PDA

View Full Version : I am through with Sweetwater

bearcat1
10-12-2002, 09:38 AM
This team has been in and out of the top 10 all season. If I am mistaken correct me but, this isn't the first time they have had a lead and allowed the other team to come snatch it away late. Haven't they lost in other OT games? Maybe not, maybe this was the first and i'm mistaken. Either way, I'm sorry but that's where heart and soul kicks in. Do you or do you not want to win. It seems to me that this team, when its back is against the wall and its faced with a little bit of trouble, crumbles. If they have to actually work for a win, they don't get it, or can't protect the win once they do have it. Heart? Discipline? Not sure what's missing. But I don't like teams like this. Sweetwater, I am removing you again from the top ten and two things will have to happen before you are back in. LEARN TO FIGHT FOR THE WIN and HAVE SOME HEART. God. Same thing every year...DISAPPOINTMENT. WAKE UP MUSTANGS.
bc
PS Let me add for our Snyder audience, I am in no way making light of your team, as you will see on the 3-3A page I ranked them AHEAD of Sweetwater in the preseason district picks. But at this point in the season, a few things had happened to cause me to second guess myself. BIG MISTAKE. Should have stuck with my own preseason prediction and went with Snyder. Sweetwater is not a team that you can rely on. At least, that's how I feel. Apologies.
bc

vet93
10-12-2002, 10:22 AM
BC...I certainly understand how you feel. I not only lobbied to get Sweetwater considered for the top 10 but I also picked them to take the region in divsion II. Their inconsistent play is dissapointing. I think that they have what I call the "bighead" syndrome. This syndrome causes teams to play to the level of their opponent especially when they think that they are better than the other team. This syndrome will really come up to bite you if you go against a team the has some talent and heart. They will usually come on to bite you in the 4th quarter. When Sweetwater respects their opponent, they play very well (ie. Andrews, Wylie and Greenwood). Sweetwater is one of those playoff kindof teams that seem to do well in the playoffs because the "bighead" factor is negated to a large extent due to the atmosphere and because no team can be overlooked. I am still going to give them the benefit of the doubt. On an upbeat note...Snyder seems to have gotten the monkey off of their back and may be ready to assume their role as a DI favorite. They still have some tough games to play though. Merkel looked sharp and Lamesa dissapointed again. This is the most interesting district race in West Texas. It is a lot of fun to watch. Good luck to all of the teams.

Wtx_coach
10-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Bearcat give these kids a brake from Sweetwater, hey they are just kids, they are not in the NFL, all kids who play high school football have heart just for being out on the field for free, hey Sweetwater might brake down but loosen up, these are teenager kids were talking about, oh yea im still saying if sweetwater plays greenwood in the 1st round they will beat the rangers.

tors2002
10-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Wow, that was rough Bearcat1. I am very dissapointed in Lamesa but would never say they were not playing without heart. Lamesa had the fumbles again last night. They also ran the hell out of the ball and once again their opponent played the run. Lucky guess by DC coach...NOT.

Also, one more suggestion to the coaches. If your sophomore kick returner keeps making bad decisions or fumbles then he just may not be the right player for the job. Try a wide receiver or someone else.

Ranger Mom
10-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Wtx_coach:
Bearcat give these kids a brake from Sweetwater, hey they are just kids, they are not in the NFL, all kids who play high school football have heart just for being out on the field for free, hey Sweetwater might brake down but loosen up, these are teenager kids were talking about, oh yea im still saying if sweetwater plays greenwood in the 1st round they will beat the rangers.http://www.opelwerk.com/smiley-project/animated/scared-smilies/SUNeek2.gif

Geez Coach, don't scare me like that!! I for one DO NOT want to meet Sweetwater again!! I don't want to see in instant replay of last years play-off game with Crane!
I thought bearcat1's opinion was kinda harsh, but that is MY opinion. I don't understand what happened last night, but I won't underestimate Sweetwater!!

vet93
10-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Guys...I think that you misunderstood my post. You might go back and reread it. I did not say that Sweetwater lacked heart. What I said was that if a team takes another team lightly that has some talent and heart that they will make you pay for taking them lightly. My point was that I thought that Sweetwater did not take a good Snyder team serious enough because of their record. I think that they saw the Greenwood score and thought that Snyder was overated. In the same post I said that I am giving Sweetwater the benefit of the doubt and that I have had them rated as one of the top teams all year long. If have followed Sweetwater as closely as I have for the past two years you will see that they have a tendency to play down to their opponent and to get "up" for the bigger games and play really well. I also said that I thought that they would do well in the playoffs. One comment about "there only 18 years old". I understand that, but on the other hand why can't we expect greater things from our youth. In times past 18 year old "kids" were expected to hold down an occupation and support a family. To suggest that these kids can't prepare for a game on a week to week basis and perform to their capabilities (not necesarrily above their capabilities) is doing these kids a great disservice. We have enough Whiny people in this world looking for an excuse to fail or someone else to blame. Let's let them stand on their accomplishments and failures without making excuses.

