PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Raiderland? (Texas Tech)

Bullaholic
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not posting this because I am a Tech-hater, but rather to ask the Tech faithful if the following story is just the result of a heartbreaking 2nd loss in a row, or is there long- term trouble brewing in Lubbock which may get worse?

http://www.redraiders.com/2009/09/27/techs-carter-announces-suspension-via-twitter/

MamaBull
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
whats the difference between tech and cheerios?
cheerios belong in a bowl!!!

Bullaholic
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by MamaBull
whats the difference between tech and cheerios?
cheerios belong in a bowl!!!

Oh, MamaBull---you went and tossed the yellowjacket nest into the dancehall---:D

Old Tiger
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Its the refs fault

injuredinmelee
09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I will post before reading the article but here is my take on the whole thing.

Defensive coordinators are becoming wise to how you slow down the Tech offense. You will never stop the system, never but you can effectively slow it down. More schools now have the athletes in place to slow the system. It cant be done without great players. I say this with the deepest amount of respect but it isntt hard to out athlete the recievers on techs roster. They put up big gawdy numbers but honestly how many of them would be starters in other programs and out of Techs gimmicky offense? I can think of 3 maybe in the last 7 or 8 years. And at least one fo those was a kid no one else wanted because he wasnt big enough but yet he has managed to have a very productive NFL career to this point (and the only one that can say that he has been productive in the NFL).
I referred to the Tech offense as a gimmick in the last paragraph. I know this statement went over like a fart in church but look at it without your red and black tinted glasses. All gimmicks are fun, entertaining, and even some are successful initially. Sooner or later everyone else figures out your little trick. Imagine your in Central Park in NYC. There is a guy with the 3 cups and one little ball. You have to guess which ball. It seems impossible to figure out hi game initially. You stand back and watch and watch and watch some more sooner or later you figure out how he is doing it and then you formulate your plan to counteract his trickery. This is what the Big 12 coaches are doing now. This is what Sutherlin at Houston did this week. Slow them down enough to be able to outscore them and have the athletes to do that. Are Houston's kids better athletes than Techs? I dont know. Did they outplay Tech? Yes i think they did. I would guess that they are two teams with very smiliar skill sets.
I am biased so I wont comment too much on Case Keenums victory march saturday night but the kid is a winner. Has a great family, great football background and from one fo the best high school systems in the state. Is this what made the difference in the game? Doubtful but just maybe.

Rocket
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I referred to the Tech offense as a gimmick in the last paragraph. I know this statement went over like a fart in church but look at it without your red and black tinted glasses. All gimmicks are fun, entertaining, and even some are successful initially. Sooner or later everyone else figures out your little trick.

Liberty Hill..

BobcatBenny
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Well ... it is too bad for us fans of Tech.

I think Leach knew the second loss was not that big of a deal. At least in the grand scheme of the season. Which it wasn't.

You get a yard and win or don't and have to try to scrape out a win by holding on. They didn't get the 1 yard and couldn't hold on.

They already had one loss in conference. So a non-conference loss meant little. But the learning and growing potential was huge for this incarnation of Tech. And it looks like the lesson was lost on some of the players.

Tighten up the jock straps and be men! Your coach is in charge and there is little sympathy to be given to disgruntled players.

Dang ... and I was feeling good about this team! :(

BreckTxLonghorn
09-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know the exact reason Carter got suspended yet?

Also, I don't understand why some (not all) Tech fans are throwing away the season after the second loss? They lost to two very good teams, both on the road. One was a pretty good game against the #2 team in the country that was, at the time, the highest attendance to watch a football game in state history. The other was against a top 15 team in their biggest home game in 25 years. And even then, it took them sixty minutes to do it. Considering you're breaking in a new QB, I don't think that's too shabby. There's still a chance at making a high bowl like Cotton or Holiday and beating an upper tier SEC or Pac10 school.

And, for the record, I loved the call to go for it at the 1 by Leach. Forced them to have to go 99 yards to score, and they didn't, Keenum threw an INT.

garciap77
09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Its the refs fault

Did Brownwood Lose?:D

;)

Gobbla2001
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I gotta give Leach credit, he's realized that offense isn't going to win him every game and has done a decent job recruiting defensive players and getting a coach who knows how to coach 'em... also I think he's done a great job throwing that running game in... but I cracked up when he faked the knee against UT... I actually called it... He was acting nervous on the sideline before the play went in, then Tech lined up in the knee formation and I yelled "They aren't going to take a knee!"... I was actually not aware that you couldn't fake the knee in college football... Tech fans at that buffalo wildwings were upset... I told one "yah, refs got it wrong but that's what you get for relying on gimmicks to get the job done"...

LE Dad
09-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Did Brownwood Lose?:D

;) :doh: :doh:

:1popcorn:

LE Dad
09-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I gotta give Leach credit, he's realized that offense isn't going to win him every game and has done a decent job recruiting defensive players and getting a coach who knows how to coach 'em... also I think he's done a great job throwing that running game in... but I cracked up when he faked the knee against UT... I actually called it... He was acting nervous on the sideline before the play went in, then Tech lined up in the knee formation and I yelled "They aren't going to take a knee!"... I was actually not aware that you couldn't fake the knee in college football... Tech fans at that buffalo wildwings were upset... I told one "yah, refs got it wrong but that's what you get for relying on gimmicks to get the job done"... I don't think Tech will ever be anymore than what they have been. It is sooooo hard to out recruit Texas and the other top programs that annually pick the states top recruits. Leach has brought TT up to where they, at least, are discussed nationally, for that I appaud him:clap: :clap: I think it is great to have so many strong schools here in state.

injuredinmelee
09-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Keenum threw an INT.
to another Abilene product... Will Ford of Abilene Cooper.

