PDA

View Full Version : Baylor QB Robert Griffin Out for Season

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
That sucks. He's an awesome player. Torn ACL.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Here is the article:

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/baylors-griffin-is-out-for-the-year.html

Wish the guy a full and speedy recovery.

trojan37
09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
He's not the only one that got hurt. This is from the Wacotrib:

By John Werner | Sunday, September 27, 2009, 05:28 PM

Baylor sophomore quarterback Robert Griffin is out for the season after sustaining a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

The injury occurred at the end of the first drive in the first quarter in Baylor’s 68-13 win over Northwestern State Saturday night at Floyd Casey Stadium.

Griffin played the rest of the first half, hitting 13 of 19 passes for 226 yards and three touchdowns. However, an MRI taken Sunday revealed the isolated ACL tear.

Baylor defensive back and kick returner Mikail Baker is also out for the season after tearing his ACL in the first quarter against Northwestern State.

Baylor backup quarterback Blake Szymanski took a hard shot to his shoulder in the third quarter. An MRI on him Sunday showed a contusion to his right shoulder, and he is listed as day to day.

PhiI C
09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
That is bad news. You hate to hear about injuries to anyone even though that is part of football and other sports. Still you never get used to it. Hope he recovers. :(

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Some programs have all the luck and some are cursed. Seems like Baylor is among the latter. They finally start building something promising, and now this.

injuredinmelee
09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
that sucks. Great athlete and fun to watch.

Z-RO
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
A&M might not finish 6th in the Big 12 South now :clap:

In all seriousness that really sucks for him and Baylor.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2009, 07:05 PM
We're doomed:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
A&M might not finish 6th in the Big 12 South now :clap:

In all seriousness that really sucks for him and Baylor.

Yeah, because we have a good chance of finishing in the top three.

D4C
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
man this sux. i was at the game yesterday and he landed kinda akward but he played up until the middle of the 3rd quarter. hope he recovery well because they are a good team but are just not gettin anything goin their way

mwynn05
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
griffin needs to quit football....his future is in track....well it WAS no telling now

coach
09-27-2009, 07:27 PM
this will be baylors excuse for not making a bowl this year

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
It WILL be the reason they don't. Losing the best rushing QB in the nation will do that to you.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Would Texas have won the National Championship without Vince Young?

Daddy D 11
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Would Texas have won the National Championship without Vince Young?

That's what I compared it to today when I was telling somebody the news.

Man this stinks. All the excitement of the season is drained now.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2009, 07:37 PM

:thinking::confused:

It will be the reason. No excuses about it.

Z-RO
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Care to place a friendly wager? When was the last time aTm finished in the top 3 of the B12 South?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Care to place a friendly wager? When was the last time aTm finished in the top 3 of the B12 South?

As per NCAA rules, I can't gamble. I am willing to get in front of the Downlow and admit that I am wrong. That probably has happened rare.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
As per NCAA rules, I can't gamble. I am willing to get in front of the Downlow and admit that I am wrong. That probably has happened rarely.

Emerson1
They have never had Jerrod Johnson before. He is going to be better then VY and go down in college football history as one of the greats of all time.

headhunter
09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Not sure if Baylor can get those six wins to get a bowl game this season. THe loss to UCONN hurt because they have a tough Big XII schedule. Maybe they can beat Iowa State and Sneek up on Nebraska but A&M looks like they may be better this year and I just don't know if Baylor can win 6 games. Especially w/o Griffin, I don't see it happening and I always am pulling for the bears.

Z-RO
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They have never had Jerrod Johnson before. He is going to be better then VY and go down in college football history as one of the greats of all time.

LOL "ok":rolleyes: :clap: :crazy:

Daddy D 11
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Do you know who BBDE is?:thinking:

Snydertigersrul
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
That sucks. He's an awesome player. Torn ACL.

Oh, that means the season is over for Baylor

BobcatBenny
09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I do not care where A&M finishes as long as the Aggies leave Lubbock wearing that lovely L! :D

coach
09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
they would not have made a bowl game even if he was healthy

GetRDoneStangs
09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I do not care where A&M finishes as long as the Aggies leave Lubbock wearing that lovely L! :D

That may or may not happen.... maybe u can stop in Sweetwater on ur way thru...maybe Ms. Allens?????

