PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying Houston/Tx Tech MERGED

K-MAC Chuck
09-26-2009, 09:32 PM
yes, I've been posting a lot tonight because I'm watching the Houston/Tech game...

Good game! Love the Houston program back in prominence~! Looking good against Tech (7-7 with 10:44 to go, 2nd Q)

Anyone else watching this game? :nerd: :thinking: :2thumbsup

sinton66
09-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Where's all the fireworks? UH 10, Tech 7 8:50 left in the 2nd.

K-MAC Chuck
09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Ha!

Maybe you should merge my recent Tech/Houston thread with yours so we only have 1 going! LOL

But wow - where's the offense? Who thought this would be a defensive battle??

ask and ye shall receive 44inarow

LE Dad
09-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
yes, I've been posting a lot tonight because I'm watching the Houston/Tech game...

Good game! Love the Houston program back in prominence~! Looking good against Tech (7-7 with 10:44 to go, 2nd Q)

Anyone else watching this game? :nerd: :thinking: :2thumbsup Oh Yeah!! At Hooters even. :D

STANG RED
09-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Poor clock managment before the half, and stupid play calling on 3rd down is getting UH beat right now. I think huge TT offensive line will dominate the second half now, and Tech will win this by 2 or 3 scores. But I have been very impressed with Keenum. Go look at some of the Joe Montana's college tapes. Keemun moves just like him, and can throw on the run just as well. And he's very smooth in his release. A bit side armed, but very accurate, quick release, and very smooth. Not that Potts is bad at all, but if Keenum was running the Tech offense, they'd be up by a lot more.

HEMOTOXIC
09-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech isn't that good to beat UH by 2 or 3 scores.

skins4life
09-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Are Craig James and Mike Patrick as stupid as they sound??

eagleqb_14
09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
also the starting longsnapper for U of H is a former 3a player
He is from Fairfield and his name is brandon hartson

zebrablue2
09-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
Are Craig James and Mike Patrick as stupid as they sound??

:confused:

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:20 PM
The refs are terrible!! Hands to the face on the int. was a bogus call!!!

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
:confused:

OK, Not that they're stupid! They just keep stating the obvious after every play.

WHS02
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
amen to that. Leach must of paid a good tip!!

navscanmaster
09-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Big stop there!

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh Yea. Can H go the 99 yrds?

44INAROW
09-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Big stop there!

no joke they are showing the play again and trying to see if they can hear the whistle on when his forward progress stopped

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Whistle was'nt blown till after Potts was in the EZ.

zebrablue2
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
The refs are terrible!! Hands to the face on the int. was a bogus call!!!

:iagree:

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
After Leach's interview tonight he will probably get a fine!!!

skins4life
09-26-2009, 11:58 PM
:iagree:
Craig James just stated the refs are having a bad night. Another statement of the obvious.

HEMOTOXIC
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Come on COOGS!

HEMOTOXIC
09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
TOUCHDOWN BABY!

skins4life
09-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Yea "Pardner"!!!

Cats Fan
09-27-2009, 12:03 AM
just hold on!!!

zebrablue2
09-27-2009, 12:03 AM
did hou leave too much time on the clock???

HEMOTOXIC
09-27-2009, 12:07 AM
GREAT GAME!

GOOD WIN HOUSTON!:clap:

Cats Fan
09-27-2009, 12:07 AM
houston wins houston wins...wow! i just had a moment!

zebrablue2
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
GREAT GAME!

GOOD WIN HOUSTON!:clap:

:iagree: happy for the coogs!!

skins4life
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
did hou leave too much time on the clock???
No!

I still think the TD by UH in the 1Q was not one!!

trojan37
09-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Excellent game by Keenum and Houston. Wylie beats Abilene High.

Tx Challenge
09-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow....just wow!

