PDA

View Full Version : Ex Wylie QB Case Keenum scores winning TD!

garciap77
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Image_6.jpg
THOMAS METTHE/REPORTER-NEWS
Houston quarterback Case Keenum (top) celebrates with teammates after scoring the winning touchdown in the Cougars’ 29-28 win over Texas Tech on Saturday at Robertson Stadium in Houston.

No. 17 Houston 29, Texas Tech 28
STATING THEIR CASE
■ Cougars validate ranking with narrow win over Red Raiders

KRISTIE RIEKEN
Associated Press
HOUSTON — Case Keenum ran 4 yards with a quarterback keeper for a touchdown with 49 seconds left to give No. 17 Houston a 29-28 come_back win over Texas Tech on Satur_day night.
The Cougars trailed 21-10 in the fi rst half, but held Tech’s high-pow_ered offense to one second half score. Houston was playing as a ranked team for the first time in 18 years after knocking off then No. 5 Oklahoma State two weeks ago. A record crowd of 32,114, including Phi Slama Jama stars Hakeem Olajuwon Clyde Drex_ler showed up to cheer them on.
Less than a month into the season, the Cougars (3- 0) from Conference USA have a couple of impressive wins against Big 12 teams to bolster their chances of breaking into the BCS.
Keenum kept the gamewinning, 95- yard drive going with a 7-yard pass to Patrick Edwards on fourthand- 3.
The Red Raiders (2-2) led 28-23 midway through the fourth quarter before Will Ford's interception stopped a Cougar drive. But Tech couldn't convert and had to punt back to Houston with about six minutes remaining.
Tech had a last chance for the win but Taylor Potts' desperation throw on the last play of the game was broken up by the Cougars, sending thousands of Houston fans onto the field.
Keenum was 38 of 58 for 435 yards and had a touchdown pass and an interception in the first meeting between these two teams since 1995 when both were in the Southwest Conference.
It was the shootout most expected with the two teams combining for 1,063 yards of offense.
But the pass-happy Red Raiders relied more heavily than normal on their running game. Tech had gained 86 yards rushing in its fi rst three games but had 163 Saturday.
Of course the Red Raiders still passed plenty, with Potts finishing with 321 yards and Tech's only second half score.
A hands to the face penalty by Tyrell Graham erased an interception with less than a minute left in the third quarter. But the Red Raiders weren't able to take advantage of the blunder and came away empty after Potts was stuffed for no gain on fourth down from the 1.
David Hunter forced his second fumble of the night when he made Tech freshman Eric Stephens cough itup late in the third quarter. C. J. Cavness recovered it for the Cougars.
They drove to the 4, but came away with only a field goal after three consecutive incomplete passes. That left the Red Raiders ahead 28-23.
Potts connected on a 24-yard TD with Tramain Swindall with about four minutes left in the third quarter. Swindal l shed three Houston defenders, the last near the goal line, on the score that stretched Tech's lead to 28-20.
Bryce Beall's 1-yard rungot Houston within 21-20 midway through the third quarter. A nifty 45-yard reception by Tyron Carrier got the Cougars in scoring position.
Harrison Jeffers pushed Tech's lead to 21- 10 with a 13-yard run less than a minute before halftime. It was Tech's third rushing TD of the half after scoring three on the ground in the previous three games combined.
Mannisto hit a careerlong 50-yard field goal at the end of the second quarter to make it 21-13 at halftime.
The Red Raiders relied on the run on a 69-yard drive capped by an 11-yard run by Baron Batch to take a 14-10 lead in the second quarter.
Keenum put the Cougars up early with a 6-yard touchdown pass to James Cleveland in the fi rst quarter. It was his school-record 19th straight game with a touchdown throw, surpassing Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware.
A 6-yard run by Batch evened it up at 7-all later in the first quarter.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Image_7.jpg
THOMAS METTHE/REPORTER-NEWS
Houston quarterback Case Keenum is mobbed by fans after the Cougars’ win over Texas Tech on Saturday. Keenum scored the game-winning touchdown after leading the Cougars on a 95-yard touchdown drive to win the game.

Aesculus gilmus
09-27-2009, 09:35 AM
It is fortunate for the Longhorns that the SWC collapsed and Houston was sent packing to the C-USA. I'm not so sure Keenum couldn't pull the upset against the Horns also.

This used to be a great rivalry back in the '80s when I was at UT student. I remember one time paying to watch the Texas-Houston game at the Erwin Center on a big screen. At that time the Coogs played at the Astrodome.

Maroon87
09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
When UH came out with an empty backfield on the winning play I told my friends "QB draw"...you could see it a mile away.

garciap77
09-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
When UH came out with an empty backfield on the winning play I told my friends "QB draw"...you could see it a mile away.

He ran that in High School quite a bit.

slingshot
09-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Same Case... Cool as a cucumber. Kid never gets rattled. Huh Cuero? ;)

CueroDad08
09-27-2009, 10:33 AM
The kid is the real deal........He looked just how he did in waco on that last drive in the state championship.

blowfish
09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Are sure this game really happened? I didnt see anything about it in the Abilene Reporter News this morning?

TYPICAL!

CAse Keenum for the Heisman!

KingRob
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Very talented young man. I'm sure his parents must be proud!

Congratulations!:clap:

lostaussie
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
like i said when they beat okie st. i may now be his biggest fan. uh may run the table and if they do the bcs could get interesting. keep it going case:clap::clap:

skins4life
09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
He ran that in High School quite a bit.
Yes he did!! I remember him well!!

injuredinmelee
09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Are sure this game really happened? I didnt see anything about it in the Abilene Reporter News this morning?

TYPICAL!

it didnt end til way after midnight.

Keith7
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Was Keenum QB for Wylie in 2003?

Keith7
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by blowfish

TYPICAL!

lol someone gave our paper crap for not having anything in the paper today about it too.. Our deadline is 11 so anything that happens after that won't get in the paper.. I'm sure the Abilene paper is similar though their deadline is probably closer to 12..

injuredinmelee
09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Was Keenum QB for Wylie in 2003?

yes 2003, 2004, 2005. At least the semis every year? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Halestorm
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm with Maroon on this... I told my daughter the same thing. Like the announcer said about Case and his HS record, "You don't just fall into the endzone 42 times on accident."

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Txbroadcaster had the coolest call for Keenum's long run at TX Stadium.

He should post it.

injuredinmelee
09-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Txbroadcaster had the coolest call for Keenum's long run at TX Stadium.

He should post it.

preach on brutha!!!