PDA

View Full Version : Region 4, Week 4 Preview

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Region 4, Week 4 Preview

This week, three districts in Region 4 start playing games for keeps. The games that will determine who is in, and who is out of the playoffs get started in D 29, 31, & 32. So, we’ll lead off this week’s write-up with a short preview about each district.

District 29
Bandera is the clear favorite in this district as it’s starting to look like the Bulldog’s QB, Mr. Hubble, may even be better then advertised. (He ran for 200+ yards last week vs. Wimberley, IN THE FIRST HALF!) Bandera is a lock for a playoff spot.
The other two spots will be taken up by Devine, Hondo, Pearsall, or possibly Lytle. For Crystal City and Carrizo Springs, it’s about playing spoiler and just trying to pick up a win or two in district play. We think Devine and Hondo are the favorites to earn a post season trip, but we can’t count out the Pearsall Mavericks, especially after their 4-0 pre-district start.
This week's games:

Hondo Owls (2-1) @ Lytle Pirates (2-1)
The winner stays in the playoff race and the loser probably doesn’t, it’s that simple. Hondo has played stiffer pre-district competition and we think they are a better team. But, Lytle knows the importance of this game and we think they keep it close for the first 3 quarters.
Hondo by 10

Bandera Bulldogs (3-1) @ Carrizo Springs Wildcats (1-3)
This is no contest as the Bulldogs dominate.
Bandera by 30

Devine Warhorses (3-1) @ Crystal City Javelinas (1-3)
The Warhorses win easily.
Devine by 27

Pearsall idle

District 31
Clearly the class of this district is Sinton and Ingleside, but we don’t get to see them play each other until October 30th. We think it’s going to be worth the wait.
The final playoff spot will be taken by Mathis, Robstown, West Oso, or Orange Grove. To tell you the truth, we haven’t a clue which of these teams will take that spot, but we know it’ll be a hard fought battle and we wouldn't be surprised at all to see some tie breakers come into play.
Aransas Pass and Falfurrias will struggle to win more than a game or two.
This weeks games:

Robstown (1-2) @ CC West Oso (1-2): THE game of the week in this district. The winner will have a leg up in the playoff hunt. Whoever loses this game, will probably miss the playoffs. Hard to pick against Oso at home.

Mathis (1-2) @ Aransas Pass (0-3): After opening with a win, Mathis has dropped their next 2 games by a combined 7 points. Mathis is too tough for the Panthers this week. Mathis by 14+

Falfurrias (0-3) @ Ingleside (3-0): Another easy win for the Ponies. Ingleside by 35+

Sinton (3-0) @ Orange Grove (1-2): It's easy to say the Pirates will win this game, but we see a possible upset in the making. Orange Grove has beaten the Pirates the last two times in Bulldog country and they are looking to keep that streak alive, but the Pirate defense might have something to say.
Pirates by 10.

District 32.
If ever a district was wide open, it’s this one. The Lyford Bulldogs (3-0) look to be playing the best football so far in pre-district, but the Raymondville Bearkats (2-1) and Port Isabel Tarpons(1-2) look to have played much tougher pre-district foes. Rio Hondo (0-3) the defending district champ, has also played a tough pre-district schedule, but has been blown out in their last two games. The Progreso Red Ants (2-1) have played a very soft pre-district and they along with the Zapata Hawks (0-3) look to be playing a spoiler role. The La Feria Lions (1-2) had quite the post-season run last year, losing to Cuero in the state quarters, but this year their lone pre-district win comes against 2A Santa Rosa and in their two loses, against tough opponents, they were hardly competitive. The Hidalgo Pirates (1-2) also only have one win that came against a very weak Falurrias team, although they did lose on a fluke play in week 0.
We think either Lyford or Raymondville will win this district. Port Isabel looks to be competing for a playoff spot and could contend for the championship if they start to play like many predicted pre-season. La Feria and Rio Hondo look to be rebuilding after strong ’08 seasons. Hidalgo, Progreso, and Zapata just don’t seem to have the players to contend for a playoff spot, but stranger things have happened.
This week's games:

Hidalgo (1-2) @ Port Isabel (1-2)
The Tarpons want to play for the District title and they will be ready for the Pirates.
PI by 17

Lyford (3-0) @ La Feria (1-2)
Lyford is playing well and La Feria looks to be struggling a bit. On the RGV forums, posters are saying the ‘dogs blow out the Lions. We give La Feria a bit more credit as we think their staff knows which games count, but we still think Lyford wins.
Lyford by 6

Raymondville (2-1) @ Progreso (2-1)
We think the Red Ants have a great mascot and very appropriate for South Texas. But Raymondville has a much better football team and the Bearkats cruise.
Raymondville by 20

Rio Hondo (0-3) @ Zapata (0-3)
The Bobcats get their first W this week.
RH by 15

District 25
Bellville v Brookshire Royal: The Brahmas come out snorting fire and roll over Brookshire Royal in a rebound effort after losing a tough one to Navasota.

Giddings v Elgin: The Buffs tackle the 4A Wildcats at home and continue their run up of wins in pre district play. Buffs win this one.

La Grange v Goliad: Homecoming for the Leps and a struggling Goliad team spell trouble for the Tigers. La Grange by a lot.

Sealy at Houston Pius. Sealy may give up a boat load of points in this one and win by 3 tds. Defense?

Columbus @ Luling:
Covered in D27

Smithville is idle

District 26
Brookshire Royal (2-1) @ Bellville (2-1)
Covered in D25

Needville (3-1) vs. (2A) Tidehaven (2-2)
Needville will roll in this game and improve to 4-1.
Prediction: Needville

Stafford (4-0) @ (4A) Houston Reagan (1-2)
Stafford has been impressive thus far and should be 5-0 when district begins.
Prediction: Stafford

Sweeny (2-1) vs. (4A) Bay City (0-4)
Sweeny rebounded last week on the road while Bay City was unimpressive at home vs. Cuero. Sweeny lost 3 of 5 fumbles while Bay City had several miscues and only 4 first downs last week. This week the rivalry will make it close. The winner will have fewer turnovers.
Prediction: Sweeny

West Columbia (1-2) @ (4A) El Campo (3-1)
West Columbia played well vs Houston Kashmere to get their first win. El Campo is one of the most impressive teams in Region 4 for all classes. Don't look for W.C. to get number 2.
Prediction: El Campo

Wharton is Idle

District 27
Luling vs. Columbus
Luling ended its 15 game losing streak last week, but I don't think it will be enough momentum to beat Columbus.
Cardinals by 14.

Poteet vs. Navarro
Poteet has a great running game but Navarro has a better defense. Navarro in a close one.

Marion @ Yoakum
Covered in D28

LaVernia @ Cuero
Covered in D28

Sam Houston is idle

Somerset is idle a bye.

D28
Cuero (4-0) vs. La Vernia (3-1)
This is clearly the game of the week in the region. Matches two state ranked teams with Cuero in the top-10 of just about every poll you can find and in the top 5 of some and La Vernia ranked anywhere from 11th to 20th in the state. Last year the Bears put it to a very good Cuero team and you can bet the Gobblers will be looking to return the favor. What these teams have in common is they are both well coached, fundamentally sound football teams; they will not beat themselves. The Gobblers are more offensively explosive, but the Bears are physical and can control the tempo. A great high school football match-up between two teams that get it right the vast majority of the time. Gobblers have the home field edge and the advantage at QB as we think they have an elite field general in Tyler Arndt. He’s the difference in this game.
Cuero by 5

Goliad (0-4) @ La Grange (4-0)
Covered in D25

Marion (1-3) @ Yoakum (1-2)
The Bulldogs have too much power, speed and size for Marion.
Yoakum by 25

Palacios (2-2) @. 1A Shiner
We like Shiner because they brew very good beer in that town. But we think the Sharks are going to win the game.
Palacios by 4