STANG RED
09-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow what a performance by Case Keenum! And on a national stage at that. He's no secret to the rest of the nation anymore. And with their remaining schedule, they could easily run the table and get into a major bowl. And Keenum may even get a serious look for the heisman race now, especially if Tebow is out for very long. Good job by all the Abilene boys tonight.
But I do have to wonder about some of the strange play calling on both sides.

michaelp23
09-27-2009, 12:21 AM
I've seen Keenum lead a game winning drive many times (just ask Cuero). He was in a Purple uniform those times, but it looked good in Red too!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Can you say Heisman Contender?????

:D

zebrablue2
09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
as chuck started this thread,with the word enjoying, he was correct. this was a enjoyable and exciting game to see. once again, big time congrats to the coogs..

pirate4state
09-27-2009, 12:29 AM
fun game to watch! keenum is the real deal. :clap:

wedo
09-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Is it too early to Say BCS BUSTER???

blowfish
09-27-2009, 12:45 AM
On behalf of the gang watching the game at my house ..... AWESOME simply awesome.

markp08
09-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
I've seen Keenum lead a game winning drive many times (just ask Cuero). He was in a Purple uniform those times, but it looked good in Red too!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Can you say Heisman Contender?????

:D

Just an awesome game. I still can't sleep and its 1:45am. I think this will end up being one of the best college games of the year. Case is just simply a winner. I really hope he at least gets into the Heisman discussion. If he continues to play like this he at least deserves to be mentioned.

Wouldn't it be something if Colt and Case are in NY at the downtown Athletic club come January?

TexMike
09-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Whistle was'nt blown till after Potts was in the EZ.

I don't know how anyone knows when the whistle was blown, although it does not matter anyway. There could have been no whistle and it would not have been a TD. The line judge had already started signaklling for clock to stop as he ran in. That means he had judged forward progress had stopped and play was over. Then the Tech players pushed the QB forward (which would have been a foul anyway if it had happened while ball was live).

zebrablue2
09-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
I don't know how anyone knows when the whistle was blown, although it does not matter anyway. There could have been no whistle and it would not have been a TD. The line judge had already started signaklling for clock to stop as he ran in. That means he had judged forward progress had stopped and play was over. Then the Tech players pushed the QB forward (which would have been a foul anyway if it had happened while ball was live).

good call and:iagree: mike. that could have also been flagged. the official made the correct call..

sinton66
09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
That's TWO Big 12 opponents down. Maybe the Coogs have a revenge thing going for being left out in the cold?

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
The Coogs may become a victim of their own success. If this keeps up, one wonders how long they can keep their coaching staff intact before the BCS vultures come swooping in...

garciap77
09-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
On behalf of the gang watching the game at my house ..... AWESOME simply awesome.

Hey Blowfish! Thanks for inviting me!:(

J/K Great game!:clap:

SWMustang
09-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Poor clock managment before the half, and stupid play calling on 3rd down is getting UH beat right now. I think huge TT offensive line will dominate the second half now, and Tech will win this by 2 or 3 scores. But I have been very impressed with Keenum. Go look at some of the Joe Montana's college tapes. Keemun moves just like him, and can throw on the run just as well. And he's very smooth in his release. A bit side armed, but very accurate, quick release, and very smooth. Not that Potts is bad at all, but if Keenum was running the Tech offense, they'd be up by a lot more.

I think the humidity down here played a factor. Tech looked tired in the second half.

1st and goal
09-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I am so happy for the Coogs! Heck with Heisman, Keenum for president!

I remember when they wanted in the SWC and a couple of teams wouldn't vote yes....hummm Finally they got in. And proceeded to kick rear.

Now they got snubbed in the Big 12. I think they should be put in Big 12 and let Iowa State go fend for themselves. Put OSU in northern half.

Robertson Stadium was packed to the gills. Hottest ticket in town. I heard the students lined up at 11pm the night before to get the last available tickets.