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
they would not have made a bowl game even if he was healthy
How do you figure that?

at Wake Forest - W
vs. Connecticut - L
vs. Northwestern State - W
2-1, need just 4 more
vs. Kent State - W
at Oklahoma - L
at Iowa State - W
vs. Oklahoma State - L
vs. Nebraska - L
at Missouri - W
vs. Texas - L
at Texas A&M - W maybe
vs. Texas Tech - W maybe
would likely get 1 of 2 at the end putting them at 6 wins.

raider red 2000
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How do you figure that?

at Wake Forest - W
vs. Connecticut - L
vs. Northwestern State - W
2-1, need just 4 more
vs. Kent State - W
at Oklahoma - L
at Iowa State - W
vs. Oklahoma State - L
vs. Nebraska - L
at Missouri - W
vs. Texas - L
at Texas A&M - W maybe
vs. Texas Tech - W maybe
would likely get 1 of 2 at the end putting them at 6 wins.

Mizzou is paying pretty good.

Scrambler
09-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by D4C
man this sux. i was at the game yesterday and he landed kinda akward but he played up until the middle of the 3rd quarter. hope he recovery well because they are a good team but are just not gettin anything goin their way

I was there also, and thought he played pretty well on just one good leg! Heck, he even ran plays up the middle for first downs.

Old Tiger
09-28-2009, 01:56 AM
As per NCAA rules, I can't gamble. I am willing to get in front of the Downlow and admit that I am wrong. That probably has happened rare. I got screwed that time we bet a soda water on a game not to be discussed at the point and time. Now you owe me one back! lol jk

charlesrixey
09-28-2009, 07:18 AM

that's not an excuse to me, that's a reason.

Robert Griffin is the most important player to his team in the big 12

jason
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
dang, that sucks....

SHSBulldog00
09-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I can't believe it!!!!!! Best of Luck to Robert and the Baylor Bears. I hope my friend Mike (Baylor alum) will come out of his home soon.

sahen
09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
well...this really sucks...however, i think the Bears will still be able to score, the injury will show that there was more to the offense than Griffin, unfortunately the injury that may cost us the most games is not Griffin himself but the injury to Baker....we were already playing some converted wide receivers (out of necessity) in our secondary, now we just lost another one of our true defensive backs....the secondary is wayyy thin......i think we can still score (not as much obviously) but the chances of us scoring enough to make up for our ridicously thin secondary are really low....for now i'd guess we can beat kent state (hopefully) and then maybe win a big 12 game, i'd be shocked if we finish better than 4-8....

the injury to griffin was basically the knockout punch after the nasty hook to stun us that was losing our defensive back...sadly, we lost both to a team we couldve beat the crap out of w/o playing them at all....

formercougar18
09-29-2009, 12:55 AM
losing RG3 and baker were both big hits on our chances to make a bowl game. But i go to baylor, and i heard through the grapevine that jeremy sanders, idk if any of you know who he is but he was the qb at marlin a couple of years ago and he single handedly beat us, china spring, in the playoffs two years in a row. He's just like robert griffin, except probably more explosive, and bigger. He was in the quarterback battle last year, Griffins freshman year, but Griffin edged him out. If Briles want's to keep the same offense that would be a good fit. Or maybe even put kendall Wright who played quarterback at pittsburgh a few years ago in charge. There's also the freshman qb from wylie who they converted to Tight end. I heard they were practicing him at quarterback to. And with Baker out Mike Hicks the standout player from China spring will get some playing time at safety, as a freshman and he looked really good in the second half against Northwestern state. yea i kno it's northwestern state so idk how valid that is if it is at all. But i'm not counting us out just yet.

sahen
09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
they r going to try to rehab Griffin to see if they can stabilize the knee and get him back later in the year....if they cant get him back then they will use this year as a medical redshirt so we will still have him for 3 more years after this year...

Sanders was a good JUCO QB as well, but I doubt they use him as a QB...if he was more explosive and bigger then Griffin then he wouldve beat him out, as it stands right now he didnt just lose out to Griffin but also Syzmanski and the kid that transfered from Miami last year....Sanders played runningback for us and this year he was so far down on that depth chart he moved to defense I believe...he may come in and run a sort of wildcat type play at QB but I doubt he will be the full time starter...I expect either Syzmanski (if healthy) to start this week or Florence (if Syzmanski is still hurt)....after Syzmanski is healthy he will be full time starter unless if he keeps throwing picks like he did his freshman/sophomore year....

Daddy D 11
09-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by formercougar18
But i go to baylor,

You go to Baylor?
Where you living?