Gonzales (0-4) @ 4A Kyle Lehman
The Lehman Lobos return most of their players from an ’08 campaign and that’s probably enough to defeat the winless Apaches.
Lehman by 14

Edna is idle

big daddy russ
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I appreciate all the work you do. This is just one of the reasons I love this site.

themsu97
09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree... great work on this... makes for some fun reading

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
:2thumbsup

good stuff

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
thanks again Reg IV Editor.. I got to looking at the D28 competition and who they've played.. Guess Palacios is waiting until district begins to play a 3A team lol:D
they've played
East Bernard
Tidehaven
Brazos Consolidated
Van Vleck
Shiner (this week)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

99IHSMustang
09-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
Region 4, Week 4 Preview

Falfurrias (0-3) @ Ingleside (3-0): Another easy win for the Ponies. Ingleside by 35+

Get it right... :rolleyes: Its the Ingleside Mustangs!

Ingleside Fan
09-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang

Yea! what he said! Our Junior High teams are called the Ponies.

Thanks for all your work the week in preview is a great addition for the downlow. Great Job.:)

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 01:16 PM

How rude! Someone takes the time and energy to do this nice breakdown of all of Reg IV and all you have is a smarty pants comment.. totally lack of class.

***I changed the "disguised curse word"**** ($$) so as to not offend anyone :p

99IHSMustang
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
How rude! Someone takes the time and energy to do this nice breakdown of all of Reg IV and all you have is a smarty-pants comment.. totally lack of class.

Well, itlooked like a blatent diss to me... and if it wasn't well then that is my mistake. We are obviously not the "Ponies" and as for having a lack of class, I am not the one disguising a curse word. Good day to you... :hand:

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, itlooked like a blatent diss to me... and if it wasn't well then that is my mistake. We are obviously not the "Ponies" and as for having a lack of class, I am not the one disguising a curse word. Good day to you... :hand:

Ponies is slang for Mustangs aka "term of endearment" . Saying your team is going to win by 35 is a DISS? Get over yourself. :hand:

99IHSMustang
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Ponies is slang for Mustangs aka "term of endearment" . Saying your team is going to win by 35 is a DISS? Get over yourself. :hand:

I think the point went over your heard... nvm :doh:

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I think the point went over your heard... nvm :doh:

What point - please enlighten me?

Reg IV Editor does a great job and tries to put some humor into his articles. I wish everyone could see that. Thanks again Reg IV Editor!

99IHSMustang
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
What point - please enlighten me?

Reg IV Editor does a great job and tries to put some humor into his articles. I wish everyone could see that. Thanks again Reg IV Editor!

1. "Ponies" does not = Mustangs

2. Everyone has a different sense of humor... apparently I don't or just didn't find it funny.

I will agree to disagree.

themsu97
09-23-2009, 02:22 PM

2. Everyone has a different sense of humor... apparently I don't or just didn't find it funny.

thin skinned are we?

SMU are the Mustangs... the backfield of James, Dickerson and McIlhenny were the famed Pony Express...

Ponies has long been an endearing nickname for any horse...

like Cats for any cat, Tigers, Leopards, etc...

yes, get over yourself

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh My Gooooooooooodnesssssssssss.

Ingleside Fan
09-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Oh My Gooooooooooodnesssssssssss.
WOW! Didn't think it would go this way???
"Can't we all just get along?":inlove:

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Seriously, it wasn't meant in any way as a negative...I think if you read what we write in totality, you'll see we give the Mustangs a lot of love.

Last week we call the Bellville Brahmas the bulls one time....and got chewed out about that and now we predict a lopsided victory for Ingleside as well as say we think they are one of the district favorites and we get lambasted for calling them ponies...please folks, realize we are not against any team or mascot here.

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Seriously, it wasn't meant in any way as a negative...I think if you read what we write in totality, you'll see we give the Mustangs a lot of love.