I remember Jeppesen stadium although the only time I ever went there was for the 1976 Jimmy Buffet/ Eagles concert. Showing my age....:eek:

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Now they got snubbed in the Big 12. I think they should be put in Big 12 and let Iowa State go fend for themselves. Put OSU in northern half.
With a packed-to-the-gills crowd of 31,000, I don't see that happening. The stadium capacity is a serious liability where their hopes to join a BCS conference are concerned.

blowfish
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by garciap77
[B]Hey Blowfish! Thanks for inviting me!:(

Sorry.... It was a thing for my guys at work. You know to let them know the boss actually likes em!

Told them the game, food, drinks, and parking, were free. THe bathrooms on the other hand were a small nominal fee. I actually made a little money on the deal! :D

Your invited when Houston plays Texas for the national championship! :thinking:

sinton66
09-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
With a packed-to-the-gills crowd of 31,000, I don't see that happening. The stadium capacity is a serious liability where their hopes to join a BCS conference are concerned.

Okay, but what's to stop them from playing in Reliant Stadium on Saturdays?

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Okay, but what's to stop them from playing in Reliant Stadium on Saturdays?
Fair point. Hadn't thought about that. They'd have to in order to be considered by a big-time BCS conference, I think.

sinton66
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm sure you're right, but where there's a will, there's a way.;)

K-MAC Chuck
09-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm sure you're right, but where there's a will, there's a way.;)

And where there's $$$, there's a way! :D :2thumbsup

garciap77
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
[QUOTE]Originally posted by garciap77
[B]Hey Blowfish! Thanks for inviting me!:(

Sorry.... It was a thing for my guys at work. You know to let them know the boss actually likes em!

Told them the game, food, drinks, and parking, were free. THe bathrooms on the other hand were a small nominal fee. I actually made a little money on the deal! :D

Your invited when Houston plays Texas for the national championship! :thinking:

When did they start letting inmates leave the prison for college football games!:D J/K

That would be great to have UH play Texas for the national championship! McCoy vs Keenum!:D Why not! I wonder if injuredinmelee would wear his gear to this one!:D

;)

carter08
09-27-2009, 03:56 PM
there are rumors we're going to be expanding robertson.

to everyone who said UH should play at Reliant, no offense but please shut up.

winning teams play on campus. they play in packed, loud stadiums. they don't have 5 miles away in an 80,000 person pro football stadium. teams that do that don't get the kind of atmosphere that you get with on campus games.

you put UH/TT over there and you lose all the excitement of this game. you spread the fans out, you put them further from the players, you leave a lot of empty seats up top. UH needs to build Robertson up and keep the games on campus, playing at Reliant is a TERRIBLE idea that would do nothing but hurt this team.

carter08
09-27-2009, 03:58 PM
oh, and the game was good too. back to the good part of being on campus, we kept the stadium rocking the entire time. keenum played a great game, the UH defense stepped up big, and now we are 3-0.

WHOSE HOUSE?

COOGS HOUSE.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Only 80,000? Tiny:D

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by carter08

winning teams play on campus. they play in packed, loud stadiums. they don't have 5 miles away in an 80,000 person pro football stadium. teams that do that don't get the kind of atmosphere that you get with on campus games.
Well, here's the thing. Does a BCS conference commit to UH before Robertson is expanded? Can the Coogs and their boosters raise enough money to expand Robertson to, say, at least 50,000? Could they raise that much money without a BCS conference commitment?

Would UH commit to expanding Robertson unless they knew they would have the money that came with a Big 12 home schedule?

Probably not in all cases.

Unless the Coogs are much better at fund raising and consistently packing 'em in at Robertson, I can't see them expanding unless they knew a BCS conference invite depended on it. And I don't see the BCS calling unless Robertson is expanded. It would seem like a Catch-22 situation: no bigger stadium, no BCS invite; no BCS invite; no money for expanding Robertson to BCS conference standards.

