PDA

View Full Version : Tyler John Tyler teacher stabbed to death in classroom this morning.....

kaorder1999
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Tyler teacher stabbed to death in classroom (http://www.tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090923/NEWS08/909239995)

A teacher was stabbed early this morning and later died in an an incident which has kept the John Tyler High School campus locked down for much of the morning.

A reliable source told the Tyler Paper that the name of the deceased is Todd Henry, a teacher at John Tyler. Tyler Mayor Barbara Bass interrupted the City Council meeting this morning to say that the individual who had been stabbed had died, and she asked for a moment of prayer in his memory.

Superintendent of Schools Dr. Randy Reid told the Tyler Paper that the incident took place in a classroom. The teacher, who has not been identified, was removed by ambulance to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler. A hospital spokeswoman said the hospital would have no comment on the patient.

The student suspected in the stabbing is in custody, Reid said. The student's name has not yet been released.

Within the next few minutes, Tyler ISD officials are expected to allow parents to pick up their children from John Tyler High School. Concerned parents who live in the apartment complex across from the high school began to cross Loop 323 on foot at 9:24 a.m., but they were met by school district officials and told to stay back. They were not permitted in the building. A Tyler Paper reporter on the scene described a large gathering of parents who complained to Reid and Angela Jenkins, school district spokesperson, about a perceived lack of security at the school.

John Tyler High School was locked down in the 9 a.m. CDT hour today. A Tyler Paper reporter on the scene said all of the gates and doors were locked, three ambulances were on the scene, as well as Tyler and Tyler ISD police. One person was loaded into an ambulance at 9:22 a.m., the Tyler Paper reporter said. The students were moved to a gymnasium while the school was locked down, Reid said.

Emergency radio traffic monitored at the Tyler Paper newsroom indicated that a fight escalated to the point that TISD police had to call for backup from Tyler Police.

Another ambulance was sent to John Tyler High School at approximately 10:10 a.m. CDT, for someone reportedly suffering heart attack or stroke symptoms, according to a Tyler Paper reporter on the scene.

TylerPaper.com will post additional details as they become available.

Updated Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009 at 11:38 a.m. CDT

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
wow :(

HEMOTOXIC
09-23-2009, 12:14 PM
:(

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
From KLTV.com:

Teacher dead, juvenile in police custody after school stabbing

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 9:08 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 23, 2009 12:10 PM CDT

Several sources say the victim was a teacher, Todd R. Henry.

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - A stabbing at John Tyler High School has taken the life of Todd R. Henry.

Tyler police are investigating the horrific situation that happened just before 9am Wednesday morning. According to Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle, Henry was stabbed in the neck. Police do have a juvenile suspect in custody.

The school was placed on lock-down just after the incident. Parents began picking up their children at 10:45am. Traffic in that area is severely congested. None of the other Tyler ISD schools are dismissed.

The church across the street from John Tyler (New Life Community Church) says they are opening their doors to anyone who may want to come pray.

ETMC is not releasing any information. The Tyler Independent School District has not returned any of our calls so far.

We do not yet know who else may have been involved in the incident. Officials have yet to confirm where in the building the stabbing took place. The motivation for the killing is unknown at this time.

We will continue to keep you updated as we receive information and find answers to these questions.

Charlie47
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I guess I'm just too old to understand our society! How a young person/anyone can think that killing anyone is going to make their life better. What a waste, both in the death of a teacher
and the waste of a young life.:( :( :confused:

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
From the Tyler Paper.com (Tyler Morning Telegraph):

UPDATE: John Tyler Teacher Killed In School Stabbing

Todd Henry played keyboards and guitar in the Grant Cook Band

Mayor Announced Teacher's Death At City Council Meeting

Were you inside John Tyler High School this morning? If so, and if you have photos or video to share with TylerPaper.com, please send it to webmaster@tylerpaper.com.

A teacher was stabbed early this morning and later died in an an incident which has kept the John Tyler High School campus locked down for much of the morning.