Last week we call the Bellville Brahmas the bulls one time....and got chewed out about that and now we predict a lopsided victory for Ingleside as well as say we think they are one of the district favorites and we get lambasted for calling them ponies...please folks, realize we are not against any team or mascot here. That's why I gave up the gig. Every week I was defending something. GOTW, picks, you name it!

Thanks, but no thanks!

footballguru
09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
La Grange v Goliad: Homecoming for the Leps and a struggling Goliad team spell trouble for the Tigers. La Grange by a lot.

As a La Grange follower I did not appreciate being called Leps.

Leps in a round about way, as every one else will agree, can easly be misconstrued to mean a smallish green man with pointed shoes. We are not leprechauns. We are leopards.

hehe

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by footballguru

Leps in a round about way, as every one else will agree, can easly be misconstrued to mean a smallish green man with pointed shoes. We are not leprechauns. We are leopards.

hehe

;) :D

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by footballguru

hehe

Just remember, the complete definition is a smallish green man with magical powers who knows where treasure is.

Magical powers to win football games?
treasure = trophy....see, not so bad now?

Ranger Mom
09-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That's why I gave up the gig. Every week I was defending something. GOTW, picks, you name it!

Thanks, but no thanks!

It's just ridiculous!!!

I read the above "exchange" and just shook my head!!!

You would think after 6 years of doing this, I would be used it....but some of the "silly complaints" just never cease to amaze me.

:doh:

Ranger Mom
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Last week we call the Bellville Brahmas the bulls one time....and got chewed out about that and now we predict a lopsided victory for Ingleside as well as say we think they are one of the district favorites and we get lambasted for calling them ponies...please folks, realize we are not against any team or mascot here.

You might as well learn the lesson we mods learned a long time ago...........YOU ARE DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!!!!"

buff4life
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Wow get a life...all the work he does, be glad I'm not a mod cuz you'd be riding the Pony Express outta here :devil:

Ranger Mom
09-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Wow get a life...all the work he does, be glad I'm not a mod cuz you'd be riding the Pony Express outta here :devil:

Move The Chains
09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
West Columbia had a devastating injury. Lost a starting CB/WR that went both ways to a torn ACL. Really sucks for them, because they were playing well despite the 1-2 record. He was a key player.

99IHSMustang
09-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Apparently disagreeing with and correcting the way something was worded around here is a crime. If you ever look at any of my posts they are never geared towards hate or disrespect. Which is more than I can say for some people.

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Just keep in mind it truly wasn't any kind of slight. We write about a lot of teams and we don't make much doing it so we try and be clever sometimes. If it's not fun then what's the point?
You seemed truly miffed, so we got on you for being so serious. Next time use one of those smilly things.
Promise no more plays on the mustang name.

44INAROW
It's not a crime - I never said it was! I did say it was rude. Dang, I wasn't going to comment again :mad: :doh:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
Port Isabel Tarpons (1-2)

The two losses were to 31-3A CC West Oso (26-20) and to 32-4A powerhouse Edcouch-Elsa (14-13).

In both games, there were mistakes made by the Tarpons that ended up costing them dearly. Fumbles, yet again, as well as a lack of a kicking game seem to be the main problems for the Tarpons again this season. They could very easily be 3-0 if they could have kept the turnovers to a bare minimum.

IF the Tarpons can eliminate the turnover bug, they could very easily run the table in 32-3A. Despite their record, the defense is very strong this year, but last time I checked, it's the offense that scores points (mainly). The offense needs to keep moving the ball and NOT turn it over.

BuckeyeNut
09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by buff4life

Ohhh snapps......:hand: :hand:

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
We've been hearing from the valley all along that the Tarpons (cool mascot and we promise never to call you a fish...or minnow) will be a force. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the title, but we just called 'em like we see 'em and that ole turnover bug can stay with you some times.