The only way around this conundrum, I think, is for the Coogs to play in Reliant for a handful of years and then move back into an expanded Robertson which is large enough to befit a team in a BCS conference.

carter08
09-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, here's the thing. Does a BCS conference commit to UH before Robertson is expanded? Can the Coogs and their boosters raise enough money to expand Robertson to, say, at least 50,000? Could they raise that much money without a BCS conference commitment?

Would UH commit to expanding Robertson unless they knew they would have the money that came with a Big 12 home schedule?

Probably not in all cases.

Unless the Coogs are much better at fund raising and consistently packing 'em in at Robertson, I can't see them expanding unless they knew a BCS conference invite depended on it. And I don't see the BCS calling unless Robertson is expanded. It would seem like a Catch-22 situation: no bigger stadium, no BCS invite; no BCS invite; no money for expanding Robertson to BCS conference standards.

The only way around this conundrum, I think, is for the Coogs to play in Reliant for a handful of years and then move back into an expanded Robertson which is large enough to befit a team in a BCS conference.

by rumors, i don't mean a bunch of students just talking. the school has been looking into expanding to 50k for a while now, has hired architectures to look things over, and construction could start as soon as this offseason.

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Video - Part 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2EB0ydXr6M

sinton66
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by carter08 winning teams play on campus

The Red River Rivalry isn't played on campus. Most bowl games aren't played on campus. Winning programs do so wherever they play. If UH feels they HAVE to play on campus to win, perhaps they aren't quite there yet.

carter08
09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
The Red River Rivalry isn't played on campus. Most bowl games aren't played on campus. Winning programs do so wherever they play. If UH feels they HAVE to play on campus to win, perhaps they aren't quite there yet.

an important part of college games is that atmosphere. OU/Texas is a game that transcends the normal college environment because it is the personification of the Texas/ Oklahoma state rivalries. Bowl Games are different too, being neutral site games that both teams travel for.

winning teams win at home. they create a hostile environment for the opposing team. playing on campus is a tradition in college football, you don't see winning teams playing their home games across a major US city from the actual campus.

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 05:21 PM
playing on campus is a tradition in college football, you don't see winning teams playing their home games across a major US city from the actual campus.
Of course, most of the teams with the strongest winning traditions don't share the spotlight with an NFL team in their neighborhood.

In other words, not many of the perennial top programs are urban universities with NFL competition. (Yes, there are a handful of exceptions.)

But look at most of the most passionately followed and regularly top-20 programs in the country. College football tends to be the undisputed king in those areas because there's rarely an NFL presence.

Not saying UH can't do it, but being in an urban area with an NFL presence makes it a lot tougher to get the "mindshare" of the local fans. Then again, winning can take care a lot of that -- if it can be sustained.

Not trying to be a naysayer -- I wish the Coogs much luck in the effort -- but I do think that being an urban campus with NFL competition will make it more difficult.

carter08
09-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Of course, most of the teams with the strongest winning traditions don't share the spotlight with an NFL team in their neighborhood.

In other words, not many of the perennial top programs are urban universities with NFL competition. (Yes, there are a handful of exceptions.)

But look at most of the most passionately followed and regularly top-20 programs in the country. College football tends to be the undisputed king in those areas because there's rarely an NFL presence.

Not saying UH can't do it, but being in an urban area with an NFL presence makes it a lot tougher to get the "mindshare" of the local fans. Then again, winning can take care a lot of that -- if it can be sustained.

Not trying to be a naysayer -- I wish the Coogs much luck in the effort -- but I do think that being an urban campus with NFL competition will make it more difficult.

how do you explain their winning back in the SWC days then? the oilers were in town then, UH still won.

ziggy29
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM
how do you explain their winning back in the SWC days then? the oilers were in town then, UH still won.
I think the dynamics and economics of college football in the BCS era have changed enormously since then, but I'd like to be proven wrong in this case.

More than ever, conference affiliation is everything.

