PDA

View Full Version : Black Gold (tru TV)

Bullaholic
09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
This is an oilfield 'reality' show based in the oilfield around Odessa, and I watch a little of this from time-to-time on Wed. The producers of this show would have you think that everybody who works in the oilfield is a drunk or a druggy, or both, and they can't go from one workday to another without getting in a fight, threatening to quit, or being fired. I've never been in the oil patch much, but surely this is overly dramitized for tv. One of you oilfield hands want to shed some truth on this show?

rockdale80
09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This is an oilfield 'reality' show based in the oilfield around Odessa, and I watch a little of this from time-to-time on Wed. The producers of this show would have you think that everybody who works in the oilfield is a drunk or a druggy, or both, and they can't go from one workday to another without getting in a fight, threatening to quit, or being fired. I've never been in the oil patch much, but surely this is overly dramitized for tv. One of you oilfield hands want to shed some truth on this show?

It is exaggerated, but probably not as much as you think. I worked on a rig for a few years so I know first hand.

Farmersfan
09-24-2009, 07:57 AM

I worked for 3 years as a engineer on a wireline logging truck in the early 80's. I haven't watched the show you refer to but I can tell you your description is pretty much what I remember. The "rig hands" were sleepwalking during the days and partying during the nights. At that time, Odessa had more bars and nightclubs than you normally would find in a city 5 times it's size. The crash hit in 82' and things went south in a hurry. Money became tight, jobs became scarce and many, many of the clubs closed. I moved to the Lubbock area and found a different line of work.................

95mustang
09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
The Oilfield is a rough and so are the individuals that work in it.

IrishTex
09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I worked for 3 years as a engineer on a wireline logging truck in the early 80's. I haven't watched the show you refer to but I can tell you your description is pretty much what I remember. The "rig hands" were sleepwalking during the days and partying during the nights. At that time, Odessa had more bars and nightclubs than you normally would find in a city 5 times it's size. The crash hit in 82' and things went south in a hurry. Money became tight, jobs became scarce and many, many of the clubs closed. I moved to the Lubbock area and found a different line of work.................

That's west Texas..

Oil has always produced the up and down economy out there.

Perhaps now, the windmills can change the face of a more secure economic platform for that area.

DDBooger
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
This is an oilfield 'reality' show based in the oilfield around Odessa, and I watch a little of this from time-to-time on Wed. The producers of this show would have you think that everybody who works in the oilfield is a drunk or a druggy, or both, and they can't go from one workday to another without getting in a fight, threatening to quit, or being fired. I've never been in the oil patch much, but surely this is overly dramitized for tv. One of you oilfield hands want to shed some truth on this show? Just about all the one's I knew had some form of addiction be it cocaine, prescription amphetamines, pain killers, alcohol. It's a rough life I suppose.

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe typical of some of the small outfits... but it is different on the big 'uns.

rockdale80
09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Maybe typical of some of the small outfits... but it is different on the big 'uns.

Hahaha....not true. Off shore is slightly more strict, but not much. They say they are strict and safe, but they arent always. Hangovers are common.

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Hahaha....not true. Off shore is slightly more strict, but not much. They say they are strict and safe, but they arent always. Hangovers are common.

*shrugs* hangovers are one thing... but the guys on Black Gold look pretty much like a bunch of yahoos. On bigger outfits you are much more apt to find crews with their "stuff" together.

Farmersfan
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
*shrugs* hangovers are one thing... but the guys on Black Gold look pretty much like a bunch of yahoos. On bigger outfits you are much more apt to find crews with their "stuff" together.

It probably makes for better tv to film the yahoos and morons. All those reality TV shows have the worst of the worst on. All the average people are boring. They want yahoos!!!!

rockdale80
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM

As a whole maybe, but there are plenty of yahoos that roughneck too. For our outfit you would get run off, but roughnecks all know each other regardless of who you work for.

Trashman
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a cousin who actually works for Big Dog Drilling. She hates the show and says that the Roughnecks are encouraged to carry on to make the show more interesting. Big Dog also has a stake in the show so they allow the Roughnecks to do pretty much what ever they want.