PDA

View Full Version : Does 0-10 hurt your program?

shamu85
09-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Just wondering what some of your opinions are on a team going 0-10 for a program.

(5A I know but relavant to all) Georgetown made the playoffs last year for the first time since '99, but we may very well go 0-10 as we only had two starters back on D and lost one of them for the season. Tonight we lost our starting QB. I know next year we should have at least 5 defensive starters back and the experience is definitely what is killing us there, but also two top receivers and 3 O-linemen back. I just hate to think an 0-10 year could derail building for next year.

Trashman
09-25-2009, 11:44 PM
0-10 doesn't hurt your program at all; as long as you fire the coach at the end of the season. J/K:D

Depends on the attitude of the team and the community. Some schools it would destroy, others would bounce back quickly.

shamu85
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
First year HC, took over when former HC became AD for the district in anticipation of opening a new HS. He was OC. Good guy and will get them there. Attendance is still good, but I heard lots of negative comments from people who obviously didn't know jack about football, especially the spread offense.

Trashman
09-26-2009, 12:00 AM
It's too early to tell. People gripe, that is what they do best. If the guy can coach you will know by the end of the year. Until then support the team the best way you can and stay away from the "nay sayers". They have a way of making good people think bad things.:thinking:

Corn Cob
09-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Does a bear poop in the woods?

KTJ
09-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
First year HC, took over when former HC became AD for the district in anticipation of opening a new HS. He was OC. Good guy and will get them there. Attendance is still good, but I heard lots of negative comments from people who obviously didn't know jack about football, especially the spread offense.

So Georgetown finally decided to open up a 2nd high school? I was always under the impression they knew they had to do that but didn't want to.

(They being the community and school board.)

Snyder_TigerFan
09-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Ask Sweetwater in a few weeks.
:)

coach
09-26-2009, 02:23 AM
it looks like fairfield is heading towards this road...i sure hope not. we ahve some good kids and piske is a solid coach and there is a lot of talent coming up so hopefully we make the right decsion

IrishTex
09-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

Very funny..

:rolleyes:

I think teams just have to continue to work hard and believe in the system. I just think there are times a program will have to stop and take a breath, especially if there is a coaching change and a new coaching philosophy.

WOS87
09-26-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm sure it hurts emotionally and it can't be good for morale but if you have a good tradition, a good fan base, and a good coaching staff it can most definitely be overcome. Just look at Plano in the past 6 seasons:

2003 0-10 (13 game losing streak from '02-'04)

2005 13-1 (gave eventual champ Southlake Carroll all they could handle in a Quarterfinal loss 27-37)

2007 13-2 (gave eventual champ Euless Trinity all they could handle in a Semifinal loss 27-30)

This is a program that hadn't gone winless in a season since 1907 prior to that and had a record 36 consecutive winning seasons from 1960-1995. They seem to have bounced back just fine from 2003.

IrishTex
09-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
I'm sure it hurts emotionally and it can't be good for morale but if you have a good tradition, a good fan base, and a good coaching staff it can most definitely be overcome. Just look at Plano in the past 6 seasons

2005 13-1 (gave eventual champ Southlake Carroll all they could handle in a Quarterfinal loss 27-37)

2007 13-2 (gave eventual champ Euless Trinity all they could handle in a Semifinal loss 27-30)

Thanks WOS....you made me see the light and I feel much better now...

How much for the counseling??

:D :D

sinton66
09-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
Just wondering what some of your opinions are on a team going 0-10 for a program.

(5A I know but relavant to all) Georgetown made the playoffs last year for the first time since '99, but we may very well go 0-10 as we only had two starters back on D and lost one of them for the season. Tonight we lost our starting QB. I know next year we should have at least 5 defensive starters back and the experience is definitely what is killing us there, but also two top receivers and 3 O-linemen back. I just hate to think an 0-10 year could derail building for next year.

It can hurt the program if your "system" allows it to. It can also serve as a catalyst for the following year. Year before last, Sinton hired a new coach and he installed a new offense. We went 1-9 his first year. Our fans saw some good things during that season though, and were optimistic. Last year, the team went 11-1, losing in the Regional Championship by one touchdown. It can be overcome.