Wtx_coach:
Bearcat give these kids a brake from Sweetwater, hey they are just kids, they are not in the NFL, all kids who play high school football have heart just for being out on the field for free, hey Sweetwater might brake down but loosen up, these are teenager kids were talking about, oh yea im still saying if sweetwater plays greenwood in the 1st round they will beat the rangers.

bearcat1
10-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Give the kids a break?? Oh geez give ME a break. This is a high school website, devoted to covering the teams in this state. I did not make reference to the kids as individuals, what I said was, the TEAM is a disappointment. As in, their performance. Not them as individuals, but their PERFORMANCE AS A TEAM...and it is. WTCoach, your comment about "all the kids have heart just for being out there for free" is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. And I'll tell you why I think that. Anybody, I repeat anybody, could just 'be out there". That does not mean they have heart. And what does 'for free" mean?? It is A PRIVELEGE to represent your school as an athlete and play football. For free. It is one thing to just "be on the team" .... it is quite another to play to win. Are you sure you are a coach?? I don't think Sweetwater is playing hard enough. And vet didn't say it but hell I will, I think the Sweetwater team lacks heart. Why is that considered "sooo harsh"???? It's not an individual-kid comment, its an observation of the team's performance. Man, what is this.....Warm Fuzzy week.
bc

wildstangs
10-12-2002, 03:47 PM
bearcat1:
This team has been in and out of the top 10 all season. If I am mistaken correct me but, this isn't the first time they have had a lead and allowed the other team to come snatch it away late. Haven't they lost in other OT games? Maybe not, maybe this was the first and i'm mistaken. Either way, I'm sorry but that's where heart and soul kicks in. Do you or do you not want to win. It seems to me that this team, when its back is against the wall and its faced with a little bit of trouble, crumbles. If they have to actually work for a win, they don't get it, or can't protect the win once they do have it. Heart? Discipline? Not sure what's missing. But I don't like teams like this. Sweetwater, I am removing you again from the top ten and two things will have to happen before you are back in. LEARN TO FIGHT FOR THE WIN and HAVE SOME HEART. God. Same thing every year...DISAPPOINTMENT. WAKE UP MUSTANGS.
bc
PS Let me add for our Snyder audience, I am in no way making light of your team, as you will see on the 3-3A page I ranked them AHEAD of Sweetwater in the preseason district picks. But at this point in the season, a few things had happened to cause me to second guess myself. BIG MISTAKE. Should have stuck with my own preseason prediction and went with Snyder. Sweetwater is not a team that you can rely on. At least, that's how I feel. Apologies.
bcWah wah wah. I am so crushed that you have removed us from your poll. We should not even finish the rest of the season now. Last I checked polls dont have any impact on who gets the W, and who gets the L. So we had a bad game? This was our first OT this year. This was our first OT in school history. We have lost to 3 very good teams, All on the road. Too bad we cant stay at home where we are undefeated. I was just as dissapointed as you were. We felt we had a first down in the first OT after Carillo went 2 yards on a 4th and 1. However for some reason we didnt get it. I was very dissapointed that we blew the game. I respect you bearcat, but please dont belittle my old friends from high school. They are just kids. To say that they dont have heart is total disrespect from you. We also fought for the win. Snyder jsut fought a little harder.

Chris Hart
10-12-2002, 03:59 PM
I think Sweetwater probably has alot of heart just to be in these games, but just ran into 3 slightly better teams in Graham,Greenwood and Snyder.

vet93
10-12-2002, 05:19 PM
I want to set the record straight. I was not questioning the heart of the Mustangs. I was talking about their tendency to play down to their opponents and how this can get you into trouble. For what it is worth I have seen this same tendency in my own hometown team. It is a common mistake and one that doesn't have to happen. I have been a fan of the Mustangs and have wished them nothing but success (you can ask Wildstangs). I think that BC's comments were directed at the fact that Sweetwater has lost 3 close games that they very well could have won and that might indicate a lack of heart. In my opinion I don't think that heart is the issue as much as the discipine to prepare for each team regardless of its percieved capability. Plus...all of those teams are pretty darn good. I would be pleased as punch if my Bearcats had the same record against the same opponents. The Mustangs are going to be o.k. They will do some damage in their region if they can get a few breaks. They need to sew up the #1 small school position in their district so that they don't have to face Greenwood again so early though.