Gobbler Fan
09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
We've been hearing from the valley all along that the Tarpons (cool mascot and we promise never to call you a fish...or minnow) will be a force. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the title, but we just called 'em like we see 'em and that ole turnover bug can stay with you some times.

All these years I was mistakenly putting a M instead of a R in their mascot name ....my bad PI fans it will never happen again .

Thanks for the heads up R4 editor ...you are the man / woman ?

Pudlugger
09-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Well there's always The Jackasses. :kiss:

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
We've been hearing from the valley all along that the Tarpons (cool mascot and we promise never to call you a fish...or minnow) Oh man, that made ma laugh out loud!

Too funny.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM

The turnover bug has been with PI for the past several years. It doesn't seem to want to go away anytime soon either.

There's really only one way to fix that, and I think everyone else will agree with me with what I'm thinking. It doesn't need to be said, that's for sure, mainly because it's been said several times over the past couple of years.

CueroDad08
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
thanks again Reg IV Editor.. I got to looking at the D28 competition and who they've played.. Guess Palacios is waiting until district begins to play a 3A team lol:D
they've played
East Bernard
Tidehaven
Brazos Consolidated
Van Vleck
Shiner (this week)

Shiner WILL beat Palacios........This Shiner team not many know about on the Downlow. But Ask Yoakum about how tuff they are. Big and Fast. They will make a deep run once again in 1A playoffs.

CueroDad08
09-23-2009, 05:22 PM

We the "Gobblers" have been called alot worse, It is just part of being a Winner. I take it the "Mustangs - Pony's" are not quite ready yet.

sinton66
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Sheesh! If I had a dollar everytime someone referred to our team as the Pier-rats or Pie-rats I could probably retire WITHOUT winning the lottery.:rolleyes:

Ingleside Fan
09-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well there's always The Jackasses. :kiss:

My wife always uses that on me.;) :D

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Shiner WILL beat Palacios........This Shiner team not many know about on the Downlow. But Ask Yoakum about how tuff they are. Big and Fast. They will make a deep run once again in 1A playoffs.

Remember this from week 0
"I would have to Disagree with you on The Hallettsville and Edna game. Hallettsville is loaded with a group of Jrs this year. This will be a team to keep up with and very fun to watch. Hallettsville WILL win this one." (Edna 26, Halletsville 12)

Capital WILL last time you used it. We know all about Shiner and we think they can most definitly beat Palacios, after all they beat 'em last year. But, to our surprise, Palacios is actually playing decent, albeit not against the toughest opponents. But the Sharks have about as small a pool of "football kids" as anyone in 3A. I hope they drop to 2A next year as that is where they belong. Anyhow, just wanted to point out that it's not always as automatic as some may think.

footballgal
09-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I appreciate all the work you do. This is just one of the reasons I love this site.
Sorry I have not had time to say it, but you or ya'll are doing an awesome job!!:clap:

Old Green
09-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Great preview again R4Editor.:clap:

CueroDad08
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Remember this from week 0
"I would have to Disagree with you on The Hallettsville and Edna game. Hallettsville is loaded with a group of Jrs this year. This will be a team to keep up with and very fun to watch. Hallettsville WILL win this one." (Edna 26, Halletsville 12)

Capital WILL last time you used it. We know all about Shiner and we think they can most definitly beat Palacios, after all they beat 'em last year. But, to our surprise, Palacios is actually playing decent, albeit not against the toughest opponents. But the Sharks have about as small a pool of "football kids" as anyone in 3A. I hope they drop to 2A next year as that is where they belong. Anyhow, just wanted to point out that it's not always as automatic as some may think.

Dang you dont forget anything do you?....lol
No really you do a great job at this each week. We all enjoy reading it each week. But yea I got to say you got that Edna - Hallettsville game right on the money. But I will still give you heck if Shiner pulls it off....lol

Cowboy_Up
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I sure wish we were playing this week, we already had a bye due to the flu and I thought we might pick up a game due to all the weather cancellations.
Oh, well, guess its off to Cuero to watch that one. Good luck all and safe travels.