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
The two announcers sucked. I forget the other one but him and Craig James seemed like they had never seen a game of football before.

STANG RED
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think the humidity down here played a factor. Tech looked tired in the second half.

I think your right. As a flat dry lander myself, that has spent a lot of time in hot humid environments like Austin and Houston, I can certainly say it takes several weeks to get acclimated to those conditions. But Techs poor use of timeouts probably added to that as well. In fact both teams made some terrible mistakes with clock managment, play calling, and use of timeouts. As hard and good as those young men played, on both teams, I think some of the coaching decisions were pitiful. Both teams outplayed their coaching IMO.
And I thought a lot of the officiating was very poor as well. I dont think it gave either team an advantage though, because it was poor in both directions.

carter08
09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
I think the dynamics and economics of college football in the BCS era have changed enormously since then, but I'd like to be proven wrong in this case.

More than ever, conference affiliation is everything.

it is. which is why i'm hoping a big 12 invite will come along with this stadium. imagine the possibilities if you have a major conference school in the recruiting mecca that is Houston.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM

you put UH/TT over there and you lose all the excitement of this game. you spread the fans out, you put them further from the players, you leave a lot of empty seats up top. UH needs to build Robertson up and keep the games on campus, playing at Reliant is a TERRIBLE idea that would do nothing but hurt this team.

Agreed.

Eagle 1
09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Potts is definately not as good a qb as Harrell and I don't think he ever will be.
Just goes to prove that not all of our qb's are a product of the system.

The one annoucer from Houston was just a little biased......(note the sarcasm)

95mustang
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech got away from what was working for them at the end of the first half. Leach just couldn't get away from the pass. Tech was running the ball at will in the 2nd qtr, but yet tried very little in the 2nd half. He has one of the most talented backs he has ever had in the backfield and still won't use him to his advantage. Wonder why most of the top running backs steer away from Tech? This game proved why.

raider red 2000
09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
does U of H have a band?

watching the game at home, all i ever heard band wise was the Goin band from raider land. maybe i just piked up on the tech stuff because it is recognizable.

(not talkin smack...just askin)

Emerson1
09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow!

Leach indefinitely suspends standout lineman

http://www.redraiders.com/2009/09/27/techs-carter-announces-suspension-via-twitter/

95mustang
09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Wow!

Leach indefinitely suspends standout lineman

http://www.redraiders.com/2009/09/27/techs-carter-announces-suspension-via-twitter/

Wow is right.

carter08
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
does U of H have a band?

watching the game at home, all i ever heard band wise was the Goin band from raider land. maybe i just piked up on the tech stuff because it is recognizable.

(not talkin smack...just askin)

yes, tech band was just far too loud for you to hear the coog band.

raider red 2000
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
yes, tech band was just far too loud for you to hear the coog band.

seriously?

carter08
09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
seriously?

the raider band was huge, our band is not huge. plus, they were right next to our student section, which was very loud and helped to drown the sound of our band out.

STANG RED
09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Tech got away from what was working for them at the end of the first half. Leach just couldn't get away from the pass. Tech was running the ball at will in the 2nd qtr, but yet tried very little in the 2nd half. He has one of the most talented backs he has ever had in the backfield and still won't use him to his advantage. Wonder why most of the top running backs steer away from Tech? This game proved why.

Your right! And I would say that Leach got out coached, but the UH coach pulled just as many bone headed calls that probably evened things out. The whole game was just as badly coached as it was officiated. At least the players on both sides managed to overcome most of it, and made a great game of it.

95mustang
09-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Your right! And I would say that Leach got out coached, but the UH coach pulled just as many bone headed calls that probably evened things out. The whole game was just as badly coached as it was officiated. At least the players on both sides managed to overcome most of it, and made a great game of it.

I agree on that also. It was a good game and exciting to watch to say the least. I saw some very good things from both teams and some very bad things as well (mostly from the coaches and officials as you stated above).