A reliable source told the Tyler Paper that the name of the deceased is Todd Henry, a teacher at John Tyler. Tyler Mayor Barbara Bass interrupted the City Council meeting this morning to say that the individual who had been stabbed had died, and she asked for a moment of prayer in his memory.

Superintendent of Schools Dr. Randy Reid told the Tyler Paper that the incident took place in a classroom. Henry was removed by ambulance to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler. A hospital spokeswoman said the hospital would have no comment on the patient.

The student suspected in the stabbing is in custody, Reid said. The student's name has not yet been released.

Within the next few minutes, Tyler ISD officials are expected to allow parents to pick up their children from John Tyler High School. Concerned parents who live in the apartment complex across from the high school began to cross Loop 323 on foot at 9:24 a.m., but they were met by school district officials and told to stay back. They were not permitted in the building. A Tyler Paper reporter on the scene described a large gathering of parents who complained to Reid and Angela Jenkins, school district spokesperson, about a perceived lack of security at the school.

John Tyler High School was locked down in the 9 a.m. CDT hour today. A Tyler Paper reporter on the scene said all of the gates and doors were locked, three ambulances were on the scene, as well as Tyler and Tyler ISD police. One person was loaded into an ambulance at 9:22 a.m., the Tyler Paper reporter said. The students were moved to a gymnasium while the school was locked down, Reid said.

Emergency radio traffic monitored at the Tyler Paper newsroom indicated that a fight escalated to the point that TISD police had to call for backup from Tyler Police.

Another ambulance was sent to John Tyler High School at approximately 10:10 a.m. CDT, for someone reportedly suffering heart attack or stroke symptoms, according to a Tyler Paper reporter on the scene.

TylerPaper.com will post additional details as they become available.

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
The link below is a picture of the victim. Apparently I don't know what I'm doing and can't get it to show the picture without clicking the link.

http://tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=TP&Dato=20090923&Kategori=NEWS08&Lopenr=909239995&Ref=AR&MaxH=270&MaxW=360

Rocket
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
And that is why I don't teach anymore... Teachers should get $10k a year in hazard pay.

LE Dad
09-23-2009, 12:37 PM
And people wonder why my kid goes to a 3A school ?? God bless this teacher and yes please bless the idiot who killed him. As for the parents ?? Where were you ?? Sad Sad news.:(

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
And people wonder why my kid goes to a 3A school ??

This kind of thing could happen at ANY school. But like you, I want my kids to go to a smaller school. We are planning on moving into the Bullard school district pretty soon so they can go there.

turbostud
09-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
And that is why I don't teach anymore... Teachers should get $10k a year in hazard pay.

and 10k more a year just because they dont get paid very much.

venomous tat2
09-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I just talked to one of my college classmates that teaches in that dist and she has kid at that school as well , she told me the stabbing happened in a ISS or OCS as we call it class room and the student had just got out of lock up . Thats all she knows at this point . She also told me that JT had security there untill the new prinicipal removed them . My prayers goes out to the family of that teacher and that community . This really bothers me , I'm also a ISS / OCS teacher as well .

Looking4number8
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
And people wonder why my kid goes to a 3A school ?? God bless this teacher and yes please bless the idiot who killed him. As for the parents ?? Where were you ?? Sad Sad news.:(

LE Dad, I could not agree more. I realize this could happen anywhere but it does seem to happen more in the larger schools and towns. I got married in Tyler and my middle daughter was born there. I could not wait to move home because it seemed so violent even back in the 80's

God Bless everyone involved in this especially the family of the victim

kaorder1999
09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
This really bothers me , I'm also a ISS / OCS teacher as well .

me too

kaorder1999
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
from wfaa.com

Jody Henry told The Associated Press that his 50-year-old brother, who was attacked Wednesday morning, was an "accomplished and respected guitarist." Todd Henry was a music therapist who worked with special needs students.

BILLYFRED0000
09-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I just talked to one of my college classmates that teaches in that dist and she has kid at that school as well , she told me the stabbing happened in a ISS or OCS as we call it class room and the student had just got out of lock up . Thats all she knows at this point . She also told me that JT had security there untill the new prinicipal removed them . My prayers goes out to the family of that teacher and that community . This really bothers me , I'm also a ISS / OCS teacher as well .