bearcat1
10-12-2002, 06:26 PM
I am not belittling anyone. I am saying that the team needs to play harder, and preserve the win when they have it within their reach. Sweetwater needs to do something about its inconsistency. Here you sit saying 'oh they're just kids' and "that team was just better"...Horse radish. Sweetwater has a damn good team don't give me that, each of those games they could have won. Yeah those teams are good...news flash so is YOUR team. Carillo is arguably one of the finer quarterbacks in 3A and his ability to break a big play is always there, he is a constant threat. And he is only one of several very talented players on that team. I have said that for 6, 7 weeks now. In my opinion YOU are the ones belittling your team when you say 'those other teams were just....better..than us.". No they aren't. You have a hell of a team, don't serve me hamburger and tell me its a steak. I like the way vet put it, no excuses. I thought Mustang fans were fiestier than this. Kinda disappointing. Personally I hope my post makes you all mad. I hope someone prints it off, tapes it to the locker room door, and it pisses the team off every day this week.....It probably won't happen, but I would love for it to ...because maybe it will make them angry enough that they will do something to prove my comments wrong, and I won't look like an idiot by picking them to win again this week.
bc

<small>[ October 12, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: bearcat1 ]</small>

Wtx_coach
10-12-2002, 07:11 PM
vet93:
Guys...I think that you misunderstood my post. You might go back and reread it. I did not say that Sweetwater lacked heart. What I said was that if a team takes another team lightly that has some talent and heart that they will make you pay for taking them lightly. My point was that I thought that Sweetwater did not take a good Snyder team serious enough because of their record. I think that they saw the Greenwood score and thought that Snyder was overated. In the same post I said that I am giving Sweetwater the benefit of the doubt and that I have had them rated as one of the top teams all year long. If have followed Sweetwater as closely as I have for the past two years you will see that they have a tendency to play down to their opponent and to get "up" for the bigger games and play really well. I also said that I thought that they would do well in the playoffs. One comment about "there only 18 years old". I understand that, but on the other hand why can't we expect greater things from our youth. In times past 18 year old "kids" were expected to hold down an occupation and support a family. To suggest that these kids can't prepare for a game on a week to week basis and perform to their capabilities (not necesarrily above their capabilities) is doing these kids a great disservice. We have enough Whiny people in this world looking for an excuse to fail or someone else to blame. Let's let them stand on their accomplishments and failures without making excuses.

Hey Bearcat, relax, you know wildstang said those teams were just better and hes right, the teams were better on those nights they played, yea they have talent, they are just not getting the job done, maybe next week will be better, you cant ever predict how 'KIDS' will play on friday nights.
For instance look at the marlin vs. ennis game, ennis is a way more talented team then marlin, ennis just lost that night and rebounded this friday and probaby will still win state.

Wtx_coach:

wildstangs
10-12-2002, 10:27 PM
bearcat1:
I am not belittling anyone. I am saying that the team needs to play harder, and preserve the win when they have it within their reach. Sweetwater needs to do something about its inconsistency. Here you sit saying 'oh they're just kids' and "that team was just better"...Horse radish. Sweetwater has a damn good team don't give me that, each of those games they could have won. Yeah those teams are good...news flash so is YOUR team. Carillo is arguably one of the finer quarterbacks in 3A and his ability to break a big play is always there, he is a constant threat. And he is only one of several very talented players on that team. I have said that for 6, 7 weeks now. In my opinion YOU are the ones belittling your team when you say 'those other teams were just....better..than us.". No they aren't. You have a hell of a team, don't serve me hamburger and tell me its a steak. I like the way vet put it, no excuses. I thought Mustang fans were fiestier than this. Kinda disappointing. Personally I hope my post makes you all mad. I hope someone prints it off, tapes it to the locker room door, and it pisses the team off every day this week.....It probably won't happen, but I would love for it to ...because maybe it will make them angry enough that they will do something to prove my comments wrong, and I won't look like an idiot by picking them to win again this week.
bcFair enough Bearcat. I understand what you are getting at. Sorry if I jumped at you. Sweetwater lost. Texas lost. It wasnt too good of a day! :)

tors2002
10-13-2002, 03:48 AM
Way to go Bearcat1,just piss of Sweetwater and we haven't even played them yet. Like any team needs an incentive to play us. LOL wink

FBmania
10-13-2002, 05:22 AM
Easy Bearcat, you'll feel better tomorrow. If there is one thing I've learned, It's don't post after an emotional loss. You usually wind saying things a little harsh that you wouldn't normally say. Hang in there Sweetwater!

bearcat1
10-13-2002, 08:44 AM
and so did my Red Raiders.... :(

wildstangs:

bearcat1:
bcFair enough Bearcat. I understand what you are getting at. Sorry if I jumped at you. Sweetwater lost. Texas lost. It wasnt too good of a day! :)