Looking4number8
09-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

Sweetwater could very well go 0-10 this year but if they believe in the system and continue to work hard, they could also go 5-5 this year. Honestly we are all 0-0 in district and I hope Snyder does not take Sweetwater lightly.. it could be a bad thing for you guys. Good luck Sweetwater.. bounce back and make some people look like D.A.'s (but play poorly against us!)

ziggy29
09-26-2009, 09:11 AM
It definitely can hurt. In the case of Ingram Moore, I've heard of people pulling strings and/or moving a few miles just so their kids can play football at Kerrville Tivy instead of in Ingram.

LE Dad
09-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Coach needs to get on the subject of getting the kids motivated. You have a lot of potential returning talent, but if they don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, they will quit or transfer. Your unsupportive, vocal fans are another problem. That can spread through the stands, and with parents there, it gets back to the kids that "the coach doesn't know what he is doing" or the various other "expert" opinions that you hear. Sit by these few and calmly educate them, it does wonders. When I get a knowledgeable group around me, I look for the next "the coach is stupid" or "c'mon guys you suck" and relocate. 0-10 by itself doesn't hurt but if it becomes a "losing atmosphere" then you could have a few long years .:thinking:

Cowboy_Up
09-26-2009, 09:44 AM
The problem is 0-10 usually happens after a coaching change when the previous guy leaves the cupboard bare.

I've seen it happen when a coach knows his talent level is dropping and he puts all his emphasis on the varsity without continuing to develop the lower levels. He squeezes as many wins as possible and then cuts and runs.

If your coaches are not developing the JR High kids and paying attention to your lower levels, watch out.

It became obvious that our previous coach had no intention of sticking around and he did nothing to develop the lower levels and that has hurt us.
What I like about our current coach is he spends a lot of time making sure the lower levels are getting the attention they need. Because of that I think we'll win more than we lose in the future. No amount of coaching can make up for lack of talent, but good preparation and discipline can help to keep a program competitive in down years. If I was looking for a coach, I'd be interested in his varsity record, but I'd also be interested in his ability to develop strong teams at the lower levels. You build from the bottom up.

shamu85
09-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
I'm sure it hurts emotionally and it can't be good for morale but if you have a good tradition, a good fan base, and a good coaching staff it can most definitely be overcome. Just look at Plano in the past 6 seasons:

This is a program that hadn't gone winless in a season since 1907 prior to that and had a record 36 consecutive winning seasons from 1960-1995. They seem to have bounced back just fine from 2003.

Plano is a good example. I am truly not that worried about Georgetown, I was really looking for these kinds of examples of programs rebounding or those that didn't for a while.

I_DONT_CARE
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
IT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY CONSECUTIVE 0-10 SEASONS YOU HAVE.

IrishTex
09-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
The problem is 0-10 usually happens after a coaching change when the previous guy leaves the cupboard bare.

I've seen it happen when a coach knows his talent level is dropping and he puts all his emphasis on the varsity without continuing to develop the lower levels. He squeezes as many wins as possible and then cuts and runs.

If your coaches are not developing the JR High kids and paying attention to your lower levels, watch out.

It became obvious that our previous coach had no intention of sticking around and he did nothing to develop the lower levels and that has hurt us.
What I like about our current coach is he spends a lot of time making sure the lower levels are getting the attention they need. Because of that I think we'll win more than we lose in the future. No amount of coaching can make up for lack of talent, but good preparation and discipline can help to keep a program competitive in down years. If I was looking for a coach, I'd be interested in his varsity record, but I'd also be interested in his ability to develop strong teams at the lower levels. You build from the bottom up.

Cowboy, that was an excellent post!!

I had the opportunity to talk to the Sweetwater Head coach when I went home for our Homecoming reunion. I asked him that very question: "Are you implimenting the new plays at the junior high level?" and he was very enthusiastic about that. Coach Slaughter is a young, brilliant-minded coach, and I think Sweetwater will benefit from his and his staff's coaching for many years to come...

Antec
09-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Danbury in 2A could go 0-10

shamu85
09-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Danbury in 2A could go 0-10

Unfortunately, they have had a lot of 0-10 seasons. I don't remember the last time they had a winning season other than the 80's when Ricky Foyt was playing.