PDA

View Full Version : Region 4, Week 5 Top-20

R4Editor
09-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Going with a top-20 for the rest of the year, all input is welcomed.

1. Giddings (4-0)...no change, still looking very tough
2. Cuero (5-0)....Could be playing the best right now...#1???
3. La Grange (5-0)....looking very dominate on O and D
4. Sealy (5-0)...blowing teams out in 2nd half
5. Bellville (3-1)....may be over rated? OT at home vs Royal?
6. Ingleside (4-0)....looking very tough
7. Needville (4-1)....steady
8. Bandera (4-1)..stock rising in what looks to be a tough district
9. La Vernia (3-2)..one dimensional, no passing game, overrated?
10. Sinton (4-0)...squeaks by OG....???
11. Devine (4-1)...another team on the rise
12. Lyford (4-0)...D32 needs some love
13. Stafford (5-0)...who are these guys?
14. Pearsall (4-0)....big game this week
15. Hondo (3-1)....just killing teams, only L to good 4A
16. Columbus (4-1)...have doubts about this team
17. Yoakum (2-2)...watch out for these guys
18. Raymondville (3-1)...may be the best down south
19. Sweeny (2-2)...talent here....but???
20. Edna (3-0)...@Refugio this fri, win, move up, lose, bye bye

Footballhudini
09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by R4Editor

20. Edna (3-0)...@Refugio this fri, win, move up, lose, bye bye

refugio could probably beat more than half the teams on this list

R4Editor
09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

Most of the time reading your posts is a waste of time, but in this case your correct. And I think what you say crosses all divisions.

Refugio is the best 2A in R4 and I think they could hang with all but about 5 3A teams.

Which 4As in R4 would want to play Giddings or Cuero? Outside of Lake Travis, I think they could go toe to toe with just about everyone else.

Shiner looks to be playing very well. Outside of the top 2A teams like Rice and Refugio, they could probably beat or be competitive with all the rest.

Edna has a huge challenge this week and they are at least a 2TD underdog. We think Edna is better than people give them credit for, but they need to prove that over the next 3 weeks.

Footballhudini
09-27-2009, 11:12 AM
i guess what i was insinuating was that if edna were to lose (and they prbly will barring any ice age) they shouldn't leave the list. they are at the very least 20 regardless, and an unbiased poll wouldn't drop them because of a loss to a superior opponent. it should be around 42-14 refugio.

on another note, there is a fine line (with the spread being about 20 points) between numbers 4 and 7. I'd take sealy over bandera by at least 3 TDs atm.

R4Editor
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Ok, I got you.
I think Edna has to at least put up a good fight, though. I've seen them play and they have weapons and a very good o-line. The word is they have kept everything very vanilla thru their first 3 games. I look for them to open it up and give the Bobcats a game.
A 20 point loss and they should be out, IMO.

Cole Hubble is the real deal and I think Bandera is very good, but you may be right as Sealy can score a lot in a hurry.

Any ball game between the top 4 teams would be very interesting...and from what I'm hearing Ingleside may get into that group...I know, hard to believe, but the Mustangs have looked very good so far.

bandera7
09-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Bandera has far more than just Cole Hubble, and it seems people cannot talk about our football team and mention anybody else. There are some great playmakers on the defensive side of the ball...if you look, we held LV to 17 points. I know you cant just compare games, but Giddings didnt hold them to that few. That is not a suggestion that we are better than Giddings or anything of that sort, but if you look at the scores of our games typically our defense plays very well, and it is not just ONE player. Our defense has 11, and they are appearing to be the story of the year out of bandera.

Mean Green Fan
09-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Cuero and Giddings could be a tie right now,but Cuero is at least a solid 2.
I agree La Grange should be 3. they are playing well now.
Also I would have Edna above Sweeny.
And yes Refugio could beat alot of these teams.

Gators17
09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Great poll! :clap: :clap:

If it were me I'd give Cuero the SLIGHT edge over Giddings but other than that, no complaints! :clap:

Gobbla2001
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm thinking it's possible that Edna gets the best of Yoakum in district... but I could be wrong we'll have to see....

and Stafford? FIVE AND OH? what the deuce...

Gobbla2001
09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
And also, just in my opinion, I'm gunna say LV over Bandera still... I know they have two losses to Bandera's one, but still, they are Bandera's loss and their two losses were to 1 and 2 in this poll...

Cowboy_Up
09-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Of course I'm biased, but I think the Edna Cowboys are a lot better then people give them credit for.

Kam Jones at QB, DB, P, KR is being recruited by some pretty big name schools. He is a difference maker.

Nick Morrow at MLB was a unanimous all-district pick last year as a sophomore and is being recruited by a number of D1 schools. He's really gotten better and now is playing without a cast on his arm. Watch for #34 and you'll see what I mean.

We have a young o-line, but they are big, well coached, and so far have been dominant.

This week going into Refugio is a big test as even though they are 2A, they are very good, ranked #5 in the state.

We'll probably drop to 2A in the next realignment, and the fact that we start 15 underclassmen and only have one player going both ways means we might be in the hunt for the next couple of years.

Nursebetty
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
I wouldnt doubt that statement!:D

Move The Chains
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
and Stafford? FIVE AND OH? what the deuce... They've played noone. A bunch of weak inner city Houston schools and a 2a or two. They've got some talent and this is probably their best year in a while, but no way they win district. I doubt they even make the playoffs. But, hey, crazier things have happened.

I think Columbia, despite 1-3 record, belongs here. They've probably played the toughest schedule out of anyone in 3a Reg 4 and they've hung tough in every game except El Campo. It all just came crashing down on them. You have to remember though, Columbia was without MULTIPLE starters that game.

They rested their starting RB's ankle that game as well as the bye this week so he'll be ready to go.

I think Columbia will prove they belong, we;ll just have to wait though.

And I realize that me making excuses for them doesn't help.... but man... yo get no love unless you're undefeated playing weak opponents.