TexMike
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I was actually not aware that you couldn't fake the knee in college football... Tech fans at that buffalo wildwings were upset... I told one "yah, refs got it wrong but that's what you get for relying on gimmicks to get the job done"...

And I suppose you have gone back to BWW and made it known to one and all that you were wrong about the refs??? ;-)

Interestingly Leach demonstrated his apparent lack of knowledge of the rules once again in the Houston game. Houston kicked off once from the 50 thanks to a Tech foul on the touchdown play and the ball went out of bounds. It appeared Leach wanted the ball at the 40 (which is where you would normally get it if a team kicks off from the normal spot on their own 30). He seemed confused as they explained he could take the ball at the 25 which was the 30 yards from where ball was kicked.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I don't think Tech will ever be anymore than what they have been. It is sooooo hard to out recruit Texas and the other top programs that annually pick the states top recruits. Leach has brought TT up to where they, at least, are discussed nationally, for that I appaud him:clap: :clap: I think it is great to have so many strong schools here in state.

A&M has done a good job recruiting the past few years.

Heffelfinger
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Walk the plank ye scurvy mutineers! Aaarrgh!

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Also, I don't understand why some (not all) Tech fans are throwing away the season after the second loss?
Because they're idiots. :D

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Liberty Hill..
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

skins4life
09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Kick the FG instead of going for the yard and the TD and they win the game. Sometimes 3 points are enough.

Eagle 1
09-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I will post before reading the article but here is my take on the whole thing.

Defensive coordinators are becoming wise to how you slow down the Tech offense. You will never stop the system, never but you can effectively slow it down. More schools now have the athletes in place to slow the system. It cant be done without great players. I say this with the deepest amount of respect but it isntt hard to out athlete the recievers on techs roster. They put up big gawdy numbers but honestly how many of them would be starters in other programs and out of Techs gimmicky offense? I can think of 3 maybe in the last 7 or 8 years. And at least one fo those was a kid no one else wanted because he wasnt big enough but yet he has managed to have a very productive NFL career to this point (and the only one that can say that he has been productive in the NFL).
I referred to the Tech offense as a gimmick in the last paragraph. I know this statement went over like a fart in church but look at it without your red and black tinted glasses. All gimmicks are fun, entertaining, and even some are successful initially. Sooner or later everyone else figures out your little trick. Imagine your in Central Park in NYC. There is a guy with the 3 cups and one little ball. You have to guess which ball. It seems impossible to figure out hi game initially. You stand back and watch and watch and watch some more sooner or later you figure out how he is doing it and then you formulate your plan to counteract his trickery. This is what the Big 12 coaches are doing now. This is what Sutherlin at Houston did this week. Slow them down enough to be able to outscore them and have the athletes to do that. Are Houston's kids better athletes than Techs? I dont know. Did they outplay Tech? Yes i think they did. I would guess that they are two teams with very smiliar skill sets.
I am biased so I wont comment too much on Case Keenums victory march saturday night but the kid is a winner. Has a great family, great football background and from one fo the best high school systems in the state. Is this what made the difference in the game? Doubtful but just maybe.

Your reasoning is beyond me, unless your just still sour over last years loss.
Isn't the defensive coordinators job to stop or slow down anybody's offense?
Gimmick offense? Passing the ball more than you run is a "gimmick" offense?
Tech's qb Potts is not as good as Harrell was and never will be.
Did it ever occur to you that Houston may have a good team this year? Probably not, nobody is as good as ut in your eyes, even when they lose.
We have lost two games by a total of 11 points, so all is not lost.
But, I bet we win more games than lose this year and still make a bowl bid.

As for Tech's lineman suspension for a violation of team policy , thats kind of old news on here.
At least Leach sticks to his guns and don't bail out his players the night before a game.:clap:

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Liberty Hill.. Any gimmick that can win 2 state championships.... I'll be glad to take.

When they figure it out.... I'll just move on to the next gimmick. :)

Txbroadcaster
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Your reasoning is beyond me, unless your just still sour over last years loss.
Isn't the defensive coordinators job to stop or slow down anybody's offense?
Gimmick offense? Passing the ball more than you run is a "gimmick" offense?
Tech's qb Potts is not as good as Harrell was and never will be.
Did it ever occur to you that Houston may have a good team this year? Probably not, nobody is as good as ut in your eyes, even when they lose.
We have lost two games by a total of 11 points, so all is not lost.
But, I bet we win more games than lose this year and still make a bowl bid.

As for Tech's lineman suspension for a violation of team policy , thats kind of old news on here.
At least Leach sticks to his guns and don't bail out his players the night before a game.:clap:

Are you just not able to post in a college thread without finding a way to run down UT? He gave his opinion without running down TTech and made some solid points( I dont agree with all of them)

lakers
09-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I know the exact reason why Carter was suspended and I can assure you that it was not for using twitter. It is something much more scary then that...:eek:

Eagle 1
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Are you just not able to post in a college thread without finding a way to run down UT? He gave his opinion without running down TTech and made some solid points( I dont agree with all of them)
Exactly where did I run down ut?
I gave my opinion too, unless thats what you call running down ut.:rolleyes:

BTW, when did innovation become "gimmicky"?

Gobbla2001
09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
And I suppose you have gone back to BWW and made it known to one and all that you were wrong about the refs??? ;-)

ha I try to give you guys the benefit of the doubt... I will go back this weekend, stand up on the bar and yell as loud as I can how right the refs were...

Gobbla2001
09-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

You know, I'm not trying to hate on Tech here, but that guy disturbs me... this is a football game, not a damn WWE wraslin' match, or halloween or whatever... like a woman puttin' on makeup before goin' out or something...