there is anything that can be posted that can rattle my cage enough to make me mad or quit the board in disgust----but there are many others who may not have developed this hard "board bark" yet and are not able to detect when someone is not being serious and will maybe elect this course and just stop posting. You ask---"Why should I care?" and the answer is---because we need everybody in every town that has a team and an interest in Texas highschool football to let us know what they think or want to know about us and our teams. That spawns diversity and hence widespread interest and insures a vibrant, informative, and responsive board community that everyone can call home and enjoy.

O.k--thanks for reading my epistle, and I hope that you, along with me, will please try to be kinder, gentler, and more considerate on threads in the future and think before posting and realize that we are the "face" of the Downlow to the rest of hyperspace. Let's continue to have a ton of fun, but at the same time try not to compromise our football knowlege/discussion credibility or insult someone in every thread. I posted my opinion about Navasota and got chastized for it.

IF I were to post my thoughts about LH, God forbid, then that goes out the window too because I "obviosuly haven't seen LH play" therefore I know nothing about them. :)

sinton66
09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
I posted my opinion about Navasota and got chastized for it.

IF I were to post my thoughts about LH, God forbid, then that goes out the window too because I "obviosuly haven't seen LH play" therefore I know nothing about them. :)

Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims.

It's okay to have an opinion, but you really need to back it up with substantial information because if you don't, chances are you're gonna get torn up. Very difficult to "chastize" someone who can prove their claims.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It's okay to have an opinion, but you really need to back it up with substantial information because if you don't, chances are you're gonna get torn up. Very difficult to "chastize" someone who can prove their claims. How exactly am I supposed to PROVE an opinion?

:confused:

My opinion is that Navasota isn't as good as they were in 2008. How am I supposed to defend that? It's just an observation. I saw them both years and just formed an opinion that I think the 08 Navasota is a much tougher team to beat than 09 Navasota. Kinda hard to factually back that up. Just saying. They've beaten everyone they've played, etc..... It's just an opinion. If I have to back up everything I think with factual evidence.... then it would be fact... not an opinion.

My opinion is that LH is "down."

They've gotten blown out twice. FACT. But, still I haven't seen them play so what do I know? :rolleyes:

sinton66
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
How exactly am I supposed to PROVE an opinion?

:confused:

My opinion is that Navasota isn't as good as they were in 2008. How am I supposed to defend that? It's just an observation. I saw them both years and just formed an opinion that I think the 08 Navasota is a much tougher team to beat than 09 Navasota. Kinda hard to factually back that up. Just saying. They've beaten everyone they've played, etc..... It's just an opinion. If I have to back up everything I think with factual evidence.... then it would be fact... not an opinion.

They've gotten blown out twice. FACT. But, still I haven't seen them play so what do I know? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing Navasota plays the same teams they played last year. Maybe back it up with score differences? Even then, it's "iffy" because teams can change substantially year to year. All the rule really means is put some thought and research into things before you post an "opinion". If you FORM an opinion, it has to be based on something besides a "feeling" because if you're wrong, the people from that town who have watched this team for years are gonna let you have it.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm guessing Navasota plays the same teams they played last year. Maybe back it up with score differences? Even then, it's "iffy" because teams can change substantially year to year. All the rule really means is put some thought and research into things before you post an "opinion". If you FORM an opinion, it has to be based on something besides a "feeling" because if you're wrong, the people from that town who have watched this team for years are gonna let you have it. Well, I mean there was quite a bit of substance behind my post.... it's just if a guy calls your team overrated, then you are not going to like. Nature of the beast.

So, I post my honest opinion and get tore up for it. Oh well.

sinton66
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM
IMO, it's too early to even talk about rankings and over/under rated. Rankings and ratings are just opinions by someone or a group of someones. I've seen teams go 0-fer in non-district, then go 3 rounds deep in the playoffs because they "gelled" late. I've also seen teams trounce the heck out of everyone and go undefeated for the regular season and get bounced in the first round. I have rarely put any stock in how a team is rated. It really doesn't mean much.

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
IMO, it's too early to even talk about rankings and over/under rated. Rankings and ratings are just opinions by someone or a group of someones. I've seen teams go 0-fer in non-district, then go 3 rounds deep in the playoffs because they "gelled" late. I've also seen teams trounce the heck out of everyone and go undefeated for the regular season and get bounced in the first round. I have rarely put any stock in how a team is rated. It really doesn't mean much. No, but it's fun to talk about. :)

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Giddings and Brownwood just might be better than last year. :thinking: :hand:

Pick6
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Did you ever stop to think

Has he ever :D

poisoned10
09-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Did you ever stop to think

Why do you have to "STOP" to think? Why can't you just think as you do what you were doing?

SWMustang
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Why do you have to "STOP" to think? Why can't you just think as you do what you were doing?

thinking on the fly? get outta here with that nonsense. :D (Got my personal attack completed for the day)

Move The Chains
09-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe Giddings and Brownwood just might be better than last year. :thinking: :hand: Yeah, I stopped and thought about it, but I'd say that with nearly half their team gone and still getting a blowout victory..... = LH being down.

but then again, I haven't seen them. I obviously have no idea. :)