Cadetdad
09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I have been hearing alot of talk about Sanders and why he doesnt get the chance, well obviously if they thought he could do it he would be second or third string even. The few times he even ran the ball he didnt look good doing it, juco is so much different than big 12. Sanders is a good average player but RG was head and shoulders above what he could do. I do believe Blake is the best choice and being a veteran qb gives teh Bears the best chance to retain their goal. Its the O-line that needs to keep the pressure off him and that would help, giving up to many hurried throws. The D Line also needs to step up, teams have been running all over them. uconn made them look like a jv team running.

Gators17
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
losing RG3 and baker were both big hits on our chances to make a bowl game. But i go to baylor, and i heard through the grapevine that jeremy sanders, idk if any of you know who he is but he was the qb at marlin a couple of years ago and he single handedly beat us, china spring, in the playoffs two years in a row. He's just like robert griffin, except probably more explosive, and bigger. He was in the quarterback battle last year, Griffins freshman year, but Griffin edged him out. If Briles want's to keep the same offense that would be a good fit. Or maybe even put kendall Wright who played quarterback at pittsburgh a few years ago in charge. There's also the freshman qb from wylie who they converted to Tight end. I heard they were practicing him at quarterback to. And with Baker out Mike Hicks the standout player from China spring will get some playing time at safety, as a freshman and he looked really good in the second half against Northwestern state. yea i kno it's northwestern state so idk how valid that is if it is at all. But i'm not counting us out just yet.

Jeremy Sanders is an incredibly athlete. When Marlin beat Bellville at Kyle Field back in 05', i believe, he was crazy good. I always wondered whatever happened to him after high school but it seems like he didn't span out too well in college.

As for Baylor's chances of making a bowl, they won't make it, IMO. They will probably beat Kent State and possibly Iowa State. They would beat Iowa State hands down if the game were in Waco but on the road I don't see the Bears getting it done. After those two games I don't see Baylor winning any other ones. I'm calling for a 3-9 season, 4-8 at best but that's just MHO.

formercougar18
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
haha i live in penland! And i dont know i have a friend whose a trainer and he said that they were trying kendall wright at the wildcat, and J mo was taking reps, and he was going to ask Briles if he could get a chance. I know that Florence kid has been taking snaps but Monk from Wylie whose a freshman has also been taking some. Syzmanski won't see the field if baylor has any intentions on salvaging the season he is awful, like aaron karas awful. I'm interested to see who replaces Griffin and if his replacement end's up doing really well what will happen next year.

Daddy D 11
09-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Cool, I live on 11th Street. I eat in Penland quite a bit.

formercougar18
09-30-2009, 12:45 AM
that's crazy, after this year we have a house on 11th

sahen
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
haha i live in penland! And i dont know i have a friend whose a trainer and he said that they were trying kendall wright at the wildcat, and J mo was taking reps, and he was going to ask Briles if he could get a chance. I know that Florence kid has been taking snaps but Monk from Wylie whose a freshman has also been taking some. Syzmanski won't see the field if baylor has any intentions on salvaging the season he is awful, like aaron karas awful. I'm interested to see who replaces Griffin and if his replacement end's up doing really well what will happen next year.

syzmanski was bad his freshman and sophomore years but the offense only threw the ball, he had a pretty sorry oline, and some horrible play calling...he may not be robert griffin good but in Briles offense you dont have to be great, just servicable and the rest of the offense does the work...im more worried about the defense now that we lost yet another defensive back....

Daddy D 11
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
that's crazy, after this year we have a house on 11th

Where on 11th?

PM me sometime if you wanna come over, I'm having some people over tonight.

Z-RO
10-20-2009, 12:57 AM

I just wanted to get an update and see how that is working out for you guys? :thinking:

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
I just wanted to get an update and see how that is working out for you guys? :thinking: you=douche :rolleyes:

Z-RO
10-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
you=douche :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with asking for an update? Somebody got butt hurt real quick. It was a ludacris statement when it was first made and I just wanted to see if he still thought it was possible. I sware some of yalls feelings get waaaaay to hurt over a simple message board. :crazy:

Z-RO
10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh and I am going to go to bed and cry myself to sleep because you called me a douche:weeping:....yeah right :D

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Whats wrong with asking for an update? Somebody got butt hurt real quick. It was a ludacris statement when it was first made and I just wanted to see if he still thought it was possible. I sware some of yalls feelings get waaaaay to hurt over a simple message board. :crazy: Not getting my feelings hurt.

You just went out of your way to be a douche. Congrats. :clap:

Z-RO
10-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Oh and he has never done it before to anybody...ever :rolleyes: I didnt go out of my way, I just made sure to take a note of this seeing as how I hate the Aggies.