PDA

View Full Version : The Rugby Punt

Bullaholic
09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I've been seeing a lot of teams in HS and college use the sprint-out rugby type punt. What do you think?

SHSBulldog00
09-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I've seen a lot of teams use it. I'm fine with it if the punter punts the ball correctly.

blowfish
09-25-2009, 02:02 PM
...that it is stupid and eventually they will get blocked.

Bullaholic
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by blowfish

As I understand it, the main purpose of the rugby punt is to punt the ball directionally---preferably out of bounds where there is no risk of a long punt return.

Emerson1
09-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Normal punts are blocked all the time too.

What teams need to do is find someone who can kick just fine with both legs, then you never know which way they might go.

Bullaholic
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Normal punts are blocked all the time too.

What teams need to do is find someone who can kick just fine with both legs, then you never know which way they might go.

But wouldn't the kicker fall on his butt in that case, Emerson? :D :D :D

LE Dad
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I think if you can do it. It will give you an advantage. Especially if you mix it up with a conventional punt. I am a big fan of quick kicks. Our QB was also our punter in 06. You never knew what to expect. Fake punt, quick kick, a total nightmare for special teams. :cool:

BwdLions
09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
But wouldn't the kicker fall on his butt in that case, Emerson? :D :D :D

Yes, that would be shear talent to see that one done (and finish on at least one leg). It might look like when you drop a cat with it's feet up. They sure get their feet under them in a hurry before they hit the ground. (Not that I would ever do that).

LE Dad
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
But wouldn't the kicker fall on his butt in that case, Emerson? :D :D :D :fnypost: :fnypost:

kaorder1999
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
THE RUGBY PUNT GIVES YOUR PUNT COVER TEAM A CHANCE TO GET A LITTLE FURTHER DOWN FIELD TO COVER THE PUNT

Farmersfan
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
THE RUGBY PUNT GIVES YOUR PUNT COVER TEAM A CHANCE TO GET A LITTLE FURTHER DOWN FIELD TO COVER THE PUNT

How so? There are still rules on who can leave the line before the ball is kicked isn't there? The only advantage I see to this is directional and gives the punter the option of taking off if the defense doesn't cover his rollout. I saw a college kicker doing this last weekend but can't remember which school......

poisoned10
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I think if you can do it. It will give you an advantage. Especially if you mix it up with a conventional punt. I am a big fan of quick kicks. Our QB was also our punter in 06. You never knew what to expect. Fake punt, quick kick, a total nightmare for special teams. :cool:

Will Middlebrooks not only played QB and did the punting, he called the plays, coached the players, was a 1-man marching band, ran the consessions, took your tickets, did announcements over the PA, officiated the game, acted as the field and ate your food.

One of the most talented kids I've ever seen on the field. Gilmer sophmore Luke Turner will be a lot like him. He is a fantastic QB and will likely start there next year, started at LB as a freshman and was a beast, starts at LB/WR this year and has made some really nice catches and does our punting. Also saw him last year do some place kicking before the games and he was booting them 50+yards consistently. He is a freakin' athlete as was Will.

marler1972
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
How so? There are still rules on who can leave the line before the ball is kicked isn't there? The only advantage I see to this is directional and gives the punter the option of taking off if the defense doesn't cover his rollout. I saw a college kicker doing this last weekend but can't remember which school......

Texas used the Rugby punt against Tech

Farmersfan
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM
It seems to be a good way to punt if you have a kid that can make a quick decision. It would be a punt/run/pass option everytime.

TexMike
09-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

Only in the NFL in HS and college, players can go downfield as soon as the ball is snaoped. Do not have to wait for the kick.