That kid should not have been in school. Just out of Jail and no security. Let me know what I am missing.

Astrosdawg07
09-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
LE Dad, I could not agree more. I realize this could happen anywhere but it does seem to happen more in the larger schools and towns. I got married in Tyler and my middle daughter was born there. I could not wait to move home because it seemed so violent even back in the 80's

God Bless everyone involved in this especially the family of the victim

Tyler is not a violent town at all, the one actions of this kid should not reflect the whole town.

BuckeyeNut
09-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Very sad

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Tyler is not a violent town at all, the one actions of this kid should not reflect the whole town.

It's definitely not as bad as Longview. I will NEVER!!! live there!

lulu
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM

My daughter is ISS teacher also. She was here at lunch and we were watching the news. I asked her if her students were patted down before they entered the classroom? I don't know if she is allowed to do that.

Astrosdawg07
09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10

Longview does have crimes issues, but things like that will happen when you have a city of over a 100K.

lulu
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Man the woods between Longview and Gilmer are way worse than Longview or Tyler. All those lttle roads off 271 are full of meth labs.
I am amazed at what can be found in there.

poisoned10
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Man the woods between Longview and Gilmer are way worse than Longview or Tyler. All those lttle roads off 271 are full of meth labs.

You won't catch me around Glenwood after 5 pm.

BuckeyeNut
09-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lulu

Ok LuLu you can't get to longview on 271 from gilmer, and were are those Meth Labs???:D :D

zebrablue2
Prayers out to the teachers family! So sad...

BuckeyeNut

Front of Glennwood is ok it the back were all the Tailors are:D :D

BobcatBenny
09-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
and 10k more a year just because they dont get paid very much.
Maybe in your area that is true. I personally feel they are fairly compensated in my area. JMO

It is sad that a teacher was killed by a student. Period.

lulu
09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Ok LuLu you can't get to longview on 271 from gilmer, and were are those Meth Labs???:D :D sorry my bad.....I meant 300. Brain fart

coachc45
09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
The incident occured in a special education classroom. The class had 3 students, a paraprofessional, and the teacher. The students were all self-contained, behavior/special needs children.

All things were normal when the student walked up to the teachers desk and stabbed him with a butcher knife he had smuggled in.

lulu
09-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Lord man I played basketball at the Glenwood gym.
It was little Church community back then. :)

Matthew328
09-23-2009, 08:51 PM
So basically this was a special needs kid who basically lost it, so now we can all at least jump off the bit on how "dangerous" Tyler is.

Buckeye1980
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM

why not ? I live there

BullsFan
09-23-2009, 10:15 PM
On the news here it said that the school had just removed some hall monitors, and the parents were up in arms about it. But I'm not sure how a hall monitor would have helped this situation. The only thing that might have prevented it would have been a metal detector at the doorway. It was a random act of violence that had a very unfortunate result. And I say that as a teacher who has the utmost sympathy for the family of this poor victim.

LE Dad
09-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
why not ? I live there :clap: :clap: Hey 1980 glad to see you back ! :thumbsup:

LE Dad
09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
On the news here it said that the school had just removed some hall monitors, and the parents were up in arms about it. But I'm not sure how a hall monitor would have helped this situation. The only thing that might have prevented it would have been a metal detector at the doorway. It was a random act of violence that had a very unfortunate result. And I say that as a teacher who has the utmost sympathy for the family of this poor victim. No way to stop it. Senseless :confused: :confused:

poisoned10
09-24-2009, 02:10 AM
why not ? I live there

I've heard and know of too many things out there. Maybe some parts aren't bad, but I would rather play it safe.

lulu
09-24-2009, 09:20 AM
why not ? I live there

That area was part of my life for all my school years. I had many close friends and church friends there. I actually grew up on 1650.My parents best friend from there died ladt week,,,,,,wilson rash. I can't even imagine it being bad.

poisoned10
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Glenwood might not be as bad as I have thought it was. I've just always heard things from friends that kept me away from there, not that I ever really had a reason to go there in the 1st place.