PDA

View Full Version : Penalty Enforcement

CenTexSports
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Team A fumbles and it is picked by Team B. During the run Team B blocks in the back but then fumbles and Team A recovers.

It is now Team A's ball 1st and 10 but what about the block in the back?

tex_male
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
How about this one: Team A is 4th down and 20, they punt and during or after the return Both team A and Team B get penalty for unsportman like conduct "offsetting". The refs gave the ball back to Team A with 1st. down at the spot they were at on 4th down.

poisoned10
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm no official or anything, but I would think you could either take the block in the back and it still be team B's ball after yardage is marked off, or you could decline the penalty and take the ball where it was marked down for team A.

Red&White_9x5
09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
This one is pretty simple. Team has two choices: 1- Take the block in the back penalty and allow Team B to keep the ball or 2- Decline the penalty and take the result of the play which was a fumble recovery

LE Dad
09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by tex_male
How about this one: Team A is 4th down and 20, they punt and during or after the return Both team A and Team B get penalty for unsportman like conduct "offsetting". The refs gave the ball back to Team A with 1st. down at the spot they were at on 4th down. Wow!! Were you at the LE / Mt Pleasant game?? I still do not understand why??

Gators17
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
How about this one: Team A is 4th down and 20, they punt and during or after the return Both team A and Team B get penalty for unsportman like conduct "offsetting". The refs gave the ball back to Team A with 1st. down at the spot they were at on 4th down.

That is not right at all. If the penalties offset then essentially there was no penalty at all (if both teams both get personal fouls no yardage is marked off or anything) and it should be Team B's ball at the spot the returner went down at after the return, as if there were no penalty at all.

tex_male
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Wow!! Were you at the LE / Mt Pleasant game?? I still do not understand why??

No. This was at Monahans / Pecos game in 3rd Qt.

tex_male
09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
There was also: 4th down and Team A is punting, Team B gets a hand on the ball and runs into kicker. 1st. down Team A

95mustang
09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
There was also: 4th down and Team A is punting, Team B gets a hand on the ball and runs into kicker. 1st. down Team A

I have seen that one before. Copperas Cove vs Brownwood.

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Did Team A have 5 yards or less to get the 1st down before the punt?

Emerson1
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
If they get their hand on the ball running into the kicker shouldn't have been called.

sahen
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM

if it was after the play then it should have been offsetting and Team B gets the ball like nothing happened...if it was during the play then you redo 4th down.....if however, Team B had the personal fould during the play and Team A's personal foul was after THEN Team A would get the ball at the original line of scrimmage for 4th and 20 and they would have first down...

TexMike
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM

That would be an incorrect. If it was truly "unsportsmanlike conducts" that were flagged, then they would be live ball penalized as dead ball fouls and would cancel out. WHatever the result of the play was woul stand. I suspect what they really had were live ball personl fouls on each team. They would offset and the down would be replayed in most cases. There could be some differences, i.e. the receiving team foul happened downfield a ways. In that type case, the receivers could decline the kicker's penalty and keep the ball with their own penalty enforced. But no way does the kicking team get a 1st down out of this.

TexMike
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If they get their hand on the ball running into the kicker shouldn't have been called.

Possibly. Depends who on the receiving team tipped the ball and who hit the punter. If it is not the same person, then there could be a foul.

CenTexSports
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
OK Tex Mike, but what about the original question. I agree with the first responder but what is correct?

CenTexSports
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
BTW, the emphasis at our last meeting was on too many mistakes on personal fouls and unsportsmanship which changes the penalty enforcement in most cases.

LE Dad
09-25-2009, 11:30 AM
No. This was at Monahans / Pecos game in 3rd Qt. Same exact thing happened to LE. Put the offense on the field, next thing I know MP coach is on field after few minutes MP offense comes out?? Their ball. :doh:

TexMike
09-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Team A fumbles and it is picked by Team B. During the run Team B blocks in the back but then fumbles and Team A recovers.

It is now Team A's ball 1st and 10 but what about the block in the back?

As was said by another, Team A must decline this penalty or else they will not get the ball with a 1st and 10 from wherever they have it. If they accept the penalty, it will be Team B's ball, either 10 yards from the spot of the foul or 10 yards from spot they fumbled depending on which is further back.

And your chapter was right to spend some time on personal foul versus unsprotsmanlike conduct. What we call the act is critical for several reasons, i.e. enforcement, if it "counts against" the offender, etc. And way too often we call it the wrong thing.

GreenMonster
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
TexMike:

What are the current scenarios for a kickoff gone out of bounds? I know that this changed in the not so distant past and I feel like there is still confusion as to the placement of the ball. Seems like it used to be the 35 yard line or re-kick. Now that has changed as well as the offense has the right to take the ball where it went out of bounds as well. What is the correct set of options?

GATAPride77
09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Not Mike but here is the answer.

Assuming the KO was from the 40yl. There are three options of which only two are generally given to the coach/capt.

Take ball at spot it went out of bounds plus 5yds.
or
Take ball at the 30yl (30yds downfield from kicking spot)

Take the most advantageous spot of the two above options or they can opt to re-kick from the 35yl (5yd penalty at spot of kick)