PDA

View Full Version : When keeping football stats do you..

Keith7
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
When keeping football stats do you count yards obtained when there is a penalty.. for example a player runs for 24 yards but its called back for holding.. Do you act like that run didn't happen? I always assumed so but I was comparing my stats to another persons this weekend and the rushing yards were way off so I think they counted the yards after the penalty..

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
When keeping football stats do you count yards obtained when there is a penalty.. for example a player runs for 24 yards but its called back for holding.. Do you act like that run didn't happen? I always assumed so but I was comparing my stats to another persons this weekend and the rushing yards were way off so I think they counted the yards after the penalty..

Correct. The 24 yard run goes bye bye, as if it never happened.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
The penalty should negate the stats under the mindset that said play would not have happened had the team not broken the rules (ie player could not have ran a toss 20 yds downfield if the de wasn't held. )

bigwood33
09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
No. If you want to keep a separate category for "yards lost due to penalty" you could do that. I coached for 10 years and we never kept that as a stat but we did talk about it with our kids.

Keith7
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Ok how about this.. Its 3rd and 20, the offense bust off a long run for a touchdown but there is holding on the play.. The holding is down field so they assess the penalty at the spot of the foul right? so now it's 3rd and 8 (making up the spot based on the fake holding call), do you give the runner 12 yards? Do you say its a penalty for +12 yards? Seems a little tricky there

firstdown
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
All positive yardage left after the penalty goes towards your RB stats

bigwood33
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
That is the way that we always did it.

Keith7
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Great, thanks for everyone's help, this really cleared things up

big daddy russ
09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
This is the accepted AP format for stats, FYI.

Matthew328
09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I keep stats for the Morning News...if the penalty is at the LOS or behind it the run doesn't factor into stats (except for the penalty itself)....if the penalty is down field count the yards up to the spot where they mark the penalty from...

Easy example..team is at midfield at guy runs a TD but holding penalty called and they mark it back to the 25...this means penalty occured at the 15...guy gets a 35 yard run