PDA

View Full Version : Islam on Capitol Hill

Bullaholic
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
How do you feel about this? I've got no problem with it as long as it does not turn into an anti-America rally. One such speaker at the podium and I would make this event history.

http://www.islamoncapitolhill.com/

big daddy russ
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I think it's great. We see too many frustrated individuals turning to radical Islam looking for answers these days. And it's not just Islam. Look at the WX-men, David Koresh, etc, etc.

When pent-up frustration looks for solace in religion it typically searches out the passages that talk about hurting others and takes them into its own context.

In that regard, I'm all for giving a larger voice for those who would rather Islam be a device used for healing and uniting rather than killing. Right now, that's our biggest battle in the Middle East and Pakistan.

DDBooger
09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think it's great. We see too many frustrated individuals turning to radical Islam looking for answers these days. And it's not just Islam. Look at the WX-men, David Koresh, etc, etc.

When pent-up frustration looks for solace in religion it typically searches out the passages that talk about hurting others and takes them into its own context.

In that regard, I'm all for giving a larger voice for those who would rather Islam be a device used for healing and uniting rather than killing. Right now, that's our biggest battle in the Middle East and Pakistan. EXCELLENT ANSWER BDR!!

:thumbsup:

Farmersfan
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I also don't have a problem with this. But being the devils advocate on matters of this nature requires that I ask if it would be acceptable if a Athiest or Satanic group held a mass gather in a public place for the purpose of spreading their beliefs? How about a organization of Druids, Witches or the ever controversial KKK? Also consider that with what has transpired in the world the last decade or so it might be a bit unwise to allow Muslims to publically gather because every nutbar or banjo welding hillbilly will be out inforce to show their opinion of Muslims. Aren't we just asking for it with this?

big daddy russ
09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I also don't have a problem with this. But being the devils advocate on matters of this nature requires that I ask if it would be acceptable if a Athiest or Satanic group held a mass gather in a public place for the purpose of spreading their beliefs? How about a organization of Druids, Witches or the ever controversial KKK? Also consider that with what has transpired in the world the last decade or so it might be a bit unwise to allow Muslims to publically gather because every nutbar or banjo welding hillbilly will be out inforce to show their opinion of Muslims. Aren't we just asking for it with this?
My simple answer would be that as long as it isn't a hate group that breeds violence, self-destructive cult, or a group with practices that would hurt others, they have every right to do the same.

About asking for it from the nutjob hillbillies, you're right. But for that matter, aren't we just asking for it from every nutjob Muslim when a million Christians gather together at the Mall in DC?

I know where you're coming from, Farmer, and I completely understand. It's a legitimate point and an opinion that many people share. But by the same token, I think the Bill of Rights in our Constitution was the single most important document in political history concerning individual freedoms, rights, and personal limits. It, in so many words, tells us that we have the right to do anything we want as long it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. The First Amendment gives us the right to peaceably assemble to give a voice to those who feel grieved or pushed down, and peaceful Islam seems to have been pushed very much to the back burner.

Now I'm not Muslim, but I'll be the first to fight for anyone's right to assemble, whether or not I agree with their beliefs, opinions, or anything else. And if this cause is worth the risk, more power to them. It shouldn't be up to anyone except the individual participating as to whether or not they can have an open showing of faith like this.

Hupernikomen
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Freedom of speech is a powerful thing. We shouldn't easily limit it.